• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
asbel second mystic arte is so badass, there's something about his sheathing/unsheathing sword fighting style sets him apart. too bad storywise he is such a wuss.

I'm so disappointed all the MAs are like 5 seconds long, after Vesperia's.

Beats the fairly lengthy ones from Symphonia 2. I didn't sign up for FF cutscene attacks ;P

It's a shame Asbel is such a wuss. No spoilers... but does he ever have a badass moment in cutscenes and what not?

My god,
Kurt
is such an ass. Even with Asbel spamming Infernal Torrent and a party of AI healers he still took forever to get down.

I did just noticed that Malik's samurai costume has a pony picture on his breastplate.

I started ng+ with 10x damage.........LOL. Battle send in 1 second. It's glorious. Too bad enemies kill fast. Demon fang saving me early on. Is there a strategy I should stick to playing like this?

Edgeward

I've had to run from a total of 2 battles, at most, lol. One of them was for Rockagong Fur, the other was because I was straight buttflexed and just barely escaped.

I had to run away for the 1st time in the desert when I went to the right after the port town and not left. They don't really warn you of how much more stronger the enemies are there. ._.

Thoraxes

I just did the huge puzzle in the
Amarcian
Ruins in the desert.

No guide, no cheating; I did it all on my own.

Took about 30 minutes or so, and man was it really satisfying and fun. I love puzzles like this.

Amarcian
Ruins in the desert.

Took about 30 minutes or so, and man was it really satisfying and fun. I love puzzles like this.

I did, too :)
I'd never use a guide for something like that.
It was fun

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm right before the final boss in the future arc... is there anything I should do before I beat it?
D'you have your Narikiri titles, Fourth Blast Calibers, and Accel Mode? Those are the only things I can think of that you'd really need. Finally, regarding that certain character for Future Arc,
if you're planning to get Richard's titles to get the trophies in one go, you should get it done now because he won't be with you when you go back to the main game

If you forgot anything, you could always beat the main game again and use that clear save to redo the Future Arc for stuff you missed.

Amarcian
Ruins in the desert.

That's probably my favourite dungeon in this game.

D'you have your Narikiri titles, Fourth Blast Calibers, and Accel Mode? Those are the only things I can think of that you'd really need. Finally, regarding that certain character for Future Arc,
if you're planning to get Richard's titles to get the trophies in one go, you should get it done now because he won't be with you when you go back to the main game

If you forgot anything, you could always beat the main game again and use that clear save to redo the Future Arc for stuff you missed.

I don't have any of the Narikiri titles. I do have all the fourth blast calibers, though.
Also, yes, regarding that certain character, I should probably grind out his titles before I finish up future arc...
Well, looks like I have lots of grinding to do tomorrow
Thanks for the help, Schala.

How's the story for this game? It seems like generic anime, especially with the amnesiac girl.

Also can you control other characters besides Asbel?

How's the story for this game? It seems like generic anime, especially with the amnesiac girl.

I enjoyed the story... it IS pretty generic anime, but, I enjoy generic anime.

You can control every other party member, you can even switch in battle with the d-pad (each party member corresponds to a particular direction on the d-pad)

You're not forced to grind, but you may end up doing so anyway because the battle system is so fun, and leveling up titles is addictive

Bladenic

asbel second mystic arte is so badass, there's something about his sheathing/unsheathing sword fighting style sets him apart. too bad storywise he is such a wuss.

His third is even better. Everyone's third mystic arte is like all kinds of awesome and badass.

Paracelsus

I'm still in grelside, should I keep going with the stock weapons or learn to synth? Playing the whole thing in hardo modo.

scy

I'm still in grelside, should I keep going with the stock weapons or learn to synth? Playing the whole thing in hardo modo.

I'd do some dualizing just to get the hang of it.

That said, if you can dualize a bit for profit, Gralesyde's store has a Battle Sword at Stamp Level 4 (e.g., card says "5") and that will last you awhile so you don't have to worry about dualizing it a bit to only find a replacement one city later.

Paracelsus

I'd do some dualizing just to get the hang of it.

That said, if you can dualize a bit for profit, Gralesyde's store has a Battle Sword at Stamp Level 4 (e.g., card says "5") and that will last you awhile so you don't have to worry about dualizing it a bit to only find a replacement one city later.

I see, thanks. Will probably work on evade when dualizing.

Some suggestion for "scamming" stores into raising Stamp Levels? Most of them have junk I don't need but I need to raise the level for the cartas. |:

barrin87

So I figured I would go through the part of the final dungeon that I could last night. I freaking hate that place!!! I was playing on hard and was in just a regular battle but kept on dying. I used about 5 life bottles and even 3-4 elixers on top of that and I still died.

Here I thought I was doing good with my current levels but apparently I still can't cut it. Now I am not sure what I should do.

I don't want to lower the difficulty to moderate because the bonuses just aren't that good. I can't go train in the Uncharted Sand Stretch either because the enemies are too powerful. I was fighting enemies in there on Moderate and battles were still taking well over a minute to complete.

Anybody have any good ideas? I am currently around level 60.

scy

I see, thanks. Will probably work on evade when dualizing.

Some suggestion for "scamming" stores into raising Stamp Levels? Most of them have junk I don't need but I need to raise the level for the cartas. |:

Keep in mind that the stamps are not just from what you buy; stuff you sell counts towards it as well. Same for recharging the Mixer and dualizing costs. I'd basically just dualize for profit (even small amounts) by buying the best weapons/armor you can and dualizing them for some gains. You can even sell the resulting gems if you don't need them. Look through your materials and try to dualize things together to make items to sell; if you have items that are full and nothing to make from them, just sell them off and get more as drops.

I think Steel is probably the best stuff you have on-hand from the merchants and that should be a starting Quality of Hard. So:

Hard Weapon + Hard/Cool/Buff Shard => Rigid Quality
Rigid Weapon + Rigid/Grand Shard => Solemn Quality

Edit: Rigid Weapon + Sunny Shard => Formal Quality is slightly better. Forgot Rigid can get to Formal :/

You can sell that for a slight profit (should sell for ~4000 Gald on average?) or just repeat the process once more:

Solemn Weapon + Buff Shard => Buff Quality
Buff Weapon + Keen/Hard/Rapt/Buff Shard => Rigid Quality

This would then sell for around 8000 Gald, though the dualizing costs may not make it worth it. And the time spent tempering it over and over.

So I figured I would go through the part of the final dungeon that I could last night. I freaking hate that place!!! I was playing on hard and was in just a regular battle but kept on dying. I used about 5 life bottles and even 3-4 elixers on top of that and I still died.

Here I thought I was doing good with my current levels but apparently I still can't cut it. Now I am not sure what I should do.

I don't want to lower the difficulty to moderate because the bonuses just aren't that good. I can't go train in the Uncharted Sand Stretch either because the enemies are too powerful. I was fighting enemies in there on Moderate and battles were still taking well over a minute to complete.

Anybody have any good ideas? I am currently around level 60.

Don't try to level in the Sandstretch but the Ruins at the end. The Sandstretch enemies are mostly for their shards. They're ridiculous on Chaos and not worth the effort compared to ez mode Ruins.

Alternatively, you can go back to a previous dungeon (say,
Lambda's Cocoon
) and toss on Book of Enthusiasm (x2 EXP) with Borscht (In-Battle: Do a 30+ Hit Combo for +EXP) or Rice Omelette (Post-Battle: >50% Mixer Energy for +EXP) and get about 4x the normal EXP out of the fights. Book of Enthusiasm does halve your stats so it's easier to hit the longer combos but the enemies do get a bit harder.

I think Book of Audacity stacks with it if you want to add that. Makes enemy criticals basically one-shot kills though.

barrin87

Keep in mind that the stamps are not just from what you buy; stuff you sell counts towards it as well. Same for recharging the Mixer and dualizing costs. I'd basically just dualize for profit (even small amounts) by buying the best weapons/armor you can and dualizing them for some gains. You can even sell the resulting gems if you don't need them. Look through your materials and try to dualize things together to make items to sell; if you have items that are full and nothing to make from them, just sell them off and get more as drops.

I think Steel is probably the best stuff you have on-hand from the merchants and that should be a starting Quality of Hard. So:

Hard Weapon + Hard/Cool/Buff Shard => Rigid Quality

Edit: Rigid Weapon + Sunny Shard => Formal Quality is slightly better. Forgot Rigid can get to Formal :/

You can sell that for a slight profit (should sell for ~4000 Gald on average?) or just repeat the process once more:

Solemn Weapon + Buff Shard => Buff Quality
Buff Weapon + Keen/Hard/Rapt/Buff Shard => Rigid Quality

This would then sell for around 8000 Gald, though the dualizing costs may not make it worth it. And the time spent tempering it over and over.

Don't try to level in the Sandstretch but the Ruins at the end. The Sandstretch enemies are mostly for their shards. They're ridiculous on Chaos and not worth the effort compared to ez mode Ruins.

Alternatively, you can go back to a previous dungeon (say,
Lambda's Cocoon
) and toss on Book of Enthusiasm (x2 EXP) with Borscht (In-Battle: Do a 30+ Hit Combo for +EXP) or Rice Omelette (Post-Battle: >50% Mixer Energy for +EXP) and get about 4x the normal EXP out of the fights. Book of Enthusiasm does halve your stats so it's easier to hit the longer combos but the enemies do get a bit harder.

I think Book of Audacity stacks with it if you want to add that. Makes enemy criticals basically one-shot kills though.

Ah, OK. I ran through the Uncharted Sand Stretch and saw the ruins at the end but I didn't go into them since I figured they would be just as hard. I will try going in the ruins and try grinding in there. The enemies prior to that were just a joke how hard they were. I thought about going to the last dungeon I went through but the enemies seemed to spaced away from each other to make it worth the time.

scy

Ah, OK. I ran through the Uncharted Sand Stretch and saw the ruins at the end but I didn't go into them since I figured they would be just as hard. I will try going in the ruins and try grinding in there. The enemies prior to that were just a joke how hard they were. I thought about going to the last dungeon I went through but the enemies seemed to spaced away from each other to make it worth the time.

Dark Bottles. Dark Bottles all day. Just make sure it's in a small room with at least two enemies in it (for Sandshroud and
Lambda's Cocoon
, these would actually be the first rooms with enemies; even have a convenient vendor for recharging the Mixer not far away!)

And yeah, I figured the ruins would be ridiculous too when I went back to the Sandstretch and found them still damn hard. And then the EXP wasn't even worth it! But the Ruins are a lot easier with the exception of one encounter in my opinion (
2x Emerald Weapons + 1x Golem; goddamn death lasers. That and the self-destruct on the Weapons that my AI/me screws up and dies to way more often than I'd care to admit :x
).

EXP is nice too; with Enthusiasm and Borscht, I get ~20-25k EXP for most fights at the 80s. So it's still forever between levels but less of a forever. Looking forward to NG+ with 10x EXP lol.

barrin87

Dark Bottles. Dark Bottles all day. Just make sure it's in a small room with at least two enemies in it (for Sandshroud and
Lambda's Cocoon
, these would actually be the first rooms with enemies; even have a convenient vendor for recharging the Mixer not far away!)

And yeah, I figured the ruins would be ridiculous too when I went back to the Sandstretch and found them still damn hard. And then the EXP wasn't even worth it! But the Ruins are a lot easier with the exception of one encounter in my opinion (
2x Emerald Weapons + 1x Golem; goddamn death lasers. That and the self-destruct on the Weapons that my AI/me screws up and dies to way more often than I'd care to admit :x
).

EXP is nice too; with Enthusiasm and Borscht, I get ~20-25k EXP for most fights at the 80s. So it's still forever between levels but less of a forever. Looking forward to NG+ with 10x EXP lol.

Cool, as always I appreciate the information! I haven't actually tried using dark bottles in a dungeon and have only tried them outside in long stretches with enemies just because there are lots of enemies to respawn. I just figured if I only worked on a couple it would take longer.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Amarcian
Ruins in the desert.

Oh yes, It was fun to figure out. It took me about 20-30 minutes to figure out. I hope that they would keep it up with puzzles in future tales. Most of puzzles in old tales was ridiculous easy.

Sorry, I missed this one.

5x and 2x XP stack to give you 10x XP. Similarly 2x and 5x damage stack to give you 10x damage. If you're kinda nervous about those bonuses because the enemies get the same bonuses, you could probably stick with 5x damage to see how you feel about it. If you're playing on a lower difficulty (but most of my experience is with Chaos/Evil difficulty so I'm not sure how the lower difficulties feel), I'm not sure that the 5x damage on behalf of enemies will affect your party. I'd imagine that it won't feel like much of a difference unless you're on a boss.

I did the 60 seconds trophies on my first playthrough without the NG+ bonuses (on Easy, then reset to do the boss fight for real), so I imagine that having the damage bonus(es) and doing it on Easy would make the trophies substantially easier to get despite having the enemies' higher attack stats to deal with. You don't really need as much as 5x damage, imo, to get the trophies--especially if you're lowering the difficulty to Easy. But again, my experience with the game is on Chaos mode, so my thoughts in terms of difficulty are generally biased towards there.

If you're inheriting titles, you can pick and choose the ones to level up first so you can get certain techniques like Infernal Torrent, Incineration Wave, Plasma Shock, Abyssal Seal, Diabolic Rage, Phantom Pulse, Heaven's Wrath, etc... to make certain human/fiend bosses much easier.

If you're planning on bumping the difficulty up during this playthrough, I wouldn't go for the SP bonuses because on higher difficulties, they throw SP at you like candy. If you're planning on keeping the difficulty the same or similar to your first playthrough, take the SP bonuses.

Seriously, I overlook that message. Thanks for advices.

Dark Schala, I decided to bite the bullet and do the AI strategy switching method on
Richard
; worked like a charm. Thanks for the tip again.

Story's something awful, I tune out all the cutscenes because the characters literally have nothing worthwhile to say. You play this game for gameplay and gameplay alone lulz.

BluWacky

Story's something awful, I tune out all the cutscenes because the characters literally have nothing worthwhile to say.

I don't think the story's awful - it's just, well, not even really there. It feels a little like you're bumbling around from place to place - I get that some people are nearly at war or whatever but there's no real concrete focus on what you're aiming to do. The skits are more interesting than the actual storyline, which I suppose is a common theme with Team Destiny games, but I don't often "tune out" of cutscenes as much as I have with this one.

It could be worse, though. It could be Tales of Rebirth. Even putting aside the racism stuff, the first few hours are literally "Where have the captured women gone? They must have gone to THIS town! Oh, wait, they're not there, but your next party member is - so let's head to the next town instead!".

It could be worse, though. It could be Tales of Rebirth. Even putting aside the racism stuff, the first few hours are literally "Where have the captured women gone? They must have gone to THIS town! Oh, wait, they're not there, but your next party member is - so let's head to the next town instead!".

You forgot KUREA! x 1000 to summarize Rebirth's plot

Sagitario

[chapter 4]

I was feeling really really tired last night and decided to play only for 1 hour or so, do some sidequests and just grind the Eleth Mixer.
Well, I did the optional
Bryce
boss fight. It went like this:
~4 battles on Chaos -> ~4 battles on Evil -> ~4 battles on Hard -> ~4 battles on Moderate. I don't remember if I finally won on Moderate or Normal (for each battle I changed strategies, party members, artes, etc. to see what it worked and what didn't)

I was probably under-leveled, but damn if this boss wasn't a cheap bastard :| (and it didn't help that I wasn't feeling like playing at all).

Also, first time I could really see how bad the party AI is: they were just standing there, doing nothing for several seconds during the whole fight.

Random: Eleth Mixer @ 18XX and Tutlez stamp level = 5 or 6 :D

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You forgot KUREA! x 1000 to summarize Rebirth's plot
I think Kurea is the least of that game's problems with regards to the narrative. At least Kurea's funny. The narrative is just bad based on what BluWacky said... especially the whole
HOHOHO Let's cast a spell on the world to make everyone racist to realize our ultimate goal because we need the negative energy to fulfill our plaaaaannnn!!!
bit. Ugh. So stupid.

Dark Schala, I decided to bite the bullet and do the AI strategy switching method on
Richard
; worked like a charm. Thanks for the tip again.
No problem. It's still unfortunate that you couldn't pull it off the way you really wanted to, though.

The skits are more interesting than the actual storyline, which I suppose is a common theme with Team Destiny games, but I don't often "tune out" of cutscenes as much as I have with this one.
I usually felt that way too. I generally like the skits and the way it's done in TD games than TS games. The TD narratives don't seem as dramatic or hard-hitting like the TS ones, I feel.

I've come to appreciate Graces' narrative more after a few playthroughs, though.

Neki

I forgot to get Asbel's level 3 MA, so now I have to use Hubert/Pascal for the rest of the future arc, lol. Hubert is pretty fun though, spamming Rolling Thunderbolt is such good crowd control.

Really?

The whole world about to go to war just... ends cuz the old lady said so?

Man... the plot is... really? This feels like a gundam plot where they ran out of budget for the fights.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Can someone give me some tips on the combat system?

I just beat you know who in the Castle.

Like...sometimes I feel like I know exactly what I'm doing...but other times I just feel like I'm mashing buttons and running out of CC.

How long does it take to actually GET the combat system? I dunno. I just need pointers :(

I had to run away for the 1st time in the desert when I went to the right after the port town and not left. They don't really warn you of how much more stronger the enemies are there. ._.

This was the only fight I've ran away from. The enemies there were 1 hitting my characters.

Heh, I was surprised to see my roommate has purchased almost all of the costumes and attachments for this. Malik's costumes are all amazing. :D

I wonder if we are getting any more attachments or what attachments hasn't been brought over yet. As cute as it is for everyone having mini-Sophies hanging off of them, I would like some change.

Chris R

Like...sometimes I feel like I know exactly what I'm doing...but other times I just feel like I'm mashing buttons and running out of CC.

How long does it take to actually GET the combat system? I dunno. I just need pointers :(

I'm only 10 hours in (just finished some stuff in the castle too, but no idea if we are at the same point) but just remind myself to slow down and take a break after a nice combo to get my CC back. Then I guard and watch for a chance to side step behind the enemy. And for bosses/harder enemies I check their type and try to exploit their weakness with my artes.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I wonder if we are getting any more attachments or what attachments hasn't been brought over yet. As cute as it is for everyone having mini-Sophies hanging off of them, I would like some change.
I think we got the bulk of them. The piyo-piyo set, the bunny set, the cat set, the glasses set, the box set, the santa set, the angel set, the Sophie set, and the turtle set. I'll check the JP store a little later and see what else we're missing, but it seems like have pretty much all of it.

We're just missing the Tales cameo costumes:

00127ua47.png

0024ecajb.png

I wrote something up all the way back on Page 83 which seemed to help someone else out. I hope it helps, but if you have any questions, just ask away.

Really?

The whole world about to go to war just... ends cuz the old lady said so?

Man... the plot is... really? This feels like a gundam plot where they ran out of budget for the fights.
You sound like me when I was playing through Rebirth. I think that was about the time when I stopped putting too much stock in Tales plots and just played the games for what they were. :lol

The story and music in this game is awful, but the gameplay makes up for everything. I'm addicted to grinding SP to level up titles and Dualizing too. I really don't care too much for the character interactions - some dialog just borderline drives me insane.

Top Bottom