• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I see. So who's voicing Hubert and Richard then?

I will say that Sophie's voice is spot on, and that Laura Bailey's got Cheria down pretty well from those videos.

I'm surprised.

I'm usually one of those people who hate English VAs in games, but this seems to be pretty decently done and not completely horrible like almost all of the cast of P4's (except for Kanji) was.

Never before have I seen someone with an opinion that's this opposite of mine, since I consider P4 to be pretty much the best dub I've heard while most other dubs are average or just pish.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I will say that Sophie's voice is spot on, and that Laura Bailey's got Cheria down pretty well from those videos.

Never before have I seen someone with an opinion that's this opposite of mine, since I consider P4 to be pretty much the best dub I've heard while most other dubs are average or just pish.

Best dub for console JRPGs I've seen this generation of Vesperia. They pretty much nailed that cast. Worst I've seen is ARF.

Bladenic

Best dub for console JRPGs I've seen this generation of Vesperia. They pretty much nailed that cast. Worst I've seen is ARF.

Preach brother. Vesperia was fantastic. Not a sore spot to be seen, least not among the main cast and most major supporting players. Not to mention it was my first exposure to Troy Baker. Though I do like FFXIII as well.

And while I'm sure to get hazed for this, P4 was pretty great save for Chie (she was merely okay at best, really stilted at worst) and at times, Yukiko.

kayos90

I'm going with Steve Staley for Hubert (Jiro from Blue Dragon, Fayt from SO3) and people are saying David Vincent for Richard, although I'm not too familiar with his work.

Wait? David Vincent? OMG!!!!! Haku-men and Jin Kisaragi. This game just got win.

Aeana

Preach brother. Vesperia was fantastic. Not a sore spot to be seen, least not among the main cast and most major supporting players. Not to mention it was my first exposure to Troy Baker. Though I do like FFXIII as well.

And while I'm sure to get hazed for this, P4 was pretty great save for Chie (she was merely okay at best, really stilted at worst) and at times, Yukiko.

I don't know why, P4's dub is fantastic. Atlus USA has consistently put out incredible dubs, particularly in DDS2 (one of the best) and Trauma Team.

Still not too excited about ToGf because of the alleged poor story and poor music, two of the most important elements in an RPG IMO. But I'm still looking forward to the gameplay. Can't wait for tuesday no matter what!

I wouldn't say that the story's "poor", just that people had high expectations after what Vesperia did. It's a nice story overall with a few kinda cringeworthy parts, but nothing exceptionally bad. And the main area the music suffers in is the regular battle themes, of which the only one I found really great was the final one of the main story. There's some great boss and town themes to make up for that though!

Here I reveal that I think Vesperia's dub is awful and doesn't do the characters justice whatsoever.

Loving all the English voices, obviously I wish we had a good capture cause it distorts the audio a little but everyone sounds how I imagined they would.

kewlmyc

I'm surprised.

I'm usually one of those people who hate English VAs in games, but this seems to be pretty decently done and not completely horrible like almost all of the cast of P4's (except for Kanji) was.

You didn't like the P4 cast? I liked Rise more than her Japanese counterpart, same for Kanji, Teddie, Igor, and Adachi. Yosuke and Yukiko are equal to their Japanese counterparts. Chie is meh, I agree on that part. The only one that I actively prefer the Japanese voice to is Naoto because it's obvious from the start that Naoto's
a girl in the dub just because of her voice.

Bladenic

I don't know why, P4's dub is fantastic. Atlus USA has consistently put out incredible dubs, particularly in DDS2 (one of the best) and Trauma Team.

I meant for hating on Chie lol. I think she was definitely the weakest link. Yukiko was better but still had weak spots.

scy

I meant for hating on Chie lol. I think she was definitely the weakest link. Yukiko was better but still had weak spots.

Chie grew on me. I think. That or I started skipping her dialogue. I honestly can't remember and she's my least favorite part of Persona 4 :x

Thoraxes

Yeah and that's what a lot of people tell me too. Different strokes for different folks though I suppose. P4 for me was like the dark spot on their record for me, and it was a game that I just immensely enjoyed playing in Japanese waaaay more. They just didn't feel like the characters they were playing.

Also, with the Vesperia love in here: I totally agree. I liked that dub, and it helped that Troy Baker was Yuri.

You didn't like the P4 cast? I liked Rise more than her Japanese counterpart, same for Kanji, Teddie, Igor, and Adachi. Yosuke and Yukiko are equal to their Japanese counterparts. Chie is meh, I agree on that part. The only one that I actively prefer the Japanese voice to is Naoto because it's obvious from the start that Naoto's
a girl in the dub just because of her voice.
I immensely prefer Rie Kugimiya, but i've been a fan of her VA-work for a while, so I guess there's no big surprise why I liked her Rise more. The other ones, I can see how people would think that, not that I agree, but I totally understand where you're coming from.

Chie grew on me. I think. That or I started skipping her dialogue. I honestly can't remember and she's my least favorite part of Persona 4 :x

Good sir I highly disagree with your opinion. Please free up at least a two hour time slot so we can discuss this over some tea and some nice food.

Hobbun

Any way to post the screens here? Or at least some of them if there are a lot.

I'm at work and the website is blocked.

:(

kayos90

Usually Schala does it but.... clearly not on. So... unless someone else wants to do it, rofl.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

Hot linking them sure. I don't really want to see anything before I actually play the game. I saw enough when it was first announced for PS3 in Japan.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
The dub sounds pretty good. Gonna take me a while to get used to Asbel and Pascal though. Love that Steve Staley is Hubert. One of my favorite english VA's on my favorite character to use in the game.

Thoraxes

Screens from Facebook uploaded today (if there's spoilers or something, just tell me to fix it. I've never played Graces before):

431285_38523289150625lby76.jpg
426130_385232668172940kl3x.jpg

425300_38523277150627elzn6.jpg
424076_38523280817293edx2t.jpg

422021_38523283817293ymbz5.jpg
423205_38523287150626btzmr.jpg

422805_38523270483961fubz6.jpg
422044_385232858172920abcm.jpg

64673_38523274817293955y0w.jpg

Am I the only one who says "Marik" when they read "Malik"? I blame yugioh...

Even worse since that's how they pronounce it in the Japanese version. But my brain ended up being programmed to somehow always read it as 教官 halfway through the game since that's pretty much what everyone calls him.

I cant wait to hear the victory screen banter between the characters, that has always been a nice touch in the tales games.

I personally found that Graces' banter varied from great to hysterical, so look forward to some good stuff.

Astra

I personally found that Graces' banter varied from great to hysterical, so look forward to some good stuff.

I'm glad to hear this. I love good victory banter, so hopefully my opinion falls in line with your own.

I'll probably put a preorder in for this today, even though it's out Tuesday. Just want to make certain I get a copy.

Reveirg

I wouldn't say that the story's "poor", just that people had high expectations after what Vesperia did. It's a nice story overall with a few kinda cringeworthy parts, but nothing exceptionally bad. And the main area the music suffers in is the regular battle themes, of which the only one I found really great was the final one of the main story. There's some great boss and town themes to make up for that though!

Thing is, I didn't really like Vesperia's story either. It wasn't entirely bad but the useless technobabble was really getting on my nerves in the last part of the game (and that's coming from a FFXIII fan.)

I think what hindered my enjoyment of the story was the "make two steps -> cutscene -> get control of the character again for 1 screen -> cutscene" approach that made it hard to get immersed in either the cutscene or the gameplay.

But then again the gameplay systems, characters, and music were so great in Vesperia that I still enjoyed the game very much. Some of the town themes were really beautiful too. I hope Graces can deliver in those areas.

I'm getting more and more excited for this game. I'm all in this time around. My grades may take a nosedive towards the end of the semester, but I'm ok with that. And if this sells well enough, maybe.... just maybe, we can get Tales of Xillia over here. I will cry tears with so much passion and joy if thats the case

Jiraiza

I'm getting more and more excited for this game. I'm all in this time around. My grades may take a nosedive towards the end of the semester, but I'm ok with that. And if this sells well enough, maybe.... just maybe, we can get Tales of Xillia over here. I will cry tears with so much passion and joy if thats the case

I don't know about that, what with Namco's tendency to go DC's on all their games these days. We just might end up having to wait until a DC is out and then we see localization! /bitter

Anyway, four more days! And I wish more JRPGs had a childhood arc for a couple of hours. Time skips always make me feel giddy.

Yuterald

Picking this up with Dead Souls on Tuesday. I hope this game surprises me a bit. I feel like I know what to expect. I know the battle system is going to be cool, but I hope the characters don't become too annoying or anything like that. I hope the story has some nice twists to it...lol who am I kidding. I'm sure this game will end with some elemental quest just like every other Tales games. Still, looking forward to play this. =)

Seda

Is everything voiced in this game ?

If it's like Vesperia and Dawn of the New World....

All Major (main-plot) cutscenes are voiced.
All skits are voiced. (They confirmed this is one of the first gameplay vids shown.)
Major sidequests will be voiced.

Minor sidequests may not be voiced.
Random town NPCs are not voiced.

Is everything voiced in this game ?
The majority of it is. All of the main plot scenes and the like are voiced as far as I remember, and there's even a bunch of voiced sub-events and sidequests.

But then again the gameplay systems, characters, and music were so great in Vesperia that I still enjoyed the game very much. Some of the town themes were really beautiful too. I hope Graces can deliver in those areas.

Well in terms of gameplay it's sure not to disappoint. The battle system is just way too addictive, sidestepping everywhere and dodging enemies while reaping CC bonuses to unleash a bunch of attacks makes for a lot of fun. The characters aren't as well written as they are in Vesperia, but they're still a fun and likeable bunch.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I was just kidding. There's nothing wrong with it at all. In fact she does a good job. This is the only instance where I prefer the JP over the ENG.
Same. English Pascal does a good job, I prefer JP Pascal over English Pascal.

This. I love Atlus's dubs.

When I was pre-med, a lot of the students used to play the Trauma games for--and I don't know why--surgery practice (though there are machines that do surgery now and they're controlled by the the doctors, so I guess it works...). They really "loved how the actors did the voices", so win-win.

Usually Schala does it but.... clearly not on. So... unless someone else wants to do it, rofl.
I was in the lab aaaaaaaaaalllllllllll daaaaaaaayyyyy. Sorry. :(

Say, what're the odds of them putting up a trailer on launch day so that I have to redo the co-op trailer and code to fit the launch trailer in? Oh, and you forgot to embed the link in the co-op trailer. Sent you a PM with the code in it.

If it's like Vesperia and Dawn of the New World....

All Major (main-plot) cutscenes are voiced.
All skits are voiced. (They confirmed this is one of the first gameplay vids shown.)
Major sidequests will be voiced.

Minor sidequests may not be voiced.
Random town NPCs are not voiced.

Awesome to know. I tend to not stare at the screen sometimes anyways!

Solune

I shouldn't have listened to the JP Pascal voice.

Oh well. I suppose it's fine
Dat Rachel Alucard.
I immensely prefer Rie Kugimiya, but i've been a fan of her VA-work for a while, so I guess there's no big surprise why I liked her Rise more. The other ones, I can see how people would think that, not that I agree, but I totally understand where you're coming from.

Rise Kugimiya. The role was destined.

Top Bottom