• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria |OT| The Band of the Crowe

Has anyone tried boost mode with this game? I tried this last night and it looked a lot cleaner to me. Like it looks good to me normally, but not completely clear. I noticed things look sharper with boost mode on, but I don't know if it's just placebo effect, lol. Was wondering if someone else could try boost mode on this game and confirm?

Anoxida

Boost dont increase graphical fidelity. It can help old games reach target fps. In other words: It's totally placebo for you. Placebo effect is common in gaming so dont feel bad. There's a huge thread here on gaf about gsync being a god tier upgrade, everything is suddenly smooth even at 45 fps, when all it does is remove screen tearing. Heh.

Boost dont increase graphicsl fidelity. It can help old games reach target fps. In other words: It's totaöly placebo. Placebo effect is so strong in gaming so dont feel bad. There's a huge thread about gsync being a god tier upgrade everything is suddenly smooth even at 45 fps etc when all it does is remove screen tearing. Heh.

Ah bummer! I still wonder if this game benefits from it in any way. I tried looking through the boost thread if anyone checked this game, but the thread is so long now!

Renmyra

There's literally no point in keeping healing artes on when playing on Chaos. It's just a stupid AI trap. I don't like this design at all.

DKL

Not sure why you'd have the rest of your party defending and not attacking. Not only are the healing spells pitiful but you also still take damage even while defending. You're better off having everyone attacking different targets and using Magilou's Spell Absorber.

I turn off the AI since I enjoy playing solo and being responsible for all the damage, but also because I want to minimize the chances that the AI gets randomly killed off screen (and it does happen, like when they just sit there and take the unblockable from a red demon like a champ).

Don't really need healing since R2 spam is the most efficient way of getting health back with all the characters.

That said, at least personally, I find that it's still a bit hard to absorb every single spell on an intense level dangerous encounter throws at you because the spam gets so real (at least for the encounters where I lure like two casting enemies into each other). Even when the AI is programmed to stop casting, there's always something that slips through the cracks and that's when someone gets killed.

I'm feeling like in these encounters, the AI decides to be as cheap as you lol

(not that these encounters are necessarily that much harder since you can chain invincibility frames together if you see a magic attack start to form and you have enough meter... but I can't consistently save everyone from the onslaught of spam since there's so much of it during these encounters... there's like circles and lines everywhere)

EDIT:

Yo, I managed to do one (without Velvet too) lol

toRjLLB.png

That said, it mostly felt like I got lucky (enemies just happened to get vortexed into my attacks whenever I pushed a button), plus maybe the stage layout was making the AI get funneled into bottlenecks.

But yeah, commenting on the grade stuff, you really do get a lot for Mystic Artes finishers.

kewlmyc

Just started this tonight. Only a few hours in, but really enjoying it. The characters are so likable, Magilou especially. Velvet isn't as edgy as I expected. She's actually pretty well-characterized so far.

The mechanics seem a little complicated? I've never played a Tales game before. People say they're pretty simplistic. This has tutorials all over the place though. Anyone have tips for things I definitely need to keep note of?

The best advice in combat would be to:

1. Hit enemy weaknesses: Enemies have two types of weaknesses, elemental and enemy type. Attacks also have these two types associated with them. When you target an enemy, you can see what their weaknesses (or resistances) are. For example, a wolf has a weakness to fire attacks and is classified as a "beast" type. So if you hit it with one of your artes that is fire and another attack that is "beast" type, then you can start a chain combo that will lead to massive damage. If you go to strategy and set your AI party to aim for weaknesses, it'll make it easier to do this.

2. Don't be afraid to change arte placement in the middle of battle: For example, if you're fighting a boss that has a weakness of water and is a "fiend" and "flying" type, then if you want, you can put all of your corresponding artes in a string on one button to make the fight easier so you don't have to memorize where each arte is in your 16 arte slots.

3. Rely on your AI teammates: Doing massive damage relies on doing massive combos. Unless you abuse your R2 button with Velvet, doing combos by yourself is hard, so rely on your AI teammates to keep combos going or start combos themselves so you can manage your soul gauge and make sure it doesn't go in the red (if you're red in the soul gauge, then you're more acceptable to stun, which is very bad on some bosses and difficulties). So if Rokurou successfully gets 3 hits on an enemy, right when he's done with his string, go attack the same enemy to keep the combo going (while also hitting weaknesses to get a chain combo going and do more damage). Hopefully by the time you're done, someone else in your party is also going back into the fight to keep the combo going.

4. Learn the timing to evades: You can evade the enemies attacks by pressing a directional input while guarding right as the enemy attacks you. Get good at doing this since you take chip damage while guarding and evading attacks can also spawn a soul core on the field that will add one soul to your soul gauge if you run up to it.

5. Target casters first: This is just something that I do mostly, but I find casters to be annoying as all hell, so I target them first. Luckily in this game, you can see the line of fire of a caster's spell to see if they're aiming at you. Use this to your advantage to evade spells.

There's more to the combat than this obviously, but these are some good starter steps to understand how this game and most tales games in general work in combat. Glad you're giving this game a try. This could possibly be one of the best Tales games they've put out here in the west.

Magilou managed to live 700 years as a human? Wow...

I used this grade farming method I found in a trophy guide. I played through the game on normal and had a very easy time beating it at only about level 57 using early game gear. Due to this I was only able to handle grade farming on moderate\hard but it was still quick. When I first beat the game I only had 2k grade but needed a total of 7k for my new game+ It only took 2-3 hours max with this method and getting a few hundred grade per battle..I was drunk at the time so it could probably be done even quickier.
Grade Farming
Set your game to the highest difficulty you have unlocked as the higher the difficulty, the higher amount of Grade you will get upon defeating a dire foe. Save the game beforehand in case you are too weak, so figure out what works for you. The chance of encountering a dire foe is also increased with a higher difficulty.

The Lindwurm is the strongest of the five dire foes, so the best area to farm Grade is Figahl Icecaps. Bring up your Grade Bonus to 2.0 first, so avoid Dangerous Encounters for now. When you run out of enemies on the field, do not enter a town as the Grade Bonus will be gone otherwise. Enter Faldies Ruins instead, and then move back to Figahl Icecaps. Keep in mind that your Grade Bonus Gauge empties quicker the higher the Grade Bonus, so be aware of it or else the Grade Bonus is reset.

Once the Grade Bonus reaches 2.0, start to lure enemies so that you can initiate Dangerous Encounters. Enemies are stronger in Dangerous Encounters so beware. Continue doing Dangerous Encounters until a dire foe appears, then defeat it. If possible, use a Mystic Arte to defeat the dire foe to earn extra Grade. You will earn lots of Grade if neither you nor your party members died, if you did not use an item in battle, and if you are not affected with a negative status at the end of the battle. Once the battle against the dire foe is over, your Grade Bonus is reset, so save the game and restart the process. In the best case, you will earn hundreds of Grade after a battle against a dire foe.

If you die a lot in the battle against the dire foe or use (many) items, you can either set your difficulty down or just fight regular battles as the dire foe can appear in regular battles as well. You will just not get the bonus for the Dangerous Encounter. If you cannot get the most out of a battle against a dire foe, do not worry as it just means that you will have to repeat the process a few more times than with best results, until you have accumulated your desired amount of Grade.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
From what I can tell, she's already old in Berseria. One of her titles is "Super Granny," and she always skirts around the subject of her age. Melchior also mentions extending his lifespan by hundreds of years, and she was his disciple, so...

Arkeus

It's unknown if it's actually her, as the scene in Zestiria with the coffin hints that the one that died then wasn't the "first", while Zaveid sort of hints that he knew the original one.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I seem to have unknowingly wandered into the EX dungeon lol
mt killaraus
. What am I supposed to do?
Is that roaming island that Eizen mentioned shorter?

Also, how do you do Velvet's 3rd Mystic Arte?

Momentary

Banned
Boost dont increase graphical fidelity. It can help old games reach target fps. In other words: It's totally placebo for you. Placebo effect is common in gaming so dont feel bad. There's a huge thread here on gaf about gsync being a god tier upgrade, everything is suddenly smooth even at 45 fps, when all it does is remove screen tearing. Heh.

Umm it also minimizes stuttering and improves input lag all of which is backed up by Fram time charts and tools that measure input lag sooo....

Giolon

Bookmarking this for much later since I haven't played Zestiria yet and I'm only partway through Berseria!

Also, last night I hit some sort of maximum equipment inventory limit. I stopped being able to pick up any new equipment at all until I got rid of some either by dismantling or selling.

This brings me to my question. I'm having a real hard time deciphering which random skills are best for which characters. Which bonus properties should I be keeping on gear, and which ones should I be dismantling for parts?

It seems like more BG per Break Soul and +HP when killing monsters is almost universally valuable, but I have no idea which stats benefit which characters the most especially because each type of gear can have literally any of the stats on it naturally. Weapons with Attack and Focus, or Focus and Artes Defense, or Artes Attack and Physical Defense, etc. It seems almost impossible to figure out how to optimize each character when at any given tier of equipment, the fixed stats 100% change around.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I've seen a bunch of people saying that Zestiria's pretty bad. Should I skip it and go for Berseria instead?

rickyson1

As I feared, it seems that the dock of that island is still locked and I can't teleport there.

Maybe it'll open up later as I progress with the story. I'll keep it in mind for now. Thanks.

yeah the story takes you back to Northgand eventually,gotta wait till then

Celcius

°Temp. member
Whew! Just finished the cameo battle and that was by far the toughest fight I've had yet. It was tempting to use an all-divide but I didn't do it and still won.
Milla's
battle theme is soooo good. Goldipen is hilarious.
I could still use some advice on what I'm supposed to do in the ex dungeon to progress though...

Bladenic

Whew! Just finished the cameo battle and that was by far the toughest fight I've had yet. It was tempting to use an all-divide but I didn't do it and still won.
Milla's
battle theme is soooo good. Goldipen is hilarious.
I could still use some advice on what I'm supposed to do in the ex dungeon to progress though...

I can help depending on what you need.

Was there a scene cut in the western release, at one point it looks like Eleanor is
removing her outfit to show off a scar
it doesn't look like the usual skit scene but has the art of the anime cut scene but then switches right back?

Zafir

Was there a scene cut in the western release, at one point it looks like Eleanor is
it doesn't look like the usual skit scene but has the art of the anime cut scene but then switches right back?

I don't know how it is in the JP version, that scene is still in though. You don't see the
scar or anything.

Jiraiza

No change, same thing in the Japanese version.

Aeana

I got the
katz invitation
, so I went to Taliesin as it says and I don't see anybody to talk to. Searching led me to believe that a
katz
should be on the other side of the geoboard point there in the town, but there's nobody there; just a life bottle chest.

Jiraiza

I got the
katz invitation
, so I went to Taliesin as it says and I don't see anybody to talk to. Searching led me to believe that a
katz
should be on the other side of the geoboard point there in the town, but there's nobody there; just a life bottle chest.

There's a ladder hidden in a crevice that's kind of hard to spot when you go up the middle (?) flight of stairs. Oh wait, nevermind.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I can help depending on what you need.

After I walk into the black geyser in the middle of the first room and defeat the enemies then a timer starts counting down. What am I supposed to do next?
It looks like there are two types of small black objects on the ground - one of them takes 15 seconds off the clock and the other leads to a fight...

It says I've been playing for 32 hours, (unless rest mode fluffs that number) and I only just finished the
helping the prince and his hawk

I am exhausted, how much more to go?

Bladenic

Yes. That's where the geoboard point is. I crossed it, there's nothing there. Unless there are two geoboard points in the town.

I assume this is where he is supposed to be?

He didn't appear for me right when I got the invite. He appears closer to the endgame, maybe right before the final dungeon.

After I walk into the black geyser in the middle of the first room and defeat the enemies then a timer starts counting down. What am I supposed to do next?
It looks like there are two types of small black objects on the ground - one of them takes 15 seconds off the clock and the other leads to a fight...

You're supposed to look for small geysers and beat all enemies before the timer ends. The spikes are to be avoided as they shave off time, and you can also run around and walk into the spikes to get rid of them before activating the big geyser.

Also I'm not sure if there's one in the first room, but you can find Katz that can help out by removing spikes, marking the small geysers on map, etc. if you pay them Katz spirits.

Ydelnae

I just met Shigure. I liked him so much. Please tell me Rokuro can get his outfit.

Now that I got the full party, I still think that Velvet and Rokuro are the weakest cast members. The scenes prior to
Eleanor joining and her willing to suicide
left me impressed.

SeanTSC

Ah bummer! I still wonder if this game benefits from it in any way. I tried looking through the boost thread if anyone checked this game, but the thread is so long now!

I just started playing, but it seemed to hold 60 fps pretty solidly as is and I can't really tell any difference there with boost on or off. It might smooth out minor hiccups, especially in a fight with heavy alpha effects, but that's about it. It also likely gives some small performance increases in load times and boost mode is showing that in a lot of games.

This game could really benefit from a Supersampling and increased AF Pro-mode patch though.

I'm going to keep playing with it on just to see if it causes any crashes.

Zafir

I just met Shigure. I liked him so much. Please tell me Rokuro can get his outfit.

Now that I got the full party, I still think that Velvet and Rokuro are the weakest cast members. The scenes prior to
Eleanor joining and her willing to suicide
left me impressed.

Most of Velvets development is in the latter half of the game sadly.

I definitely think Rokurou got the least attention of all the party members though.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
We never get to visit
Rokurou and Shigure's homeland or the far continent they keep mentioning (are they one and the same?)

Alucrid

Banned
Love Magilou. She's hilarious.

How the eff do you change targets using the PS4 controller

r1 i think?

The question is, just how old is Magilou?

Spoilers please, if necessary.

she's a 1000 year old dragon

Yes. That's where the geoboard point is. I crossed it, there's nothing there. Unless there are two geoboard points in the town.

I assume this is where he is supposed to be?

i think you need to open a certain number of katz chests for him to appear

edit: oh, saw the invitation. i dunno

is there any huge reason to play on hard over moderate? It just seems like battles take sooo much longer on hard, and I don't see a huge benefit...

Celcius

°Temp. member
Really enjoying all this optional content. Some of the english translations have the wrong words though. (it gets spoken correctly though)

The question is, just how old is Magilou?

Spoilers please, if necessary.

She made a joke in a skit about
being on her "third playthrough". It makes sense, as Melchior & Claudin did it too.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Does anyone know where and when to do all of the Magilou comedy duo skits? I don't want to miss any.

Press Square on PS4 or X on Xbox and the menagerie stuff should show up there I think. I remember doing them after beating the game lol so you should be able to do them as long as the access to the areas is not blocked of course.

R0ckman

Games giving off those ToD2 vibes while playing on intense and I hated that spell favoring system. Got into a story driven battle where 5 of the 6 enemies were spell casters, 3 had high level spells that they could cast almost insantly. Could litearlly do nothing, would drop dead before reaching targets when the battle began. The fact that they all have the spell and it covers 75% of the map is insanity. Dancing didn't matter because I can't see where spells will land if they are targetting my partners. They should really limit mages to 2 or 3 a group. This is absolutely broken.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Now that I've beat the main story I've been doing side quests all day and am currently at 62 hours. I'm really impressed with how much content they've packed into the game.
I guess the only major thing of interest left for me to do at this point would be the ex dungeon... I'll tackle it tomorrow.

CrazyDude

Now that I've beat the main story I've been doing side quests all day and am currently at 62 hours. I'm really impressed with how much content they've packed into the game.
I guess the only major thing of interest left for me to do at this point would be the ex dungeon... I'll tackle it tomorrow.

God help you.

Top Bottom