• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

Varion

So you don't need every title? Just skimming the guides the only thing that I saw that seemed like it would screw you on just doing everything on a New Game + is (small non-story related spoiler)
I saw some people saying that apparently some/all Skits don't appear in a New Game + if you saw them the first time through, and they're not "inherited" so in order to get the Title for viewing every single Skit you'd have to see all of them on a single playthrough which apparently doesn't work since it won't re-pop them the second time around.
Maybe that's not accurate though?
Nope, you have about 30-40 titles at least that you can afford not to get for each character, so they're not *that* bad.

As for the skits, nope. Unless it's a very specific 'some' or it's some weird thing added in the English version. I did a grade shop run a month or so ago (although I only used it to buy movement speed up) and had all the skits I got in my first playthrough show just fine. Just checked it again buying basically everything in the grade shop except the EXP boosts and no problems. There IS an issue like this in Vesperia where if you inherit records you don't get any skits from your first play, but to the best of my few hundred hours knowledge there's no such thing in Graces.

Just finished up ME3 in time yesterday. Is the ending in this 'satisfying'?
Yeah. They're some of my favourite bits of the game, both the regular story ending and then the ending of the PS3 version's extra chapter after it. I didn't find the plot in general anything especially amazing (though it's not bad either) but the ending is definitely satisfying.

Astra

Haha. I know, right? I think it's kind of messed up I couldn't see Abyss 3D in stores anywhere even on release day. It's like they decided not to carry it at all. I had to order it through Best Buy's site because their site listed it not available in stores. You definetly need to get these games as soon as they come out.

EBgames here has 2 copies of Abyss left. Hopefully they're still there by this Friday so my sister can pick it up. I'm surprised to see it still in stock here.

Installing now. I can't redeem my preorder code right now, as I keep getting a message that the connection to the server timed out. Ah well, will try it later.

Mikhal

WP_000097.jpg

Game installed in preparation for the weekend. So tempted to start it now... but must resist or I'd never go to work. :(

Rarutos

I got my copy not too long ago and started it! Having a lot of fun! Still need to comprehend the battle system but I can't wait to play more already. <3

Big B

Health clinic gave me a bag of condoms for no reason and the juxtaposition with Graces is just amazing. Wish I had Instagram to bedazzle it.

tzRjZl.jpg

Astra

Health clinic gave me a bag of condoms for no reason and the juxtaposition with Graces is just amazing. Wish I had Instagram to bedazzle it.

tzRjZl.jpg

Ultra lubricated, too!
Should be a fun night.
Of gaming.

Battle system will take a bit of getting used to. The other Tales games (in English) I could jump right in, no problem. Started on hard here, will tone it down to moderate until I get the hang of it. Love how quickly it loads into battle.

Varion

When can u use the Dlc costumes?
They're in a tab on the far right? of the item menu with a wireless symbol or something. Use them there, that'll get you the titles. Then you equip the titles, learn the 'Costume' skill, then you equip them under... Status or Party or whatever it's called, second option from the right on the top row of the menu after pressing right a few times.

Jeels

Question about difficulty mode trophies:

Game Clear: Moderate
Completed the game on the Moderate difficulty setting.

Game Clear: Hard
Completed the game on the Hard difficulty setting.

Game Clear: Evil
Completed the game on the Evil difficulty setting.

Game Clear: Chaos
Completed the game on the Chaos difficulty setting.

How do these work if you can change the difficulty midway or don't even have certain difficulties until a certain number of battles? Also do they stack?

Aeana

Question about difficulty mode trophies:

Game Clear: Moderate
Completed the game on the Moderate difficulty setting.

Game Clear: Hard
Completed the game on the Hard difficulty setting.

Game Clear: Evil
Completed the game on the Evil difficulty setting.

Game Clear: Chaos
Completed the game on the Chaos difficulty setting.

How do these work if you can change the difficulty midway or don't even have certain difficulties until a certain number of battles? Also do they stack?

It only matters what difficulty you have selected when you beat the final boss.

burgerdog

What's with the picture thing going on? Are we so excited that we got a new tales game so we must take pics of the case? Anyway, about an hour and 30 minutes in and I don't quite understand the cc mechanic, it seems like I can't get to the last tier of a-arts. Not sure if I'm doing it wrong or I simply can't at this point in the game.

Mr.Fresh

They're in a tab on the far right? of the item menu with a wireless symbol or something. Use them there, that'll get you the titles. Then you equip the titles, learn the 'Costume' skill, then you equip them under... Status or Party or whatever it's called, second option from the right on the top row of the menu after pressing right a few times.
Thanks!

Varion

So you can go through the entire game on easy but switch to Chaos for the final boss and unlock all the trophies?
Don't think they stack like that. You could go through the game on easy, beat the final boss on all the difficulty levels to unlock them all though, yes.

Astra

What's with the picture thing going on? Are we so excited that we got a new tales game so we must take pics of the case?

haha, I was wondering the same thing.

Made it to Lhant for the first time, and met Cheria. That is Laura Bailey, right?
I'm amazed at how unannoying she sounds voicing a young girl, as opposed to pretty damn annoying while voicing a teenage girl. I hope it doesn't become annoying when she grows up.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Just a heads up for those that have costumes. You have to equip the title and unlock lvl 3 in order to use it. Also, the DLC is under its own items tab.

What's with the picture thing going on? Are we so excited that we got a new tales game so we must take pics of the case? Anyway, about an hour and 30 minutes in and I don't quite understand the cc mechanic, it seems like I can't get to the last tier of a-arts. Not sure if I'm doing it wrong or I simply can't at this point in the game.
If you're still in the childhood arc then you can only go up to 3-attack combos IIRC.

Astra

Sorry if this has been answered, but concerning the skits, I noticed that they tend to pop up depending on where I stand. Are most skits triggered this way, rather than waiting in a certain area for X amount of minutes, like in Abyss?
Aimlessly wandering around an area for several minutes waiting for a skit to trigger was always annoying.

Got my copy in the mail. I was not expecting it to arrive today since I didn't choose any sort of fancy shipping options. Not that I'm complaining though. :D

Mr. Hyde

I've been burnt out on games for a while but I am craving an entertaining jrpg with entertaining characters. I hear the gameplay is amazing but are the characters fun in this Tales? I liked what I played of Vesperia, Phantasia and Abyss many moons ago but I never finished them due to random reasons. (Xbox 360 died, Abyss was a friends and I forget on Phantasia), so I do like the series. I just need a final push telling me the characters are at least endearing. I don't care if the story is generic. I sometimes watch silly animes for amusement.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I've been burnt out on games for a while but I am craving an entertaining jrpg with entertaining characters. I hear the gameplay is amazing but are the characters fun in this Tales? I liked what I played of Vesperia, Phantasia and Abyss many moons ago but I never finished them due to random reasons. (Xbox 360 died, Abyss was a friends and I forget on Phantasia), so I do like the series. I just need a final push telling me the characters are at least endearing. I don't care if the story is generic. I sometimes watch silly animes for amusement.

So far so good.

I played 3 hours straight and stopped about 1 1/2 hours ago. I didn't think I'd dig in that much but I am going back in sometime today for another 2 hopefully. I like it a lot already and the story has me intrigued with the few characters I've met so far.

jorgeton

They are super endearing. I'm only a couple of hours in, but I'm already really liking all of the main characters.

Astra

The characters are very charming so far. I'm still very early in, but I am finding them to be very amusing, and likeable.

B.K.

I picked up my copy a few minutes ago. The guy working at the store said that there were two other preorders for the game. I'm surprised anyone else around here would get it.

Lucent

Lowlight image but you get the idea...

I really want Xillia and the PS3 version of Vesperia, but I don't think I'd be able to play through them. I just can't imagine trying to figure out what to buy and what to use on the fly. And having to turn to a guide online every time I wanna know what's going on.

-Sigh- I just want them to localize these. If PS3 Vesperia was here and they ported Lost Odyssey to the PS3, I'd be able to give up my 360 without hesitation.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Xena's picture. Is ME3's ending really that bad? :lol

Finally got home and have my copy. HOLD ONTO YOUR BUTTS, TALES-GAF! WOOOOOOOO!!!

I had an exam today so I want to take a load off, but I should really start studying for something I have next week... Fuck it, I deserve a break once in a while, right? Mmm... But I should really study. What do I do?

P07yu.jpg

RPGCrazied

Been playing for about 4 1/2 hours. I just hit the adult phase.

Things about this game:

Graphics:

Textures aside(there are some fugly ones), but character models look great, and overall I love the artstyle. Still hard to tell it was a Wii game.

Music:

I think its decent. Without Motoi, it wouldn't feel like a Tales game. I know a lot of people say he is getting stale. I do wish the tracks were a bit longer. Some of them just loop way to much for my liking.

Voice Acting:

I will say the adult voices so far are leagues better than the child voices. I've only heard Malik and Asbel though.

Gameplay:

Love it. Nice and fast. I'm glad they ditched TP for this system. Never have to worry about using TP items to get that back.

Titles:

Seems like a lot. I've already got like 10 for Asbel. Question though. Should I be mastering them, or just getting all the skills and going to the next one? Kinda sucks the stat raising ones don't carry over into the next title. Also, the preorder DLC title. You have to unlock the new skin? I see ! Costume under the skills. Cause switching to this title didn't change my look.

All in all this game has beaten Legendia in terms of my favorite Tales. Number 1 still goes to Vesperia.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Titles:

Seems like a lot. I've already got like 10 for Asbel. Question though. Should I be mastering them, or just getting all the skills and going to the next one? Kinda sucks the stat raising ones don't carry over into the next title. Also, the preorder DLC title. You have to unlock the new skin? I see ! Costume under the skills. Cause switching to this title didn't change my look.

All in all this game has beaten Legendia in terms of my favorite Tales. Number 1 still goes to Vesperia.
We should all love CC more than TP.

You could master them, but it's better to get all the skills and go onto the next one. Mastering takes quite a bit of SP as you can tell, so it's just better to move on or tell the system that once it hits Tier-5 switch to another title so you don't have to go into the title menu. For the costume one, you have to get all of the skills up to Tier3 for the title before the costume unlocks. Happens with all costumes.

Sorry if this has been answered, but concerning the skits, I noticed that they tend to pop up depending on where I stand. Are most skits triggered this way, rather than waiting in a certain area for X amount of minutes, like in Abyss?
Aimlessly wandering around an area for several minutes waiting for a skit to trigger was always annoying.
Most of 'em trigger around Discoveries or Save Points. Try going into Inns and go towards the inn's save point too since skits'll trigger there.

Top Bottom