• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria |OT| The Band of the Crowe

After 60 hours, just finished it. damn the ending was some deep shit.
'twas a fun ride. Long and repetitive, but fun.

Probably my favorite Tales game so far, from the few I've played.

R0ckman

Bamco gets it.

fhU21SV.png

Yeah she is one of the best damn characters in a loong time.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Anyone that's played Zestiria, how much of the game is left after Zavied joins? I want to finish this one first

You still have a good deal left, but are entering the final act, I'd say at least 10+ hours, possibly closer to 15. The game really pads out things out in an irritating way in that last stretch too(triforce hunt!).

R0ckman

After playing on higher difficulties I think the battle and the system is a bit weak. I played on higher difficulties to master more skills so I can start character builds but a lot of these are kind of lame and reflect on the battle system being this roundabout mess where it has ridiculous mechanics to justify the weaker design decisions in the skill system.

Rather than having characters focus only on specific battle basics like defense, spells and attack, they are built around skill gimmicks. Because of this, they justify stacking skills for status immunities by insanely stupid battle scenarios:

To almost force you to waste time on builds that give you 100% immunity to certain statuses they have enemies that spam spells that take up half the map and status you. What should have traditionally gone to a charm is now a grinding mission. I honestly want to stick that poison or stun charm on and forget it. Not spend 2 hours grinding gear so I can be immune to the stuff.

If they are so obessed with skill customization why not make an item alchemy system where you can actually create gear with a larger pool of skills to mix and match. Maybe a better version of Rebirth's system. I don't know, I just hate this one anything but this.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
If they are so obessed with skill customization why not make an item alchemy system where you can actually create gear with a larger pool of skills to mix and match. Maybe a better version of Rebirth's system. I don't know, I just hate this one anything but this.

Learn from Atelier alchemy tbh

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Beat the game.

Laphicet as Maotelus. Damn. I had it spoiled by accident, but still. Heldalf can go to hell from what I remember of Zestiria's plot, because it seemed like Maotelus was genuinely good before.

The happy alternate reality montage was great. The game was a constant spiral of despair up until the very last cutscene, but then you learn (at least from my interpretation) that Velvet and Laphi got to live the lives they should have through their dreams.

I loved Velvet's character development. She's hell bent on revenge, and when Laphi comes back into the picture as the main bad guy, she understandably snaps. When she pulls herself back together, she becomes true Tales hero material without losing her anti-hero status. It was a believable progression for the entire game, from loving sister to vengeful sister to broken mess to determined hero. Her "base" personalty - the loving side - shone through in all of her incarnations in some way. All the poor girl ever wanted to do was make quiche for her family. Geez.

One complaint is that, even after Artorius reveals himself to have gone off the deep end, the party still constantly calls to attention the fact that they're "monsters" and "the bad guys." Um... guys, no you aren't. You may be going against who the people think are the good guys, but you're definitely doing the best you can with a broken situation. It's an example of the world being so messed up that the lines between good and bad become blurred and people are forced to make tough decisions.

I think the writers did a pretty good job of conveying this aside from making it a bit too heavy handed at times. Your party may do questionable things, but they're still "the good guys," even if they're fighting the "other good guys." It's not like they never question their methods, either.

Overall, amazing, but not flawless, game. I can't believe how well it connected to Zestiria while also being completely stand-alone. It meandered a bit in the middle, and could have cut out maybe five or ten hours for better pacing, but it certainly was my favorite Tales since Vesperia. Now if only they went back to fixed camera angles and got rid of those giant fields and endless corridors...

Also, spoiler free pictures of the final dungeon

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Overall, amazing, but not flawless, game. I can't believe how well it connected to Zestiria while also being completely stand-alone. It meandered a bit in the middle, and could have cut out maybe five or ten hours for better pacing, but it certainly was my favorite Tales since Vesperia. Now if only they went back to fixed camera angles and got rid of those giant fields and endless corridors...

Also, spoiler free pictures of the final dungeon
I wouldnt mind much going back to Graces F world style but improved. Them limiting stuff since it was originally for Wii actually panned out better than the big worlds they tried from Xillia - Berseria. Also gimme back discovery areas.

R0ckman

Does anyone know what triggers Laphicets victory quotes? For a while they all went to Velvet when he got the final blow then all of a sudden he got his own victory lines.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Oh shit at these Berseria references in Zestiria

Spoilers for both games

I wouldnt mind much going back to Graces F world style but improved. Them limiting stuff since it was originally for Wii actually panned out better than the big worlds they tried from Xillia - Berseria. Also gimme back discovery areas.
Agreed.

Bladenic

This was a step back in Berseria. Searching for discoveries and monoliths was awesome and rewarding!

I also liked that Zestiria had the party comment on any new enemies you fought, both in battle and the enemy info. In battle chatter was considerably toned down in Berseria. Of course there are way more and better skits so it's a fair trade.

Arkeus

This was a step back in Berseria. Searching for discoveries and monoliths was awesome and rewarding!

I also liked that Zestiria had the party comment on any new enemies you fought, both in battle and the enemy info. In battle chatter was considerably toned down in Berseria. Of course there are way more and better skits so it's a fair trade.

It's a pity that the skill system in Zestiria was gated behind endless grind as otherwise it was really well done.

Also, yeah, a lot of the secondary stuff like battle/info quotes and discovery sites were really cool.

Dinda

New Steam patch that fixes AI and Audio Bug is out! (restart Steam if it doesn't load automatically)

Daaaaamn! That AI Fix. I really didn't realize how bad it was. Feels weird and way more hectic now that everyone is actually doing something instead of only me.

Lulubop

New Steam patch that fixes AI and Audio Bug is out! (restart Steam if it doesn't load automatically)

Daaaaamn! That AI Fix. I really didn't realize how bad it was. Feels weird and way more hectic now that everyone is actually doing something instead of only me.

Time to jump back in

Pejo

Trying not to read too much of the thread for misc spoilers until I beat the game, but has the PC version received an AI fix patch yet? I've been using the VJoy fix for now, but I'd love to not have to.

Renmyra

They're still pretty useless on Dire foes. Ruining my grade gainz by getting instagibbed.

kewlmyc

Trying not to read too much of the thread for misc spoilers until I beat the game, but has the PC version received an AI fix patch yet? I've been using the VJoy fix for now, but I'd love to not have to.

No it hasn't. The community manager says that they're working on it an a 7.1 audio fix.

Oh, never mind. I'm full of shit. Glad it's fixed already.

Lulubop

check the post above yours...

I stopped playing once I got my second party member to wait for this fix. Sounds like it was worth it.

Finally I am free from the horrors of vjoy.

Wagram

I know people like Magilou a lot. I like her as well (maybe not as much as her counterparts in Pascal/Beryl, but I do). However, I think Eizen has been the best character so far for me. I like his motivations and his quirkiness. Some of his skits are among the best in the series.

rickyson1

no kidding feels so weird seeing the AI actually using break souls and mystic artes all of a sudden

When do you suppose they might fix some of localization errors like the (very minor cameo item spoiler)
Lulu weapon for Magilou(?) not being called Rollo (which was the previously localized name of the cat in Xillia 2)
, some of the cutoff NPC voice lines in the endgame (that I've just heard about, I can't personally verify this since I haven't even gotten the game yet), and other issues like the highest difficulty setting still being called "hell mode" in some places but not others. I was hoping they'd iron out these little issues as it seems they may have rushed the localization a bit and it'd be great if they could smooth it out a bit.

When do you suppose they might fix some of localization errors like the (very minor cameo item spoiler)
Lulu weapon for Magilou(?) not being called Rollo (which was the previously localized name of the cat in Xillia 2)
, some of the cutoff NPC voice lines in the endgame (that I've just heard about, I can't personally verify this since I haven't even gotten the game yet), and other issues like the highest difficulty setting still being called "hell mode" in some places but not others. I was hoping they'd iron out these little issues as it seems they may have rushed the localization a bit and it'd be great if they could smooth it out a bit.

They'll never fix any of this.

Jiraiza

I know people like Magilou a lot. I like her as well (maybe not as much as her counterparts in Pascal/Beryl, but I do). However, I think Eizen has been the best character so far for me. I like his motivations and his quirkiness. Some of his skits are among the best in the series.

The dorkiest guy in the cast, indeed. The skit where
Rokurou provides him with multiple coins to flip is probably one of my favorites.

Wow this games story really ramped up in the past few hours I've been playing. How much further do I have to go if i'm
in Innominants domain?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just beat the game at 51 hours. Should be 2017 GOTY.
People weren't kidding about the final dungeon being long lol.
I was hoping that the ending would involve
Velvet going back to normal and making some quiche, but ah well....
Now on to post-game goodness!

CrazyDude

Well in a way she did, in her dream induced reality from the credits.

minor ending spoilers
I don't know why anyone would expect a completely happy ending for Velvet given the way the narrative was going combined with the Tales series having quite a history of bittersweet endings.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Where does the Steam version save your save data?

edit: nevermind, it's at %STEAM%/userdata/%profile%/429660/remote/

jrush64

Banned
Decided to bench this game for a while till I get through Zestiria. This game is way superior though. Zestiria has so many problems, I remember why I stopped playing it. I'll have to power through. What the hell is it with that games equipment system? Why make something so stupidly complicated. I don't even remember how it works.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Decided to bench this game for a while till I get through Zestiria. This game is way superior though. Zestiria has so many problems, I remember why I stopped playing it. I'll have to power through. What the hell is it with that games equipment system? Why make something so stupidly complicated. I don't even remember how it works.

You needn't really concern over the equipment system much really in Zestiria. Spent a lot of time trying to line up runes for all sorts of benefits early on, but got sick of it and just ignored it entirely for most of the game. Besides you don't really have much opportunity to really dug into it until ng+ anyway when some helpful features pop up.

Top Bottom