• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria |OT| The Band of the Crowe

MechaX

I am about 30 hours in, but I do have to admit, this game has a simple story that is actually pretty well told for the most part. The characters are actual... characters, and not just walking anime tropes so far (and this goes even for Velvet).

Of course, I'm waiting for the inevitable Tales third act collapse, but god I hope they can pull this one off and make the landing at least.

Bladenic

I am about 30 hours in, but I do have to admit, this game has a simple story that is actually pretty well told for the most part. The characters are actual... characters, and not just walking anime tropes so far (and this goes even for Velvet).

Of course, I'm waiting for the inevitable Tales third act collapse, but god I hope they can pull this one off and make the landing at least.

Keep waiting. It actually doesn't happen (IMO).

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
How do you even know what act you're on? does the game tell you when you go from one act to the next?
You get a trophy after each one. IIRC there's like five in this game.

Wagram

I think i'm headed into the final dungeon or the one right before it. I'm at 64 hours. That's a lot of content for one playthrough and that's not even post game.

Almost all the characters can be fun, though nothing really beats the Therion Mode Velvet can do. Rokurou I'd say is a better straight up fighter than Velvet, he has a ton of fast, stabbing type attacks and his counter is pretty damaging if you can pull it off. Eleanor has like 6 different spinning attacks too which makes her really great against big groups if she doesn't get stunlocked.

Magilou is also really fun to play. If you fight a group of casters you can stand in the middle and spam R2 and feel like you're in the eye of a storm.
I just really wish she had a better spell selection though. I've yet to find a better combination than Spirit Drop > Spirit Drop > Bloodmoon(Alter to Crown) > Crown Fire. Just via stunlock potential alone there's basically no reason to ever use another spell.

Probably the most boring characters are Laphicet, which is just a straight caster without anything really special, and Eizen who I just can't really play well. I feel like all his combos lack impact and he does really bad damage.

I've also really gotten sick of
Kamoana. I mean, this game is pretty amazing in that every character is likeable, even the peanut gallery you gather that just sits at home base. But holy shit this kid has no personality beyond crybaby. It's pretty much all she does. And her voice sounds like nails on a chalkboard but I'm not sure if it's intentional or not given that she's a demon.

As much as I love this game, I miss how Graces let you assign the spells to seperate buttons so you had more control over when you fire them off. Actually, I feel Graces still nailed game play the best. Being able to run a combo tree and then throw in a specialty arte whenever gave it a lot of flexibility, and made the magic side of the game flow better. As it stands, I really find playing magic annoying since I need to put spells in the right place of the combo, even though there are times when I would rather switch up my attacks. Still, this is probably my favourite Tales game overall. If not this, than Graces because story be damned, that combat is still the best.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
As much as I love this game, I miss how Graces let you assign the spells to seperate buttons so you had more control over when you fire them off. Actually, I feel Graces still nailed game play the best. Being able to run a combo tree and then throw in a specialty arte whenever gave it a lot of flexibility, and made the magic side of the game flow better. As it stands, I really find playing magic annoying since I need to put spells in the right place of the combo, even though there are times when I would rather switch up my attacks. Still, this is probably my favourite Tales game overall. If not this, than Graces because story be damned, that combat is still the best.

There is a glacite that allows you to assign 4 spells to Guard + Face Button. I believe you get it from doing the first Class 4 zone thing (Which just pits you against a bunch of random beasts)

Giolon

How do you even know what act you're on? does the game tell you when you go from one act to the next?

Tales games typically have a fairly distinct 3 act structure. The first act usually encompasses a (relatively) small story that's relatively personal in nature (in Vesperia it was "get the town's blastia core back". In Berseria it's
Kill Artorius
). Just as that's resolved or thwarted, a larger more world-impacting story usually comes into focus and kicks off the second act. The third act usually involves finding out some dramatic twist around what you had thought was going on and pushes to the final confrontation with the ultimate villain.

Rainy

Banned
I love the bgm in Titania.

Same. Speaking of Titania... (mid-game spoilers)

Finally happy to see Eleanor come around. That scene in Velvet's cage was intense, I liked it a lot. For how dark this game is, I think this was the happiest the whole crew has been so far. This is probably short lasting...

Strings

I've put a few hours into this now and whilst I'm enjoying the game overall, I'm disappointed they've gone back to a Graces style battle system. I fear that, much like Graces, it's going to be a terrible system right up until near the end of the game which is the only place it actually became remotely enjoyable.

Much preferred the style used in Xillia and Zestiria.

Err, this is nothing like the Graces system (which is literally the Zestiria system (made by the same internal team)). I wish it was, because while this one is fun, Graces is GOAT combat.

Aeana

Err, this is nothing like the Graces system (which is literally the Zestiria system (made by the same internal team)). I wish it was, because while this one is fun, Graces is GOAT combat.

Graces and Zestiria do not have the same battle system. Don't be crazy, sir.

Udo designed the combat for Graces, Zestiria, and Berseria, though. Proof that he is not as infallible as I once thought. (._. )

Strings

Graces and Zestiria do not have the same battle system. Don't be crazy, sir.

Udo designed the combat for Graces, Zestiria, and Berseria, though. Proof that he is not as infallible as I once thought. (._. )

Isn't it the same system, bar Armitization, and SC instead of stamina o_O? I played the games back to back, and they control identically, etc.

I dunno, I might be missing something super obvious, because I've tried to forget my time with Zestiria as much as possible.

Zestiria's combat is comically bad when compared to Graces. Zesty's flaws outside of its shitty auxiliary systems like equipment and skills are numerous. It's inexcusable to have a great battle system debased in such a fashion.

100% agreed on the outside systems. They gave it an interesting shot with the grade leveling up the lord of the land, but it's nothing compared to the addictive nature of triggering cooking, leveling up meaningful titles and gear, creating and fusing materials, collecting stamps, etc etc.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Zestiria's combat is comically bad when compared to Graces. Zesty's flaws outside of its shitty auxiliary systems like equipment and skills are numerous. It's inexcusable to have a great battle system debased in such a fashion.

Strings

MAN I really want to replay Graces f

The next game should be the Graces/Zestiria team, right? I'm really curious to see what changes they'll make. Hopefully they ditch the 'open' world and implement another landmark system, etc.

EDIT: Wait, next game could be the rumoured Vesperia anniversary project for all I know.

No, not really. I'm around level 170+ on my new game + and she has always destroyed the other team while the other 3 in my party just herp a derp even when I give them the go all out and attack command.

Im only 10 or so hours in but ehh....
tbf i can dish out more damage under the right circumstances with eizen but velvet is just too damn easy to play with
non situational break soul that always targets weakness, most hits in artes for best stunlocks, most soul break finishers have huge aoe.
eizen on the other hand has a situational break that may or may not trigger depending on your timing of your artes,the soul break at least at stage 1 is pretty meh as well. his attacks are slow and leave a huge window between them. only thing i like better about him is his first mystic arte and his outfit lol.
coudnt play as rokurou if my life depended on it. not touching magic peeps till im beefed up

Mistle

Tales games typically have a fairly distinct 3 act structure. The first act usually encompasses a (relatively) small story that's relatively personal in nature (in Vesperia it was "get the town's blastia core back". In Berseria it's
Kill Artorius
). Just as that's resolved or thwarted, a larger more world-impacting story usually comes into focus and kicks off the second act. The third act usually involves finding out some dramatic twist around what you had thought was going on and pushes to the final confrontation with the ultimate villain.

Entirely not your fault so don't feel bad, but I highlighted that Berseria spoiler as I was fairly confident I'd passed Act 1... I guess not ;_; haha oh well.

edit: oh! i misunderstood what it was you were actually saying. guess I wasn't spoiled? i already knew the motive of act 1 but whether it's entirely "resolved" or not can go on unsaid :p

Squire

Banned
Any advice for Eleanor's artes setup? I want to play as her, but her moves don't seem to flow into each other's the way Velvet's do.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

My major issue with Zestiria is the terrible equipment system and the wonky battle camera.

Unfortunately Zestiria's equipment system was passed on to Berseria but to a much more "toned down" scope.

I'm going to start this game on Friday but I want to ask, is this game coop? And if so how far does it go?

Yes, you can co-op in this game, up to 4 players. However, only player 1 can control Velvet outside of battles, such as exploring, shopping, and such. The other players' only involvements are controlling the party members in battles.

jonjonaug

I thought I was gonna finish the game tonight, then I spent almost nine hours going through side content. The side content in this game is ridiculously rear-ended, there's barely any kind of optional quests in the first half or so, then you get about half of it passed out to you from there at a decent pace until the end when it just dumps everything on you all at once.

But I think I've gotten everything squared away. No more ! icons on any of the maps finally, got all the character quest achievements, got all the alternate costumes from quest rewards, etc.

Is there anything in terms of skits/sidequests for leveling the cooking skill for any character other than Velvet?

Yes, you can co-op in this game, up to 4 players. However, only player 1 can control Velvet outside of battles, such as exploring, shopping, and such. The other players' only involvements are controlling the party members in battles.
So like the others I've played. Thanks for the info. I was wondering if I could get someone to play with me.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Oh man the area I just did had so many back to back skits and they were all amazing. Eizen talking about making tunnels and the coin one were some of the best yet.

Delio

Ive been rolling Velvet + three casters and have been stomping foes. Tho i want to get better with Eleanor's moveset. I love all the spinning.

Thoraxes

Almost at the end, only did minor side content, and all I can say is that i'm very very glad I didn't sleep on this one like I almost did. Definitely gonna play a bunch more after the credits roll because i'm quite enjoying my playthrough a ton.

Maybe even enough to do an EZ-mode run of Zestiria for a refresher.

So, regarding PC version. Did they patch the AI issue? I kinda haven't started the game yet, cause I really don't want to go through the hassle that is workaround.

Fuck, this must have been how it felt being an enemy in Zestiria. That
Armatized Oscar
fight was kind of bullshit.

Lol indeed. That fight was the first (and only so far) difficulty spike in story I've had. I had to reorganize my party and set everyone up with the right artes and tactics. I managed to beat the boss on my 2nd try.

So, regarding PC version. Did they patch the AI issue? I kinda haven't started the game yet, cause I really don't want to go through the hassle that is workaround.

Yes, they fixed it around last week.

R0ckman

So is this auto or is this from having Rokurou in the party?

When fighting his brother even on chaos his hi-ougi/mystic arte was always blocked by Rokurou, was it because I was using him? It just seems like one of the cooler characters gets his arte blocked kind of cheaply and it doesn't appear optional.

adz2ka

Was hoping that I could complete this by next weekend so I could sell it on but that's looking less and less likely considering I'm only up to the part where
the green haired child eats his mother
combined with the amount of optional content that appears to be in this game...

Delio

Jesus that
Armatized Oscar fight
pure terror. In the end it was just Laphi and Magilou defeating that boss. jesus.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Armatized Oscar
was so cool.
He felt like a legitimate threat and really drove home the fact that Armatization is something special.

There is a glacite that allows you to assign 4 spells to Guard + Face Button. I believe you get it from doing the first Class 4 zone thing (Which just pits you against a bunch of random beasts)

Wait, seriously? I didn't realize that was what it did. Not like I double checked, since I got the one that changes the arte on button hold around the same time too. I guess its time to check casters out again.

I do agree with everyone that the equipment system is bad. I actually miss the title system they had in Graces to get everything. It felt charming in a way to see how titles provided just about everything a character needed, and weren't painful to grind out. Hell, the biggest problem with the equipment system is that you have rng skills on stuff, and the grind can get huge as you move later in the game. Plus grinding for drops, and those long ass areas. Feels like the game was built with the idea of fighting a lot of regular mobs, but they missed the point that no one really wants to fight a bunch of trivial battles.

Top Bottom