• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Thats it for today. :) When do you get to play the card game?
Chapter 4 in Sable Izole. Talk to the dude with the smiley face.

The card game isn't really all that like Triple Triad, and the AI can be a bit of a jerk on the hard mode for the card game, but I know you want the Yuri costume. IIRC, you just need to finish easy mode for the card game (the card game has three difficulties and you win a costume for each completed difficulty).

Enough about Carta Card; the better minigame was Pascal's cube puzzle.

Yeah, once you get used to it, you find it's much more fun than Attack button x 3 -> Basic Arte -> Arcane Arte -> repeat.
This.

I'm glad you guys are enjoying it. I got the game, but I'll not be playing it any time soon, unfortunately.

Likewise. Sucks because I've been waiting so long for it (had the Japanese demo on my PS3 for what seems like years now). But I'm still in the middle of Tales of the Abyss 3D as well as like five other games, and I just can't start another Tales until I at least finish Abyss.

Oh well, gonna go log more time into Rayman Origins.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hrm ... thought it was 200/300 battles for Evil/Chaos. Looks like that's not the case. Wanted to do Evil before the
Bryce
fight. Oh well. Guess I'll grindan some more and get Evil before the end of
childhood

Also, that sad moment when I realized that Cheria isn't the main female. I hope I like Sophie more later... :(
It is. 200 fights on Hard for Evil and then 300 on Evil for Chaos. Did you change the difficulty in the menu?

RPG Crazied said:
Thanks! Do you need to find all the cards yourself? I just found 1 so far of
Stahn
Yes. You need 10 to play easy mode, 20 for normal mode, and 25 to play hard mode.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sorry for all the questions. :p Can you miss some, how many do you need to find for the costumes?
No prob, lol.

10 for Easy Mode (Yuri Costume - Asbel)
20 for Normal Mode (Patty Costume - Sophie)
25 for Hard Mode (Rita Costume - Cheria)

Yeah, some of the cards can be found in the sparklies, but you may have noticed that they're randomly generated. They aren't missable, though. You can return to the fields any time to look for them. Some of the cards can also be bought from shops once you've levelled up your stamp cards to typically levels 6-7.

Aeana

Likewise. Sucks because I've been waiting so long for it (had the Japanese demo on my PS3 for what seems like years now). But I'm still in the middle of Tales of the Abyss 3D as well as like five other games, and I just can't start another Tales until I at least finish Abyss.

Oh well, gonna go log more time into Rayman Origins.

I've just got no time to play anything, and the little bit of time I do get is going to go toward stuff I haven't played yet. But hopefully I'll do Graces F during downtime eventually.

RPGCrazied

I guess there is no way to re-fight bosses? I've been switching the game to easy when I hit a save point, cause I have no clue if its a boss or not. I really want those trophies for the 1 minute kills. I only have 1 so far, lol.

Negator

I guess there is no way to re-fight bosses? I've been switching the game to easy when I hit a save point, cause I have no clue if its a boss or not. I really want those trophies for the 1 minute kills. I only have 1 so far, lol.

I have about 8 or 9 save points. I'm just making a new save after every boss.

Holy shit I'm confused. I just beat this confusing dungeon where I have to go on these moving platforms, and after a couple cutscenes in this other town, I have to go back to the dungeon AGAIN to get into this other place. I have no idea where I'm supposed to go now, and I've searched that whole dungeon head to toe, and I end up going in circles.

Has anyone else gotten that far yet?

Verelios

Damn, I just keep sidestepping, and I realize that I like backstep alot more than Sidestepping anyway. Both of them together though? Oh lordy~

Loving the child arc though, aside from the grating voices. Also, my roomie is looking at me like I'm some kind of weaboo pedophilic deviant. Must say I cannot blame him while going through the dialogue. But combat; goddamn, that combat. After 30 minutes of watching, he jumped right in.

Did anyone else just feel sick at the OP? It was just grating, and not at all what I expected from a Tales OP. I mean, looking at things like Eternia, Symphonia, Abyss to an extent, hell, even Legendia had a kick ass OP, this one was just...bad. Really, really bad.

Makes me long for my Wii copy.

Zabuza

Banned
Only an hour and 40 minutes in so far, but I'm enjoying myself. I'm not the biggest fan of this childhood arc, but it's ok. Combat system seems like it could get really deep.

Platinuming this seems like a chore though. Good thing there's always a second playthrough!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Holy shit I'm confused. I just beat this confusing dungeon where I have to go on these moving platforms, and after a couple cutscenes in this other town, I have to go back to the dungeon AGAIN to get into this other place. I have no idea where I'm supposed to go now, and I've searched that whole dungeon head to toe, and I end up going in circles.

Has anyone else gotten that far yet?
That dungeon sucked, right? I hate that place.

You know from where you first exited the dungeon when you had to go to the town of Grelside before? Go back there, and then north here. Take the warp to get to Wallbridge.

But before you do that, go back to Grelside and go out of the Western exit to Grelside Road. Keep travelling on it, and you're looking to
meet a few bandits to get Pascal's first Blast Caliber

RPGCrazied

Oh wow. There is already DLC on the store to buy. It looks like costumes you can already get in the game, but just early. Items and other stuff. Sad to say the costumes I want, aren't there.

This must be old news to most, but not me.

Actually surprised to see some sort of DLC on the PSN store already. Granted it's just random unlocking stuff like in Vesperia 360 but still a start!

Platinuming this seems like a chore though. Good thing there's always a second playthrough!

It's actually the easiest out of the 3, as there's no trophies for skits/subevents/etc, nor for completing any of the books like there in in Vesperia and Xillia. The majority of the trophies are either title (getting 100 for each character'll get you all of them), extra bosses or story progression related, and then there's the "Beat the final boss on x difficulty" which is just a case of keeping a save right before it and switching difficulty to get each of them. The hardest ones by far are the Eres Pot and Gentleman ones, which even then aren't terrible by the set Tales trophy standards.

RPGCrazied

Well, from that Namco rep on that website I posted said:

Namco Bandai is planning post-launch download content for Tales of Graces F including “special character costumes and accessories.” Confirmed so far are costumes based on past games in the Tales series, as well as others based on “various themes.” Certain costumes will give characters stat boosts and access to classic Tales series battle music.

"Various themes", wouldn't that be from other universe's?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Do I need to do anything extra in order for the inn requests to appear or do they appear as you progress through the game?

Do I need to do anything extra in order for the inn requests to appear or do they appear as you progress through the game?

Some appear as you complete others, but yeah story progression is what makes most of them appear. Sometimes it only takes as much as going to the next town to make others unlock in older areas.

Dandruff5

Neo Member
Got my copy in the mail from Newegg today!

I'm so torn. My current open games are Tales of the Abyss 3D, Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2, and now Tales of Graces f.

TotA is my first Tales game and I'm rather enjoying it so far, so I can't wait to dive into this game...

kewlmyc

Really enjoying it so far, only one question so far. When it comes to skills, how do you know if it is permanent or if it is only if you have the appropriate title equipped?

Zabuza

Banned
It's actually the easiest out of the 3, as there's no trophies for skits/subevents/etc, nor for completing any of the books like there in in Vesperia and Xillia. The majority of the trophies are either title (getting 100 for each character'll get you all of them), extra bosses or story progression related, and then there's the "Beat the final boss on x difficulty" which is just a case of keeping a save right before it and switching difficulty to get each of them. The hardest ones by far are the Eres Pot and Gentleman ones, which even then aren't terrible by the set Tales trophy standards.
Yeah I hope to get it, it's just if a game doesn't really interest me, and even sometimes if I love the game, I don't get the platinum. But I consider myself a big Tales fan and will gun for this plat!

Played for the last few hours some more. The amount of titles you get is pretty damn overwhelming. I got like 7 in a span of 10 minutes. Hard to decide what to level up in priority.

Reallllllllllly enjoying the game.

FSLink

Banned
Yesss....finally beat that stupid (boss spoilers)
Queen Slime
. Hated fighting it in the Japanese version, still hate it now.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Tell Namco to hurry up and put the Harold, Flynn, Zelos, and Leon costumes up. I use that music to grind when I'm not using my laptop as a substitute.

Looks like the dualization glitch was fixed in this version. LOL, guess I can't shortcut my way through the English version. I'll just dualize a buncha stuff in Future Arc and level up the stamp cards after that, then. Not a biggie.

Glad everyone's enjoying it. :)

kewlmyc said:
Really enjoying it so far, only one question so far. When it comes to skills, how do you know if it is permanent or if it is only if you have the appropriate title equipped?
When you learn skills and attacks from the title (ie: when you level the title up and it says, "____ learned [this skill/this status boost]!), they're permanently learned. It's just when you switch the title, you're not going to have access to the title's innate attribute anymore. Each title has its own certain attribute which only has an effect if you have them equipped (ex: the title would offer poison resistance if it's equipped. Unequip it and you won't have access to the poison resistance).

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
I'm curious on how Namco will price the DLC costumes here. I don't see many people buying all of them for $5 each.

scy

Huh. The end of the first arc was a lot different than what I was expecting.

It is. 200 fights on Hard for Evil and then 300 on Evil for Chaos. Did you change the difficulty in the menu?

Looks like it's just that you can't do Evil/Chaos during the childhood arc. I can switch fine once I left it (~270 battles).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Huh. The end of the first arc was a lot different than what I was expecting.

Looks like it's just that you can't do Evil/Chaos during the childhood arc. I can switch fine once I left it (~270 battles).
Huh. I swore I saw people saying they could do it in the JP version (I didn't unlock them until Adulthood because I wanted to get to the B-artes). Ah well, doesn't matter. At least you're on a roll.

I like how the Adult arc opens up. How were you expecting the childhood arc to end?

kayos90 said:
My gosh David Vincent. You are so freaking awesome. Richard is ten times better because of it.
Did you get to Richard's famous scene yet?

Kincaido said:
I'm curious on how Namco will price the DLC costumes here. I don't see many people buying all of them for $5 each.
They'd be insane to price them that high over here. Especially since FFXIII-2's costumes are like $3.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Did you get to Richard's famous scene yet?

Too many awesome things about Richard. You have to describe it to me. I've already seen FABULOUS, if that's what you mean.
Now that I think about it, I really wish David Vincent voiced Lelouch in CG. I really do....

scy

Huh. I swore I saw people saying they could do it in the JP version (I didn't unlock them until Adulthood because I wanted to get to the B-artes). Ah well, doesn't matter. At least you're on a roll.

I like how the Adult arc opens up. How were you expecting the childhood arc to end?

Well,
I expected Aston to die and that being the catalyst for getting Asbel into the Knights and Hubert off wherever. And, y'know, no Sophie exploding

I'm tired (+ work tomorrow) so I guess I won't get Chaos unlocked tonight. Sad day :(

Edit: That said, I'm enjoying basically every character so far so I think figuring out my final four (/two, since I doubt I'll not use Abel and Cheria, MC + favoritism and all). Oh dear...

Really enjoying the game so far. Love the story even if I saw some people saying its not as good as the other games. Really what I was expecting from a Tales game.

kewlmyc

When you learn skills and attacks from the title (ie: when you level the title up and it says, "____ learned [this skill/this status boost]!), they're permanently learned. It's just when you switch the title, you're not going to have access to the title's innate attribute anymore. Each title has its own certain attribute which only has an effect if you have them equipped (ex: the title would offer poison resistance if it's equipped. Unequip it and you won't have access to the poison resistance).

Okay, thanks.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
So you can earn five skills per title BUT once I do that, it starts trying to fill up some crazy-fat bar. Like I maxed out the first title then it started a new bar that was 450 points. What happens when you fill THAT up?

Dresden

Is there a list of what costumes are available for Sophie right now, DLC-wise? Hopefully with something that changes the hair?

So for an extremely minor character, boy do I hate Turtlez. Not sure how they were in the Japanese version so my hate might extend to both versions, but I already hate how Namco localized it, and I just saw my first one.

I really did expect the story to be a lot worse from all the warnings. Maybe it goes to shit later or something but so far it's not bad at alllllll.

Top Bottom