• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria |OT| The Band of the Crowe

Just fought the
lizard boss
and i've got to say this is the best tales game I've played better than vesperia even. Their dialogues are really funny and i really love the story. Combat is really fun too

Just started playing this tonight and I'm really enjoying it so far. Can anyone clarify the way Artes work? I'm used to the old O+direction format for Artes, and it seems like they went with some kind of flow-chart format this time.

Just started playing this tonight and I'm really enjoying it so far. Can anyone clarify the way Artes work? I'm used to the old O+direction format for Artes, and it seems like they went with some kind of flow-chart format this time.

I think you just keep spamming the button and it will follow the arte for that stage.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

You create the combos basically. You can either set the buttons to different elements to cover everything or tweak per area or encountersto exploit the combat in the way you want basically.

Rainy

Banned
Some of the Dire Foes are pretty tough...and frustrating.
I just fought the Kraken one on the road to Palamedes. In the second half of the fight it was one hit K.O.'ing.

Vazra

I just fought the Kraken one on the road to Palamedes. In the second half of the fight it was one hit K.O.'ing.

Lol I returned to that one pretty later on. There is another one that is that bad or worse.

kewlmyc

10 hours into the game on hard, and I haven't been able to beat any of them. However that was before I set all of my party members to target weaknesses, so maybe I'll stand a chance next time.

Rainy

Banned
Lol I returned to that one pretty later on. There is another one that is that bad or worse.

I can only imagine haha. I can definitely beat them, it's just that I have to go in with full Life Bottles and Apple/Peach Gels. Used like 10 Life Bottles in this last fight.

10 hours into the game on hard, and I haven't been able to beat any of them. However that was before I set all of my party members to target weaknesses, so maybe I'll stand a chance next time.

I'm on moderate so definitely harder on your end but that strategy change could definitely help.

I think you just keep spamming the button and it will follow the arte for that stage.

You create the combos basically. You can either set the buttons to different elements to cover everything or tweak per area or encounters to exploit the combat in the way you want basically.

Ah, that doesn't sound too difficult. It was just a bit overwhelming when I see this big grid of Artes to equip. Thanks.

DKL

Where does the Steam version save your save data?

edit: nevermind, it's at %STEAM%/userdata/%profile%/429660/remote/

Oh man, thanks for this.

Based on playing on PS4, I was worried that my PC save files would take up like 1GB, but it seems like save files are much smaller on PC (everything adds up to like 108MB even though I spam saves).

Where should I go if I want to hunt the first red code daemon (that bat thingy)?
vkymdon.jpg
I skipped it on my first encounter back then because I thought they're as fierce as the special monsters in Zestiria.

Vazra

Where should I go if I want to hunt the first red code daemon (that bat thingy)?

I skipped it on my first encounter back then because I thought they're as fierce as the special monsters in Zestiria.

Go to the dragon symbol and you can talk with the guy to see where is that one. Press X (Square on PS3) to up the map and press either A (X onPS4) or X to show all the areas of the map you have been and you should be able to track where that is.

Hellaves to Hadlow Hollow.

The cave where you fought
Dyle I think.

Go to the dragon symbol and you can talk with the guy to see where is that one. Press X (Square on PS3) to up the map and press either A (X onPS4) or X to show all the areas of the map you have been and you should be able to track where that is.

the cave you found dyle outside hellawes

As I feared, it seems that the dock of that island is still locked and I can't teleport there.
Maybe it'll open up later as I progress with the story. I'll keep it in mind for now. Thanks.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
25 hours in right now, and seriously they knocked the character writing out of the park. The skits in this game are amazing, easily up there with the Vesperia cast for me.

R0ckman

Good god that waiter mini game was stressful, had to cheese it at the end by drawing a map and pausing, writing orders and numbering them in a queue.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Eizen + Alternate Color + Rose Corsage.

Thank me later.

I'm only around 20 hours in (just finished
Warg Forest
), but has anyone made a comprehensive list of all the connections to Zesteria yet?

I'm really enjoying picking them up, but I'd be interested to see if there's any I've missed once I've completed the game.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm only around 20 hours in (just finished
Warg Forest
), but has anyone made a comprehensive list of all the connections to Zesteria yet?

I'm really enjoying picking them up, but I'd be interested to see if there's any I've missed once I've completed the game.
I'll try. Spoilers, obviously.

-Zaveid is wearing Dezel's jacket, which he later gives to him. In Katz village, an NPC claims he gave it away and is now walking around shirtless. (NOT PERSONALLY CONFIRMED, SEEN ON REDDIT)

Edit: Looks like their jackets are different. Still, nothing saying he didn't do this... would like to see someone confirm.

-Innominat is recorded as a Seraphim Lord in Zestiria's past, revealed through a skit at Artorius' Throne. Sorey and the younger Seraphim show surprise that Maotelus was not always the fifth, while Zaveid, Lailah, and Edna wonder if they "should tell them." This confuses Rose, who overhears them.

-Loegres is the capital of the Rolance Empire from Zestiria, only far in the past.

-During Berseria, in Eastgand, there are myths about the fall of the Hyland Kingdom and The Lady of the Lake. This implies that the shifting climate hinted at at the end of the game merges Midgand and Eastgand together by the time of Zestiria, and Eastgand revives the old Hyland Kingdom.

-The legends surrounding the Lord of Calamity were started by Velvet, the first to bear the title.

-Zaveid's lover turned into a dragon. In Zestiria, it's hinted he has a connection to Hexen Isle. In Berseria, it's revealed that the abbey was using Hexen Isle as a farm to turn Malakhim into dragons.

-Siegfried, Zaveid's gun, is revealed to have once belonged to the pirate Aifread, who found it in "a distant land." Siegfried's data was used to develop Armatization.

-Artorius began the legacy of the Shepards as cleansers of malevolence, even if he himself had twisted ideals.

-Laphicet is the Seraphim Lord, Maotelus. The four Empyreans/Seraphim Lords may or may not be the reincarnated forms of the abbey legates - Shigure, Melchior, Teresa, and Oscar. (Was confused if their souls just woke them up or were reincarnated)

-Magilou's real last name is Mayvin. Her coffin can be found in Zestiria, where it's claimed she was a great storyteller who died 300 years ago. Her descendent and/or successor is also in Zestiria, also named Mayvin.

Where do you get these alternate colors?
Late game character sidequests.

Squire

Banned
Just started this tonight. Only a few hours in, but really enjoying it. The characters are so likable, Magilou especially. Velvet isn't as edgy as I expected. She's actually pretty well-characterized so far.

The mechanics seem a little complicated? I've never played a Tales game before. People say they're pretty simplistic. This has tutorials all over the place though. Anyone have tips for things I definitely need to keep note of?

Beat the game a couple days ago, trying to do various postgame things and only making very mild progress.

I started on Hard, switched to Intense(they still call it Evil in one of the -ites descriptions...) at some point in Eastgand, and then up to Chaos for the final dungeon/beyond. Didn't have a whole lot of trouble unless I got jumped by multiple things, or tried to fight stuff I was way underleveled for
(meaning every optional thing)
. Considering the AI was broken, I'd say therionization is pretty broken for me to have still made it through all of that.

Overall I'd say the battle system is decent. It's no Graces(or Destiny Remake), but it wasn't anywhere near as terrible as Symphonia/Abyss/Vesperia/Xillia. The souls thing was a nice replacement for the waaay outdated TP systems, but I was kind of hoping they'd make it easier to raise min/max available. Maybe that would have broken things early on, I dunno. It was nice of them to make the mystic artes more accessible at least.

Characters were okay. The skits and interactions for the most part were enjoyable, and the localization itself was surprisingly good. Aside from Velvet trying to be as edgelord as possible. The actual story itself, though, could have been a bit better. They introduced all of these characters and tried to make them seem super relevant by telling you all about the things they've done or are going to do, but most of them didn't really matter outside of their brief appearances/fights. So you're just kind of going around doing random things and occasionally being yelled at by weirdos.

Exploration and the boring maps and lack of puzzles and eeeverything related to that blew. At least Breath of the Wild is coming very soon.

BHK3

Banned
Question, I can get this game for cheap, is it any better than Vesperia? I've read every tales of game since then has kinda been bad or so. I mostly want characters that aren't too insufferable and decent gameplay on par with Vesperia. I already see some people here mention Vesperia but I saw the TO games with bad reviews get the same comments, same story here?

Lnds500

Just started this tonight. Only a few hours in, but really enjoying it. The characters are so likable, Magilou especially. Velvet isn't as edgy as I expected. She's actually pretty well-characterized so far.

The mechanics seem a little complicated? I've never played a Tales game before. People say they're pretty simplistic. This has tutorials all over the place though. Anyone have tips for things I definitely need to keep note of?

Don't get disappointed if you get overwhelmed at first. I was as well, you'll find your footing as the game progresses.

It is complicated and the game throws a lot of stuff at you.

Here's a good guide.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/146JIULswh9CM2Ee_uhOXBp7jWiKZQpjyiU318GCJA4s/edit#

Arkeus

First thing to know in Berseria (which is not true for all Tales games) is that Focus is king. This is because you basically to do 'real' hits, and Focus is the stat that turns a glancing blow into a hit that has an actual effect.

Second thing is that hidden artes uses the worst of your attack/a.attack, and the worst of the opponent's defense/a.defense.

Third thing is that in this game, a lot is gated behind harder difficulties as well as behind Grade. Equipment is a pain to master/etc (you get the first skill permanently when you master it) for example if you don't know how to cheese grade.

Grade can be gotten basically by following this: don't have characters dying, don't ever use items in battle, make sure you are not under status ailment when you finish the battle.

Oh, I forget: always target enemy weaknesses in your combo, and never use an element the enemy is strong against as the opening.

DKL

Grade can be gotten basically by following this: don't have characters dying, don't ever use items in battle, make sure you are not under status ailment when you finish the battle.

Also, killing things with Mystic Artes seems to be where the most points come from.

Datschge

Hmm, does anyone mind explaining what does the drawings in the credits mean? Thanks.
Velvet and her brother are reunited in eternal slumber. Interspersed dream sequences of a peaceful alternate reality where the family including sister Celica and her unborn son (aka Number Two, Phi) stays together and experience normal life.

DKL

I basically see no difference between doing it and not doing it. OTOH, dying means getting 10 Grade instead of 100.

At least in regular encounters, it's actually pretty huge. With like a grade of 5 or something, 2 of it will come from a Mystic Artes finisher.

This is pretty interesting since the difficulty modifier doesn't seem to give nearly as much in this situation.

You don't even need to finish off the battle with it... just kill some random thing.

EDIT:

Yeah, checked to be sure.

Nwjvh0K.png

Lucreto

Are the Salvages items for selling or are they used for something else? I am only 5 hours in and I have a lot of chipped copper coins.

DKL

Are the Salvages items for selling or are they used for something else? I am only 5 hours in and I have a lot of chipped copper coins.

From what I can understand, that specific tab is for items that should be sold... but I can't say for sure since I haven't messed around in that area too much.

That said, I can't seem to figure out how to keep my AI alive during encounters that involve a bunch of spellcasters (particularly in dangerous encounters). Everyone else just dead by the time I'm done even though I've already told the AI to not do anything, so there might be a point at which they stopped blocking for some reason...

(but then, they are still healing and probably not using R2 to heal... not sure what do)

I don't... really need the AI for anything. I just want them to not mess up my grade ;_;

Saphirax

From what I can understand, that specific tab is for items that should be sold... but I can't say for sure since I haven't messed around in that area too much.

That said, I can't seem to figure out how to keep my AI alive during encounters that involve a bunch of spellcasters (particularly in dangerous encounters). Everyone else just dead by the time I'm done even though I've already told the AI to not do anything, so there might be a point at which they stopped blocking for some reason...

(but then, they are still healing and probably not using R2 to heal... not sure what do)

Not sure why you'd have the rest of your party defending and not attacking. Not only are the healing spells pitiful but you also still take damage even while defending. You're better off having everyone attacking different targets and using Magilou's Spell Absorber.

Top Bottom