• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

scy

Has anyone who got the $40 price had their order enter "shipping soon" yet?

Mine hasn't changed yet but my release-date delivery shipments tend to be sent out the day before. If it doesn't update tomorrow, I'll be worried then.

I preordered about a month ago and it had my estimated delivery as this coming Friday. When I ordered there was no option for release-day. I just went and checked if I could change the delivery speed and now release-day is an option so I switched to that and now it says I'll get it on the 13th.

So about that GameStop DLC. Since I'm playing on a borrowed PS3, I can deauthorize my PSN account and download the DLC later down the line, should I get my own system again, right? I mean, it should act as any PSN purchase would, no?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
So about that GameStop DLC. Since I'm playing on a borrowed PS3, I can deauthorize my PSN account and download the DLC later down the line, should I get my own system again, right? I mean, it should act as any PSN purchase would, no?

I believe it does act like a purchase.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well... based on the questions asked so far, it'll be interesting to see how people respond to their first Team Destiny game, that's for sure.

It'll be my first Tales game and I know I'll love it. I don't have the same problems other people do in terms of how Japanese RPGs set up their characters and stories.

I'm just excited to play one of the few jRPGs released on home consoles. It's been too dry for me.

Zabuza

Banned
I think there's going to be a fair bit of negativity, based on what I know about how people respond to Japanese RPGs with certain kinds of characters.
I'm easy to please when it comes to that kind of thing, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I think there's going to be a fair bit of negativity, based on what I know about how people respond to Japanese RPGs with certain kinds of characters.
This.

From my perspective, it seems like a lot of people place lots of importance on narrative, quests, and characters than systems employed, so it'll be quite interesting to see how people respond to the game. In some cases, I think comparisons might be drawn to Vesperia or Symphonia in terms of narrative/certain types of quests, and some people might be let down... or some people may dislike this game's way of doing combat. Or they might not be drawn to it due to artstyle or the overall stylization of the game's look.

We'll see, I guess.

I tend to look for gameplay and music in jRPGs first and foremost. That's why Eternal Sonata is up there with my favorite games this gen even though the story/characters are pretty much balls.

This seems to have great gameplay from what I've seen so I'm sure I'll love it.

Well... based on the questions asked so far, it'll be interesting to see how people respond to their first Team Destiny game, that's for sure.
This will be my fourth! Fifth, if you count buying/playing Destiny R twice (too bad DLC didn't exist back then, grumble grumble).

Sixth, if you count Eternia. Which, while before the technical team split, really felt like an early version of Team Destiny's future games.

As sad as it will make me, I agree with this 100%.

Unfortunately, I believe western JRPG fans tend to think of gameplay as last in the list of importance.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This will be my fourth! Fifth, if you count buying/playing Destiny R twice (too bad DLC didn't exist back then, grumble grumble).

Sixth, if you count Eternia. Which, while before the technical team split, really felt like an early version of Team Destiny's future games.
I only have one copy of Destiny R (the DX version), but it's an awesome game. I should really replay it.

But this is Namco. If DLC existed back then, they still would've gone ahead and made you buy a disc-based DX... like they might do with Xillia!

Unfortunately, I believe western JRPG fans tend to think of gameplay as last in the list of importance.
Yeah, that sort of thing strikes me as really interesting.

I tend to look for gameplay and music in jRPGs first and foremost. That's why Eternal Sonata is up there with my favorite games this gen even though the story/characters are pretty much balls.

This seems to have great gameplay from what I've seen so I'm sure I'll love it.
That's what I generally look for first too.

As for the music, well, let's just say I didn't put it on my personal 2009 Soundtracks of the Year list. >.> Er, the music isn't bad; it works most of the time. It's just that some of the music is pretty sub-par, like that one 3-note dungeon theme we keep linking to.

frequency

I admit, that's me. Although that extends to almost all genres.

But I like Tales characters and stories.
And no, I don't particularly like anime. I don't think I dislike it. I just don't watch it because I'm poor.

I like gameplay and speed in the battles of a JRPG. That's why I'm not really in to most JRPGs, but I like Tales, Pokémon, and Paper Mario for the gameplay and I liked what I played of Dragon Quest 3 DS for the speed.

If any part of the battle system feels slow, unexciting, or non-energetic, I'll probably dislike the game.

Another important thing to me is the world. I love a good world with many towns, and I dislike games with a hub world set-up.

Story doesn't matter. As a result, Tales is probably my perfect JRPG.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Ah... well, it is Sakuraba. He does have hit or miss albums.
A lot of the themes on Tales soundtracks that I'm not very attached to don't seem to come from Sakuraba, but from Tamura/Aoyama/whatever he wants to call himself these days.

As such, the album seems to feature a lot of repetition and lack of development, like in that awful dungeon theme. Even the credits theme is a little disappointing since it seemed so by-the-numbers with ill-fitting percussion. The battle themes, at least the majority of them, are fine. I have little problems with Tales battle themes in general, but I think I'm in the minority for that.

Xillia was a nice solo-Sakuraba venture with a very mature sound, as I've noted somewhere in this post (I think it's the last quote box). I really liked it in comparison to Graces' soundtrack, and it felt like a return to form.

I'd say story and gameplay are top 2 for any game, a game with fantastic gameplay but a blah story can carry me through, same with a fantastic story but blah gameplay.

And honestly based upon footage I've seen and talking to people who've played it I know I'm going to love this game. The Tales games are all fantastic and it's all I want.

scy

Hm ... I like there to be a story. That's about it. I'm pretty easily amused, really.

I care more for asking about the story rather than gameplay, though; just feel like I can grasp how other's felt about the story far easier than I can grasp the combat system that way. If I'm that curious about the gameplay mechanics, I can find a video or something but I tend to prefer just putting in the time myself to figure that one out.

Dresden

For a game like this the characters matter much more than a story.

Not expecting much of either, though, going in hearing that it's got great gameplay.

frequency

I will work through a game with bad gameplay but enough of story/setting/characters to make me care about what happens next to the cast I've come to care for.
But if a game has bad or no story/setting/characters, it needs to have absolutely amazing gameplay for me to get through it. And to be honest, if a game rests solely on its gameplay, I'll usually get bored before I finish.

But I guess I'm easily pleased with stories/characters. I loved FFXIII for that... so...

Jeels

So only two days to release and really no promotions at all? I think I've seen web ads maybe.

I mean there aren't even reviews. This is really low key EVEN for a Tales release.

So only two days to release and really no promotions at all? I think I've seen web ads maybe.

I mean there aren't even reviews. This is really low key EVEN for a Tales release.

I'd be surprised if any get a review copy. Reviewers will likely have to go get it themselves.

Namco has really dropped the ball here.

frequency

The saddest part for me is that this probably won't sell all that well. And this will serve as proof to Namco that they were right all along in not bringing so many Tales games over - and it might mean they won't bring Xillia. It's self fulfilling or whatever.

kayos90

WRPG combat systems are usually shallow but just have a lot of diversity. JRPG combat systems usually have complex indepth systems. These are just instances, not definites. Don't quote me.

I'm definitely okay with a smaller focus on narrative if the gameplay is good enough to carry the game.

If I like this enough, (which I probably will) I'll probably look into playing Rebirth or Destiny Remake somewhere down the line.

WRPG combat systems are usually shallow but just have a lot of diversity. JRPG combat systems usually have complex indepth systems. These are just instances, not definites. Don't quote me.

I'll quote you because I definitely agree. I don't play WRPGs for their combat, lol.

Atmosphere, plot, characters > Story.

WRPGs were often bound by tabletop lineage, can be mechanics-based, but have become almost severed from this lately with the rush away from abstract combat. JRPGs experiment wildly but are rarely iterative. Do quote me.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Yeah I agree with this, and I'm more of a WRPG fanboy then a JRPG fanboy. Also I just did!

kayos90

I played, and the review is being edited for, Mass Effect 3. I thoroughly enjoyed the game but the ending was extremely disappointing. I'm glad the saltiness is going to be gone from Graces. The potential for ME3 was sooooooooooooooo good. Then the ending was ruined for me. It has XIII-2 ending syndrome. Could've ended at a certain scene, but they didn't. It's like that kid that's funny but doesn't shut up and ruins the stupid joke.

Top Bottom