• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

Camera looks like shit for MP.

Have they ever got that working properly? Only time I tried it was Symphonia and the camera doesn't even acknowledge other players lol.

RPGCrazied

Nice to see another video. Just wish we could hear some of the English cast. Looks like we aren't going to hear the other guy's voices until it releases.

FSLink

Banned
Camera looks like shit for MP.

Have they ever got that working properly? Only time I tried it was Symphonia and the camera doesn't even acknowledge other players lol.

It's playable in Graces f. Abyss and Vesperia are about the same.
Can't you change the camera angle in Graces? Can't remember if it was Graces or a different Tales.

Without playing the game I'm not sure what's going on in that video lol hard to tell if they're playing well or playing like crap.

Without playing the game I'm not sure what's going on in that video lol hard to tell if they're playing well or playing like crap.

I would say kinda terrible. I mean, they aren't dying, but I did noticed some enemies looked like they were trying to run away instead of charging so the characters could be overleveled.

But, they weren't using the sidestepping efficiently or at all and instead tried using the slower walking or even free run to get to the enemies. I did noticed at times where they were just attacking into the air, so they might have not really been paying attention or couldn't focus where they were.

Proven

The Graces camera is more than fine, after playing the JPN demo. The only reason it comes up as an issue is because of how confused you get from everything happening. I realized that once I played with a few friends and we didn't constantly spam artes so we could slowly figure out how things moved, the camera didn't really need to be "dealt" with. I assume things will be even better when you play from level 1 and have fewer enemies to start with along with far fewer flashier effects.

How are B-arte shortcuts done in PS3 Graces compared to the Wii? If there's one big pet peeve I have with Tales games I've played up until now is the game giving you a ton of artes, but not enough shortcuts to utilize a good portion of them.

Proven

How are B-arte shortcuts done in PS3 Graces compared to the Wii? If there's one big pet peeve I have with Tales games I've played up until now is the game giving you a ton of artes, but not enough shortcuts to utilize a good portion of them.

That's something I didn't get to play around with either. Is it like Vesperia PS3 where you can set up to 16 artes? That was glorious. Anything more than 8 makes me happy, although I suppose the A arte system will keep me up at night anyway.

I always use this guy's for Tales games.

http://ameblo.jp/koulinovesperia/

scroll down to Tales of Graces Future (PS3 Version Only)

Might take a bit to get used to his format, but he doesn't miss a thing. Also no spoilers and stuff.

Ah maybe Ill check it out, definitely would love a spoiler free type guide, the guide I follow now for Abyss turned me off cause the person puts litrally major spoilers with no warnings at all, so I can barely even read ahead.

FSLink

Banned

No Artes Ball unfortunately, but you get 4 shortcuts on the right stick.

Aeana

Excuse me, but since he didn't get a superbowl commercial, blast TV channels and websites with advertisements in the two weeks leading up to release, give out thousands of dollars in swag to reviewers (and pay off any reviewer who didn't see that as enough for a good score), and announced that Namco will localize every Tales game: past, present, or future (or they could just bring over Vesperia PS3, that's worth more than every single unlocalized Tales game), he's a horrible PR man.

Okay.

Or he's a jerk for stringing fans along with nonsense.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
It's like they went out of their way to mute the battle voices in that video.

They didn't mute it. But it was annoying. I could also hear the clicks of the buttons and stuff. I am Garrus Vakarian and that was not my favorite video on the Citadel.

PR man. I'm telling ya, Capcoms worse. Look @ the current SF x T situation lol.

No that's two birds with one stone. Lying and scamming us.

Agreed, over the course of a standard RPG you go with over 600+ battles, something this simple really does improve the experience a hundredfold.

Oh man, yeah attention to this kind of detail should make things so much better. When you're stuck in a long dungeon that you just wanna get the hell out of, it'll be super helpful.

lJCj7.jpg

At least it has free shipping...

20K!? LOL, I thought 5G's for Tales of the Abyss was hilarious.

jorgeton

Decent video. Not very informative, but good to see the game in motion. Wow @ the graphics. Did not expect them to be so pretty.

Solune

I feel bad after watching that co-op walkthrough video since I always thought that Filthie Rich might be a retarded person because of the way he writes on twitter/lack of ToGf marketing but he sounds like a pretty nice person ._. .

It's already been addressed but Filthie Rich is an incredibly likeable personality. Some people may be unacquainted with him but watching him do commentary with Markman on Tekken and Soul Calibur is extremely satisfying. They are both knowledgeable and funny without resorting to "profanity" while being respectable.

Lack of ToGf marketing is more likely because it's not his forte.

I went to pre-order my copy and I was really surprised because it's the most pre-ordered game of the month in my local store(and there's tons of AAA games coming out this month).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Of course lack of marketing isn't his fault. But the stuff he said and the Graces reveal jerk around are another story.
Yeah, he said some dumb stuff (though that's putting it rather lightly); very poor damage control.

Speaking of which, I wonder if people are still going to boycott this game in the hopes that they'll get Vesperia PS3 or Xillia?

Tlaes fo Grcaes would've been a great game though.
Well, we have that placeholder boxart from GameStop with the Tales of Xillia screenshot, but that might be GameStop's fault.

Maybe. >.>

kiryogi

Banned
It's already been addressed but Filthie Rich is an incredibly likeable personality. Some people may be unacquainted with him but watching him do commentary with Markman on Tekken and Soul Calibur is extremely satisfying. They are both knowledgeable and funny without resorting to "profanity" while being respectable.

Lack of ToGf marketing is more likely because it's not his forte.
FLITHIERICCCH

Kid Asbel still makes me chuckle.

Don't get me wrong. I like Laura Bailey. I just... uh, I can't help but to think of the more irritating characters she's voiced in the past few years like Omochao or Welch. I liked her as Marta, but that was at a time when I didn't hear her in a lot of stuff. I really liked her performance in Nier, but that's probably because it was different from her usual stuff.

I like using Cheria in battle manually a lot (and thus will hear her voice a lot). Problem is, I might hear 'Omochao' instead of 'Cheria'.

"OooooOOOooooh, Sempai, you're so COO-uhl!!!" is what I'll hear every time she raises her voice at any time for any reason.

You hear the same actors over and over in Japanese, too.

I still play around with the idea that new VAs mimic famous ones leading to only like 7 or 8 distinct ones: scrappy protagonist, tender, breathey Ojou-type, nails-on-chalkboard squealer, etc.

At least it's no Welch Vineyard, that made me wish you could dragon kick voices.

Fucking WELCH.

Looking at the video I can't get over how every single battle loads so fast.

EVERY single JRPG should be that fast when transitioning into battles.

Amen!

MechaX

Welp, I think I'll put in my preorder tonight or tomorrow. Slightly strapped for cash, but I guess I can get rid of some games that I don't really play. When considering that the battle seem is shaping up to be really good and the story is just standard as opposed to god-fucking-awful like a lot of JRPGs as of late, I think it'll be worth it.

Top Bottom