• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria |OT| The Band of the Crowe

ToZ had solid foundations, but it did jack with it. It should have been Sorey and his Seraphs' journey, but none of the Seraph are really developed except maybe Dezel and Rose basically hijacks the plot from midway on. I'm not one to believe conspiracy theories, but the way the game treats Rose character is hard to believe she wasn't the result of someone pushing for her.

People often joke about Mikleo being the heroine, but in reality he doesn't really get much screentime either once he comes a sub-lord. The resolution to Edna's arc is basically a sub-quest. (Ironically they are Zesty more popular characters, eh)

They handled Dezel horribly.
The whole transition from him to Zaveid was done almost comically ineptly.

Bladenic

They handled Dezel horribly.
The whole transition from him to Zaveid was done almost comically inept.

It was wildly disrespectful. It made me kinda hate Zaveid at first. Putting on the hat and saying "I'm the replacement Dezel gotta wear the hat." Plus that fucking hat ruined his design.

Dawg

Kamoana's voice is definitely part of why she's so annoying. If the VA was told to be as insufferable as possible, they sure as hell succeeded.

At the same time, I see people complaining about Magilou's English VA but I think she's having the time of her life playing that character.

Bladenic

Kamoana's voice is definitely part of why she's so annoying. If the VA was told to be as insufferable as possible, they sure as hell succeeded.

At the same time, I see people complaining about Magilou's English VA but I think she's having the time of her life playing that character.

What??? Magilou has the best voice in the cast. I mean I guess Velvet delivers a better overall performance because she has some incredible scenes but overall Magilou's VA really sold her character.

I think they must have called in her VA and the VA had some virus that was eating away at her vocal cords, but at that point they had signed the contract and didn't want to lose the money, so they just had her do Kamoana anyway.

Only possible way I can think of to get VA this bad.

ToZ had solid foundations, but it did jack with it. It should have been Sorey and his Seraphs' journey, but none of the Seraph are really developed except maybe Dezel and Rose basically hijacks the plot from midway on. I'm not one to believe conspiracy theories, but the way the game treats Rose character is hard to believe she wasn't the result of someone pushing for her.

People often joke about Mikleo being the heroine, but in reality he doesn't really get much screentime either once he comes a sub-lord. The resolution to Edna's arc is basically a sub-quest. (Ironically they are Zesty more popular characters, eh)
I liked rose. I found her bubbly personality contrasted by her whole "Ill do the dirty work so you dont have to" thing really interesting. I however did not care about the rest of the cast. Lailah was fun but ultimately uninteresting, Sorey and Mikleo were insufferably annoying. Same with Zaveid. Dezel was boring. Edna's schtick has gotten old to me. Alisha barely exists. Just a really boring cast, and the whole main story being a slog doesnt help. The best actual story was probably Edna's side quest.

benzopil

Those are some crazy people.

I adore everybody's voice: Velvet, Eleanor, Magilou etc. But Kamoana is just infuriating.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Kamoana's crying pierces your eardrums.

I think Bienfu's is worse though. All the other VA is great.

Arkeus

Berseria basically fixes the lore part of the world. Other than that there are no other real connections. In fact its a little depressing knowing that whatever is accomplished in this game goes to pot in the future.

What?

Zestiria/Berseria relationship is "one flows directly from the other". Like, basically everything in Zestiria only happens because of what Berseria's party did after killing Artorius.

I mean, Zestiria's theme is
giving people choices
and Berseria's theme is
claiming your ability to make choices

Basically everything Sorey think comes because of
how Magilou/Phi/Eleanore rebuilt the Shepherds

Hell, the whole plot with Hedarf is
because Hedarf's free will was violated by the previous shepherd, which forced a false armatization with Maotesu on both of them
and Sorey's answer is
to give back to Hedarf the choice to be who he wants
It was wildly disrespectful. It made me kinda hate Zaveid at first. Putting on the hat and saying "I'm the replacement Dezel gotta wear the hat." Plus that fucking hat ruined his design.

Well, I think that scene makes sense given that Zaveid was the one who gave Dezel his jacket, so it was basically a "Now it's my turn to remember you".

So I've done up to the skit where Magi and Velvet do their comedy routine, and still no costume for Magi. Any idea where to go next? I don't see any "!" nearby.

Im having trouble doing the lvl 2 Mystic Artes, i hold L2 after doing a 8 hit combo and still do the first mystic arte. Am i doing something wrong?

OniBaka

Just finished it and so far it's my goty, love all the characters. This game needs more recognition.

How does it connect to ToZ? Should I just watch the anime?

selo

Im 26 hours in now, enjoying this game a lot. I really think this game beats all other tales game in terms of story and its tone. I still miss things from Vesperia though, like boss secret missions, the old cooking system, magic lens :(. But yeah.. great game so far!

Id like to come and post/read more on here, but I'm still not done with the game, and I see some spoilers (or not spoilers, but mentions of things that I would rather not know) not marked as such, makes me regret it every time :(

Datschge

But what's underneath Magilou's books??????
The back of the book of course!
Innocent Phi is so adorable. =D

People often joke about Mikleo being the heroine, but in reality he doesn't really get much screentime either once he becomes a sub-lord. The resolution to Edna's arc is basically a sub-quest. (Ironically they are Zesty more popular characters, eh)
Story conspiracy theory discussions are all pointless as they tend to miss the realities of development, and that is that story cohesion nearly always takes a backseat to delivering a "full" game at deadline. With Zestiria it's plenty obvious that many separate parts were already done (everything voiced, everything animated) but the development staff scrambled to put all of these together and adapt the story to make it work as a whole somehow. That way we ended up with plenty rushed transitions that feel out of place with the other story parts. Unless you want developers to more often resort to alternate story telling mechanics like the latter part of FF15 stories in games are always a compromise between what a scenario writer initially wrote and what the staff manages to finish until the deadline. In the ideal case the needed development time is accurately accounted for from the beginning, and aside repetitive samey dungeons for Berseria they seem to have managed just that. Especially compared to Zestiria.

Squire

Banned
I watched the first two episodes of the ToZ anime last night. Can't speak to the game, but the show is immediately pretty good at pulling me in and making me want to see what happens next, which Berseria also does well. Already recognizing some terms/concepts, so I'm curious to see how this links up to Berseria.

Having followed her on twitter for a little while now, I feel confident saying Magilou is the most Erica Lindbeck character Erica Lindbeck has ever voiced.

Bladenic

You need 4 (or is it 3? Can't remember off the top of my head) souls after the 8 hit combo.

You need 4 BG, Souls don't matter. Also it's not an 8-hit combo but rather 8 arte chain. So you can do three artes, break soul, 3 artes, break soul, hold L2 as the break soul hits. Or any combination like that.

You need 4 BG, Souls don't matter. Also it's not an 8-hit combo but rather 8 arte chain. So you can do three artes, break soul, 3 artes, break soul, hold L2 as the break soul hits. Or any combination like that.

Yeah, that's what i messed up on!

Also

Come sinner! And repent for your wicked deeds!!!!

Holy shit at Laphicet's!!! It was so fucked up yet hilarious at the same time!!! RIP slug, you deserved better

R0ckman

I think they chose Kamoana's voice well.
They needed her because she has the pure sin of greed. AKA she is a spoiled rotten brat. The voice is perfect for it.

e_i

Laphicet (Phi) is all kinds of awesome. I can't help rooting for him, especally during that speech he gave to Velvet when
she was about to be consumed by Inominant and he pulled her back.
. Also, fuck Melchior.

R0ckman

What?

Zestiria/Berseria relationship is "one flows directly from the other". Like, basically everything in Zestiria only happens because of what Berseria's party did after killing Artorius.

I mean, Zestiria's theme is
giving people choices
and Berseria's theme is
claiming your ability to make choices

Basically everything Sorey think comes because of
how Magilou/Phi/Eleanore rebuilt the Shepherds

Hell, the whole plot with Hedarf is
because Hedarf's free will was violated by the previous shepherd, which forced a false armatization with Maotesu on both of them
and Sorey's answer is
to give back to Hedarf the choice to be who he wants

I think you're reading into Heldalf a bit too much there.
He simply wanted to die but he couldn't. Sorey was giving him what he needed, it was best for him and the world. Suicide by the Sheperd. That had to do with the sub-theme that was also in Berseria, that death can also save someone. Hedalf was still a terrible villain because he had no room for sympathy, he being the one with the most authority in the situation that caused his own curse. With great power comes great responsibility and he abused it. And even when he turned back into a human he was still egging Sorey on to kill him, no thanks, at that point his execution became sealed as a judgement.

A lot of what you mentioned could be missed, and is not required to beat the game, this is why I said its not deeply connected to the sequal. If you are only focused on completing the game, at most you will only notice a few connections with the enviornments and some foreshadow. This isn't a direct prequal because these events take place 1,000 years before Zestria, this is more so an explanation of lore and how it effects Zestria. To me a direct prequal would be how the two warring faction were developed and became hostile and journeying with the Shepard before Sorey.

Bladenic

Laphicet (Phi) is all kinds of awesome. I can't help rooting for him, especally during that speech he gave to Velvet when
she was about to be consumed by Inominant and he pulled her back.
. Also, fuck Melchior.

Best scene in the game and among the series. Plus that was the best performance by Laphicet's VA.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Wait,
if Melchior's power is over Ice and Teresa is also an ice element, which Empyrean did they awaken/turn into? Was Melchior just Earth? Does it even matter? Did they really reincarnate or just wake them up?

Is Zaveid giving Dezel his jacket a real thing?

Why wasn't Lailah in this game? :(
Random questions I've been ruminating on since beating the game...

Ydelnae

Woo, I just finished the
revisit to Velvet's town and if it turned out that the real Laphicet was alive all along I would have smashed my controller.
the section was well done, though.

I loved how Melchior went all "the plot points behind our reasoning will be explained later, bye" lol

Wow I thought that the entire main cast minus Laphicet were phenomenal. Kamoana is the low point though.

Lnds500

The EX dungeon...What an awful, awful grind, ughh... Don't advance past each Katz that offers you a warp until you have at least 150 katz spirits.

Does anyone know where the Katz is in the last dungeon (Heavenly Steppes, Empyrean throne)?

EDIT: Found the fucker - hidden on the right side of the throne room door.

Celcius

°Temp. member
The EX dungeon...What an awful, awful grind, ughh... Don't advance past each Katz that offers you a warp until you have at least 150 katz spirits.

Does anyone know where the Katz is in the last dungeon (Heavenly Steppes, Empyrean throne)?

To the far right of the door at the top of the stairs in the middle section.
I understand your feelings on the length of that ex dungeon lol.

Wagram

Grinded 10 levels and it did nothing. The final (i'm assuming boss right before the very final boss) is total shit. If you rely on an enemy to spam one massive AoE that can insta-shot back to back to back, non-stop, you failed. It's bad design.

Grinded 10 levels and it did nothing. The final (i'm assuming boss right before the very final boss) is total shit. If you rely on an enemy to spam one massive AoE that can insta-shot back to back to back, non-stop, you failed. It's bad design.

I finished the game on moderate difficulty, and I've never grind for levels ever. I even skip most enemies in dungeons if I could. I fight at least every one of each new enemy to fill up my bestiary, and that's all.

So, regarding that fight. I totally focused my attack on
Innominat. Artorius is pretty easy after Innominat is taken care of.
The fight ended without much hassle for me. I'd say the very final boss battle gave me more problem than the previous one.

I finished the game on moderate difficulty, and I've never grind for levels ever. I even skip most enemies in dungeons if I could. I fight at least every one of each new enemy to fill up my bestiary, and that's all.

So, regarding that fight. I totally focused my attack on
Innominat. Artorius is pretty easy after Innominat is taken care of.
The fight ended without much hassle for me. I'd say the very final boss battle gave me more problem than the previous one.

I was cruising through the game on intense, with only a few hiccups from time to time. I had to turn the game to hard, use an all divide, and control magilou to hold off the spell spam. It is absolutely nuts. My party was dead in seconds, and i spend plenty of time mastering skills and leveling equipment.

Beat the game on Hard and had a blast.

Had some mild trouble in the final boss battle.
Realized very quickly the smartest thing to do was take out Innominat first and had every set to interrupt Artes, and then Arthur fell like a fucking cheap suit and him in his powered up form wasn't even that threatening because I played Magilou and just spammed her Fire spells the whole time while Laphicet was constantly casting spells and not getting attacked while Eleanor and Eizen got in their shots while also healing. He maybe KO'd two characters at one point and that was it.

This game easily ranks second right up under Abyss as my favorites of the series. Loved how every character had their time to shine and no one particular person ever really stole the show. Sidequests did a lot too to help get into the characters. Not to mention the use of skits in this game is bar none to the other Tales games.

Now I'm gonna do a NG+ and wear nothing but silly outfits and use the people I didn't use much. Meaning everyone besides Magilou and Eleanor.

Wagram

I finished the game on moderate difficulty

I was on Intense, but I had to drop it to Hard. It was non stop 1 hit KO otherwise.

Anyways I finished it. 8.0/10 in my opinion. I would rank it as #6 for me. Behind Xillia, but above Symphonia.

+Decent Story
+Good characters
+Equipment Learning System
+Lots of Content
- Terrible Balancing which leads to boring combat
- Velvet's Outfit
- Skills from Weapons suck
- OST is lacking
- Bland area design for the most part

I was cruising through the game on intense, with only a few hiccups from time to time. I had to turn the game to hard, use an all divide, and control magilou to hold off the spell spam. It is absolutely nuts. My party was dead in seconds, and i spend plenty of time mastering skills and leveling equipment.

I was on Intense, but I had to drop it to Hard. It was non stop 1 hit KO otherwise.t

Right, I think that explains it. I also think the game is too easy at times on moderate, but time is of the essence this week as I was highly anticipating Nioh. I beaten the game in 54 hours according to Steam, and it's pretty long considering that I barely do any of the side activities. I beat Zestiria in 40 hours and I did lots of side quests in that game. Berseria is pretty well-packed with story content. I can clearly feel the bump in writing quality and budget in Berseria compared to the previous game.

TheFatMan

Totally. I skipped every one of her line. Fuck her.

Dude I just got to the part of the game where she starts talking (and crying) all the damn time and I just can't take it. It is so annoying and her voice is like nails on a chalk board.

I just tap X through her scenes, I wish Velvet would eat her.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Doing a bunch of side quests, what is with all these typos in the text. Its almost like its some joke I'm not getting. Like "Not you sounds out" is written, when they say knock your selves out.

How do i use inoph bottles? I'm 34 hours in and i still can't get anything to happen when i try to use one

If you can't use it, then there'll be cutscenes or skits ahead of you that you should see first. Try again after watching them. Generally, you can't use inoph bottles as soon as you finished a boss fight, there'll be additional skits on your way back. Other than that, it's usually because of the story, like you're supposed to go to your destination via your ship, not using the item.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ok, I'm pretty sure they used a different voice actor for Dyle for a conversation in a side quest near the end. He just sounds wrong.

Top Bottom