• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

Astra

I wonder if GameStop will get their copies in on Tuesday or on Wednesday? I haven't preordered from them in years.

Should be Tuesday. At least for EBgames here. They usually call me the night before, and say I can pick it up the following day, so they get the games in before the actual release date.

What does an astronaut sound like?

Like a Xenosaga character, and that's in space!
Seriously though, I know I heard Malik in one of the Xenosaga games, but can't think of who, and now it's bugging me.

john tv

He sounds a little deep to me too, but those are among his first lines in the game; I'm guessing as the character loosens up along the way, so will the voice actor.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
She's doing the adult too. Ugggghhhhhhh. Dang it this is not making me feel any better today.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
And now Cheria. Not quite as high pitched as her Marta voice tended to be.
Video should be spoiler-tagged, btw, for anyone else who wants to see it.

She's doing the adult too. Ugggghhhhhhh. Dang it this is not making me feel any better today.
I assumed that since they cast her as child Cheria, she'd also be adult Cheria. I didn't expect her to use the Marta voice since Cheria ≠ Marta. But...

Well... it's passable (good voicework, though, personal feelings aside). I'll leave it at that.

kayos90

Video should be spoiler-tagged, btw, for anyone else who wants to see it.

I assumed that since they cast her as child Cheria, she'd also be adult Cheria. I didn't expect her to use the Marta voice since Cheria ≠ Marta. But...

Well... it's passable (good voicework, though, personal feelings aside). I'll leave it at that.

I'm pretty sure this was not the case in the JP version. Regardless I'm giving Bailey more crap than I should. I've had a horrible experience with ME3 yesterday and today. Freezing up 10+ times and losing a save while I'm trying to review for a site is extremely extremely frustrating.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm pretty sure this was not the case in the JP version. Regardless I'm giving Bailey more crap than I should. I've had a horrible experience with ME3 yesterday and today. Freezing up 10+ times and losing a save while I'm trying to review for a site is extremely extremely frustrating.
It wasn't. But since Bailey has a range, it makes sense to cast her in both roles for consistency. Also, cost effectiveness.

Which version of ME3 is this?

kayos90

It wasn't. But since Bailey has a range, it makes sense to cast her in both roles for consistency. Also, cost effectiveness.

Which version of ME3 is this?

PS3. I love the game. The technical problems in the game are absolutely unacceptable.

MechaX

He sounds a little deep to me too, but those are among his first lines in the game; I'm guessing as the character loosens up along the way, so will the voice actor.

I feel like Michael McConnohie would have been a better choice for the "older, slightly battle wizened guy" without sounding deeper than he should. But Price is good too, so maybe he'll get more into his role later in the game (especially during Malik's more humorous moments).

Datschge

Camera looks like shit for MP.

Have they ever got that working properly?
There are several camera types (focus on player, on targeted enemy, all allies, all enemies, like that) one can change on the fly in battles and have been in plenty Tales already ("Team Destiny" 2D ones included).

Well well ..i tried to get another copy for a friend and it seems it's out of stock and some sites ( play-asia for exemple ) .. Amazon seems to still have copies.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

RPGCrazied

Malik sounds good, Asbel sounds decent. I'm sure the remaining 2 males will be sufficient. Sounding like a pretty good voice dub. :)

kewlmyc

Edit: Hubert, Richard, and Pascal videos have been posted.
Hubert's video contains minor spoilers related to Cheria's video around the :45 mark.

I only saw the first 10 seconds, is that bad enough? :p
It spoils a plot point that's early on in the game. It's kinda bad considering said plot point is a big benefactor to Asbel's character and motivations.

If you really want to watch it, the spoiler begins around the 0:55 mark, so just stop the video there.

kewlmyc

Please tell me you can turn off subtitles?

All modern games have this option, so I don't see why this game won't let you.

Also, now that all the major character voices videos are out, I can say that I'm a fan of all of them. Good job Namco Bandai. Also JYB isn't any of the characters, sorry guys.

scy

Also, now that all the major character voices videos are out, I can say that I'm a fan of all of them. Good job Namco Bandai. Also JYB isn't any of the characters, sorry guys.

pre-order cancelled

I'm curious how the battle system holds up to pure 3D melee action combat games such as NG, Bayo, DMC, GoW, or Vindictus. I've seen a lot written about how great the combat system is, so I'm looking forward to being impressed. I have my pre-order in and I'm probably going to write a review. If the gameplay is worth it, I'll ignore that the main cast looks like a bunch of 13 yr olds (regardless of what their profile says).

Aeana

0dRhA.gif

kayos90

Hubert's video contains minor spoilers related to Cheria's video around the :45 mark.

It spoils a plot point that's early on in the game. It's kinda bad considering said plot point is a big benefactor to Asbel's character and motivations.

If you really want to watch it, the spoiler begins around the 0:55 mark, so just stop the video there.

Saw the pascal video. Not as good as the japanese one. pre-order cancelled. rofl.

Edit: SPOILERS IN THE VID, sorry about that :p

And now Cheria. Not quite as high pitched as her Marta voice tended to be.

I'm ok with it. As long as it never really reaches the same pitch as Rise or Marta it should be ok.

A little disappointed that Richard isn't Liam O'Brien, but that's about my only complaint.

what if namco forgets to send copies out
Would imagine amazon is already getting them otherwise, they probably wouldn't do release day shipping.

Aeana

Pascal sounds like Kate Higgins. I approve! And Hubert is totally Steve Staley, aka Jiro from Blue Dragon and Fayt from SO3.

Paracelsus

VGP have shipped already? The only time I don't use them and go with planetaxel (because people suggested it would get to the uk quicker with them) and they ship early lol. Just my luck.

They did but I went with tronixweb because they courier is so much cheaper and the game will be here waaaaay earlier than what it would with the standard vgp shipping method.

Pascal sounds like Kate Higgins. I approve! And Hubert is totally Steve Staley, aka Jiro from Blue Dragon and Fayt from SO3.

I was listening to ToGF japanese voices on youtube and man, uguu is strong with this one. I thought it was just english VAs overacting which is rare, they usually underact.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm probably the least picky person when it comes to voices unless its an over the top lolli type character.

Pascal videos have been posted.

That started off well and suddenly took a nosedive. Oh Pascal, no one other than Kana Ueda can do you justice ;_;

Regardless though, I'm mega hype to replay this in 2 or so weeks after I replay and plat Vesperia. How many of you are planning on starting on Hard and switching to Evil when it becomes available? Having done it myself I'll take the time to warn you: prepare for much life bottle use in random battles leading to NO MONEY EVER and lots of rage at quite a few bosses.

Not at all hearing what's wrong with Pascal.
Maybe it's just me being way too picky since she's basically my favourite character ever, but it just sounds off. At the very least it's not ear-bleedingly awful, but I'm not a fan, but I guess I'll wait until more English playthrough videos pop up so I can check more of her lines and make a fair judgement.

Thoraxes

I'm surprised.

I'm usually one of those people who hate English VAs in games, but this seems to be pretty decently done and not completely horrible like almost all of the cast of P4's (except for Kanji) was.

Yazuka

what if namco forgets to send copies out
keanu-reeves.png

My god man! Don't jinx it!
I just wish PlanetAxel would ship the game already, probably my last time preordering something from them. I know VGP is just about always faster when it comes to shipping out, but of course I had to try something new. >.<
Hope I still will get the game next week..

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Pascal sounds familiar... Welch?

Aeana

Pascal sounds familiar... Welch?

No, Welch is actually voiced by Laura Bailey, who is Cheria. Pascal is almost assuredly Kate Higgins, who did Cloche in Ar Tonelico 2, Tails in Sonic games, Arietta in Tales of the Abyss, Sakura in Naruto, etc.

Reveirg

Wow, the battle loading time is insanely fast, every RPG should do it like this!

That was one of the things I really liked about Arc Rise Fantasia, how everything from loading screens to saving the game, to accessing menus was all super-fast.

Still not too excited about ToGf because of the alleged poor story and poor music, two of the most important elements in an RPG IMO. But I'm still looking forward to the gameplay. Can't wait for tuesday no matter what!

Top Bottom