• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria |OT| The Band of the Crowe

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I wasn't sure whether to click the spoiler because to me it seemed like mostly all the cities in the game were port cities.

Is there an in depth guide to the combat? I'm getting by just fine after 8 hours, but I feel like I'm just button mashing. Does the order of the artes matter? Also does the chain stop if I switch buttons? For example X + X + X + X is one chain, but let's say I wanted to do O + O + X + X. When I hit X on the third arte, does it start the chain over as if I'm doing X+X+X+X?

Trojita

Is there an in depth guide to the combat? I'm getting by just fine after 8 hours, but I feel like I'm just button mashing. Does the order of the artes matter? Also does the chain stop if I switch buttons? For example X + X + X + X is one chain, but let's say I wanted to do O + O + X + X. When I hit X on the third arte, does it start the chain over as if I'm doing X+X+X+X?

You can mix and match however you like. as for OOXX, the third X will be whatever the third arte is for the combo tree setup in your artes menu is for X.

The combat opens up a bit as you get even farther in the game and unlock more artes. At times I'm still button mashing lol. Whenever I see myself doing more power or weakness hits with a certain combo I go in on that one more. Some of the default trees especially when you unlock more artes are half decent. Even the "do whatever" arte thing is halfway decent.

There definitely are some artes that don't combo well into each other, but things will get a little easier to mix and match with some variety as you get further in the game.

LowParry

Ugh, I need to finish this game before Friday. Though I can't remember where I left off. Probably 35 hours in. Should be almost done. Should be. :(

Trojita

I just got to Southgand. The beaches look so nice! I'm on my way to Palamedes now.

I thought I remember someone mentioning a beach in this game was terrible and or long?

You can mix and match however you like. as for OOXX, the third X will be whatever the third arte is for the combo tree setup in your artes menu is for X.

The combat opens up a bit as you get even farther in the game and unlock more artes. At times I'm still button mashing lol. Whenever I see myself doing more power or weakness hits with a certain combo I go in on that one more. Some of the default trees especially when you unlock more artes are half decent. Even the "do whatever" arte thing is halfway decent.

There definitely are some artes that don't combo well into each other, but things will get a little easier to mix and match with some variety as you get further in the game.

I guess I'm having issues with originally trying to time moves to what the screen says is being executed. For example if I'm expecting certain artes to be executed, I get thrown off because someone else in my party does a move that interrupts what arte is displayed on the top row.

Which beach? The only part in the game that I hated so far was that one mine where you meet the Stormquell forger. That dungeon went on for way too long.

It's the beach on the way to the
water temple
, in Palamedes. I just started avoiding battles and rushed through the area.

Near end game some of the areas tend to go on forever. That final dungeon....it was almost too much.

Trojita

It's the beach on the way to the
water temple
, in Palamedes. I just started avoiding battles and rushed through the area.

Near end game some of the areas tend to go on forever. That final dungeon....it was almost too much.

Oh the weird lagoon looking place? I'll remember to rush through. This is probably one of the first titles that I'm obsessed with getting all of the loots dropped by a specific enemy type, since they are either rare or you don't get them till later.

I'm having a problem constantly running out of things to grade master.

kewlmyc

I just got to Southgand. The beaches look so nice! I'm on my way to Palamedes now.

I thought I remember someone mentioning a beach in this game was terrible and or long?

Yeah, the beach "dungeon" was surprisingly good looking. Ended up actually using the swimsuit DLC in that dungeon since it actually looked like a tropical island.

CEJames

Ugh, I need to finish this game before Friday. Though I can't remember where I left off. Probably 35 hours in. Should be almost done. Should be. :(

I'm at the 112th hour and still not done LOL. Last dungeon though. Good luck beating it before Friday :p

Celcius

°Temp. member
Sorry but you're nowhere close to the end. It took me 60-61 hours iirc. (and I skipped side stuff until I got to the post game)

So I just finished the Palamedes? temple, and I am really trying to beat this game before tomorrow so I can switch to Horizon. About how much do I have left?

Avallon

So I just finished the Palamedes? temple, and I am really trying to beat this game before tomorrow so I can switch to Horizon. About how much do I have left?

I'm right before the final dungeon and I have 70+ hours clocked so far. There's a ton of sidequests that opened up right before the final dugeon, so I don't really want to do it yet, but I'm in the same boat with Horizon.

If I beat the game, can I go back and do sidequests afterwards on the same save?

Renmyra

Apparently you can't go back to the ex dungeon floor you were on even though you have the warp point? What's the point... Guess I'll have to spend another few hours going through it again.

edit: ehh, I think I forgot to activate them or something.

So I just purchased the pirate dlc and...It's no where to be found even though it says installed (though....It never downloaded)

I did a license restore, still nothing, not under the dlc tab under items either.

Did just get robbed arghhh

Edit - apparently I had to redownload catalog 1?

Celcius

°Temp. member
So I finished the game yesterday. Where do I need to go for the
Jude + Millia battle
?

Apparently you can't go back to the ex dungeon floor you were on even though you have the warp point? What's the point... Guess I'll have to spend another few hours going through it again.

edit: ehh, I think I forgot to activate them or something.

Right, once you kill a boss and get a warp point then be sure to go through the warp and then warp back. Otherwise it won't be there in the future. I learned the hard way.

Ok so I had to download all the other catalogs first to get it to work

So 40 hours in and I'm only realizing now you can edit a fashions placement, size and color

Game keeps surprising me

Lol this game sexist as shit

(Spoilers) (40 hours in)

as soon as Teresa is no longer an exorcist and loses her Malak, rendering her useless to the bad guys, her bro pretty much says "yo go in the kitchen and go make me some quiche"

kewlmyc

Lol this game sexist as shit

(Spoilers) (40 hours in)

as soon as Teresa is no longer an exorcist and loses her Malak, rendering her useless to the bad guys, her bro pretty much says "yo go in the kitchen and go make me some quiche"

Everything about those two is weird as shit to be honest.

Everything about those two is weird as shit to be honest.
Yeah, any twins with blonde hair I just think Jaime and cersei Lannister now. (Or whatever color that is, they are just super weird)

Anyone else use cheat engine in this game? I gave up on the equipment system and just +9:ed everything.
With horizon coming out.....I just boosted my guys up 20 levels and don't have time to fight enemies or whatever. I pop holy bottle and just run paste or hover board through enemies.

If I was still young I would grind and play with the equipment system.

Rainy

Banned
Just beat the game. Got pretty choked up, maybe a teardrop fell heh.

Final battle was fairly straightforward on Moderate. The double battle was obviously harder, especially when they both just kept spamming mystic artes in the second half of the fight. Didn't have too many life bottles left but it worked out.

Damn I got hella sad when Velvet stabbed Arthur. Whew that scene. The game foreshadowed pretty blatantly that Velvet was going to sacrifice herself so I saw that coming. But good lord the ending credits with all the drawings of the ideal world if none of this ever happened....that got to me.

Not to mention that post-credits scene.

Also this would be three straight games were a Tales protagonist dies at the end right? I didn't play Zestiria but Sorey dies there too doesn't he?

Considering I didn't play Zestiria...something happens to Laphicet right? Like Maotelus gets corrupted or something right? Did they mention how that happens?

All in all my favorite Tales game, will write more detailed impressions later.

demidar

Final battle was fairly straightforward on Moderate. The double battle was obviously harder, especially when they both just kept spamming mystic artes in the second half of the fight. Didn't have too many life bottles left but it worked out.

Damn I got hella sad when Velvet stabbed Arthur. Whew that scene. The game foreshadowed pretty blatantly that Velvet was going to sacrifice herself so I saw that coming. But good lord the ending credits with all the drawings of the ideal world if none of this ever happened....that got to me.

Also this would be three straight games were a Tales protagonist dies at the end right? I didn't play Zestiria but Sorey dies there too doesn't he?

Considering I didn't play Zestiria...something happens to Laphicet right? Like Maotelus gets corrupted or something right? Did they mention how that happens?

Zesty ending spoilers
Sorey doesn't die, but he's kept in stasis for a really long time (long enough for Rose to die of old age). The stinger is that he catches an older Mikleo's hand or something so he's probably still kicking.

evilsin

Yeah, Maotelus gets corrupted in Zestiria, because the earth itself was his vessel and it gradually became more corrupt which affected him. The bad guy, Heldalf, who is Zestiria's Lord of Calamity gets pumped up on malevolance and armortizes with Maotelus in the end.

Taruranto

Lol, they forgot to block screenshots in one of the islands.

At this point I'm trying to fight as little as I can, the game is just a chore to play. Boring dungeons, boring fields, equipment system that barely registers, battle system that is basically O,O,R2,R2 and L2. Decent characters can only carry you so far.

Rainy

Banned
Zesty ending spoilers
Sorey doesn't die, but he's kept in stasis for a really long time (long enough for Rose to die of old age). The stinger is that he catches an older Mikleo's hand or something so he's probably still kicking.

Ah I see.

Yeah, Maotelus gets corrupted in Zestiria, because the earth itself was his vessel and it gradually became more corrupt which affected him. The bad guy, Heldalf, who is Zestiria's Lord of Calamity gets pumped up on malevolance and armortizes with Maotelus in the end.

Man that sucks.

benzopil

Finished the game after 52 hours

Wasn't as emotinally destroyed at the end as I thought I will be. Great ending, everything seems logical, sad and happy at the same time. But I hate how dragon-Lafi chose a different name for himself, "meh I don't want, Velvet gave it to me" like wtf man?

Rewatched my favorite scene where Lafi saved Velvet from despair, and shit destroyed me again lol. Very powerful episode.

bomblord1

Banned
So I just had a head smack moment
captureh9k8u.jpg

Bladenic

Finished the game after 52 hours

Wasn't as emotinally destroyed at the end as I thought I will be. Great ending, everything seems logical, sad and happy at the same time. But I hate how dragon-Lafi chose a different name for himself, "meh I don't want, Velvet gave it to me" like wtf man?

Rewatched my favorite scene where Lafi saved Velvet from despair, and shit destroyed me again lol. Very powerful episode.

That was definitely the best scene in the game. Laphicet's VA came thru, so good.

Finished the game last night and over all, enjoyed it so much more than I could have guessed. It was so nice to actually have a really good story in a JRPG again and for one that leans on the anime-ish side, refreshing as hell that it wasn't the typical power of friendship cliche you get in shounen non-stop. There were still some hammy anime-esque moments in the later stretch but nothing unbearable and the mantra of truly living was better than the aforementioned cliche. Right up there in importance with the story is the characters and I really enjoyed this group. In fact, after
Eleanor
finally grew on me, there wasn't a single primary party member I didn't like. I really enjoyed Velvet's VA too. The lines where she's injecting warmth into her words were especially enjoyable. Story and characters are the two most important qualities for me in RPGs and as I quite enjoyed both, I think I'd go as far as saying I loved this game. While all didn't resonate with me equally, there were some emotionally packed scenes and the one in particular everyone here agrees on is a particularly powerful moment. All the more so as it feels earned from your time with these characters.

As I've only played Symphonia and Abyss prior to this, the game play was fun and different from what I'm used to in JRPG fare. I also liked the FFIX-esque learning system with equipment though I had that same annoyance I have with Materia in FFVII which is that I hate having my stats take a hit to equip something new. Late in the game I quite bothering in favor of keeping higher stat equipment on. On a humorous note, I didn't figure out Life Bottles rezzed you until the final boss battle lol I assumed right away that that's what they did but then I read the description and it said something about curing all status ailments so I was like "huh" and as the game was so easy on Normal, I didn't have opportunities where I needed to rez people through out the game to test it. The final boss battle managed to take out a couple of my guys when mystic arts were semi-spammed and thus I learned the majesty of life bottles ha

Oh, my main complaint besides some overly long, plain fields is that Bienfu and the demon girl are up there for the most annoying characters in any game I've played. I absolutely can't stand their voices. Who the hell thought these were good choices for VAs? So so so incredibly jarring to a degree I don't feel one could be hyperbolic when slandering them ;p I mashed the button quickly to skip past their talking scenes as soon as I finished quickly reading what they said. That BIIIIEEEENNN with tears crap non-stop and the other crying virtually every time she was on the scree, sometimes for the most stupid of reasons. Ugh. Ok, phew, got that off of my chest finally and feel better haha

Bravo to the developers and I'll know keep a watchful eye on their next effort! It will be a boon right off the bat to not be a cross-gen game.

Rainy

Banned
Beat the game yesterday but was too busy to write impressions until tonight.

Overall I think this is my favorite Tales game. I've played Symphonia, Legendia, Abyss, Graces, Xillia 1/2 before this. I got a few hours into Zestiria but never finished it and I never had a 360 to play Vesperia. This game really hit all the high notes for me, mostly in terms of story and the characters. Eleanor was definitely the last character I warmed up to but I absolutely loved her by the end of the game. The skits did well at fleshing out the characters, much better than other Tales games, but I wish they were a bit more spread out; I felt after certain story events sometimes they put 2-3 skits in a row and considering how long they are that's a bit overkill. I really did bond with the characters and the ending hit me like a ton of bricks. I'll miss this cast :(

The gameplay was pretty fun. I enjoyed battles, but it definitely could get a little button-mashy at times, especially if you play Velvet. I unfortunately didn't really play around with a lot of the other characters, but I did play some of Eleanor and she was quite fun. The equipment system was okay, better than what I saw in Zestiria anyway. It was weird getting like 35 Amber Swords through battles though, I never even bought weapons for a lot of the game because I knew that I would just find them among the drops in the next dungeon. Speaking of dungeons...whew, they really do need to work on this. Way too many open green fields, or dark caves. Need to at least spice it up a little. Also it sucks that SO MANY of the dungeons had the same music. I wish we could at least get a little more variety in future games. There were a few solid tracks though, such as the theme of the final dungeon as well as Velvet and Zaveid's theme. The OP by FLOW is also really good.

The voice acting, at least for the English dub, was amazing. Might be the best Tales yet. Velvet and Magilou's VAs specifically did a great job. The localization mistakes towards the end of the game were a bit weird though.

Anyway I hope they can keep up this writing quality for the next one. I'm pretty excited to see what the game will look like considering the next one will actually be built for the PS4.

9/10 for me.

Cornbread78

That's about the halfway mark.

TY.

Sheeeet. I need to hurry up dammit. Not going to bother with Nier now since Persona comes out in only a month.

Fuck, I'm going to have to skip, Nier, Horizon, Mass Effect and Kingdom Hearts 1.5/2 5...

This is terrible.

Rainy

Banned
TY.

Sheeeet. I need to hurry up dammit. Not going to bother with Nier now since Persona comes out in only a month.

Fuck, I'm going to have to skip, Nier, Horizon, Mass Effect and Kingdom Hearts 1.5/2 5...

This is terrible.
Yeah the game is quite long. I think I finished with around 60 hours, and I did nearly all the side quests. The only Tales game that took me longer was Symphonia I think. Maybe Abyss but last time I played that was 2006 so I don't exactly remember.

Trojita

I finished the water temple (Palamedes)

As someone that played Zestiria and saw what looked like contradictory information, it was good to get the reveal that happened when leaving the island.

I still don't understand why they couldn't see
general malevolence until now. I guess it could be explained that the Therions were already setup by the time of Velvet escaping, but who was the Therion before the priestess girl?

It made me lol at how fast Velvet and co. left
the island when shit was getting worse.
I did miss out on
getting a Katz box that I didn't have enough orbs for :(

Taruranto

I finished the water temple (Palamedes)

As someone that played Zestiria and saw what looked like contradictory information, it was good to get the reveal that happened when leaving the island.

I still don't understand why they couldn't see
general malevolence until now. I guess it could be explained that the Therions were already setup by the time of Velvet escaping, but who was the Therion before the priestess girl?

It made me lol at how fast Velvet and co. left
the island when shit was getting worse.
I did miss out on
getting a Katz box that I didn't have enough orbs for :(

What do you mean?
People couldn't see Malevolence before the Opening except people with the Resonance ability.

Therions suck all the "negative energy" people emanate, so as long things are fine they are not needed. No idea how humans managed to proliferate until now if as soon things go a bit south everyone turns into demons, though.

Trojita

What do you mean?
People couldn't see Malevolence before the Opening except people with the Resonance ability.

Therions suck all the "negative energy" people emanate, so as long things are fine they are not needed. No idea how humans managed to proliferate until now if as soon things go a bit south everyone turns into demons, though.

Once people could
see Daemons and thus Malevolence they should have been able to see the floating bits of Malevolence. The change brought on when leaving Palamedes was highly noticeable. Even normal citizens should have the resonance high enough. Only way this shouldn't happen is if a Therion was in place or a Malakh/Seraph is a lord of the land. I'm guessing worship to the water Empyrion either sufficed or was literally the latter.

Top Bottom