• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria |OT| The Band of the Crowe

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
How the hell do I do Velvet's second mystic arte? I have 4+ BG in a bigger combo but she keep doing lethal pain. I've done it once so far but I don't know what was different.

R0ckman

How the hell do I do Velvet's second mystic arte? I have 4+ BG in a bigger combo but she keep doing lethal pain. I've done it once so far but I don't know what was different.

Shes the easiest to do it with, chain 4 attacks, do the Break attack chain another 4 and when she finishes with her Break special use the mystic. I'm not sure how the AI on my team pulls off the others but I've seen everyones.

Wagram

Just learned the truth behind Arthur's motivations and the events that follow.
That's some sad, sad shit right there.

Rpgmonkey

As a comment on the Alisha thing, from what I vaguely remember in a Japanese interview with Baba they initially wanted Rose to be a sort of surprise character players wouldn't discover until they played the game, and I think the idea was to subvert expectations of Alisha's role in the story and party. But then they decided against it because of stuff like the opening where they'd either have to spoil the surprise, keep the contents of the opening down to stuff before she joins, or make two different versions of it. Plus in order for the gimmick to work they had to keep being coy about why they wouldn't show Alisha using Armatization and stuff, and it seems like they just gave up and changed their plans when they weren't getting the reaction they expected from fans and the whole thing started to get more confusing and awkward than interesting.

In a recent interview Berseria's producer was asked about this and gave a similar explanation. He kinda made it seem like it was only his interpretation of what their idea was, but it didn't really sound that far off from what Baba said, lol.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Shes the easiest to do it with, chain 4 attacks, do the Break attack chain another 4 and when she finishes with her Break special use the mystic. I'm not sure how the AI on my team pulls off the others but I've seen everyones.

Oh, it means do 8 artes. Sounded like it just needed the combo counter above 8.

Bladenic

Whaaat? I kind of want to go back and replay Zestiria after this, even though I wasn't the biggest fan of it. This game did a really good job as a prequel.

That was actually
the bonus dungeon in Zestiria. They tied it to Zestiria beautifully. I had done it a week before Berseria so it was fresh in my mind.

Rainy

Banned
Arthur's motivation is what I'm most curious in learning. I hate him a lot so I'm very interested. Just came back to Loegres after leaving Yseult. Will play more tomorrow!

Celcius

°Temp. member
Only in Zestiria.

Whaaat? I kind of want to go back and replay Zestiria after this, even though I wasn't the biggest fan of it. This game did a really good job as a prequel.

That was actually
the bonus dungeon in Zestiria. They tied it to Zestiria beautifully. I had done it a week before Berseria so it was fresh in my mind.

I just watched a youtube playthrough of it and
Silva's dragon skeleton is still laying there on Hexen Island all those later :( :(

R0ckman

I think they actually should have edited the beggining scene that started this -
It was fairly obvious that the real Laphicet wanted to be a sacrifice, I felt kind of like I was just playing the game as a character that jumped to conclusions. She didn't ask questions she just went straight to calling him a murderer. They should have shown her reach them RIGHT before the sacrifice would be complete.

She said later in the story that she was actually not fighting on behalf of her brother but on the anger that she lost what she was comfortable with. Was it explained why she reverted back to using him as an excuse for her vengence hunt?

This has to be one of the more tragic Tales villains ever.
Maybe it was the voice acting, but that test drive where he basically forced people not to be asses didnt seem disastrous to me, maybe they sounded more robotic in the japanese version.

ZeroX03

Banned
So skip Xillia 2 and Zestiria for this, yeah? I just don't think I'll ever have the time to care about them and it seems the return to form is strong.

I'm enjoying the hell out of this game so far. I'm 10-15 hours so far
completed the Gideon request
. I really like how refreshing it is to play as villians/anti heroes (a very nice tidbit I loved with [ToV spoilers]
Yuri
). A nice band of A-holes so far.

Although I have my gripes....I'm playing on hard and battles seem to be kinda repetitve with Velvet as I pretty much find myself spamming Break Artes (unless I'm facing exorcists as I just recently realized...). I also find myself going out of my way collecting Katz souls for attachments I will never use lol.

However I beat Tales of Zestiria last month and I am finding this game to be better in almost every way (I did enjoy Sorey/Mikleo and Mikleo/Edna relationships quite a bit tho). The contrast in story is very interesting as well..
with ToZ focusing on Shepherd Sorey vs Lord of Calamity and ToB Daemon Velvet after Shepherd Artorius

This game is looking like a Top 3 Tales for me so far (joining Abyss and Vesperia).

R0ckman

I'm enjoying the hell out of this game so far. I'm 10-15 hours so far
completed the Gideon request
. I really like how refreshing it is to play as villians/anti heroes (a very nice tidbit I loved with [ToV spoilers]
Yuri
). A nice band of A-holes so far.

Although I have my gripes....I'm playing on hard and battles seem to be kinda repetitve with Velvet as I pretty much find myself spamming Break Artes (unless I'm facing exorcists as I just recently realized...). I also find myself going out of my way collecting Katz souls for attachments I will never use lol.

However I beat Tales of Zestiria last month and I am finding this game to be better in almost every way (I did enjoy Sorey/Mikleo and Mikleo/Edna relationships quite a bit tho). The contrast in story is very interesting as well..
with ToZ focusing on Shepherd Sorey vs Lord of Calamity and ToB Daemon Velvet after Shepherd Artorius

This game is looking like a Top 3 Tales for me so far (joining Abyss and Vesperia).

The protag-antag dynamic relationship in this is much better than in Zestria. In Zestria there is almost no reason to care about the antag in any way whatsoever.
Him taking the name Lord of Calamity is a big joke, he's pathetic compared to Velvet.

evilsin

Let me celebrate my account finally being validated (took 8 months!) by posting for the first time in this thread! Woo-hoo!!!

I'm around 38-40 hours in,
just reached Hexen Isle
. Boy, this game is so good, the story is freaking amazing. Unlike the most, I really enjoyed Zestiria, I even platinumed it on Steam, so to see the whole origin story is very fascinating. I guess Magilou is my favorite so far, I adore her voice actress, but the whole cast is great.

Now I wish I had PS3 to play all other Tales Of games I missed. I only played Vesperia to completion before Zestiria. Looks like I'll try to give Symphonia another go on Steam, still unvoiced skits grind my gears a little.

Almost done with getting my platinum on this... I already platinumed Zestiria long ago but I have the urge to go and replay it now that I know the history of the world.

R0ckman

It feels like the difficulty isnt really difficulty, its more like a test on how much time you invested in the skill system. The game rewards you so much by taking advantage of skills and beating side bosses to get those perks that you become broken. On intense and I actually can't even tell the difference anymore. Yeah you get those OHKO when they let the bosses throw their trantrum - "Screw the rules, I'm going to super armor out of your combo and kill you." But they sometimes don't get a chance to do even that.

Anyone know for sure what the requirements are for Velvet's jacketless costume? I have her cooking to level 10 and have
established the hideout on Titania
, and no skit so far.

Alastor3

Last Tales of I finished was Tales of the Abyss.
I hated Tales of Grace characters
Didn't really cared much about Xilia just because you have to do two playthrough to get all the scenes from the two characters.
Zestiria seems very generic.

Tho, Berseria look like to have a good cast of characters, or is the story? Is it like the other games?

R0ckman

Can someone explain this?
Inominat seems to treat Velvet like trash even though she cared for him when he was sick as Lahpicet. Why is he an ass to her? Is he fully her brother or just "spiritually" using the memories in the earth pulse as leverage? Maybd it was it seeing her go on a rampaged that changed how he looked at her? Did I miss some kind of hint where he had some kind of contempt for her? Maybe the transformation changed him.

Young Magus

Yes @.@

Like lots of Japanese games they are not available in Japan on PC... even if or when they have all their Japanese stuff in the files. Sent Bamco a email why its not available and they said ask their Japan branch... which has no way to email their support staff.

Other Namco Bandai tales/naruto ect. games can be obtained without a region lock (but not listed on Jsteam), not sure why this is the one with it.

Thats my biggest question.

I wanna double dip on PC but if I can't even play it then x(

Controller settings do nothing. It's just a button config. I'm beginning to think multiplayer straight up doesn't work or doesn't exist.

Multiplayer works just fine.

- Open your controller config screen.
- You'll see player 1 controller by default
- Switch to player 2 controller, it'll be turned off by default (even though it's connected)
- Set which controller you'll be using for player 2 (which should be different from player 1)
- To confirm, press start instead of cancel

Multiplayer works just fine.

- Open your controller config screen.
- You'll see player 1 controller by default
- Switch to player 2 controller, it'll be turned off by default (even though it's connected)
- Set which controller you'll be using for player 2 (which should be different from player 1)
- To confirm, press start instead of cancel
Is this in-game, or in the PS4 ui?

Controller settings do nothing. It's just a button config. I'm beginning to think multiplayer straight up doesn't work or doesn't exist.
Are you trying this without having access to two controllable characters?

This is what you should be seeing:

GF7ZFdg.jpg

Then you just hit right for player 2 to set it up. This is also the PC version, but it should be the same/similar.

Mendrox

As a comment on the Alisha thing, from what I vaguely remember in a Japanese interview with Baba they initially wanted Rose to be a sort of surprise character players wouldn't discover until they played the game, and I think the idea was to subvert expectations of Alisha's role in the story and party. But then they decided against it because of stuff like the opening where they'd either have to spoil the surprise, keep the contents of the opening down to stuff before she joins, or make two different versions of it. Plus in order for the gimmick to work they had to keep being coy about why they wouldn't show Alisha using Armatization and stuff, and it seems like they just gave up and changed their plans when they weren't getting the reaction they expected from fans and the whole thing started to get more confusing and awkward than interesting.

In a recent interview Berseria's producer was asked about this and gave a similar explanation. He kinda made it seem like it was only his interpretation of what their idea was, but it didn't really sound that far off from what Baba said, lol.

No Baba just had a hard on for Roses' voice actor. :p This is bullshit.

Are you trying this without having access to two controllable characters?

This is what you should be seeing:

Then you just hit right for player 2 to set it up. This is also the PC version, but it should be the same/similar.
Anyone have an answer for the PS4 version? Because I'm not seeing anything like that at all, and I'm starting to get mad.

Strings

Last Tales of I finished was Tales of the Abyss.
I hated Tales of Grace characters
Didn't really cared much about Xilia just because you have to do two playthrough to get all the scenes from the two characters.
Zestiria seems very generic.

Tho, Berseria look like to have a good cast of characters, or is the story? Is it like the other games?

The story is good, not great, but it's an interesting angle to play a JRPG from (the 'villains' sacrificed the good of the few to essentially save the world, and have brought about peace), and is what allows the characters to be so endearing. The cast are basically:

- A woman hellbent on revenge, trying desperately not to care and failing.
- A friendly, principled, honour-bound and power-obsessed demon.
- A sarcastic, self-aware witch/bitch who has as much fun with the rest of the cast as you.
- A sheltered, bookworm kid who sees these incredibly dysfunctional people as his big brothers and sisters, and is always enthusiastic about receiving terrible life advice.
- A comically unlucky, earth spirit, art-aficionado pirate who enjoys waxing philosophical.
- A goody two-shoes woman from the opposite side who can't process any of these people.

Then there's a bunch of hilarious side characters too (best-girl lizard man, etc). They're easily the best Tales characters in a decade, and the game is well worth playing imo.

Magilou is wearing Teepo

Omg that skit where Rokurou and Eizen are schooling Laphicet on women hahahahaha.

Did Laphicet's voice change 🤔

Top Bottom