• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

jorgeton

Here are some quick impressions (an hour and a half in):

Really like the art style and graphics. Everything is clean and colorful. It's just a pleasant game to look at.

Soundtrack is generic, but unobtrusive. The voice acting is really great so far. And the characters are little chatterboxes, there's always some kind of interaction, Whether it be skits or cut scenes. The characters are really well done so far, and I quite enjoy the dynamic between the four kids.

Battle system is fun and there is a lot of depth there. Overall the game is a treat so far. Everything is very refined and user friendly without being too hand holdy. Really glad this made it to the u.s.!

Bladenic

No way am I paying for a damn guide. Sorry I'm not sorry.

Schala, are any of the inn requests missable or very small timeframes? I know you mentioned some sub-event being missable. Is Graces as bad as Vesperia or worse, Abyss, on this front?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Schala, are any of the inn requests missable or very small timeframes? I know you mentioned some sub-event being missable. Is Graces as bad as Vesperia or worse, Abyss, on this front?

You don't have to buy the guide. No one is forcing you to. However, I am very disappointed at the accusations behind why people are not buying the guide. It's one thing to say "It's expensive so I'm not going to buy it." It's another to say "I'm not buying it because it's a cop-out to earn more money."

Some are missable.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

I did most of the Inn Requests at the end of the game or when I had the materials for them during the main game, and some of them don't open up towards the end. Just the subevents might be missable, but the only one you should do is the handkerchief event in Lhant prior to entering the final dungeon. A lot of the timed stuff are events that may give you titles (which help out a lot with the Get 20/50/100 Titles trophies).

Don't feel pressured to complete everything on a first playthrough, though. That's part of why Gentleman Defeated! was pretty bad for me. Just remember that as long as you got an item at some point, you can just make the Eleth Mixer create one, or go through the Arena to fight through some enemies to see if you can get a certain drop you need to synthesize something for an inn request.

Graces didn't feel as bad as Vesperia and Abyss at all with regards to timed events. If you feel like you're missing anything, you can use the Google Doc we linked in the OP or these two links for the subevents when you get the chapters (I've glanced through this particular thread and some stuff might be spoiled; I'll just spoiler tag them to make people double-check):
(Subevents from Chapter 4 onwards)
(Subevents from Chapter 8 onwards)

Mine's still "soon" so it'll take it's sweet time bouncing from distribution center to distribution center in the midsouth and midatlantic over the course of the next week.

Bladenic

You don't have to buy the guide. No one is forcing you to. However, I am very disappointed at the accusations behind why people are not buying the guide. It's one thing to say "It's expensive so I'm not going to buy it." It's another to say "I'm not buying it because it's a cop-out to earn more money."

Some are missable.

Hopefully not as bad as Abyss was. Vesperia too.

Edit: Thanks Schala, those should help!

When people pay for a guide, they expect something like a Bradygames complete guide, with the requisite lists and carefully organized details. Or something like Futurepress with its expert level advice and strategies. If you don't have either and you're only doing a bare-bones walkthrough of an easy JRPG (or an easy difficulty setting), there's not a big incentive to buy.

My guides are useful because they detail strategies that can get through difficult sections of a game.

Can I not feel both? I think it's too expensive, but I would possibly consider paying for it if it was 5 dollars. Either way I don't like the idea of him charging for what is essentially a bare bones "Get 100% without much in terms of spoilers* guide. If his guide went into an insane amount of detail with tons of detailed pictures and videos then I'd drop 10 dollars easily, but that's not what he did.

kayos90

Can I not feel both? I think it's too expensive, but I would possibly consider paying for it if it was 5 dollars. Either way I don't like the idea of him charging for what is essentially a bare bones "Get 100% without much in terms of spoilers* guide. If his guide went into an insane amount of detail with tons of detailed pictures and videos then I'd drop 10 dollars easily, but that's not what he did.

Yeah, I understand it's expensive. However, I think it's another thing to go straight up attack his character.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Guys, my local Gamestop got 16 copies in.

I don't think it's gonna be so hard to find. Anyone know what their local stores got in?

Guys, my local Gamestop got 16 copies in.

I don't think it's gonna be so hard to find. Anyone know what their local stores got in?
The local gamestop here has 10 copies and only 4 people pre-ordered it. For Tales of the Abyss, 5 people pre-ordered it, and they still had 3 extra copies.

john tv

I love how everyone assumes guides like that just magically materialize out of nowhere. :) You can tell from reading it that it took a -massive- amount of time and effort to make; $10 is nothing considering the amount of convenience it provides players, particularly completionists.

Anyway, don't want to drag this topic on any further, but yes, people who are complaining about Kouli charging for his work should probably quit whining and make their own guides.

Stuart444

I love how everyone assumes guides like that just magically materialize out of nowhere. :) You can tell from reading it that it took a -massive- amount of time and effort to make; $10 is nothing considering the amount of convenience it provides players, particularly completionists.

Anyway, don't want to drag this topic on any further, but yes, people who are complaining about Kouli charging for his work should probably quit whining and make their own guides.

Ok, I want you to compare Koulis guides to Prima or Brady guides. (both of which tend to be not much more expensive). See the difference and if you think $10 is worth it compared to the amount of work the latter two have in their guides then I honestly don't know what I can tell you.

As for free guides, check any Absolute Steve or Split infinity or ALEX guides on gamefaqs and you see some actual quality that is worth $10+

edit: I also know that there is no official guide out for Graces f but not long after the game is out, there will be far better free guides up on gamefaqs. That much is for certain tbh.

hitmon

No offense meant, but am I the only one having a hard time reading the OP? The font or colors are really throwing my eyes off..

MechaX

As much as I think that there are people out there who make really good FAQs that rival or exceed published guides, it doesn't look particularly... good on Kouli's part to suddenly pull a bait and switch mere days before the US release.

Do Tales games usually require the use of a guide? It's my first one, so I really want to know!

Apparently Graces isn't that bad when it comes to missable content. Abyss, on the other hand, was notorious for having asinine and sometimes ludicrous time-constraints on several items, skills, skits, etc, etc.

hitmon

Kouli sounds familiar as far as gamefaqs go. Didn't know he/she started charging for his guides.

Stuart444

Do Tales games usually require the use of a guide? It's my first one, so I really want to know!

Not really, if you need any help, you can always ask on forums or look up a free guide on gfaqs but even then, it isn't really needed unless you're a completionist

Aeana

Did Kouli actually do the work for this guide himself?
He used to just (very poorly) translate other people's work from Japanese guide sites. If he's charging for something like that, it's pretty unethical.

To get through the game, no. To get everything, pretty much. There is alot of sidequest, missables, and secrets in Tales games and I believe this one is no different. Sometimes you have to do things in a strict timeframe and you'll have no idea until its too late. Even with a guide, you might miss some things in a Tales game.

Essentially, if you just want to enjoy the main story, no need. If you want to really delve into the game, I highly recommend guides for the Tales games

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Depends on what sort of player you are. Games like Vesperia and Abyss sometimes had missable quests and you would have never known they existed unless you referred to a guide. To get through the game in general, you didn't need it. If you are a completionist, you might want to refer to one every now and then.

With Graces, you don't really need it unless you want to plat the game in one playthrough. You can transfer certain things (artes, arte usage, titles, etc) using the Grade Shop on a New Game+ and start anew there with certain bonuses to get through the game faster if you choose them in the Grade Shop (ex: 10x damage, XP multipliers, etc).

If you have any questions, you could always ask. Generally, guides aren't really needed outside of subevent triggers or obtaining high level hi-ougis (for this game). But if you just want to enjoy the game, you don't need a guide at all.

Aeana said:
He used to just (very poorly) translate other people's work from Japanese guide sites. If he's charging for something like that, it's pretty unethical.
Really? Wow.

Stuart444

First I've heard of this, if he claimed to be the guide writer when he wasn't then it is unethical even before this. (as I said, first I've heard of this).

edit: Yeah, do you have a link? I'm just very curious about this now, Seems very.... odd that no one has mentioned this whenever Kouli is mentioned until now.

kayos90

If that's the case then yes, that's not even pretty unethical. It's unethical period.

john tv

I wasn't aware of that part; if true, that's...unfortunate. It's still a crazy useful guide though. (I know; I used it the second time I played through TOGf.)

B.K.

The only Tales game I've played that needed a guide is Abyss. That game has a ton of side events that are only available for limited times that you need a guide to know when they're available.

Bladenic

A lot of people do, and they don't charge for their guides either.

Anyway, I planned on using a guide to try and platinuming on one playthrough. However, since I'm playing co-op with my roommate, I think I might just make the first playthrough a regular playthrough through the story otherwise he might get bored. I usually do 2 playthroughs anyway.

rataven

Cool, thanks for the responses. Permanently missable stuff always bums me out (especially quests!) and I am a bit of a completionist, but I don't like to use guides for my first time through a game. So, I think I'll wing it and bug GAF up for pointers or if I end up lost and have a bunch of questions.

Aeana

I wasn't aware of that part; if true, that's...unfortunate. It's still a crazy useful guide though. (I know; I used it the second time I played through TOGf.)

Well, I'm not making any accusations about this guide, since I haven't seen it; it's just something I've noticed with his past work. Japanese guide sites are incredibly thorough. Just take a look at this one for ToGf.

Rpgmonkey

Looks like I won't be getting my copy until 8:00 pm tomorrow.

Guess I won't have much time to really dig into it until later this week then. :/

As for the guide, it's fine if he found this content himself and decided to do a write-up of it all, but if a lot of it's just ripped and translated from the Official Complete Guides or Japanese wikis, then that's a really sleazy move.

Top Bottom