• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

Astra

Chaos mode isn't that bad in the beginning, but it get progressively harder towards the end of the game. I completed a non-NG-Chaos playthrough, but there were a few times where I wanted to throw my controller out of the window.

Real-time. Just touch your D-pad and press in the direction of the character who you want to switch to.

I did that after I played Nier (I think it was Nier that mapped Square to attack). It screwed me up a lot, lol.

I'll fight as much as reasonably possible to unlock Chaos asap, and see what kind of damage my controller suffers. For comparisons sake, how do the ultra bosses here stack up against the ones in earlier Tales games, such as Abyss with Nebilim? (On Unknown, of course).

Those that are playing on Hard, be prepared to get roflpwnt a lot.

I'm counting on it!

haha, I love the purchasing of 5 levels for $2. Great for those who don't have time to level up, I suppose.

Varion

Oh, and the battle track for the kids is total Motoi-stock. Hopefully, there are other, better battle tracks?
There are other battle tracks, though better will be up to you. Some of them are decent, though he seemed to go for a different sound to his usual on some of them. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't as well. Then you have the fifth one which is a gigantic mess that makes me want to tear my ears off, and I have DLC costumes just to avoid listening to it.

Area Name spoilers:
Warrior's Roost has a passworded treasure chest. The password is Riot Peak. ROFL
Seriously? Because this is pretty hilarious if it's true. I'd love to see the clue for that one: "What was this area called before we changed its name?"

One thing I actually liked about playing it on evil was the fact that it made me use all the game's systems to their fullest. So while you get owned a lot, I want at least some incentive to take advantage of everything. Hard is fine for that though. Not evil. Evil is for masochists.

Mr. Hyde

I caved and ended up buying it while I was next to a gamestop with my girlfriend. She told me to stop making excuses on why not to buy a new game and just get it. I hope to play it sometime this evening to get back on the Tales train. Maybe I will buy an extra controller if she likes the look of it.

Varion

The trophy pictures for this are lame. I'm picking this up as soon as I finish at work.
It's a shame they didn't go to the same effort with Graces' (and Xillia's) trophy icons as they did with Vesperia's. That has unique ones for every trophy, the others are just 'one for each trophy type, and they're all colour switches'. Booooring.

Minor complaint, but it would've been nice.

Zabuza

Banned
It's a shame they didn't go to the same effort with Graces' (and Xillia's) trophy icons as they did with Vesperia's. That has unique ones for every trophy, the others are just 'one for each trophy type, and they're all colour switches'. Booooring.

Minor complaint, but it would've been nice.
Yeah, this kind of thing just bothers me in a game I want to platinum.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Just started. Liking it so far, but I dislike when songs are dubbed in English poorly. >>;
Graces' theme song doesn't compare to the awesomeness that are:
-Yume De Aru Youni
-Progress

I'm even partial to Ninin Sankyaku for some reason. Not the vocals, but the instrumental

JohnLacke said:
I'll fight as much as reasonably possible to unlock Chaos asap, and see what kind of damage my controller suffers. For comparisons sake, how do the ultra bosses here stack up against the ones in earlier Tales games, such as Abyss with Nebilim? (On Unknown, of course).
I hate free running, so I tried to fight against Nebilim on Unknown with proper defending as opposed to just running around avoiding spells. It isn't that bad, but she's hard when she decides to use her hi-ougi as you recover from something. Since players generally took advantage of the free-run system in that game, I'd say she might be a little easier if you used free run a lot.

Here, since I stuck to using around-step to evade or go up to enemies as opposed to using Free-Run (which, remember, you're penalized for using), sometimes I got swarmed or couldn't get away from attack quick enough so I had to guard properly. I'd still recommend being high levels for the postgame monsters, just because some of them are pretty hard. Even with the two main healers, Sophie and Cheria, it can still be difficult; Sophie only targets one person, and Cheria can take a while to cast the spell you want even with her boosters.

One of the optional bosses has a hell of a lot of HP, high DEF and you have 20 minutes to kill it. And he hits hard. I was at Level 100+ when I did that one, and it was still really hard.

The Zone Cage final boss is a bastard on Chaos. But let's not talk about him. :|

EDIT: The most hilarious inconsistency I've seen so far.

Warrior's Roost has a passworded treasure chest. The password is
Riot Peak
. ROFL

Hubert's BC is Broadside Waltz. He says Instant Valse. ROFL
I'm sorry, what?

KuGsj.gif

Geneijin

Heh, my game just froze during an event in the beginning.
After you overhear the conversation between Asbel's father, Aston, and his mother and leave the house to trigger an event where Asbel gives Sophie her name, the game froze on me when Frederic was coming from behind as everyone was overlooking Asbel's father rushing to somewhere.

Must have been because of my settings I suppose. Text message was on immediate as I was skipping forward while reading during that event.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm working my way to Chaos since Hard is lol.

...but saying that about the first few hours is jumping the gun a bit.
Hard feels pretty easy, I agree.

Though that might be because I'm so used to playing this game on Chaos. Just know that some of the bosses can be pretty frustrating on Chaos later on.

kewlmyc

I'm only playing on hard because Normal and Moderate are a joke. Now battles with bears actually require thought.

Also to people wondering about Manual mode, you have to buy it from an items store for 500 gald.

scy

Hard feels pretty easy, I agree.

Though that might be because I'm so used to playing this game on Chaos. Just know that some of the bosses can be pretty frustrating on Chaos later on.

I'm looking forward to it, really.

Grindan grindan grindan... Took me half an hour to get one of the Carta cards. Oh well, more encounters!

burgerdog

I'm only playing on hard because Normal and Moderate are a joke. Now battles with bears actually require thought.

Also to people wondering about Manual mode, you have to buy it from an items store for 500 gald.

You can just get it from a chest inside of house on the way to the port.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Thanks! So how do difficulty trophies work. Do you have to play through the whole game with a certain difficulty and do they stack?
No, you can play through the entire game on any difficulty you want. Just clear the boss on the associated difficulty (Moderate/Hard/Evil/Chaos) to get the trophy. They do not stack.

If I start on Normal for my first playthrough will you guy make fun of me?
LOL, no. Why would we?

I'm looking forward to it, really.

Grindan grindan grindan... Took me half an hour to get one of the Carta cards. Oh well, more encounters!
Carta are given to you randomly from the sparklies, so they can take a while to generate if you aren't lucky enough to get one on the first shot.

And man, I think I'm just gonna do the Childhood Arc and move onto the Adult Arc to get the extra difficulties. I miss my B-style artes.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Just got Richard. I see that Vengeant Fangs is still freaking OP.

David Vincent fits the role perfectly. I mean super perfectly.

Zabuza

Banned
Much appreciated Varion and Schala! So just make a save before the boss and once you unlock all difficulties beat the boss! Sounds good.

FSLink

Banned
Just pick the difficulty that you have the most fun at. Too easy difficulty levels encourage lazy button mashing even though the battle system can offer so much more.

Yes. For people who played Tales games before, I'd recommend Hard. Regular battles aren't just button mashing, and bosses offer a decent challenge without being TOO stupid difficult (though there are moments, lol)

wooo. Gahh, why do you still move like you are on ice? JRPGs...

And anyone else notice how the loading times are longer than tales of abyss 3ds? hmmm...

I do love how you near instantly enter combat. Wish it was as fast exiting combat though =(

john tv

EDIT: The most hilarious inconsistency I've seen so far.

Warrior's Roost has a passworded treasure chest.
The password is Riot Peak.
ROFL

It's not an inconsistency.
闘技島 = Warrior's Roost
ライオットピーク = Riot Peak

Former is the island, latter is the tower.

Just got an item I wanted from the post-game dungeon, and am about to start my Chaos platinum run despite my initial plans to leave it until after Vesperia's Unknown plat run. thanks guys. Slightly worried though because I seem to have become way too rusty, gonna need to adjust quickly.

Astra

Well, beat my first "boss". It was (very early spoiler)
Bryce
, and he was pretty easy, even on Hard. Major step up from the throwaway enemies, and he hit pretty hard, but not too bad overall. Still not fully accustomed to the battle system, yet, but pretty much there. Still experimenting. Looking forward to the adult portion, so I'll have access to the B-Artes.

Top Bottom