• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

FSLink

Banned
w05nSl.jpg

:D Success. Didn't get my DLC in an e-mail yet but eh.
Installing now!

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Schala, where did you get that yellow covered ToGF box, and why few people got two copies?

I guess people were hoping that it would be limited edition so it would be very valuable in future? :p

I played for a hour and half, and I felt it is kinda slow atm. I am sure that it would pick up faster when I hit adult phase.

Xena

Xena's picture. Is ME3's ending really that bad? :lol

(...)

Unfortunately for most fans of the series (including me...), yes... it's that bad. BUT some people do like it, so... to each their own? Hahaha.

It's pretty cool playing a Tales game in HD... the last one I had played was Vesperia on 360. I hope this one sells well and Namco brings Xilia as too. Also, did I mention voiced skits? Hahaha. Playing Abyss on 3DS was very awkward on the beginning when there was no voices NOR sound when the skit came up. What a relief.

RPGCrazied

You could master them, but it's better to get all the skills and go onto the next one. Mastering takes quite a bit of SP as you can tell, so it's just better to move on or tell the system that once it hits Tier-5 switch to another title so you don't have to go into the title menu. For the costume one, you have to get all of the skills up to Tier3 for the title before the costume unlocks. Happens with all costumes.

Thanks. Good to know. I guess I'll leave this title equipped for now. :) Did I hear you can rush the child part in 30 minutes? Man I must be going slow. Of course I'm fighting every monster I see, and exploring every nook and crany.

Schala, where did you get that yellow covered ToGF box, and why few people got two copies?

I played for a hour and half, and I felt it is kinda slow atm. I am sure that it would pick up faster when I hit adult phase.
That's the reversible cover for the Japanese version of the game. And yeah, the child phase is pretty slow, but as soon as you get into the adult phase it picks up quickly, especially in battle since you get access to B arts.

Varion

Seems like a lot. I've already got like 10 for Asbel. Question though. Should I be mastering them, or just getting all the skills and going to the next one? Kinda sucks the stat raising ones don't carry over into the next title. Also, the preorder DLC title. You have to unlock the new skin? I see ! Costume under the skills. Cause switching to this title didn't change my look.

All in all this game has beaten Legendia in terms of my favorite Tales. Number 1 still goes to Vesperia.
1. No, don't bother mastering them. I always set the auto to 5 for everyone. Mastering has a couple of benefits - there's a few titles where the master effect is actually useful (when I was playing on evil I actually tended to switch back to a handful of mastered titles), and if you've got all your titles to 5 then mastering X amount of them unlocks a new title. Generally though you want to be collecting the stat increases and artes off as many as possible.

2. Yep, costume skill necessary. This is a Good Thing because as far as I remember back in the original version there was no costume skill, so you had to have the title equipped. Which meant you either had to give up all the stat increases of other titles (and be horribly underpowered as a result) or just not use the costume. Useless.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That's easy. Relax and play Graces for a while!
But... but... I haven't really done much work for this thing next week, but I want to play Graces. I could schedule my usual game time on the weekend to now, and study on the weekend instead. Hmm...

Yellow cover is the reversible alternate cover for the Japanese version. I like it a lot better than the default green cover. Edit: Beaten.

Unfortunately for most fans of the series (including me...), yes... it's that bad. BUT some people do like it, so... to each their own? Hahaha.

It's pretty cool playing a Tales game in HD... the last one I had played was Vesperia on 360. I hope this one sells well and Namco brings Xilia as too. Also, did I mention voiced skits? Hahaha. Playing Abyss on 3DS was very awkward on the beginning when there was no voices NOR sound when the skit came up. What a relief.
It just seems that some people like playing through the game, and then when they get their endings, I hear so many complaints about it, lol.

Playing Abyss 3DS was really jarring for me too since I'm so used to voiced skits now, so hearing no voiceovers or barely any sound while a skit is going on and the characters' mouths move is kinda weird for me. Glad people are getting a lot out of the voiced skits. It shouldn't have been a feature; it should have been in the localized games from the start.

I'm very glad to see people enjoying this game in general.

Does this version has the reversible cover? Like the japanese one.
No. :(

Thanks. Good to know. I guess I'll leave this title equipped for now. :) Did I hear you can rush the child part in 30 minutes? Man I must be going slow. Of course I'm fighting every monster I see, and exploring every nook and crany.
You can definitely do that, but like you, I prefer to take my sweet time with things (and I'll try to unlock Evil in the Childhood Arc, but I might lose patience since the artes the kids have aren't as nice as the Adult ones).

Okay, I'm a little bit into the adult arc. I'm liking the story so far (but then again I'm a sucker for lots of Anime stories). The voice acting is good in the adult arc.

The combat is a little....weird. I tryed Symphonia out before, and compared to this, it feels somewhat stiff. The combat feels like some kind of weird cross with Super Smash Bros. and Kingdom Hearts (well that wouldn't be weird at all that would be friggin' awesome). I often find myself unable to do attacks because of this CC system. Also, this "auto" and "semi-auto" system is a little confusing. Sometimes I wonder whether it's the computer controlling the character or I am. I'm aware that there is a "Manual" option, but I haven't unlocked it yet. Also, maybe it's just me, but switching between A and B-Artes feels kind of delayed. I suppose it's because you pay 1 CC for doing it, but I don't know.

I'm going to still play this game all the way through though. I've gotten used to other battle systems in the past, so I'll keep going and see what changes.

RPGCrazied

The theme is kinda meh. All it is pictures. A new one pops up when you exit something or turn on your PS3. Oh well, can't beat free. lol

RPGCrazied

Is there a way to keep the stat raising skills in a title when switching to a new one? I guess you'd be overpowered if you could.

FSLink

Banned
Okay, I'm a little bit into the adult arc. I'm liking the story so far (but then again I'm a sucker for lots of Anime stories). The voice acting is good in the adult arc.

The combat is a little....weird. I tryed Symphonia out before, and compared to this, it feels somewhat stiff. The combat feels like some kind of weird cross with Super Smash Bros. and Kingdom Hearts (well that wouldn't be weird at all that would be friggin' awesome). I often find myself unable to do attacks because of this CC system. Also, this "auto" and "semi-auto" system is a little confusing. Sometimes I wonder whether it's the computer controlling the character or I am. I'm aware that there is a "Manual" option, but I haven't unlocked it yet. Also, maybe it's just me, but switching between A and B-Artes feels kind of delayed. I suppose it's because you pay 1 CC for doing it, but I don't know.

Manual mode can be bought from the first town you're in iirc. And switching between A and B artes gets easier once you unlock skills.

http://www.twitch.tv/fslink#

Also about to stream here. Almost done installing.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Holy shit, the manual feels like a quarter the size of the Japanese manual. :lol

I'm going to still play this game all the way through though. I've gotten used to other battle systems in the past, so I'll keep going and see what changes.
Auto - computer controls your character, and is defined by the settings in the strategy menu.
Semi-Auto - You control most stuff, and you can just press a button (x or o) and you'll immediately run to the targetted enemy and you'll always face them when you attack.
Manual - You do everything yourself, including running to enemies to hit them, or facing them when you attack.

Press and hold Square to restore your CC.

Switching between A and B is delayed because they're completely different styles of attacking (hence the character needs to make the animation to sheathe a sword, unsheathe a sword, etc). But it gets much easier when you progress later through the game.

Varion

Is there a way to keep the stat raising skills in a title when switching to a new one? I guess you'd be overpowered if you could.
Assuming you mean the 'When this title is equipped your physical attack raises by 4%' or whatever effects that you have when you first get the title, rather than the skills you get by levelling said title up? Nope, no way.

Jesus Christ, this game. Was going to only play for an hour but an hour turned into two, and that turned into three, and now it's 6PM. >.>

Good thing I didn't have any sort of prior obligations today.

RPGCrazied

Jesus Christ, this game. Was going to only play for an hour but an hour turned into two, and that turned into three, and now it's 6PM. >.>

Good thing I didn't have any sort of prior obligations today.

Yeah. I played for almost 5 hours. Of course I have no life, so I can play all day. :p I'm giving it a rest before dinner though.

RPGCrazied

That was a spoiler? Just a bosses name?

I beat
Bryce in 40 secs or so, got the trophy.
Should I do the bosses on easy, or most of them easy to get on moderate?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
kayos fails at spoiler tagging. Fortunately they don't seem like bad spoilers. But still! Failure.

Yep, I read it on accident too.

I mean some are just throwing out a little too many details.

Either way, I'm loving the game so far and the combat is opening up some more now. Love the visuals too. Simple but full of color.

Varion

I beat
Easy, definitely. Fair amount can be done okay on normal, but there's a few that were tight even with 10x EXP on a second playthrough. Better not to risk it and just go right down.

burgerdog

Yup. The graphics are awesome. If I didn't frequent the net and didn't know about the wii version I would have never noticed. Then again, I have not played Xilia and that might be a lot better graphically.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Why no one post the Wii Version with their Graces Jap/Vesperia Jap/Xbox? =/

No love for the beta testers?

I'm one of them. =|
I don't have the Wii version. :/ (It came out before I decided to take advice from the GAF Homebrew Wiki, and I didn't really see the need to import it after.)

My Vesperia 360 is somewhere in a shelf under a pile of games and I don't want to dig it out. It's with all those 360 games I can't play due to no 360. They might be under a lab coat and some Game Gear stuff or in a shelf. I can't remember. And my Xillia is under a pile of games that I'm currently playing (since I was trying to get the plat on my North American PSN account).

Disgaeamad said:
It'll be nice reliving my rage at bosses through this thread. That thing was just the start of awful things to come.
Look forward to me complaining about チムピオーンボア when I get there. A few other later bosses whom we shall not name too.

It'll be like when I complained about slots in FFXIII-2, only with more cursing. It might actually be like this in my head until I regain my composure and type something constructive.

Either way, I'm loving the game so far and the combat is opening up some more now. Love the visuals too. Simple but full of color.
I love that about this game, most definitely.

Thoraxes

So can you just not tell someone to heal in battle? Like do they just automatically do it?

Also outside of battle, I take it there's no way to heal with artes?

I beat

I really can't wrap my head around some of these localised names. Had to take a few minutes to think about who you were talking about there.

Varion

Yup. The graphics are awesome. If I didn't frequent the net and didn't know about the wii version I would have never noticed. Then again, I have not played Xilia and that might be a lot better graphically.
It's a different style. First word that always comes to mind to describe Graces PS3 is 'clean'. Played the Wii version back when it came out and the improvement in graphics is pretty crazy.

Look forward to me complaining about チムピオーンボア when I get there. A few other later bosses whom we shall not name too.
I lost count of how many hours I had to grind for that one on NG-less evil. Good lord.

So can you just not tell someone to heal in battle? Like do they just automatically do it?

Yeah it's in the strategy/AI settings or whatever. You can set what you want the AI to prioritise doing, and when you want them to switch into healing mode (someone on 25% HP, someone on 50%, 75% or just flat out heal if anyone's less than maximum.)

And nope, because of the CC system you have to use cooking or items outside battle.

Haha, I look forward to the entire thread complaining about that monstrosity. It really is crazy.

Nope, that's the only minor downside about having CC instead of TP. Good job CC is just so much better in every other area to make up for it though!

I can't resist a new JRPG for consoles. Even if the Tales series has never really clicked for me outside of Phantasia and Destiny...I want to give this "Best RPG combat" a shot. Seems all the Gamestops near me have it, and I will be snagging one tomorrow. With spring break in just a week I really hope I get hooked on it.

RPGCrazied

What are the chances of Namco putting the dlc costumes on the ps store? I want to buy all the ones not available in-game.

I was really hoping they would do today. I hope they do it before to long though, cause I don't want to have beaten the game and then they release them. Like Square did with XIII-2.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
What are the chances of Namco putting the dlc costumes on the ps store? I want to buy all the ones not available in-game.

They'll put up as many as your wallet can handle. They want all that cash monies up in that stacked bank account of your's and mine.

Thoraxes

Yeah it's in the strategy/AI settings or whatever. You can set what you want the AI to prioritise doing, and when you want them to switch into healing mode (someone on 25% HP, someone on 50%, 75% or just flat out heal if anyone's less than maximum.)

And nope, because of the CC system you have to use cooking or items outside battle.

Nope, that's the only minor downside about having CC instead of TP. Good job CC is just so much better in every other area to make up for it though!
Ah, thank you both! I totally love the CC system way more over the old system though so this is totally cool by me. Battles feel waaaaaaaay more engaging, active, and fluid, and lots of little systems seem to have been revamped to actually be useful and fun.

The titles system is sooooo good now.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I lost count of how many hours I had to grind for that one on NG-less evil. Good lord.
I did it on NG-less Chaos and it pissed me off so much. I was close to lowering the difficulty to Evil a few times. I think I might do the sane thing and just do it on a lower difficulty this time. The XP and SP aren't worth the frustration.

Haha, I look forward to the entire thread complaining about that monstrosity. It really is crazy.
LOL, I'm looking forward to it too... unless they aren't stubborn like a few of us and decide to do it on Easy/Normal/Moderate.

Edit: Eff it, I guess I'll play a bit, but not for a long time!

Varion

I did it on NG-less Chaos and it pissed me off so much. I was close to lowering the difficulty to Evil a few times. I think I might do the sane thing and just do it on a lower difficulty this time. The XP and SP aren't worth the frustration.
I don't think I could survive a NG-less chaos run with all my hair still intact, there were a few bosses I just wanted to ragequit on the game on evil as it was. Intending to beat the game on chaos at some point but I'm going to need something from the grade shop for it.

Ah, thank you both! I totally love the CC system way more over the old system though so this is totally cool by me. Battles feel waaaaaaaay more engaging, active, and fluid, and lots of little systems seem to have been revamped to actually be useful and fun.

The titles system is sooooo good now.

Now that's the kind of reaction I like to see. Wait until you get further in and become real pro at it, it's incredible.

LOL, I'm looking forward to it too... unless they aren't stubborn like a few of us and decide to do it on Easy/Normal/Moderate.

Edit: Eff it, I guess I'll play a bit, but not for a long time!

Well in that case we'll just have to give them stern, disappointed looks. Stubbornness is gold! And lol, love how the Graces magic can pull people away from work regardless of which playthrough you're on. See you in 6-8 hours!

I don't think I could survive a NG-less chaos run with all my hair still intact, there were a few bosses I just wanted to ragequit on the game on evil as it was.

I can remember the sheer rage like it was yesterday. Good times.

Astra

Most of 'em trigger around Discoveries or Save Points. Try going into Inns and go towards the inn's save point too since skits'll trigger there.

Ah good, glad to hear that, thanks.

I like the sounds of this.
Are we talking bosses that are so hard, and take so long to beat, that I'll actually have to take a break or two mid-battle?

FSLink

Banned
Are we talking bosses that are so hard, and take so long to beat, that I'll actually have to take a break or two mid-battle?
Yeah, though I feel they aren't so difficult you HAVE to grind to beat them, you can beat them with lots of clever dodging and skills.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't think I could survive a NG-less chaos run with all my hair still intact, there were a few bosses I just wanted to ragequit on the game on evil as it was. Intending to beat the game on chaos at some point but I'm going to need something from the grade shop for it.
There were definitely times where I went a little nuts over a few enemies, especially towards the end, and during postgame. :/

Beating the game on Chaos felt pretty satisfying, though, since you mostly have to concentrate on dodging and evasion more than taking the bosses head-on. Going back and doing some of the lower difficulty mode clear trophies felt pretty relaxing since they weren't as frustrating.

But I agree-- it's way better to do a Chaos run on NG+ since you'll have the XP and damage output multipliers. You won't feel as handicapped against the bullet-sponge enemies.

Varion

Depends on what difficulty you play on. There were a few on evil that were definitely tough enough to require a break. It's not so much long as the fact you'll get pummelled mercilessly and have to rethink how you're going things. Generally skill and strategy changing will get you through, though there were a few bosses that seemed to delight in soaring over the battlefield and murdering my healers. Repeatedly.

I'm talking bosses that do not give a single fuck about your guarding or the fact that you're raining death down upon them and will just continue to mess you up forever.

Edit: oh and ENDLESS MINION SUMMONING.

Finally ripped myself away from the game for the day. Arte learning being tied to titles is such a great idea.

Is Hubert always programmed to use his Blast Caliber at a certain point during that fight? It caught me off guard, especially in a series known for subverting the "Unbeatable Boss" trope.

Top Bottom