• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria |OT| The Band of the Crowe

Can someone tell me how close I am to the end?
Just beat up Melchior and then zaveid blasted him into the rift and velvet is all pumped up now.

Rainy

Banned
So I just left Yseult, and I have a story question.

So we just had the talk on the ship about how we have to save all the Therions and prevent them from being killed so that more won't take their place. Maybe I wasn't paying attention earlier, but what exactly happens when Innominat gets resurrected? Does it just keep making therions and eventually conquers the world? Or does it purify the world or something? Just wondering why the Abbey wants to resurrect it in the first place. I'm guessing I'll find out later? And the crew mainly wants to stop it because they're against the Abbey/Artorius at this point right?

So I just left Yseult, and I have a story question.

So we just had the talk on the ship about how we have to save all the Therions and prevent them from being killed so that more won't take their place. Maybe I wasn't paying attention earlier, but what exactly happens when Innominat gets resurrected? Does it just keep making therions and eventually conquers the world? Or does it purify the world or something? Just wondering why the Abbey wants to resurrect it in the first place. I'm guessing I'll find out later? And the crew mainly wants to stop it because they're against the Abbey/Artorius at this point right?
You'll find out later

Saw that a patch came out on 2/3 to fix the AI bug on PC, bought the game instantly after work.

So far I've played 5 hours and DANG this is a good JRPG! I can't put my finger on it, but it's reminding me a lot of how I felt when I first played Final Fantasy 7. I really like the characters. The scene with Rokurou and Eizen in the pub...

The only character complaint I have is that Velvet is a bit too much like Lightning in tone, but the humor lightens it up enough where I don't mind the seriousness.

Seriously pleasantly suprised!

Loke13

Saw that a patch came out on 2/3 to fix the AI bug on PC, bought the game instantly after work.

So far I've played 5 hours and DANG this is a good JRPG! I can't put my finger on it, but it's reminding me a lot of how I felt when I first played Final Fantasy 7. I really like the characters. The scene with Rokurou and Eizen in the pub...

The only character complaint I have is that Velvet is a bit too much like Lightning in tone, but the humor lightens it up enough where I don't mind the seriousness.

Seriously pleasantly suprised!
I never got that comparison at all Lightning is a bland cardboard cut out next to Velvet's charisma.

Aeana

Velvet starts out a little flat, but honestly, it doesn't take very long for her to blossom. And Cristina Vee's performance is so stellar.

Strings

Still can't believe the Magilou serving game isn't a trophy. That shithead kid who wants chicken irrationally fast is way more difficult than most superbosses I've done.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Would this game be fun for a 34 year old who is not into anime stupidity? For the record, I enjoyed Chrono Trigger and FF7 but never liked any of the tales games because of stupid anime cliches and childish plots.

Would this game be fun for a 34 year old who is not into anime stupidity? For the record, I enjoyed Chrono Trigger and FF7 but never liked any of the tales games because of stupid anime cliches and childish plots.

I'd say no, and I like the game.

EDIT: play the demo. It's a decent indication of the tone you'll be dealing with the majority of time time, though I will say the full game does have better, more well-handled moments in its major story beats, which the demo seems to be trying to avoid spoiling.

I started playing this game a couple of days ago, and I'm really enjoying myself! I am really enjoying the combat, and I am really enjoying the cast. I just got the point where I have a full party of six, so there's still a bunch more game for me to play and experience.

My last Tales game was Zestiria, which I thought was decent, but had a great cast. Berseria so far is great AND has a great cast, so I'm very happy right now!

It's an anime game, there's bound to be anime stupidity every now and then. But honestly, they're not the main theme of Berseria. The plot is pretty mature and dark this time, with likeable and realistic cast.

Arkeus

Hard to say given that you are quoting two stories known for their anime cliche and childish plots so it's a bit hard to know exactly what would piss you off as "anime" or "childish".

Berseria is a buddhism-heavy revenge story that follows a band of anti-heroes pirates. I don't really know if that is considered anime or not.

LOL I was literally just about to make a post asking when I would get the geoboard when I ran into the katz that gives it to me. Then of course they had to burst my bubble and tell me I have to find the earthpulse trees in each area to be able to use it...

120v

i'm in the same boat, same age... not into modern jrpgs/anime but wanted something a little more "relaxing" to scratch my rpg itch

honestly the game is pretty embarrassing at times but the writing is decent all things considered. not so bad if you know what you're getting into.

benzopil

What's the point of resetting my combo when I switch foes

Can't get a trophy for 100 hits but maybe it will be easier later

Would I like this game? I'm looking for an rpg to play, one that is funnny and has an actual story.
Used to love jrpgs but the PS3 era as we all know was terrible for rpgs in general. I know it had lots of tales games which I never played. I tried a demo of one and thought it was ok but didn't care for the art style.

However I watched trailer for this game and it does look interesting. Is the gameplay good or is it mind numbing button bashing?

Anoxida

Umm it also minimizes stuttering and improves input lag all of which is backed up by Fram time charts and tools that measure input lag sooo....

Yeah and the results are pretty minor. People who claim it's a night and day difference (and they exist) are absolutely experiencing major placebo effect.

Just got the game today and I'm really enjoying it. I can't even remember the last time I enjoyed a Tales game.

Anyone know how it performed commercially? The game has been basically impossible to find in Sydney, but they might have just ordered a really small number of copies

Anoxida

Just got the game today and I'm really enjoying it. I can't even remember the last time I enjoyed a Tales game.

Anyone know how it performed commercially? The game has been basically impossible to find in Sydney, but they might have just ordered a really small number of copies

It pretty much bombed on steam. I dont expect it to be different on ps4.

Ydelnae

In currently at the forest where you have to find that flower for the medicine and this might be the worst dungeon yet in the game.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
In currently at the forest where you have to find that flower for the medicine and this might be the worst dungeon yet in the game.
Forest up until the temple is the worst part of the game.

I just realized that my level is way below the monsters that I'm encountering right now. I'm at Barid Marsh where the monsters are at level 48 and everyone in my party is at 37. I can deal with everything just fine even the red code daemons so far (except one). Also, I've just finished the place. While my party wiped out at the boss, I managed to beat it on my 2nd try. But is it fine to be underleveled like this? Should I start grinding for level?

Only thing that bothers me in this game is that Velvet can drop from such great heights one minute after climbing a great deal, but she can drop the foot down off a hill onto the grass

Paches

I just realized that my level is way below the monsters that I'm encountering right now. I'm at Barid Marsh where the monsters are at level 48 and everyone in my party is at 37. I can deal with everything just fine even the red code daemons so far (except one). Also, I've just finished the place. While my party wiped out at the boss, I managed to beat it on my 2nd try. But is it fine to be underleveled like this? Should I start grinding for level?

Are you playing on Hard? I think higher difficulty gives a multiplier to enemy levels.

Zafir

On Moderate I was always underlevelled in the latter half of the game, personally. Partially because I was so sick of the dungeons that I started running through them at a faster pace.

The problem I find with bosses isn't inherently that they're tough or anything. It's just if you play your cards wrong you can lock yourself into an unwinnable situation on certain fights. When bosses get below a certain hp threshold they often do a kind of "soft enrage" I noticed where they'll start spamming moves. Now that's fine if you have enough souls yourselves to be doing shit, and the enemy doesn't have much. However if the boss has 5 souls, and you don't have enough souls to be distracting/stunlocking the boss a bit to keep them occupied you can have this problem where they spam the shit out of their heavy hitting spells/attacks which cover half the battlefield, and devastate your party while you can't do much to stop it. Due to them having 5 souls, casts go off almost instantly, and sometimes attacking doesn't interrupt casts anyway. So you can be in an endless cycle of party members dying (the AI is, as per usual for a Tales of game, useless at getting out of AoE), you trying to get them back up, only to have other people dying. If that happens, you're frankly better off just letting yourself get a game over, instead of trying to fight through, and just make sure you don't make the same mistake again.

TLDR: It's fine to be under-levelled you just have to be a bit more careful, as spells/attacks will be more likely to kill you. As long as you manage your souls/resources and take advantage of weaknesses/stunning/status ailments you'll be fine.

Are you playing on Hard? I think higher difficulty gives a multiplier to enemy levels.

I believe so, yes. Normal is the default level. Simple makes the levels lower, anything above Normal makes the levels higher.

You also technically get less EXP on higher difficulties too. Though the EXP multiplier increases.

Can someone tell me how close I am to the end?
Just beat up Melchior and then zaveid blasted him into the rift and velvet is all pumped up now.

85-90% give or take a little.

I completed the game in 26 hours and 30 minutes. Thought it would last longer honestly. That's with getting all but three of the katz chests throughout the game and fighting every RED enemy. Completed it at level 40 or so. Solid game overall and much better than whatever FF XV was and was supposed to be.

Eh I finished normal difficulty at level 40 so as long as you have a plan in place you should be fine.

jurec84

Unconfirmed Member

I completed the game in 26 hours and 30 minutes. Thought it would last longer honestly. That's with getting all but three of the katz chests throughout the game and fighting every RED enemy. Completed it at level 40 or so. Solid game overall and much better than whatever FF XV was and was supposed to be.

Wow, you must have been rushing through hard! And here I thought I am rushing it, with around 34 hours
after beating Melchior

Arkeus

The higher the difficulty the higher the enemy's level, and you are basically supposed to bridge the gap with better gear+ playstyle + mastery than people on lower difficulties.

Wow, you must have been rushing through hard! And here I thought I am rushing it, with around 34 hours
after beating Melchior

I wouldn't say I was rushing it but it's just the pace I play at since I don't get a ton of time.

It was fun to play through but it lasted me about as long as Tales of Legendia did back in the day.

Zolo

That and ToZ was bundled with a free game, so yeah, Berseria is selling less, but it's a Steam game so it'll probably have legs.

If I remember right, ToZ also benefitted from being one of the first big Japanese steam games back when Japanese games started to get moved to PC en masse.

Zafir

I find it hard to believe you completed the game in 26 hours and got all but 3 of the 58 odd Katz Chests. o_O

That's a fucking grind which you aren't going to get through normal playing.

What's your secret?

Bladenic

Eh I finished normal difficulty at level 40 so as long as you have a plan in place you should be fine.

What in the wide world of fuck? No idea how some people can beat Tales games this fast

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
26 hours is insane. I clocked over 40 while skipping a few Katz chests and red bosses. I didn't do some side quests either (I missed Zaveid's - DO ZAVEID'S, I ended up watching it on Youtube, it's awesome)

Zafir

40 hours sounds about right for just the main story and code reds along the way. I had 51hours on the clock by the time I finished, and that was with me going through side quests just before I did the final dungeon plus some idle time.

Maybe? I'm about the same age and tbh I've lost some (but not all) of my tolerance for anime foolishness over the years. This game is still pretty anime. But I will say this is the most compelling and least childish group of characters I can remember in a JRPG in a long time.

rickyson1

after beating Melchior

i'm at that exact point right now with ~70 hours played myself(73 but also let it sit a little here and there so probably around 70)

Zafir

At what level do you unlock mystic Arte lvl 3 or do you have to beat the game first

You don't have to beat the game, but you have to be at the end of the game.

They're obtained through optional doors in the final dungeon.

There is some other mystic arts which require completing the game too, though.

There's some joint Mystic Arts - Velvet/Laphicet, Rokurou/Eizen, and Magilou/Eleanor which are obtained in the post-game dungeon.

Top Bottom