• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria |OT| The Band of the Crowe

If you can't use it, then there'll be cutscenes or skits ahead of you that you should see first. Try again after watching them. Generally, you can't use inoph bottles as soon as you finished a boss fight, there'll be additional skits on your way back. Other than that, it's usually because of the story, like you're supposed to go to your destination via your ship, not using the item.

I'm just running around doing sidequests late in the game, still can't use them. Tried constantly throughout the game, never been able to use one.

Story wise I'm revisiting Hellawes

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I'm just running around doing sidequests late in the game, still can't use them. Tried constantly throughout the game, never been able to use one.

Story wise I'm revisiting Hellawes

So you are hitting your shoulder button, and it is saying "Something is preventing you from using your Inoph bottle right now", right?

So you are hitting your shoulder button, and it is saying "Something is preventing you from using your Inoph bottle right now", right?

No i press the touchpad to bring up the menu, go to items -> consumables, and try to click it and it's not clickable

Edit: but.... that answers my question, goddamit. Shit ui design

Renewed

Figured out that vJoy doesn't play nice with Berseria so I uninstalled it and now everything works fine without crashing.

About to reach Haria, bopped that code red over there though. I think I missed the code red that unlocks Intense, because I would appreciate the option for a higher difficulty. Been playing as Eizen, Rokuro, Laphicet and Eleanor. I wish artes weren't unlocked just by leveling up though

No i press the touchpad to bring up the menu, go to items -> consumables, and try to click it and it's not clickable

Edit: but.... that answers my question, goddamit. Shit ui design

I think you missed the tutorial for that. :p

Figured out that vJoy doesn't play nice with Berseria so I uninstalled it and now everything works fine without crashing.

You don't need vjoy anymore. The AI problem has been fixed long ago.

Renewed

Yeah I noticed the AI problem is fine. But I have vJoy installed for use of my Gamecube controller for classic games. This causes interference when I decide to use a PS4 controller as inputs aren't detected and if I launch DS4Windows, Berseria crashes. So it's either play with a keyboard and mouse, or uninstall vJoy to use my controller without issue.

As good as the game already is, it really becomes something special once the sixth teammate joins the party. Having a 'good guy' to contrast your team of anti heroes/outright villains creates a lot of fun and interesting character dynamics

Lnds500

I am trying to activate magilou's final break soul arte. Any suggestions? I get the mechanics behind it, but I can't find a mob that uses that uses that many artes at the same time..

R0ckman

How do you interrupt magic artes efficiently? Was playing the last boss on chaos but had to drop to evil because in the time I could break them out of casting, the casting would trigger, sometimes killing the entire party. Did not have time to charge my attacks since they spammed.

Any skills in this game that give my casters super armor as well?

Am interpretting this right?
It seems part of the reason Laphicet was a jerk to Velvet in his Inominat form is because he was frustrated at his sister during his life as a sick kid. Artorious also said he would rather have had Velvet and Laphicet die on the opening than his wife and child?

Datschge

Wait,
if Melchior's power is over Ice and Teresa is also an ice element, which Empyrean did they awaken/turn into? Was Melchior just Earth? Does it even matter? Did they really reincarnate or just wake them up?

Is Zaveid giving Dezel his jacket a real thing?

Why wasn't Lailah in this game? :(
Random questions I've been ruminating on since beating the game...
Regarding Lailah
I read a guess that she may actually be Eleanor reborn as malak as she's been the vessel for Phi/Maotelus. In general they leave a lot open for interpretation, but I just can't imagine Lailah having been left out completely

How do you interrupt magic artes efficiently? Was playing the last boss on chaos but had to drop to evil because in the time I could break them out of casting, the casting would trigger, sometimes killing the entire party. Did not have time to charge my attacks since they spammed.

It seems part of the reason Laphicet was a jerk to Velvet in his Inominat form is because he was frustrated at his sister during his life as a sick kid. Artorious also said he would rather have had Velvet and Laphicet die on the opening than his wife and child?

I tried on intense, but I could not do it. The best defense against spells is Magilou, but you need to be the one controlling her. Still with the amount of spells coming at you, I would run out of souls trying to absorb them all...

R0ckman

Regarding Lailah
I read a guess that she may actually be Eleanor reborn as malak as she's been the vessel for Phi/Maotelus. In general they leave a lot open for interpretation, but I just can't imagine Lailah having been left out completely

Her Japanese voice actress died is probably the technical reason.

Arkeus

Regarding Lailah

I'm half wondering if she was supposed to be
Magilou's reincarnated form
as there are some similarities here and there, but I guess it makes mroe sense for her to have been completely left out. Seems a bit strange though, as I had gotten the impression she was quite old.

Dawg

Something I thought was off near the beginning of the game...

You learn about daemons and how bad they are and your entire village turns into ferocious werewolves and it's made clear they have just become evil monsters.

But then not long after that scene you escape the prison in Titania and you can just talk freely to werewolves and even a zombie in there. Hell, I think a werewolf prisoner was even chilling next to a human prisoner like it was nothing.

Just found that odd.

Vic_Viper

Does the Daemon Samurai guy (forgot his name) ever use his sword, or is his main weapon the dual knives?

Thinking about picking this up for PC but havent decided if I should. Only other Tales game I played was Xillia and while I really liked the story and art style, I never felt like I understood the combat. I really want to pick a Tales game to start with but I cant decide which one to go with for my real first Tales game. I own Symphonia on PC, Xillia and Xillia 2, Tales of the Abyss, and im thinking about picking up this and Vesperia. Which would people here recommend starting first that has the best Story overall? I asked in the Tales Series OT and someone recommended Berseria as a good starter but that thread is pretty much dead so i figured Id ask here since Berseria is still new and fresh in people's minds.

I like everything about Berseria ive seen other than the Overworld being gone, and im not a big fan of the main character Velvet. If the story is worth it though, I can get past her looks since her combat style looks awesome.

Bladenic

I'm half wondering if she was supposed to be
Magilou's reincarnated form
as there are some similarities here and there, but I guess it makes mroe sense for her to have been completely left out. Seems a bit strange though, as I had gotten the impression she was quite old.

Yeah thought she was older than Edna. That's why I posted my theory about her
being a seraphim in this game, as per the bonus dungeon. She may not be on Earth yet.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Does the Daemon Samurai guy (forgot his name) ever use his sword, or is his main weapon the dual knives?

His main weapon is the twin blades, the sword only comes out for a few cutscenes.

There is something small that makes me wonder if they may make a game even farther in the past.

On Norman island, they talk briefly about the person who made the weapon Siegfried, "Siegfried the first Oracle", and about the first Norman who ever left to see the world.

Bladenic

His main weapon is the twin blades, the sword only comes out for a few cutscenes.

There is something small that makes me wonder if they may make a game even farther in the past.

On Norman island, they talk briefly about the person who made the weapon Siegfried, "Siegfried the first Oracle", and about the first Norman who ever left to see the world.

To be honest I'm still confused about how Siegfried works lmao I must've not paid enough attention and I don't recall stuff about it from Zesty.

R0ckman

You learn about daemons and how bad they are and your entire village turns into ferocious werewolves and it's made clear they have just become evil monsters.

But then not long after that scene you escape the prison in Titania and you can just talk freely to werewolves and even a zombie in there. Hell, I think a werewolf prisoner was even chilling next to a human prisoner like it was nothing.

Just found that odd.

Its casually explained that some demons keep their ability to reason. Others, fully lose it. I think the prisoners on the island actually were forced to become demons or something.

Just found that odd.

Yeah I wondered about that too as I played. I don't recall the game ever offering much of an explanation for why some daemons are feral monsters and others are just... normal dudes pretty much. It just is what it is.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Yeah I wondered about that too as I played. I don't recall the game ever offering much of an explanation for why some daemons are feral monsters and others are just... normal dudes pretty much. It just is what it is.
Rokurou confuses me the most. He doesn't look or act like a Daemon at all outside of half of his face.

Neither does Velvet really but her personality and abilities definitely changed after becoming one... Rokurou could easily be a normal guy and the story wouldn't change at all.

Wagram

I've been trading my Soul for trophies these past 10ish hours. I hate the AI and the AI options in this game. I just want the AI to stand still and do nothing. ;;

Wagram

Put them on Manual then. Do you want them dead or something?

Manual only works for the party leader in this for some odd reason. The main reason I would like it is for title grinding. Enemies chase after the defending units which also move and make enemies run more. If you could have them stay still it would speed up the process. I don't know why, but they took out a lot of mechanics you could use in previous Tales. Hell there's no target party leaders enemy in this.

Yeah I noticed the AI problem is fine. But I have vJoy installed for use of my Gamecube controller for classic games. This causes interference when I decide to use a PS4 controller as inputs aren't detected and if I launch DS4Windows, Berseria crashes. So it's either play with a keyboard and mouse, or uninstall vJoy to use my controller without issue.
Just disable vJoy. Open the config and hit the checkmark at the bottom, then launch Berseria.

Bladenic

Manual only works for the party leader in this for some odd reason. The main reason I would like it is for title grinding. Enemies chase after the defending units which also move and make enemies run more. If you could have them stay still it would speed up the process. I don't know why, but they took out a lot of mechanics you could use in previous Tales. Hell there's no target party leaders enemy in this.

I've been grinding titles just fine with the AI defending and for dangerous battles it's better if they go after the AI so they don't gang up on you.

And thank god for the enemies not only targeting the party leader or else playing as mages would be hell.

The fact that there's no Manual option for AI is weird though.

CrazyDude

Inominat isn't a form, it's a being. He has Laphicet's memories and body form, but it's not exactly him. If we clone you, and implant the memories that you have into that clone, is it you or a new person with your body and memories? Inominat existed before Laphicet existed, so we know he's its' own entity. The way I see it is that Inominat inherited Laphicet's memories and then twisted those memories.

I picked this up on PC. It's my first Tales game as I've heard mixed things about the last few entries. 6 hours in and I'm pretty into it but I will say that the systems for combat will take some getting used (I still don't know what things like guard breaks are) to and I'm still not sure when I should be using the special items you tend to get from boss fights. But I'm playing on normal and haven't really run into anything that has been challenging anyway. But yeah, I'm excited to see how the characters grow as I get deeper in.

Giolon

I picked this up on PC. It's my first Tales game as I've heard mixed things about the last few entries. 6 hours in and I'm pretty into it but I will say that the systems for combat will take some getting used to and I'm still not sure when I should be using the special items you tend to get from boss fights. But I'm playing on normal and haven't really run into anything that has been challenging anyway. But yeah, I'm excited to see how the characters grow as I get deeper in.

I assume by special items you get from boss fights you mean the various Potentites? If so, those are all passive effects. The most awkwardly worded ones are the Glacites that add to a pool of random skills that can appear on weapons.

See:
GlaciteExplanation1.jpg
GlaciteExplanation2.jpg

I assume by special items you get from boss fights you mean the various Potentites? If so, those are all passive effects. The most awkwardly worded ones are the Glacites that add to a pool of random skills that can appear on weapons.

See:
Yes! Ok, I must have missed that because I kept getting those and assumed I used them in battle. I definitely feel like I would be destroyed if I played on harder difficulties. Like do people normally switch out their attack skill bc I've noticed it kinda does this on its own.

Giolon

Yes! Ok, I must have missed that because I kept getting those and assumed I used them in battle. I definitely feel like I would be destroyed if I played on harder difficulties. Like do people normally switch out their attack skill bc I've noticed it kinda does this on its own.

At the beginning of the game, you don't have many Artes, so it just repeats the ones you have over and over on the combo set ups. As you learn more, they automatically update the default combos to utilize most of your new artes. Eventually you will have more than can fit on the 4x4 grid.

You will have an easier time if you do tailor your Artes combos to what you're fighting, particularly against bosses, dire foes, and code red enemies. Each attack has 1 or more enemy types it does bonus damage against as well as an elemental type. Matching up to enemy weaknesses makes a huge difference in how much damage you can put out. On Normal difficulty, you can probably get away mostly with using the defaults.

Just know that for example, Velvet's default combos never used her Hidden Artes, only her Martial Artes

(There's 3 types:Martial (physical), Hidden (lower of physical and magical stat respectively for both attacker and defender) , and Malak (magical) Artes.)

Coldsun

Banned
I'm curious. After seeing such positive feedback for the game, where is the cheapest legit (no g2a) place to pick up a steam key?

They explained it later in the game.
People with strong willpower can still act and look pretty normal after becoming a demon.
But they still feel different from when they were human.

I just gave Magilou a weapon that looks like a cat. When she uses her mystic arte using that weapon, it looks like she's hitting enemies with a giant old 4chan meme.

Taruranto

The skill system is pretty simple in the end, nothing like Zesty's one. It still not good and effective as Vesperia's, though (FFIX's system basically).

Bladenic

Nah it had spawned once before in my first playthrough in a last game area and I played that one on Hard but I didn't kill it.

Hmmm I wonder why he never appeared for me, it's not like I didn't kill everything in sight. Oh well, can't complain with that HP count that early on

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm on the final lull before the ending doing side content, but I'm wondering how do you unlock the outfit recolors? I just finished the Magilou one and got her trophy but didn't get it, figured they'd be tied to that.

Top Bottom