• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

Looking foward to playing
again
with my brother(and maybe some friends) on the weekend.

Lost too many hours on Tales of multiplayer. =D

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well in that case we'll just have to give them stern, disappointed looks. Stubbornness is gold! And lol, love how the Graces magic can pull people away from work regardless of which playthrough you're on. See you in 6-8 hours!
Oh, I don't think most players are insane like some of us. :lol

Nonono, I hope I can pull myself away from it. I should get some studying/work done tonight, at least. -_- (I might go back to the game before I fall asleep or something after I decide to stop.)

I feel like I'm falling in love with the game all over again, though.

Yeah, though I feel they aren't so difficult you HAVE to grind to beat them, you can beat them with lots of clever dodging and skills.
Yup.

Oh, hey... you'll probably get further in quicker, but can you try to confirm whether the item duplication glitch is still in or not? I keep hearing it isn't. Kinda weird it was retained for both Japanese versions of the game, and yet in the NA version it's fixed.

Varion said:
Generally skill and strategy changing will get you through, though there were a few bosses that seemed to delight in soaring over the battlefield and murdering my healers. Repeatedly.
Oh yes, those bosses are utterly delightful.

:(

I'm talking bosses that do not give a single fuck about your guarding or the fact that you're raining death down upon them and will just continue to mess you up forever.

Edit: oh and ENDLESS MINION SUMMONING.
omg... this is the worst.

Astra

Yeah, though I feel they aren't so difficult you HAVE to grind to beat them, you can beat them with lots of clever dodging and skills.

That's one thing I love about Tales games, is you never have to grind. Basically fight enemies as you come across them, and you'll never be under-leveled.

Depends on what difficulty you play on. There were a few on evil that were definitely tough enough to require a break. It's not so much long as the fact you'll get pummelled mercilessly and have to rethink how you're going things. Generally skill and strategy changing will get you through, though there were a few bosses that seemed to delight in soaring over the battlefield and murdering my healers. Repeatedly.

I'm talking bosses that do not give a single fuck about your guarding or the fact that you're raining death down upon them and will just continue to mess you up forever.

Edit: oh and ENDLESS MINION SUMMONING.

Haha, great! I look forward to being bald by the time I finish this on the highest difficulty (Chaos, is it?).

I like how they're smart enough to go right for your healers. Makes me wonder if it's best to actively control the healer(s), though I'm sure that'll just end up with your frontline fighters constantly being killed.

Synless

Yup. The graphics are awesome. If I didn't frequent the net and didn't know about the wii version I would have never noticed. Then again, I have not played Xilia and that might be a lot better graphically.

When I played the Japanese demo I wasn't impressed at all. The environments were way below Vesperia's in terms of detail. It's been a long time though since I played that, maybe I remember it looking worse than it was.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Finally ripped myself away from the game for the day. Arte learning being tied to titles is such a great idea.

Is Hubert always programmed to use his Blast Caliber at a certain point during that fight? It caught me off guard, especially in a series known for subverting the "Unbeatable Boss" trope.
Yes.

I have two copies of the game in my hands! EXCITE!!

BUT, I have to take my fiancée somewhere tonight, so I can't play yet.

Quick Question Time! I assume if I just play through blindly the first time (as I greatly prefer), I can focus on getting all the achieve-er, trophies, on a New Game+ without any problems or should there be anything I need to pay attention to on the first game?

Also, no Manual right from the get-go is dumb. I thought they stopped doing that. Ugh!

Reveirg

As expected, music is sub-par and cutscenes are SO4-bad (unless that gets better after the child arc). But the gameplay is soooo good so far.

Quick question, is there any downside to not watching the skits? (Are titles, trophies or anything at all acquired that way?)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
As expected, music is sub-par and cutscenes are SO4-bad (unless that gets better after the child arc). But the gameplay is soooo good so far.

Quick question, is there any downside to not watching the skits? (Are titles, trophies or anything at all acquired that way?)

The cutscenes aren't even close to SO4 bad.

FSLink

Banned
How comes Manual isn't available during the Child arc? C'mon, I HATE Semi-Auto!

Try going to the shop in Lhant. It's buyable there for 500 Gald.

Also, item duplication glitch? I haven't tried that in the Japanese version.

I tested this theory out once. It did not end well, let's leave it at that.
Actually using Cheria by herself is pretty effective...though I would not recommend doing it early on.

Thoraxes

How comes Manual isn't available during the Child arc? C'mon, I HATE Semi-Auto!

It is. You buy a
Manual Manual (lol name) for 500 gald by the south exit of town.

A9eQk.jpg

I like how they're smart enough to go right for your healers. Makes me wonder if it's best to actively control the healer(s), though I'm sure that'll just end up with your frontline fighters constantly being killed.

My Cheria didn't like my Shopie, Me or my brother had to take control of her to heal/revive Sophie.

The fast switch with the d-pad help saving healers.

Varion

Finally ripped myself away from the game for the day. Arte learning being tied to titles is such a great idea.

Is Hubert always programmed to use his Blast Caliber at a certain point during that fight? It caught me off guard, especially in a series known for subverting the "Unbeatable Boss" trope.
Spoiler for about... 10 hours in or so?
I dunno if it's always the exact same point - the fight always ends when he uses it, but the fight is 100% impossible to win, even if you're so overpowered you can take all his HP off in a second the HP value just goes to "????" and he keeps fighting anyway.

Oh yes, those bosses are utterly delightful.

:(

omg... this is the worst.
It's a fond memory now, but a few of them really did make me want to kill something. Soon as I got the first one Arcana Bottles went right into my pot, they saved me more times than I can count. Final boss of the extra chapter went through at least 10 hourglasses (No you are not using your hiougi), all my arcana bottles, most of my healing items etc, and even then it took several days of dualising my weapons to be able to do it. I'd come too far to give up at that point, it had to be done.

Sophie gets titles depending on how many skits you've seen but there are no trophies for them. You can always start the skit then immediately press start and skip it if you don't want to see them though and still get the titles.

Haha, great! I look forward to being bald by the time I finish this on the highest difficulty (Chaos, is it?).

Yep, chaos is the height of pain, unless they've changed the names in the English version. Japanese was Simple -> Normal -> Second -> Hard -> Evil (unlocked after fighting on hard for 200 fights) -> Chaos (300 fights on Evil).

And yeah I thought that might work too. It doesn't. They seem to target your healers when you really don't want them to, and when you're thinking it's okay for them to target someone else because you want to go into full on attack mode, then they decide to target you. Or failing that they just summon a load of minions and kill everyone at once.

I'm supposed to be starting up my Unknown run in Vesperia today, but I can't stop myself from refreshing this thread just to see how everyone's reacting. Curse you, GAF!

FSLink

Banned
Yep, chaos is the height of pain, unless they've changed the names in the English version. Japanese was Simple -> Normal -> Second -> Hard -> Evil (unlocked after fighting on hard for 200 fights) -> Chaos (300 fights on Evil).
I believe it's Simple->Normal->Moderate->Hard->Evil->Chaos

I got the game since 1:30 PM. It's now 7:02 PM where I live, but I can't pull myself away. The combat is SO GOOD. The rest of the game seems solid as well. The skits were pretty cute during childhood, and the game seems to be clipping along at a decent pace.

But is it just me, or was the audio for some of the early skits kind of warbled? It sounded like some parts were compressed weirdly or something, but I haven't heard anything like it since the 3 hour mark or so.

Dresden

Maybe not, but I'd still appreciate more compelling dialogue than "let's pick apples from the trees! har har!!"

But like I said, I'm only at the beginning, and 90% of RPGs begin like this.

Judging by what I've seen, I think you should set your expectations low.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The cutscenes aren't even comparable to Star Ocean 4's. Star Ocean 4's were an utter disgrace in general. These cutscenes are fine. They're children. They're behaving like children. I thought it was rather endearing in the JP version. *is still battling things on Lhant Hill*

Also, item duplication glitch? I haven't tried that in the Japanese version.

Actually using Cheria by herself is pretty effective...though I would not recommend doing it early on.
Cheria's definitely one of my favourite characters to use manually. The only thing is her low defense, but since she throws knives, you can keep her away from most stuff.

It's the dualization glitch where:
Buy 3 of any check/accessory that blocks status effects, and buy 2 of another check. Equip the first three checks to three characters, dualize one of the other 2 checks with any equipped check. Exit out and you'll have 255 of a check. Or you could buy 2 of the first check and 1 of the other check. It'll still work as long as you have one more than the other.

It's a fond memory now, but a few of them really did make me want to kill something. Soon as I got the first one Arcana Bottles went right into my pot, they saved me more times than I can count. Final boss of the extra chapter went through at least 10 hourglasses (No you are not using your hiougi), all my arcana bottles, most of my healing items etc, and even then it took several days of dualising my weapons to be able to do it. I'd come too far to give up at that point, it had to be done.
Ahahaha, I spammed hourglasses on that boss too. It was awful.

Yeah, I had to do a lot of dualization to get through Chaos even during maingame. I imagine that you probably won't have to if you're playing on an easier difficulty, but dualization really helps out on harder difficulties.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It is. You buy a
Manual Manual (lol name) for 500 gald by the south exit of town.

A9eQk.jpg

Which you end up
getting for free on your way to the capitol in a roadside inn/building or whatever they are.

I wasn't going to play until later but I think I'm going back in for more in a few minutes.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
kayos fails at spoiler tagging. Fortunately they don't seem like bad spoilers. But still! Failure.

FUCCCCCCC DAMMIT! Sorry guys. Shit... thanks for catching it aaron.

EDIT: The most hilarious inconsistency I've seen so far.

Warrior's Roost has a passworded treasure chest. The password is Riot Peak. ROFL

Hubert's BC is Broadside Waltz. He says Instant Valse. ROFL

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Dear Self,

Self, you need to stop treating Child Asbel like you would Adult Asbel. He can't use 魔王炎撃波, 雷斬衝, 邪霊一閃, 幻魔衝裂破 or all those other cool moves yet so stop trying to use Artes you can't.

Astra

I'm playing on Moderate right now, until I get the hang of the CC battle system, which I pretty much have now. I think I'll up it to Hard when I get to the Adult Portion.
I fear Chaos mode on my initial playthrough, and would probably be wise to wait until a NG+ for that. Nonetheless, I'll try it out. haha.

I tested this theory out once. It did not end well, let's leave it at that.

Varion said:
And yeah I thought that might work too. It doesn't. They seem to target your healers when you really don't want them to, and when you're thinking it's okay for them to target someone else because you want to go into full on attack mode, then they decide to target you. Or failing that they just summon a load of minions and kill everyone at once.

Ah, nice. Sounds like the AI can actually be clever. Either that, or it's just really shitty luck when they choose to target your healers.

Minions are always the worst. Even if they're weak, they just harass you and take focus off the big guy long enough for it to crush you!

My Cheria didn't like my Shopie, Me or my brother had to take control of her to heal/revive Sophie.

The fast switch with the d-pad help saving healers.

I never tried out the fast switch yet, so can it be done without going into the battle menu to do it? It can be done in real time while battling?

Dear Self,

Self, you need to stop treating Child Asbel like you would Adult Asbel. He can't use 魔王炎撃波, 雷斬衝, 邪霊一閃, 幻魔衝裂破 or all those other cool moves yet so stop trying to use Artes you can't.

I keep pressing Square to try and attack. Freaking Kingdoms of Amalur controls are still mapped in my muscle memory!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Tales Of Graces f (x13) (free – $2.99)
Various add ons
File size 100 KB each

These are up on PSN... going to see what it is.

Astra

Various add ons
File size 100 KB each

Those upgrades look like something you would purchase from the Grade Shop on a New Game+. Hopefully they still will be, and are merely offered as DLC for those who want to get them on a fresh run.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Various add ons
File size 100 KB each

They're probably the item packs and the childhood clothes like on JPSN. I think a few of the item packs were free.

Edit: Duder, they put some costumes up? Nice. LOL, those are in-game costumes. omg, Namco. Just give me a few of the Tales History set costumes and I'll be fine.

I'm playing on Moderate right now, until I get the hang of the CC battle system, which I pretty much have now. I think I'll up it to Hard when I get to the Adult Portion.
I fear Chaos mode on my initial playthrough, and would probably be wise to wait until a NG+ for that. Nonetheless, I'll try it out. haha.

I never tried out the fast switch yet, so can it be done without going into the battle menu to do it? It can be done in real time while battling?

I keep pressing Square to try and attack. Freaking Kingdoms of Amalur controls are still mapped in my muscle memory!
Chaos mode isn't that bad in the beginning, but it get progressively harder towards the end of the game. I completed a non-NG-Chaos playthrough, but there were a few times where I wanted to throw my controller out of the window.

Real-time. Just touch your D-pad and press in the direction of the character who you want to switch to.

I did that after I played Nier (I think it was Nier that mapped Square to attack). It screwed me up a lot, lol.

burgerdog

Are the save points this generous throughout the entire game? Moderate seems a tad bit easy, too... Might switch to hard.

edit
Could you guys point out which costumes are not available in-game?

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Just wanted to let everyone know that the DLC costumes that just went up can be obtained in game

Yep, can be done in real time, just press the direction of the characther on the d-pad.

Edit: Beaten. Miss this on Abyss 3D, can even change on battle...does someone know how?

Yuterald

Played the game for a little over an hour. Battle system is definitely boss. The cinematics at the start of the game were a little exhausting to be perfectly honest. The purple hair pig tail girl totally gave me flashbacks of Arc Rise Fantasia's intro (I know, I know, this is better written/voiced, etc.). Still, amnesia mystery girl is not really my preferred way to start an RPG. Maybe I've just grown too far from Tales games? I don't know.

The two brothers are kind of neat, I could see the two growing apart from each other as they get older. Maybe Hubert does some questionable things later? That would be cool. I'm thinking I'll start feeling the plot more once I'm out of the child arc, but at the moment it is all about the gameplay, which isn't a bad thing. I think the only RPG I've dug with a child arc was Breath of Fire II & III.

Oh, and the battle track for the kids is total Motoi-stock. Hopefully, there are other, better battle tracks?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Are the save points this generous throughout the entire game? Moderate seems a tad bit easy, too... Might switch to hard.

edit
Could you guys point out which costumes are not available in-game?
All of those are in-game now that I can read the text. Ahahaha.

You'll usually get save points before a boss, and at the beginning of an area (and town save points are in inns). Maybe it feels generous because the dungeons and fields aren't that big in general.

Oh, and the battle track for the kids is total Motoi-stock. Hopefully, there are other, better battle tracks?
Yuterald, I wouldn't expect a lot from the soundtrack if I were you if you're already getting this vibe. Some of the other battle themes are pretty good after this one, though.

But Graces' battle themes aren't really among my favourites in the series, no.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
All I want is my Haseo. It's against my nature to buy crap DLC. But this is the only one. ONLY ONE! WHY?!!!!

FSLink

Banned

Yep, don't want to spoil them (you can search them on YouTube if you want), but battle theme 5 is one of my favorites. :D

Yep, can be done in real time, just press the direction of the characther on the d-pad.

Edit: Beaten. Miss this on Abyss 3D, can even change on battle...does someone know how?
Abyss can switch in battle in the menu with select after you get the Moon Selector item.

Jomjom

Banned
I haven't played Tales since Tales of Phantasia and Tales of Destiny. I loved the crap out of those games, even though I couldn't read Japanese. Will I like this one?

Top Bottom