• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria |OT| The Band of the Crowe

DKL

Use and abuse Quick Save.

This is godlike on PC too since it saves so fast that I sometimes need to save again because I wasn't sure I did the first time.

In comparison, it feels like molasses on PS4 when I was playing with my friends since it has to go into the PS4 exclusive menu and everything.

Yeah, quick save is your best friend.

I don't quite abuse it, but every time I come across something that looks intimidating, I always quick save. For story bosses I believe there's gotta be a save point just before the encounter. Also, if you find yourself getting ganked with only like 2 or 1 party member left, I'd advise you to retreat. Yes, you can still retreat while lying on the ground. It has helped me at least a couple of times.

Zafir

This is godlike on PC too since it saves so fast that I sometimes need to save again because I wasn't sure I did the first time.

In comparison, it feels like molasses on PS4 when I was playing with my friends since it has to go into the PS4 exclusive menu and everything.

The loading in general is really impressive on PC. I'm just doing side quests near the end of the game, and the fact that I can instantly teleport across the map with little to no loading is fantastic.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I hate this so much. I feel like so many japanese games use the console UI to save and it always bothered me, even on PS3. On top of it just being slower.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This game sure does go out of its way to mention
Edna
a lot without actually showing
her

Bladenic

This game sure does go out of its way to mention
Edna
a lot without actually showing
her

Full game spoilers regarding that character
Really hoped she would've made at least one appearance during postgame sidequests but all we get is a letter :/

So, after many years and Tales games under my belt, I'm finally trying to play as a magic user (Magilou). I love her too much to not give her a shot. I'm really only finding healing to be an issue, especially in a fight with multiple aggressive enemies. Is there some tip to make healing smoother/faster during a combo?

I've only been playing her for 30 min. or so, but so far I've learned you can hold a spell by holding the spell button. Too bad you can't dodge and unleash it :p. Sometimes I bring up the artes menu after running away to heal myself/allies, but that doesn't feel right--like I'm missing something. I have healing spells on Stage 3 and 4, simply because I'm working under the assumption that the later the spells come, the faster they get cast (someone confirm?), but the preceding stuff gets me about mid-range from enemies and then I just get interrupted when trying to cast Healing Circle.

EDIT: Yeah, I'm trash at her. I have to use life bottles for regular fights. Still fun, though.

EDIT 2: OH, I can just dodge in place if I want a certain spell. I do that with Velvet... why did I completely forget with Magilou.

Bladenic

Whew, everything completed at just 100 hours. Still have the grindy trophies to go, and I think I may just go for Platinum (unless I get bored doing it) since I haven't Platinumed any Tales game besides Xillia (that damn balloon trophy in Hearts R then my save corrupting prevented that one :/ ).

Still 100 hours is more than I spent on any other Tales game since Vesperia. Great game, I hope I actually write a big post on it like I said I would (I almost never do).

CrazyDude

Just beat the game.

The credit pictures are assumed to be Velvet's dreams right while being sealed away with no name god right?

Alucrid

Banned
Need to complete the post-game dungeon. It's long.

it also has the worst thing about the game

a timer to complete fights. really?

Whew, everything completed at just 100 hours. Still have the grindy trophies to go, and I think I may just go for Platinum (unless I get bored doing it) since I haven't Platinumed any Tales game besides Xillia (that damn balloon trophy in Hearts R then my save corrupting prevented that one :/ ).

Still 100 hours is more than I spent on any other Tales game since Vesperia. Great game, I hope I actually write a big post on it like I said I would (I almost never do).

i gave up. i was ok grinding to 200, but some of the titles have such asinine requirements. really don't feel like farming hundreds of mystic artes and thousands of enemies. maybe i'll pick the game back up when it's $8 like zesteria and finish it up

Bladenic

it also has the worst thing about the game

a timer to complete fights. really?

It's not bad, I was never in a rush or strapped for time. But I always coughed up the katz spirits to help me out.

Just beat the game.

The credit pictures are assumed to be Velvet's dreams right while being sealed away with no name god right?

That, or just showing what their life could've been like. Though since the last image has Laphicet in it, I assume he was doing some god shit to give her an eternally happy dream.

Alucrid

Banned
It's not bad, I was never in a rush or strapped for time. But I always coughed up the katz spirits to help me out.

they weren't there for the last two areas unless i just totally missed them. being underleveled by 20 didn't help either i suppose.

Bladenic

they weren't there for the last two areas unless i just totally missed them. being underleveled by 20 didn't help either i suppose.

On the Hexen area it's hidden in a bush and in the Throne area it's hidden in a corner. Had to look up the last one because I definitely wasn't gonna try without the aid

CrazyDude

Just a general question, but:
Heavy Spoilers.
Was Velvet's brother always an evil asshole, or did he go into with good intention and the influence of no name god warped his mind into an asshole?

Bladenic

Was Velvet's brother always an evil asshole, or did he go into with good intention and the influence of no name god warped his mind into an asshole?

I think it's more like Innominat was his own being, Laphi was merely his vessel and retained his memories. At least that's how I saw it.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

He was going to die from the 12 years disease and he honestly thought his sacrifice would help make the world better. Obviously Innominat power warped his mind and he was basically the vessel to Innominat because he didnt seem to have bad intentions before..

In other spoilers news I made a depressing wallpaper of the credits SO DONT CLICK IF YOU HAVENT FINISHED THE GAME

kennyamr

Just finished today and I'm blown away.

Love every part of it, it's just perfect.

Berseria def won me back. I can't wait for the next installment.

I love stories, that's the main reason I play videogames and this one was great. Characters are surprisingly very likeable and with unique realistic personalities. The overall writing and pacing were very well done, including the comedy, drama, and the action scenes. That's why I'd give it a 9/10.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I think this looks cute on Velvet.

Tales-of-Berseria-DLC-costumes-Velvet-Rutee-Katrea.jpg

Cool, Rutee is one of the costume crossovers! Will buy this.

Having to go through the forest to get the Salehtomah flower really made it apparent just how slow the walking speed in this game is. Really wish it was at least twice as fast as it already is...

I remember reading in an interview (I think it was on Gematsu) that they added the Geo board because players complained about the slow movement in the other games, but why do developers do shit like this? They should just make you move faster by default instead of adding some faster method that you don't even have access to for half of the game.

Alucrid

Banned
Having to go through the forest to get the Salehtomah flower really made it apparent just how slow the walking speed in this game is. Really wish it was at least twice as fast as it already is...

I remember reading in an interview (I think it was on Gematsu) that they added the Geo board because players complained about the slow movement in the other games, but why do developers do shit like this? They should just make you move faster by default instead of adding some faster method that you don't even have access to for half of the game.

zesteria was great with maxed out movement speed from lord of the lands. nothing like that here sadly. i think 30% extra is the max

aravuus

Omg the hot springs event ������ best in the series lmao

I agree they need to drop this equipment system. I miss the days where unique equipment mattered. I mean, the strongest weapons are all titled Unnamed insert weapon. How lame.

Is there another hot springs event in addition to the one that happens during the main story? Where it's just
Phi and Velvet
talking? How/where do you get it?

e: ah, looks like it was answered. Post-game dungeon, eh... Might just Youtube the hot springs stuff later.

Wagram

This game has some issues, but boy does it have its own charm. The more I play it the more I really like the characters and story. They did a very good job in this regard.

Bladenic

I think Berseria has some of the best NPCs in the series. Not only did they matter but they were hilarious and touching too.

Bladenic

Kamoana voice acting tho...

She's actually fine in many instances. Maybe she just grew on me, but I think she's a lot more convincing as a young girl that Laphicet's VA who's WILDLY inconsistent.

The crying is definitely inexcusable though.

Renmyra

She's actually fine in many instances. Maybe she just grew on me, but I think she's a lot more convincing as a young girl that Laphicet's VA who's WILDLY inconsistent.

The crying is definitely inexcusable though.

She sounds llike a 50 year old woman who's smoked for the better part of her life. I started skipping her lines because I honestly can't stand it at all.

DKL

So, after many years and Tales games under my belt, I'm finally trying to play as a magic user (Magilou). I love her too much to not give her a shot. I'm really only finding healing to be an issue, especially in a fight with multiple aggressive enemies. Is there some tip to make healing smoother/faster during a combo?

I've only been playing her for 30 min. or so, but so far I've learned you can hold a spell by holding the spell button. Too bad you can't dodge and unleash it :p. Sometimes I bring up the artes menu after running away to heal myself/allies, but that doesn't feel right--like I'm missing something. I have healing spells on Stage 3 and 4, simply because I'm working under the assumption that the later the spells come, the faster they get cast (someone confirm?), but the preceding stuff gets me about mid-range from enemies and then I just get interrupted when trying to cast Healing Circle.

EDIT: Yeah, I'm trash at her. I have to use life bottles for regular fights. Still fun, though.

EDIT 2: OH, I can just dodge in place if I want a certain spell. I do that with Velvet... why did I completely forget with Magilou.

The quickest way to heal with her is to whiff R2 counter magic even if you don't see enemies casting on screen. You apparently still get health back even if you don't trigger the thing.

That said, the quickest way to get diamonds to do this is to spam meteor drop, which has a gigantic hitbox and almost always stuns.

(backdashing into this move is amazing and will stop most things in its tracks should they choose to pursue you)

That move is really funny since it's like a magic spell, but without the casting time. That said, should you insist on using magic, you do indeed get a faster casting time the further down the spell is in your combo chain.

(the fastest time I believe being in the fifth part of a combo)

That said, I haven't checked the movelist in a while and it's quite possible that she has something more busted than the meteor drop, but that move can carry you through most of the game and is perfect for enemies/bosses that have a stupid AOE that won't let you abuse them up close.

The worst feeling in the world is fighting a code red monster, it being a long hard fight that took everything your party had and you being rewarded....0.01 grade because you had to use so many items.

Its like...fuck. Stupid fucking octopus shell monster thing. WHY IS YOUR AOE FULL AREA AND HAS HARD TO JUDGE SAFE SPOTS!?

Ydelnae

Damn, the party really treats Eleanor like trash in every encounter lol

I would love if Magilou would have ended up being the antagonist. The Tales series really needs a villain that's not dead serious about morals and it's just crazy for the sake of it. I'm liking Artorius, but right now he feels too similar to Van.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Damn, the party really treats Eleanor like trash in every encounter lol

I would love if Magilou would have ended up being the antagonist. The Tales series really needs a villain that's not dead serious about morals and it's just crazy for the sake of it. I'm liking Artorius, but right now he feels too similar to Van.

Lol Magilou as the antagonist and the reasoning would be Kefka like wouldnt it?

Top Bottom