• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

PKrockin

Well, my vacation ended today, and Graces F comes out tomorrow.

See you guys in three weeks ;_;

Not at all, LOL. Getting Started, Controls, Map, Battle, Playing, Warranty. The actual manual part of it is like...6 pages. Then it switches to French. :p

Hah, that's about what I expected after how they cheaped out on Abyss's manual. Good thing I never read them anymore.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
English Ending is up on youtube. Just so you know. the user is tales0f.

EDIT: Oh my gosh,
the voice acting just ruined the ending. wtf.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That was fast.

...then again, the main game is pretty short if you sail through quick.

It, uh, sounds different. I think the voices are gonna take some getting used to since we've been exposed to the JP voices for so long, eh, kayos?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
That was fast.

...then again, the main game is pretty short if you sail through quick.

It, uh, sounds different. I think the voices are gonna take some getting used to since we've been exposed to the JP voices for so long, eh, kayos?

Well, I'm fine with how the main cast sounds but damn... you want to see the video? I think it'll make much more sense. I have a problem with how L speaks. Ugh...

DO NOT CLICK THIS LINK! IT IS THE ENDING:

I am so on the edge about buying this game. I have a coupon for a free game and it's either that or Dragon Dogma(might quit current job soon, don't know how finance will be in May). My backlog is big but I am scared that Tales will become rare since I have a feeling that it is a limited print. I have not played a Tales in forever.

I know my wife likes to watch me play games and she seems excited by the fact that she can control characters during fights. How is the game, is there a lot of grinding?(Grinding makes me happy). It is pretty straight forward or is there some other things to do on the side? Are the environements pretty?

I did dig through the topic for some information but I thought I could ask here, maybe get some answers that will help my final decision.

Thanks!

Dragon's Dogma will be everywhere and probably be a sub-$20 game in a couple months, Graces F... not so much. Support this title, IMO. There are sidequests in this game.

Jubern

Not at all, LOL. Getting Started, Controls, Map, Battle, Playing, Warranty. The actual manual part of it is like...6 pages. Then it switches to French. :p

Do you guys remember how Vesperia manual was like in the US? We got a 60-pages full color manual in Europe, so I was wondering if (for some crazy reason) we got a better treatment than yours.

Eusis

Do you guys remember how Vesperia manual was like in the US? We got a 60-pages full color manual in Europe, so I was wondering if (for some crazy reason) we got a better treatment than yours.
Vesperia was 60 pages, full color, and bilingual. It was kind of comforting at the time that despite being bilingual it wasn't (seriously) compromised, but I guess they gave up on that idea.

vall03

I cant believe time flies so quickly and game is releasing tomorrow. Kinda hoping that the Asian version will have dual-audio...

matmanx1

ENTHUSIASM! That's what I feel right now. The dawn of the release of an actual flagship Tales title in America is surely cause for such. Of course if I actually had the game in my hand I'd be feeling even more enthusiastic but that's coming in short order.

I spent nearly 100 hours on Vesperia, over 100 on Star Ocean 4 (don't judge me), over 80 on Final Fantasy XIII and over 100 on Dark Souls. When I find an RPG that I really like I tend to stick with it a while and try and do most everything and that takes me a month or two. And from playing the Japanese demo of ToG f repeatedly over the last year or so I can tell you that I am really going to like this one and will be playing it for the next couple of months. And I can't wait!

RPGCrazied

Of course john.tv is going to get it early. He worked on the game, lol. I'm surprised he didn't get it sooner. I'm getting mine tomorrow at 10:00AM!

Eusis

Mine's marked as shipping soon now, and I got charged.
Ah, good to know, guess mine's just taking awhile. I didn't think it was likely they'd can those orders, not with their history of offers and the fact $40 isn't that kind of insane discount, but you can't be sure until it's charged, shipped, and in your hands.

pahamrick

Pre-ordered mine at Gamestop.com so I'm guessing they won't bother shipping it until tomorrow. I was weak, wanted those DLC costumes.

zulux21

No shipment here, $40 pre-order. Anyone who had their copy ship got it for that much?

I haven't, but I have also never gotten a shipping confirmation on a release date game from amazon before 8PM CST... amazon always likes to make me worry it's not coming but then gets it to me anyways lol

Bladenic

Just got the email from Newegg saying my order should be shipped within 24-48 hours. Can't wait!

Mine's already shipped! :D

FFXIII-2 got here by Wednesday, so I'm praying I come back from my exam Wednesday and my game is already here or soon to arrive! Can't wait, excitement at 120%

frequency

EBgames.ca shipped my copy (and Yakuza: Dead Souls) just now.
I'm... I'm really surprised. No one in Canada has ever shipped me anything before release date.

TALES OF GRACES F PS3 Quantity Shipped: 1
PROMO:TALES OF GRACES F PS3 Quantity Shipped: 1

It says my promo shipped. So I guess I'll get the costume and XMB theme code in the package? Weird.

Yakuza doesn't say promo shipped though. :(

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That is true. Anyone did the Platinum on the JP version? It is a fun one?
I think it's more fun than Xillia's platinum (which is grindy to the extreme, yet much easier than either Graces' and Vesperia's), and way better than Vesperia's requirements for 1000G/Plat (I never got the plat for Vesperia PS3). Heck, I was trying to do it a second time on my North American account. I still am. >.>

Even if I think it's easier than Vesperia's plat, it can be rather grindy (it can feel even moreso on a single playthrough, which I did it on). Two playthroughs are recommended so you don't tear your hair out trying to do everything right the first time, lol. Plus you can pick 10x damage during NG+, so playthroughs might go faster and bosses'll be easier.

There are 9 missable trophies, most of which are the "Beat _____ in one minute!" trophies (which can easily be gotten on Easy difficulty; I did it that way, got the trophy, and reset upon defeating the boss to do it at a difficulty I deemed suitable), and the Gentleman Defeated! trophy (do all Inn Requests (sidequests you get when you talk to innkeepers in towns); if you miss out on one of the subevents to get items required for some Inn Requests, you'll miss out on the trophy... the handkerchief subevent in Lhant, specifically--if you do the final dungeon before doing the subevent, then you won't be able to get the request item, and will be locked out of the trophy on that particular playthrough). I'd recommend not selling a ton of your items if they're raw synthesizing materials or if the weapons have natures since you might need them for inn requests or accessing floors of the EX dungeon.

Some may find the "get 20/get 50/get 100" titles grindy, but I got most of those trophies via natural levelling up, doing inn requests/subevents, and arte usage/manual character use, so it isn't really hard to do. Most characters have
titles to their disposal. I imagine that if Namco brings over costumes, then people might find these trophies a tad easier to get (costumes have titles attached).

The "Clear the game on X difficulty" starting from Moderate Difficulty (so there are four trophies associated with this: Clear on Moderate, Clear on Hard, Clear on Evil, Clear on Chaos) simply require you to finish off the final boss on those difficulties and that's it. You don't need to stick with the difficulties the entire main game to get these trophies. They aren't stackable, which means you have to beat the final boss four times for the difficulty-related trophies.

There are the general chapter clear trophies, including one for the Future Arc. Not missable.

There are a few trophies for beating optional bosses, like the boss of the EX dungeon, the cameo battle, etc. Four trophies in all, doesn't matter what difficulty you're playing on to beat the bosses so you can go all Easy Mode and finish them off easy. A few of these trophies require you to do some extra leg work and extra boss fighting, though. These are spoilers so I won't go into detail.

The 9999 Points in the Eleth Mixer trophy and the Gentleman Defeated trophy are probably my least-favourite in the game because of how grindy or how difficult they were. I wrote about them here. I imagine that I won't have as much difficulty with Gentleman Defeated now, but back then, I didn't really have much of a clue as to what to do for it. Eleth Mixer doesn't seem too bad now that I have a better idea as to how to keep the Mixer in use and throw in items that deplete its energy faster, but it still requires a bit of grinding.

zroid

Banned
Can anyone confirm whether the stores received their shipments already, or if they are arriving tomorrow?

Ok, well, if everyone's already getting their games shipped to them by retailers, I guess it's safe to assume the stores will have copies by now as well.

I'm good to go tomorrow morning!

Just got our shipment of Yakuza and Tales. I was already planning on bringing home Yakuza tonight, but all this lovely talk of Tales has me excited.

Maybe I'll end up grabbing both...

The wife is going to kill me!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Does Kouli have a subevent guide? His guide for Vesperia was like a gift from Heaven.
Kouli's Graces guide is awesome, and you'll get everything you need in order to get the plat since it includes all the subevents and doesn't spoil a single thing. I definitely recommend it. It was taken down (and I guess it's because Kouli wants to put the English names in for everything as opposed to just keeping the Japanese stuff in there), but you can still find the cached version if you google it ("Tales of Graces Flow Chart").

Edit: LOL, some of you are lucky you'll be able to play it tomorrow. I won't be able to until the weekend (and even then I might be busy) despite picking it up tomorrow.

Hobbun

Ok, well, if everyone's already getting their games shipped to them by retailers, I guess it's safe to assume the stores will have copies by now as well.

I'm good to go tomorrow morning!

Yes, called my local GS and he said the game is already at the store, they just can’t sell it until tomorrow.

Eusis

Sorta weird how even something like this is getting street dated these days. Not sure if that's actually BETTER or not, but I remember pretty much every niche game (and a decent number that weren't) would reliably have that Tuesday date as actually being the ship date, and you'd see it in in stores Wednesday at the earliest, and usually only GameStop. Now, it seems you have to be a niche PSP title to not get that.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Enthusiasm for tomorrow, I guess I'll be there when gamestop opens to pick mine up. :)
Just curious: Does this one have an install? I know vesperia did...

Ah man, I just realized I can finally play a Tales game in multiplayer.

Over the last few years, while Namco wasn't releasing Tales games, I got a few friends into the series, some of whom are getting the game Day 1. After we beat the game, we can play together. :)

Actually, I wish Tales games had a sort of Boss Rush mode. It would make for some quick fun, not just in multiplayer, but if I'm bored and just want some quick Tales action.

Oh, a question. How many save slots are in the game? I know in Tales of Symphonia, the number of slots was 127 (the max number of files on a Gamecube memory card) and I ended up using about 88 of them.

Zafir

My $40 order on Amazon has changed to shipping soon. Still says 14th as the shipping date though. Not that it matters, since it's being shipped to Europe it'll take a good 1 or 2 weeks anyway.

Top Bottom