• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

Shouta

Did Kouli actually do the work for this guide himself?
He used to just (very poorly) translate other people's work from Japanese guide sites. If he's charging for something like that, it's pretty unethical.

The bulk of Kouli's guides are from JP guides/wikis as far as i can tell. I've been around GFaqs a long time and I've noticed that about the stuff he puts out. I know it's to some extent but I don't know how much.

Trike

I pre-ordered this the other day at gamestop. Still playing through Abyss, which will be the first Tales of _ game that I have completed. I played through some of Vesperia before I quit it. Will Tales of Graces be filled with events that are easy to miss like Vesperia? I ended up missing out on a few costumes in Vesperia because I forgot to talk to some NPC once before doing something, and I couldn't fix it. So I was done. Abyss doesn't seem to be as bad with that, and I've also gotten into the habit of talking to everyone a few times and sleeping at the inn after events.

Also, nice OP. I pre-ordered the game with little to no information on it, and the battle system seems awesome. Is anyone actually going through this thing co-op with anyone?

Stuart444

Also, nice OP. I pre-ordered the game with little to no information on it, and the battle system seems awesome. Is anyone actually going through this thing co-op with anyone?

I am, girlfriend and me have planned on playing this co-op since it's original announcement last year. Can't wait :D hopefully I get it tomorrow, if not then by Thursday.

scy

As I posted in the topic on GameFAQs, I don't really blame him. I've seen a lot of my work on other games thrown about elsewhere but it's not really something that bothers me. Perhaps if I started to see doing it as a chore then maybe but I do it because I enjoy doing it. That's it.

If it's just reposting other people's work, though ... dang. I'm used to seeing my work elsewhere (and I think me and others who worked on Disgaea 2 stuff were called out for plagiarizing the guide ... that wasn't out when our work was done) but that's kind of ... :/

$1-$2 would've been an impulse buy, $5 for a more thorough version, and $10 just seems a bit much, though. Just my thoughts on the matter.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
The bulk of Kouli's guides are from JP guides/wikis as far as i can tell. I've been around GFaqs a long time and I've noticed that about the stuff he puts out. I know it's to some extent but I don't know how much.

Hm.... interesting. Are you going to get this Shouta?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, I'm a little surprised (if it's just reposting work on wikis/guides in English). I've only referred to the Kouli's Graces and Vesperia guides a few times and didn't really think much of it.

I try not using a FAQ too much on first playthroughs, but Tales games can sometimes be an exception since I want to get as much done as possible on a first playthrough in order to transfer stuff to NG+. Also, I felt pretty burned by Abyss's events and not knowing that some of them even existed so I've tried to refer to subquest guides every now and then for Tales games now.

Trike said:
I pre-ordered this the other day at gamestop. Still playing through Abyss, which will be the first Tales of _ game that I have completed. I played through some of Vesperia before I quit it. Will Tales of Graces be filled with events that are easy to miss like Vesperia?
Refer to this post and this post (even if it's mostly about a trophy).

Shouta

I actually looked at his guide from a cached version of his blog and compared it to the Wiki Aeana linked and it's pretty close in overall content. He changes it a bit of course but it's pretty close overall. It's nowhere near as good as other guides on GFaqs.

For a comparison:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ry-10735246442.html+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

http://www23.atwiki.jp/talesofgracesf/pages/49.html

ラント Lhant
- At SW, Talk To The Soldier. Pick 子ども扱いするな Then タイニーウルフ Then ウリボア Then ビー For 100 Gald
- At The Item Shop, You Can Buy マニュアルの書 Manual Book
- Go NE To Meet With Frederick
- Within The Mansion, You Can Get Enemy Book In The East Room On 2F
- Go Toward SW And You Will Get The Discovery Book. Check The Tree For The Discovery Apple Tree
- Within The Mansion, Check The Painting For The Discovery Painting
- Check The Windmill For The Discovery Fuuhaku The Guardian
- Speak Around Then You May Exit Out At SW

イベント後、シェリアがNPC加入
街右下の庭に行くとフレデリックと会話後、イベント
西の出口前でリンゴを取るイベント、 「ディスカバリーブック」 入手、同時に ディスカバリー「リンゴの木」 を発見
領主邸正面の絵画を調べると ディスカバリー「絵画」 を発見
街の風車小屋を調べると ディスカバリー「守護風伯」 を発見
橋の上にいるバリーから西ラント街道に旅人がいるという情報を聞く
リンゴとグミの実入手後道具屋近くのかめにんに話しかけるとデュアライズブック入手

【アイテム】
入手アイテム 場所
エネミーブック アスベルの机
ディスカバリーブック イベント
100ガルド 西の出口の兵士のクイズに全問正解「タイニーウルフ」「ウリボア」「ビー」
アップルグミ 民家の犬
うめぼし 民家のおばあさん
ポーク×2 民家の収納

【グルーヴィーチャット】
目安の収集率 2.3%
番号 タイトル 発生場所 備考
3 かわいそうって言葉 橋の上 -
4 いつもの兄さん 領主邸子供部屋 アスベルの机 西ラント道へ行く前から発生
5 家族って大切? 領主邸セーブポイント 西ラント道へ行く前から発生
6 知恵の実 ディスカバリー:リンゴの木 家に帰る前から発生
7 風伯は風の神様の事 ディスカバリー:守護風伯 風車に登らないと発生しない
8 じっとしてました ディスカバリー:絵画 西ラント道へ行く前から発生

For the Japanese impaired, several of the lines are the same.

- Go Toward SW And You Will Get The Discovery Book. Check The Tree For The Discovery Apple Tree

Have the exact same content, the translation is a little different of course but eh, that's minor when it's basically the same thing.

It's the same for a lot of it as well plus a few things here and there he's added. That's assuming the cached version is the same version as his e-guide. I'd hope he spruce it up more if he was trying to sell it for 10 dollars, translating JP wiki content fact aside.

Hm.... interesting. Are you going to get this Shouta?

I am but it's not high on my play priority as I finished the JP version when it was first released.

kayos90

I actually looked at his guide from a cached version of his blog and compared it to the Wiki Aeana linked and it's pretty close in overall content. He changes it a bit of course but it's pretty close overall. It's nowhere near as good as other guides on GFaqs.

For a comparison:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ry-10735246442.html+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Have the exact same content, the translation is a little different of course but eh, that's minor when it's basically the same thing.

It's the same for a lot of it as well plus a few things here and there he's added. That's assuming the cached version is the same version as his e-guide. I'd hope he spruce it up more if he was trying to sell it for 10 dollars, translating JP wiki content fact aside.

I am but it's not high on my play priority as I finished the JP version when it was first released.

So... I think this is very unethical. Something should be done, yes? No?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

For a comparison:

Holy business, some of this is identical. I never looked at the FAQ portion of the wiki guide before, so I didn't notice it at all. It's just reworded in some cases.

Within The Mansion, Check The Painting For The Discovery Painting

Check The Windmill For The Discovery Fuuhaku The Guardian

A lot of it is in the same order. The last bit is a smidge different, but... wow.

kayos90

Holy business, some of this is identical. I never looked at the FAQ portion of the wiki guide before, so I didn't notice it at all. It's just reworded in some cases.

Within The Mansion, Check The Painting For The Discovery Painting

Check The Windmill For The Discovery Fuuhaku The Guardian

A lot of it is in the same order. The last bit is a smidge different, but... wow.

Yeah. I'd hate to be the ass but... I feel like something needs to be done about this then.

That's my problem with 'completionist' or 'plot heavy' guides. Since it's not based on original research, and anyone can write the same facts or lists of completionist data as you, there's not much separating your guide from the next guys. Like how many ways could he re-write his guide so it doesn't look like it's regurgitating the same walkthrough points? But if you write guides for challenging games and devise helpful strategies that aren't as obvious, it will be more unique and valuable to players looking for solutions. That tends to be why I avoid writing guides about or playing easier JRPGs.

As an example, I wrote a guide for Fallout: New Vegas, but it was an efficiency guide, attempting to grab every skill book/unique weapon and complete as many quests as possible with as little backtracking as possible.

Graces F looks like it has some interesting challenges. So did anyone figure out if they nerfed Chaos difficulty like they did in NA Abyss?

Seda

Kouli's always been a bit of a jerk on GameFAQS, but I always liked his Tales guides. I'm not buying this though, they'll be other guides.

scy

That tends to be why I avoid writing guides about or playing easier JRPGs.

I'm too lazy to write a guide :| The only guides I'm actually in are other people compiling my work for me and then the EO maps I made with Zaraf, though mostly completed with his prodding (and I still feel bad for dropping that project for EO3).

I like answering questions people ask and solving mechanics. That's about it :x

Yeah, while I've used his guides on occasion, I have seen that he can be a bit stuck up at times. Totally didn't know about the wiki plagiarism thing though.

Aeana

The reason why I noticed originally was because the poor English in his guides got on my nerves, so I actually started going to Japanese guide sites myself much more often, and noticed some eerie similarities like the one's Shouta's listed above. I do hope the English in the guide he's selling is at least competent.

The voice acting is really great so far. And the characters are little chatterboxes, there's always some kind of interaction, Whether it be skits or cut scenes. The characters are really well done so far, and I quite enjoy the dynamic between the four kids.

Good to hear the the character interaction and skits are good. The massive amount of character development that comes out of all these interactions is my favorite thing about Tales games.

Rpgmonkey

That's my problem with 'completionist' or 'plot heavy' guides. Since it's not based on original research, and anyone can write the same facts or lists of completionist data as you, there's not much separating your guide from the next guys. Like how many ways could he re-write his guide so it doesn't look like it's regurgitating the same walkthrough points? But if you write guides for challenging games and devise helpful strategies that aren't as obvious, it will be more unique and valuable to players looking for solutions. That tends to be why I avoid writing guides about or playing easier JRPGs.

As an example, I wrote a guide for Fallout: New Vegas, but it was an efficiency guide, attempting to grab every skill book/unique weapon and complete as many quests as possible with as little backtracking as possible.

The goal isn't anything particularly fancy here though. It's more to provide a completionist guide for importers who don't know Japanese, can't really use the wikis, and would be totally lost with those complete guides. This kind of guide is niche, especially with Tales, so your guide would be unique by simply existing in the first place.

Usually these are just something someone did for fun as a nice gesture to the community/fanbase, and even if/when the game is localized they're still a really good resource. It gets shady though when you're charging the fanbase just to access an unofficial translation of a guide other people created. The most that I've seen done is a totally optional donation if you're truly that appreciative of the time/effort put in.

Shouta

Graces F looks like it has some interesting challenges. So did anyone figure out if they nerfed Chaos difficulty like they did in NA Abyss?

Writing is all the difference between walkthrough guides especially in games that are plot heavy. There are other ways on top of writing but those are the icing to the writing's cake.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
I've never used his guides since I mostly use the wikis. Anyways, looking forward to picking this up tomorrow and playing through it again. I was going to go back and do everything in the JPN version, but Namco announced that they were bringing this here. So, I just decided to wait for the localized version to do everything.

Writing is all the difference between walkthrough guides especially in games that are plot heavy. There are other ways on top of writing but those are the icing to the writing's cake.

Yeah, I was thinking of Ultimate Steve's FF7 guide that lavishes a lot of detail and can be a supplement to the game as well as a walkthrough.

zulux21

Is anyone actually going through this thing co-op with anyone?
I'll put it this way. I am not allowed to leave the house until I get a package tomorrow. And I am not allowed to make any plans for the evenings aside from playing Tales of Graces F for the next few weeks.

My wife is rather excited for the game... so much so she already penciled in 3 play-throughs of the game on the calendar lol
also yay I finally got my shipping confirmation from amazon, and amazon continued their trend of not giving me a confirmation until after 8pm by sending this one at 9:46pm lol.

Xena

This will be the perfect game for me to drown my sorrows from the ME3 ending... XD

I'm glad the skits are voiced, unlike Abyss.

Ties

Banned
Same Here.

I hope this lives up to my hype. Vesperia is the best RPG I played all gen. If this is better I don't know what ill do.
if you are going to be in the text chat tomorrow I can't wait to see your meltdown.

This game is fantastic.

Shouta

This will be the perfect game for me to drown my sorrows from the ME3 ending... XD

I'm glad the skits are voiced, unlike Abyss.

Nothing will ever drown the sorrow from that.

My copy is coming to my house tomorrow via Amazon. It goes in the drawer until I'm itching for some Tales!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Aeana said:
The reason why I noticed originally was because the poor English in his guides got on my nerves, so I actually started going to Japanese guide sites myself much more often, and noticed some eerie similarities like the one's Shouta's listed above. I do hope the English in the guide he's selling is at least competent.
Admittedly, The Constant Capitalization On Words Which Shouldn't Be Capitalized Is A Bit Of An Eyesore. What a situation. Even if it's written in the style of a flow chart, there should be differences in the prose, order, and composition/style at least if it's an original document. A lot of the points are either summarized or directly translated. I don't think he should be charging for this if it's the same guide he posted on that cache.

Anyway! Moving on... I'm glad people are psyched for this game, and I hope they find something to enjoy at least.

Mr.Fresh said:
Same Here.

I hope this lives up to my hype. Vesperia is the best RPG I played all gen. If this is better I don't know what ill do.
Ahaha. Don't get too hyped. Sometimes hype will be too much and then you'll be let down.

kayos90

I know it's not an official rule but I think it would be best if we stopped posting stuff from our thread over to GameFAQs. While I love seeing fires burn on that forum I feel conflicted when it involves an individual. Please, let's refrain from linking threads between GAF and GFAQs.

Cheska

My $48 NewEgg order has shipped! It should be here tomorrow so I'm hoping I can pry myself away from Mass Effect to play it.

Ties

Banned
Passing the time by finishing up Abyss. I doubt I can go back to this once I start playing Graces. I tend to forget about the games I'm currently playing once I get a new one so my backlog piles up. *shrug*

I'm so tempted to click on that stream but I have to endure the wait a little bit longer! Can't spoil myself now!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Passing the time by finishing up Abyss. I doubt I can go back to this once I start playing Graces. I tend to forget about the games I'm currently playing once I get a new one so my backlog piles up. *shrug*

I'm so tempted to click on that stream but I have to endure the wait a little bit longer! Can't spoil myself now!

I'm kind of the same way. I need to finish ME3, yeah I know, before I pick up my game. But Tales is competing with Yakzua for my affection today. Tempted to do an all nighter.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yea I know *cough*FF13*cough*

Its just that i have missed good traditional style JRPG's so much I get hyped when ever one comes out now.
Well, it's not so much traditional (imo), but it has that touch. I know I got that feeling of contentment when I first played it, though.

Don't click on the stream. Dooooon't. You can hold out until tomorrow. But I know how you feel. I don't think I can hold out until the weekend. I might play a bit late tomorrow night if my discipline fails me.

!

Oh hey, guys. If you go to towns in this game and find a cat, feed it fish. Just do it. >.>

kayos90

Don't click on the stream. Dooooon't. You can hold out until tomorrow. But I know how you feel. I don't think I can hold out until the weekend. I might play a bit late tomorrow night if my discipline fails me.

Gonna tell you right now Schala. if you don't fail yourself, I will make you fail. Rofl jk. If you're busy then you should probably do work.

exhume

So this game has multiplayer...is it local multiplayer? That would probably tip me over into buying this game, I've been hunting for a local multiplayer jRPG for quite a while now!

So this game has multiplayer...is it local multiplayer? That would probably tip me over into buying this game, I've been hunting for a local multiplayer jRPG for quite a while now!

Yeah, I believe there has always been local MP for battles since Tales of Phantasia (or Destiny?)

Anyway, my Newegg tracking says I won't have it until Thursday. Cool, gives me some time to get though my Mass Effect 1 + 2 runs.

Eusis

By the way you can download a free sample of kouli's guide on Amazon to see how it compares with Japanese ones and the one on his site before.

Top Bottom