• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria |OT| The Band of the Crowe

Saphirax

Need some help with a code red hunt. I'm in the post game and it's the last one I'm missing. It's number 23 and according to a trophy guide there should be a cat in Yseult that I need to talk to. Except I checked the whole place out and there is no cat. I also went to Tranquil Woods (the place where you need to kill it) just in case and there's nothing there either.

Vamphuntr

The dungeons are seriously ass in this game. I didn't play enough through Zestiria to see some of the later dungeons, but at least it occasionally had kick ass music to play with it.

This game has a series issue of keeping progression at a snail's pace though. It takes hundreds of battles to level up gear enough to master the skill, which is frankly ridiculous, even when stacking Titles that speed up Equipment mastery. And at least on Intense level some of the boss special moves are starting to flat out oneshot me, whereby not even Enemy Mystic Artes can do that.

The next Tales game really needs to find a way to fix the constant loop of Life Bottle spamming somehow. I almost spend as much time in the menu as in actual battle now.

The dungeons are really bad. For some reason they are really long and mostly made of room with tons of enemies and those katz souls thing with an herb or two. It really break the pacing. I dropped the difficulty level now. Hard was too annoying for it to be worth it. It was just like Zestiria where bosses would have a 1 hit KO move that you need to dodge and the AI would never dodge it. I was on some kind of beach that never ended and went on to some kind of temple that is long too so I saved and quit for the night.

It's not a Tales of games without some crippling flaw anyway. Here the characters are great, the battle system is good but the dungeons and pacing are poor.

Saphirax

Okay, where on Earth is the [Code Red Boss]
Pill Bug
? I've been up and down this place three times and can't find it. Did they pull the same shit they did in that other Tales game and make it super tiny?

I believe there's a vent/hole in the wall that you need to pass through. I think it's in B2.

Zafir

In the EX dungeon, where's the kat in the
empyrean throne area? I can't seem to find him...

If you mean to unlock it. He's not in the Empyrean's Throne. He's just outside it on the Dannan Highway or whatever it's called.

Celcius

°Temp. member
If you mean to unlock it. He's not in the Empyrean's Throne. He's just outside it on the Dannan Highway or whatever it's called.

I've already unlocked it and I'm in the 6th floor. However, usually before you fight the malevolence swarms there's a kat that will accept payment to make it easier.

edit: found him, he's
to the far right of the throne door

R0ckman

I would rather have a world map than these stupid feild dungeons. I have no clue why people hate world maps. This is MUCH worse.

Zafir

I've already unlocked it and I'm in the 6th floor. However, usually before you fight the malevolence swarms there's a kat that will accept payment to make it easier.

edit: found him, he's
to the far right of the throne door

Ah right. I haven't gotten that far in it. I think I got to the 4th floor/set of rooms and was getting a bit bored of it.

The stupid flame putting out bullshit is sooo rubbish.

Are you playing on Hard? I think higher difficulty gives a multiplier to enemy levels.

On Moderate I was always underlevelled in the latter half of the game, personally. Partially because I was so sick of the dungeons that I started running through them at a faster pace.

The problem I find with bosses isn't inherently that they're tough or anything. It's just if you play your cards wrong you can lock yourself into an unwinnable situation on certain fights. When bosses get below a certain hp threshold they often do a kind of "soft enrage" I noticed where they'll start spamming moves. Now that's fine if you have enough souls yourselves to be doing shit, and the enemy doesn't have much. However if the boss has 5 souls, and you don't have enough souls to be distracting/stunlocking the boss a bit to keep them occupied you can have this problem where they spam the shit out of their heavy hitting spells/attacks which cover half the battlefield, and devastate your party while you can't do much to stop it. Due to them having 5 souls, casts go off almost instantly, and sometimes attacking doesn't interrupt casts anyway. So you can be in an endless cycle of party members dying (the AI is, as per usual for a Tales of game, useless at getting out of AoE), you trying to get them back up, only to have other people dying. If that happens, you're frankly better off just letting yourself get a game over, instead of trying to fight through, and just make sure you don't make the same mistake again.

TLDR: It's fine to be under-levelled you just have to be a bit more careful, as spells/attacks will be more likely to kill you. As long as you manage your souls/resources and take advantage of weaknesses/stunning/status ailments you'll be fine.

Eh I finished normal difficulty at level 40 so as long as you have a plan in place you should be fine.

Okay then, no grinding it is. Thanks.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So how long is the game? I'm currently level 27
after beating the bug and getting Sale'tomah the flower.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I would rather have a world map than these stupid feild dungeons. I have no clue why people hate world maps. This is MUCH worse.
If this game had a world map and a better OST it would be one of my favorite RPGs of all time.

Not that it isn't good, or even great, how it is. I just wish it had these things.

Bladenic

I'm going for Platinum but ugh, some of these requirements. Who the hell thought 200,000 Tales coins was a good idea? Or the Smashing titles should require 2500 enemies for level 2? Stupid.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Woot, I finally cleared the EX dungeon. It took me the whole day.
So why couldn't I push the rappig aside and march into heaven?

Zesh

I'm about 5 hours in, and while I like it more than Zestiria so far, I'm still kind of forcing myself to play through it. Does it start picking up soon? There isn't really anything about the game so far that makes me want to keep playing it. (Note that I've played a decent amount of Tales games, but I really disliked Zestiria.)

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm about 5 hours in, and while I like it more than Zestiria so far, I'm still kind of forcing myself to play through it. Does it start picking up soon? There isn't really anything about the game so far that makes me want to keep playing it. (Note that I've played a decent amount of Tales games, but I really disliked Zestiria.)
Wait until you get your sixth party member. IMO the story picks up from there and never loses pace until the end.

That's when the skits start to get really good and the characters really start to grow on you. Act 1 is more like a setup for the rest of the game. You're probably not too far from getting the last party member now if you're 5 hours in.

Bladenic

Wait until you get your sixth party member. IMO the story picks up from there and never loses pace until the end.

That's when the skits start to get really good and the characters really start to grow on you. Act 1 is more like a setup for the rest of the game. You're probably not too far from getting the last party member now if you're 5 hours in.

It took me like 13 hours but I also play slowly I guess.

Is this game region locked on PC?

Asking cuz its not appearing on the Steam Store in Japan x(

Yes @.@

Like lots of Japanese games they are not available in Japan on PC... even if or when they have all their Japanese stuff in the files. Sent Bamco a email why its not available and they said ask their Japan branch... which has no way to email their support staff.

Other Namco Bandai tales/naruto ect. games can be obtained without a region lock (but not listed on Jsteam), not sure why this is the one with it.

Tales of Zestiria Eizen spoilers
This game and his side quest with the letters to and from Edna makes me feel even worse for killing him in Zestiria.

Giolon

Uh...the pacing takes a nosedive after the end of Act 1. It was like 5+ hours until the next real story development happened, during which I had to travel through several overly long field areas (especially the beach and reef leading to the temple) and multiple dungeon areas before things picked back up again.

Zafir

I think the overly long and boring dungeons/fields certainly don't help. I don't think the pacing issues would be too bad if they were decently designed, but they just aren't.

Consequently it makes the lulls in the story a bit of a chore to get through.

For grade farming, is it better to fight on harder difficulties even if it means I might die and take a long time, or is it better to lower the difficulty just to make sure I get the No Items / No Deaths bonuses?

I'm having trouble killing some of the powerful foes on Hard and Intense without dying or using items. Partly because I'm equipping shitty items because I need to master them.

MegaPanda

The anime fixed the character developments for Alisha/Rose but I feel like the seraphs and even Sorey are getting shafted instead.

SolVanderlyn

Uh...the pacing takes a nosedive after the end of Act 1. It was like 5+ hours until the next real story development happened, during which I had to travel through several overly long field areas (especially the beach and reef leading to the temple) and multiple dungeon areas before things picked back up again.
The massive field segments may get a bit overbearing, but I loved the character interactions during this part. I liked the sleepy marsh town, too. That's just my opinion though.

R0ckman

One thing I hate about the Tales games now is that in terms of villains and story, too much is stuffed towards the tail end of the game. So story elements are kind of given to you in crumb sized portions rather than as a parts of a course you would have at a restaurant meal. You are basically feeding on crumbs until the very end.

Maybe symphonia spoiled me but I aboslutely hate the direction they go with villains now, where if they have "the big bad and his generals" trope; instead of encountering each one in depth at different intervals of the story they stuff them all at the end. It seems stupid to me.

R0ckman

On Moderate I was always underlevelled in the latter half of the game, personally. Partially because I was so sick of the dungeons that I started running through them at a faster pace.

The problem I find with bosses isn't inherently that they're tough or anything. It's just if you play your cards wrong you can lock yourself into an unwinnable situation on certain fights. When bosses get below a certain hp threshold they often do a kind of "soft enrage" I noticed where they'll start spamming moves. Now that's fine if you have enough souls yourselves to be doing shit, and the enemy doesn't have much. However if the boss has 5 souls, and you don't have enough souls to be distracting/stunlocking the boss a bit to keep them occupied you can have this problem where they spam the shit out of their heavy hitting spells/attacks which cover half the battlefield, and devastate your party while you can't do much to stop it. Due to them having 5 souls, casts go off almost instantly, and sometimes attacking doesn't interrupt casts anyway. So you can be in an endless cycle of party members dying (the AI is, as per usual for a Tales of game, useless at getting out of AoE), you trying to get them back up, only to have other people dying. If that happens, you're frankly better off just letting yourself get a game over, instead of trying to fight through, and just make sure you don't make the same mistake again.

TLDR: It's fine to be under-levelled you just have to be a bit more careful, as spells/attacks will be more likely to kill you. As long as you manage your souls/resources and take advantage of weaknesses/stunning/status ailments you'll be fine.

I believe so, yes. Normal is the default level. Simple makes the levels lower, anything above Normal makes the levels higher.

You also technically get less EXP on higher difficulties too. Though the EXP multiplier increases.

I personally would have like to see Rokurou's counter cancel out absolutely everything in the game. It feels so wrong to get that counter when a boss triggers their "get out of combo free card" only to continue powering through it like nothing happened.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
you still have quite a bit to go

I beat the game in 30 hours. I didn't do a whole lot of side quests if there are any. I fought most enemies I saw unless I was revisiting a low level area.

Wow, that's pretty short compared to Xillia and Zestiria.

I'm in around 16 hours though.

Zafir

Weird, Rose was actually one of my favorite characters in Zestiria.

Totally topped Alisha, at least. No one came close to Edna though.
I will preface this with the fact I never finished Zestiria,
I basically got to the point Zavied joined which is pretty late in the game admittedly.
So maybe she gets better.

I always felt she was just rushed into the picture in the game.
Like they were building up Alisha, and then suddenly the entire party is "Oh Alisha is terrible, she'll let you down" blah blah. Then they see Rose, and despite her practically being an Assassin they're all like "OMG Rose is so amazing you need her Sorey!". Then she's in your party and that's that....

I don't remember there being much character development for her either outside of the
Dezel
drama.

Bladenic

I will preface this with the fact I never finished Zestiria,
I basically got to the point Zavied joined which is pretty late in the game admittedly.
So maybe she gets better.

I always felt she was just rushed into the picture in the game.
Like they were building up Alisha, and then suddenly the entire party is "Oh Alisha is terrible, she'll let you down" blah blah. Then they see Rose, and despite her practically being an Assassin they're all like "OMG Rose is so amazing you need her Sorey!". Then she's in your party and that's that....

I don't remember there being much character development for her either outside of the
Dezel
drama.

I don't think any of the characters in Zestiria undergo development I.e. change in any significant way. Especially the seraphs.

Actually, ironically I feel like Alisha had the most development lmao. At the very least, she had the potential for the most interesting arc.

Rose is a trash character.

That part of the story when Velvet and co. sailed to Eastgand to finally visit
Velvet's hometown, Abal. Damn, I'd say they totally nailed the atmosphere. Seeing Velvet back to her former self as a cheerful and loving sister was.. something. How the village looks like it's always been, how the villagers react and welcome Velvet normally as they really know her. It gave me that eerie feeling even though for a short time. I almost believed that it's real (especially Velvet who was completely fooled), but it's actually another one of Melchior's illusion. That was so good.

SolVanderlyn

Rose felt totally shoehorned into the game. IIRC they revealed her way after everyone else too. Alisha just fit better in every way, and I didn't even hate Rose.

If anyone in that game needed more exposition it was the wind seraphs. Berseria fixed at least one of them. Zaveid is awesome in this game and every question he raised in Zestiria is answered.

R0ckman

Rose felt totally shoehorned into the game. IIRC they revealed her way after everyone else too. Alisha just fit better in every way, and I didn't even hate Rose.

If anyone in that game needed more exposition it was the wind seraphs. Berseria fixed at least one of them. Zaveid is awesome in this game and every question he raised in Zestiria is answered.

I believe she was added later in devlopement, in japan, her voice actor got done recording her lines a whole year after the rest of them iirc.

People speculated originally you could choose between rose and alisha like two different routes that got scrapped during development.

It makes sense cause alisha leaving so abruptly and rose joining like whatever I just tried to kill you a moment ago made no sense at all.

Also alisha was the only interesting character which had some sort of development in the whole game, whole cast is kinda whatever from start to finish, Edna had an interesting personality but that's about it, her mentioning in berseria by eizen is almost more interesting than whole zestiria persona.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Not including Silva, can you ever go back to that inner most part of Hexen Isle and kill or free that dragon that was in the cage?

Top Bottom