• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria |OT| The Band of the Crowe

The skit between Rokurou and Eizan arguing about beetles might be my favorite one to date.

I kinda let this go without saying anything, but the English VA for this game is actually really good. I...can't think of a single voice actor whose doing a bad job.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
is there any huge reason to play on hard over moderate? It just seems like battles take sooo much longer on hard, and I don't see a huge benefit...

Better rewards and slight bumps in grade, higher chances of encountering dire foes too. There are many other perks exclusive to Hard+ that continue to be unlocked with progress as well(via the Ventites/Glacites/etc as you uncover them). Ultimately there is no real problem playing on lower difficulties either if you choose to ignore all that stuff.

How do you use Heaven's Claw? Every time i hit R2 in therion mode it just goes into Consuming Claw again?

Check the Artes menu on Velvet and read what the description says. I believe you need at least 3 soul gems filled while in beast mode to activate, but I need to confirm that myself.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The skit between Rokurou and Eizan arguing about beetles might be my favorite one to date.

I kinda let this go without saying anything, but the English VA for this game is actually really good. I...can't think of a single voice actor whose doing a bad job.
I heard PCs were good and NPCs were bad (dub wise).

I plan on using the dub on a second playthrough down the line. From what I've heard, I like all voices other than Laphicet (but his JP voice was perfect for him, so it's hard to top)

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I heard PCs were good and NPCs were bad (dub wise).

I plan on using the dub on a second playthrough down the line. From what I've heard, I like all voices other than Laphicet (but his JP voice was perfect for him, so it's hard to top)

Yea, I've been switching back and forth between JPN and English depending on my mood when I start to play and would agree with this. There are some questionable decisions regarding NPC voices in English, but the main cast is quite good. Notably Megilou whom actually handles the goofball antics and wild personality swings quite well in English.

Also despite many of Zestiria's problems, the localized voices are also very well done as well. Only playable character that didn't land for me was Dezel.

Soriku

Tales VA is normally pretty good.

Yeah I might do another playthrough though we'll see.

Whited out possible spoilers with location of the final area but my completed game clocked at 26.5, turns out I was a little higher level than I though. Some of the last fights must have bumped me up fast with the optional bosses. I know for sure I was 40 when I went into the final area.
ae24f6b78e6434c99959b377982a82c0.png

How do you use Heaven's Claw? Every time i hit R2 in therion mode it just goes into Consuming Claw again?

When you're in Therion mode, connect with exactly one regular attack and then hit R2 again. You get another skill later that you activate after getting two attacks in. You have to have another soul available to use to do this, of course.

Celcius

°Temp. member
What would you guys think if they made a Tales of Berseria 2 and kinda ret-conned Zestiria? or maybe it could take place before Zestiria?

I was just doing sn expedition and one of the rewards said "Earned 100 NEW". But this wasn't any kind of item and doesn't show up in the area list. What was it?

Ydelnae

I think this might reach Symphonia and Abyss status for me, which is saying much because I was fairly annoyed pre-release because I didn't like how the story sounded like, how the game looked like and the first impressions of the cast.

My tales rate would be (I've never played Vesperia, Rebirth and Legendia):

1. Tales of Destiny
2. Tales of Phantasia
3. Tales of Symphonia
4. Tales of the Abyss/Xillia
5. Tales of Graces f/Hearts DS
6. Tales of Xillia 2
7. Tales of Symphonia: Courage is the Power
8. Tales of Zestiria
9. Tales of Innocence DS
10. Tales of Eternia

A brand new Tales game being in the top 5 would be pretty surprising. Berseria for sure has impressed me. Let's see if it holds up until the end.

benzopil

26 hours is insane. I clocked over 40 while skipping a few Katz chests and red bosses. I didn't do some side quests either (I missed Zaveid's - DO ZAVEID'S, I ended up watching it on Youtube, it's awesome)

Wait trophy guide said sidequests are not missable?

I really don't want to replay the game because of missed trophies (I'm looking for Mystic Artes and that's it).

Renmyra

Yeah I might do another playthrough though we'll see.

Whited out possible spoilers with location of the final area but my completed game clocked at 26.5, turns out I was a little higher level than I though. Some of the last fights must have bumped me up fast with the optional bosses. I know for sure I was 40 when I went into the final area.
ae24f6b78e6434c99959b377982a82c0.png

Did you play on simple and skip every cutscene?

You don't have to beat the game, but you have to be at the end of the game.

They're obtained through optional doors in the final dungeon.

There is some other mystic arts which require completing the game too, though.

There's some joint Mystic Arts - Velvet/Laphicet, Rokurou/Eizen, and Magilou/Eleanor which are obtained in the post-game dungeon.
Oh cool thanks for the reply
I just got to the final dungeon so I guess I'll be on the look out for those doors

Anoxida

If you're comparing sales to those of say Final Fantasy 15, then yes it bombed.

From the rumors I've seen it seemed to be doing pretty solid for a Tales game.

I'm not comparing it to FFXV. I'm comparing it to Zestiria.

50k~ in one week is not a bomb. ToZ sold around 90k copies in a month.

Zestiria did 80 of those 90k in the opening week or something. It did a bit over 100 after 2.5 months. Sales are very front loaded. Berseria didn't manage to crack 50K yet. I'd say it's a bomb or at the very least very disappointing considering the positive word of mouth.

benzopil

Zestiria did 80 of those 90k in the opening week or something. It did 100 something after 2.5 months. Sales are very front loaded. Berseria didn't manage to crack 50K yet. I'd say it's a bomb or at the very least very disappointing considering the positive word of mouth.

It will be fine. I already convinced three friends to buy it, two of them did it already. And I won't stop until everybody buys it!

Saphirax

I'm not comparing it to FFXV. I'm comparing it to Zestiria.

Zestiria did 80 of those 90k in the opening week or something. It did a bit over 100 after 2.5 months. Sales are very front loaded. Berseria didn't manage to crack 50K yet. I'd say it's a bomb or at the very least very disappointing considering the positive word of mouth.

Zestiria was also $10 cheaper and came with Symphonia. Could the sales be better? Sure, but it's far from a bomb.

Bladenic

What's funny is that many Tales games LTDs are barely above 50k in NA lmao. If it sold 50k on Steam, 50k on PS4 in NA, and another 50k in Europe in the first month, that's pretty good for Tales. Plus the collector's editions continue selling out at the super high prices they cost.

And I would wage ToB isn't selling at Zesty's pace due to that game's reception, the huge amount of other games that released all around the same time, and less pre-order incentives on Steam.

Cast-Iron

Banned
Well, last "Tales of" that i finished was...Phantasia.

I waited for ages for an english patch for Destiny remake, but it never came. Berseria looks the coolest of the saga since Rebirth, i think its time to come back and play.

IceIpor

Playing this makes me realize how terribly bad Zestria's story was by comparison.
You only just realized this?
As I was playing through Zestiria this month in prep for Berseria, I couldn't believe how bad the story and characters were.

Berseria, at least, makes some sort of cohesion or sense.

Eizen has a couple more skits where he gets waaaay excited andb into things haha

But yeah that has been my favorite so far.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Any tips for getting through the red/blue lamp rooms in the EX dungeon? Someone mentioned something about the rooms being random and just using quick save to reload and try again but I quicksaved as soon as I killed the first boss and always get the same room next. :(
Has anyone here cleared it yet?

TheFatMan

Watched all cutscenes and played on normal.

Damn man you must have been running through the game. I'm at like 37 hours and I'm maybe 70% of the way through the game? That might be pushing it. Hell I'm already level 45.

Doing all cutscenes, skits and fighting a decent amount of enemies. On Normal.

Berseria selling 50k in less than a week on Steam at full price is in no a way a bomb, especially as it hasn't dropped off the charts or anything. Find another word please. Zestiria being the first Tales game on Steam (and with its preorder bonuses) was always going to outdo Berseria. But Zestiria's sales were fantastic, doing less than that is not a disaster.

Zestiria is over 300k, its sales weren't particularly frontloaded.

Hey everyone, how do I select a new chef? Velvet has like zero confidence in her cooking and it shows in her comments after a meal is made. Some would call it humble, But to me it doesn't help me enjoy said fictional meal as much.

RoeBear

I bought the double grade dlc but I'm not getting double grade. Did I just blow my money?
besides buying dumb dlc...

Just beat the game today, enjoyed my time with it. I bought Zestiria the other day so I am going to try it out today and see all the similarities in the world. I know a lot of people said they didn't enjoy Zestiria but I'll give it a shot.

Taruranto

I wonder how much Y0, DQVIII, Berseria and KH cannibalized each other's sales. And I think I'm missing some other game too.

I ended up getting it in the end, PS4 version should arrive tomorrow.

Anoxida

Berseria selling 50k in less than a week on Steam at full price is in no a way a bomb, especially as it hasn't dropped off the charts or anything. Find another word please. Zestiria being the first Tales game on Steam (and with its preorder bonuses) was always going to outdo Berseria. But Zestiria's sales were fantastic, doing less than that is not a disaster.

Zestiria is over 300k, its sales weren't particularly frontloaded.

It slowed to a crawl after opening week but yes, 50%+ sales helped it gain sales months later.

Okay, where on Earth is the [Code Red Boss]
Pill Bug
? I've been up and down this place three times and can't find it. Did they pull the same shit they did in that other Tales game and make it super tiny?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just reached the beach demo area. How far am i percentage wise?

Curious about this too. Though I'm a bit further in the next dungeon.

The skits in this game are amazing. Cast wise this is easily up there at the top with Vesperia for me. Still not a fan of the landmass areas but Berseria at least feels more thought out than the last couple I played.

The dungeons are seriously ass in this game. I didn't play enough through Zestiria to see some of the later dungeons, but at least it occasionally had kick ass music to play with it.

This game has a series issue of keeping progression at a snail's pace though. It takes hundreds of battles to level up gear enough to master the skill, which is frankly ridiculous, even when stacking Titles that speed up Equipment mastery. And at least on Intense level some of the boss special moves are starting to flat out oneshot me, whereby not even Enemy Mystic Artes can do that.

The next Tales game really needs to find a way to fix the constant loop of Life Bottle spamming somehow. I almost spend as much time in the menu as in actual battle now.

I just beat this game. I have to say, I loved it. One of the better stories. And I don't just mean for Tales I mean for games in general. Same with the cast. Great stuff. Dungeons could be better, battle system could use some tweaks, overworld traversal could be better, but all in all an awesome ass game.

Top Bottom