• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria |OT| The Band of the Crowe

Just finished the first temple,
glad they finally explained re malevalonce, began to think they had forgotten to explain it,relying on the player to play zestiria
what were everyone's levels here, think I'm about level 40.

R0ckman

Magilou is great, would be hilarious if there was an RPG character who actually joined the party because they had nothing better to do. No gimmicks no real back story, just joins.

Everything about her is great, love how she dances during her second mystic arte.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Characters in order of fun to play IMO:

Velvet > Eleanor >= Rokurou > Eizen > Magilou > Laphicet
I pretty much agree with this list.

Eizen is cool but sort of clunky to play with - I love his hand to hand stuff but his spell oriented artes feel out of place and hard to combo in and out of. Magilou and Laphicet I'm just no good with at all.

Wagram

I see what some folks were talking about in regards to the final stretch. They're really pushing old areas to the point where it's repetitive. Pacing is a little weird too. Not completely awful or anything, but it would have been nice to do new areas.

R0ckman

I see what some folks were talking about in regards to the final stretch. They're really pushing old areas to the point where it's repetitive. Pacing is a little weird too. Not completely awful or anything, but it would have been nice to do new areas.

Yeah, some of the extra dungeons could have been saved for story. That forest near stonebury was really awkward.

Bladenic

Eizen is cool but sort of clunky to play with - I love his hand to hand stuff but his spell oriented artes feel out of place and hard to combo in and out of. Magilou and Laphicet I'm just no good with at all.

Eizen has some range issues (could be my artes setup). I whiff a lot of attacks with him and he's generally slower than the other three melee character. His spells are okay but worse than the other three spellcasters. He's basically jack of all trades, but generally I find Eleanor can do anything he can and probably do it better.

Mine is this backwards. Velvet is really cookie cutter and requires no skill to use which makes her very boring to use after around 15-20 hrs in. Once the spell casters spell timing becomes shorter the more fun they are to play. Eizen by the second half of the game can easily combo a melee move into a spell and back depending on how you have your artes set up.

demidar

I like playing as Eizen but he's probably the weakest thanks to his conditional Break Souls which greatly limits his survivability to both recover and abuse i-frames.

I'd recommend setting Coercion (the three long range whip strike) as the first Arte as it's safe, has reach and can hit multiple enemies easily and has a high chance of stun.

Magilou is a powerhouse provided she's got enough souls to quickly get out multiple Crown Fires with Break Souls. Her spinny attacks are also great for fishing for stuns amongst large crowds of enemies.

I personally do not like Velvet's attack artes, they just move her around too much which cause me to miss some attacks and doing continual Break Souls is so boring (but effective *sigh*)

R0ckman

If you're mastering tons of skills on your characters Eizen is great, half the time I can continually chain his Break attack. This is on evil mode.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I've never really liked playing casters in Tales but I might try Magilou more. I think Eizen is pretty fun but if I'm not on Velvet her AI seems to love to break and stay like that which drains all her health.

Giolon

Mine is this backwards. Velvet is really cookie cutter and requires no skill to use which makes her very boring to use after around 15-20 hrs in. Once the spell casters spell timing becomes shorter the more fun they are to play. Eizen by the second half of the game can easily combo a melee move into a spell and back depending on how you have your artes set up.

What makes spell casting time shorter (aside from putting the spell later into a combo)?

Momentary

Banned

That's exactly how I view things as well. The first three have the most play time... I was really wanting to get into using Eizen, but he's just not clicking with me.

Pejo

I tried each of the characters for a few battles, but always come back to Rokurou. I have some really fun combos set up from him and really enjoy how he darts in and out for his attacks. I haven't unlocked all of his artes yet, but I hope he has a big finisher besides the 2 hit knockdown move.

Just beat Berseria, and it's made me want to try Zestiria again. But then I remember that I really disliked the story. The only reason I got as far as I did was because of Zaveid and Edna.

Lagamorph

I've put a few hours into this now and whilst I'm enjoying the game overall, I'm disappointed they've gone back to a Graces style battle system. I fear that, much like Graces, it's going to be a terrible system right up until near the end of the game which is the only place it actually became remotely enjoyable.

Much preferred the style used in Xillia and Zestiria.

Taruranto

You can't take screenshots on PS4 apparently. WTF Namco?

lol at the expository dialogues in the prison sequence. Writing seem the usual Tales of so far.

I hope Eizen and Eleoner join soon, they are characters I liked playing the most in the Demo.

Aeana

I'm probably the only person who plays Tales with only the main character.

That seems very, very unlikely.

In this game, though, switching characters in and out is a major part of the battle system, so you should consider it if you haven't. You get a lot just from switching a character in and back out again, even.

Squire

Banned
You can't take screenshots on PS4 apparently. WTF Namco?

lol at the expository dialogues in the prison sequence. Writing seem the usual Tales of so far.

I hope Eizen and Eleoner join soon, they are characters I liked playing the most in the Demo.

I'm 16 hours in and El is only just now about to join. You'll have Eizen very soon though.

Bladenic

I actually played as Rose pretty often in Zesty, Sorey was kinda meh. Jude and Ludger are far away the best in their games. I played as Hubert a good bit in Graces f though.

I played as Rokurou, Eizen, and Eleanor for their sidequests and story bosses.

What's the deal with that zesteria anime that I think I saw streaming somewhere. Does it cover everything that happens in the game so I don't have to play it? I really did not like that game at all.

Giolon

That seems very, very unlikely.

In this game, though, switching characters in and out is a major part of the battle system, so you should consider it if you haven't. You get a lot just from switching a character in and back out again, even.

Do you? Like what? All the game told me is the it subtracts 1 BG level from the character that swapped out and adds 1 BG level to the character swapped in.

Datschge

What's the deal with that zesteria anime that I think I saw streaming somewhere. Does it cover everything that happens in the game so I don't have to play it? I really did not like that game at all.
It actually deviates more and more the further the anime story goes.

Yazuka

Nope. Not at all, that is my preferred way of playing the Tales of games.

Can I'm having a blast with this. I just visited
Hexen Isle
Is there somewhere I can be read about the connections on Berseria and Zestiria? Would like to check it out once in done with the game.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Nope. Not at all, that is my preferred way of playing the Tales of games.

Can I'm having a blast with this. I just visited
Hexen Isle
Is there somewhere I can be read about the connections on Berseria and Zestiria? Would like to check it out once in done with the game.
There sure is

Shameless self plug

I try to play with whichever character I like the most. Though whenever one character is much more fun to play I will stick to them. Like Ludger in xillia 2 has so much more dynamic of a moveset than everyone else. I played Milla in Xillia 1, and Rose in zestiria

I expect I will be playing velvet in this the most. Going to play a bit tonight to get patches n workarounds running before I hit the plane on friday. 12 hour flight, should get a lot in.

Peff

Do you? Like what? All the game told me is the it subtracts 1 BG level from the character that swapped out and adds 1 BG level to the character swapped in.

The reserve character tags in with a strong-ish attack, they get an extra soul and there's also the more obvious advantage of swapping a character with low HP or status effects for one with full HP and no disadvantages. The extra attack can be used to continue a combo or hit extra weaknesses the other character's Artes didn't account for.

And yeah, I would definitely suggest taking the other characters for a spin, the mages may not be to everybody's taste but Rokurou (parries!), Eizen and Eleanor are pretty fun to use. Don't be boring!

Giolon

The reserve character tags in with a strong-ish attack, they get an extra soul and there's also the more obvious advantage of swapping a character with low HP or status effects for one with full HP and no disadvantages. The extra attack can be used to continue a combo or hit extra weaknesses the other character's Artes didn't account for.

And yeah, I would definitely suggest taking the other characters for a spin, the mages may not be to everybody's taste but Rokurou (parries!), Eizen and Eleanor are pretty fun to use. Don't be boring!

Yeah, but if the character swapping in is at max BG you've just net lost 1 BG because the additional one will be wasted with nowhere for it to go. I can continue my combo by using a Break Soul, and the majority of the time I feel like using my BG is best for a Mystic Arte. I've found it hard to combo off of the swap-in attacks too because they seem to have a long-ish cooldown at the end of them and half the time they come in and overshoot the enemy or go off in the wrong direction entirely. The only time I find it generally worthwhile to swap out a character is when the one in battle is likely to die.

Further the equipment enhancement system I find entirely broken (which seems to be the primary way of getting a meaningfully higher maximum BG) due to the scarcity of certain types of materials (Bronze/Silver/Gold scraps and their corresponding equipment seem super rare compared to the other types), not to mention the near constant need to be swapping gear to make use of mastering all the equipment skills. These things mean that trying to keep all the characters in a cumulative +5, +15, +20, etc. of enhanced gear for the max BG bonus is pretty much an impossibility for me, and I'm 45 hours into the game in mid-Act 2.

Just finished the game and boy the way Berseria and Zestiria link up story wise makes for the best experience. Absolutely amazing game. Laphicet will forever remain one of my favourite Tales character. That ending yo!

Peff

Yeah, but if the character swapping in is at max BG you've just net lost 1 BG because the additional one will be wasted with nowhere for it to go. I can continue my combo by using a Break Soul, and the majority of the time I feel like using my BG is best for a Mystic Arte. I've found it hard to combo off of the swap-in attacks too because they seem to have a long-ish cooldown at the end of them and half the time they come in and overshoot the enemy or go off in the wrong direction entirely. The only time I find it generally worthwhile to swap out a character is when the one in battle is likely to die.

Further the equipment enhancement system I find entirely broken (which seems to be the primary way of getting a meaningfully higher maximum BG) due to the scarcity of certain types of materials (Bronze/Silver/Gold scraps and their corresponding equipment seem super rare compared to the other types), not to mention the near constant need to be swapping gear to make use of mastering all the equipment skills. These things mean that trying to keep all the characters in a cumulative +5, +15, +20, etc. of enhanced gear for the max BG bonus is pretty much an impossibility for me, and I'm 45 hours into the game in mid-Act 2.

Yeah, it's not something you should be spamming every fight, but as a situational tool it's definitely worth keeping in mind. If the current character only has one or two souls, 1BG isn't a bad price to swap in a character who will have four, especially when you're up against the second half of a boss and their annoying habit of abusing their Break Souls. Swapping back and forth, even if the other character does nothing, means you won't notice the loss of BG during the current fight and you get healed of any status for free plus you get your souls back.

Hmm, I didn't realize that the character you swapped in gained 1 BG. Often times I'm stuck at 1 soul and can't do shit except spam 1 attack and hope I win the fight, I guess I should be swapping in another character at that point.

Hey guys, I've come in to this thread relatively free of any impressions!

What's the general consensus on this game?A good JRPG? A good tales game? Hook me up with your opinions please! :D

Giolon

Yeah, it's not something you should be spamming every fight, but as a situational tool it's definitely worth keeping in mind. If the current character only has one or two souls, 1BG isn't a bad price to swap in a character who will have four, especially when you're up against the second half of a boss and their annoying habit of abusing their Break Souls. Swapping back and forth, even if the other character does nothing, means you won't notice the loss of BG during the current fight and you get healed of any status for free plus you get your souls back.

That's a very good observation!

Hey guys, I've come in to this thread relatively free of any impressions!

What's the general consensus on this game?A good JRPG? A good tales game? Hook me up with your opinions please! :D

Great cast, ok story told from an unconventional point of view, pretty good battle system, ok music.

Thought I'd pop in and ask I'm about 27 hours in and have just arrived to a beach town, how long do I have left of the game?
Game is fantastic as well, this is my first Tales game and I'm enjoying the hell out of it.
I love the idea of playing a group of misfits/antagonists.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Magilou is such a troll

Since people are talking about ways to play... does anyone else make the artes paths a little wonky on purpose? Just so you don't mash the same button for that perfect combo all the time.

Top Bottom