• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

So you can earn five skills per title BUT once I do that, it starts trying to fill up some crazy-fat bar. Like I maxed out the first title then it started a new bar that was 450 points. What happens when you fill THAT up?

At that point you're mastering the title, which just increases the potency of the effect it has when equipped. I.e if you master a title with +4% to defence, it'll increase to +8%.

I really did expect the story to be a lot worse from all the warnings. Maybe it goes to shit later or something but so far it's not bad at alllllll.

It most definitely doesn't. If you're liking it now you'll like the later stuff even more, just don't expect a masterpiece of storytelling or whatever, which is what most people seem to expect with RPGs these days.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Too many awesome things about Richard. You have to describe it to me. I've already seen FABULOUS, if that's what you mean.
Now that I think about it, I really wish David Vincent voiced Lelouch in CG. I really do....
The
TOMODACHI...IIIIIIIIIIII
scene. Ah, I guess you're not that far in yet.

Well,
I expected Aston to die and that being the catalyst for getting Asbel into the Knights and Hubert off wherever. And, y'know, no Sophie exploding

I'm tired (+ work tomorrow) so I guess I won't get Chaos unlocked tonight. Sad day :(

Edit: That said, I'm enjoying basically every character so far so I think figuring out my final four (/two, since I doubt I'll not use Abel and Cheria, MC + favoritism and all). Oh dear...
That's sort of what I thought was supposed to happen when I first played the game too, actually.

And everyone is really fun to use manually, especially Hubert, Asbel, and Cheria (imo).

dakkumauji said:
So for an extremely minor character, boy do I hate Turtlez. Not sure how they were in the Japanese version so my hate might extend to both versions, but I already hate how Namco localized it, and I just saw my first one.
Itz so extreme, isn't it? You couldn't expect them to keep it as "Kamenin Merchant". I suppose it's done to mirror Katz?

I kinda stopped paying attention to what they said after a while since all they do is sell me stuff or ferry me around.

Astra

I got my ass handed to me by that
Nova Wolf
early in the adult portion. The plus side of that battle is, it's basically a forced crash course in the battle system, side-stepping, using healing items at the proper times etc. If playing on Hard, anyway.

It most definitely doesn't. If you're liking it now you'll like the later stuff even more, just don't expect a masterpiece of storytelling or whatever, which is what most people seem to expect with RPGs these days.
that's good to hear, and I know what to expect with tales games, call me crazy but I'm enjoying this story more than symphonia. Or from what I can remember of it.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I can't grasp battle system. I tried so hard to make 4 arte combo or nice combo but I can't. I ran out of CC so fast that I can't even make any combo.

Also I checked my Discovery Book. Apparently I missed first one so what was it?

Eusis

I imagine the story just ends up fairly generic, but not really BAD. May be executed/translated well enough to raise a few notches higher though.

Loto

I can't grasp battle system. I tried so hard to make 4 arte combo or nice combo but I can't. I ran out of CC so fast that I can't even make any combo.

the apple tree?

Played for a couple hours tonight, me gusta!

I really did expect the story to be a lot worse from all the warnings. Maybe it goes to shit later or something but so far it's not bad at alllllll.

I'm 3 hours in and enjoying the story quite a bit as well. Actually I'm enjoying all aspects of the game. I'm really sucked in, which hasn't happened for me with an RPG since Vesperia. I hope the game keeps me engaged and that they announce Xillia coming west real soon.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

You'll get used to the timing eventually so that you can get CC bonuses or an instant CC refill/extension, but if you're trying to pull off some heavy-handed combos in child arc with a small amount of CC and it's your first time playing through, it might feel difficult. Try using Sophie as the first character manually or levelling up Asbel's titles for more artes to connect.

You'll feel like you'll be able to do this stuff better when you're in Adult Arc.

I'm loving the game so far. Probably most shocked by the localization--I was worried this would be some disaster.
Super-glad you like it. And I haven't experienced a bad 8-4 localization before. :lol

Reveirg

So good. SO GOOD.

~3-4 hours in. The beginning of the adult part is definitely a step up. And the game is a lesson in how to make great and addictive RPG auxiliary systems. You guys weren't kidding.

Voice acting is actually really good. Sound mixing is spot-on (which should be a given for HD titles, but it's not always the case unfortunately...). I'm really disappointed with the music though.

Can't wait to continue playing tomorrow!

Astra

Fun game so far.

Also, Lisa needs Graces.

Hah, I chuckled. Also read it in Marge's voice.

Had to take a break from Graces because my headphones died. 7 hours of playtime they last! Though I haven't actually been playing for that long, I left it idle a lot, and forgot to switch the headphones off. Still, think I put 5 or so hours in today so far.

I love the skit style in this game, as opposed to the portrait style of previous English releases.

iqubal

Banned
I really want to support Tales, but just can't bring myself to buying this game. I absolutely hate the art style. It just looks too kiddy and girly. Instead I picked up Tales of Abyss for the 3ds haha. Maybe down the road,i'll consider it. Did anyone else hate the way the game looked, but ended up still enjoying it?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Played for 5 hours today. I miss
Sophie already and I just finished the child arc
. I hope we meet later or something is done to tie that up.

I really want to support Tales, but just can't bring myself to buying this game. I absolutely hate the art style. It just looks too kiddy and girly.

ange%20drinking%20milk.png

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I really want to support Tales, but just can't bring myself to buying this game. I absolutely hate the art style. It just looks too kiddy and girly. Instead I picked up Tales of Abyss for the 3ds haha. Maybe down the road,i'll consider it. Did anyone else hate the way the game looked, but ended up still enjoying it?
It's your money but you chose horribly wrong.

Jiraiza

Not sure how you can buy Abyss and not like Graces's artstyle. You strange fellow, you.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I can say the characters so far aren't annoying or illogical at all. That's definitely something.

Really? This is like one of the more happy-go-lucky tales games. rofl. At least I thought so.

Yup, definitely agree there. Especially once you get a bit further in and there's just a bunch of scenes and skits that're hilarious, mainly thanks to Pascal :3 and 教官/Malik (can't stop myself from typing the former).

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
They call him Captain, Schala. Just so you know.

Everyone sort of getting how the battle system in Graces is a bit different from Vesperia and Abyss?

RPGCrazied

I'm curious on how Namco will price the DLC costumes here. I don't see many people buying all of them for $5 each.

There is already costumes on the store now for $1.99 for 2. But they are attainable in game. Looks like the formal and swimsuit ones. I guess you can get it way early, but fuck that. lol

I feel like I should cheese the boss fights by lowering the difficulty. Or at least not try them at the hardest difficulty I have or otherwise I'm probably going to go poor from buying life bottles.

branny

Super-glad you like it. And I haven't experienced a bad 8-4 localization before. :lol
Oh crap, no wonder. I wasn't sure they were doing this one. The worry came from not really hearing much about the English version aside from a few screenshots released here and there, haha.

Everyone sort of getting how the battle system in Graces is a bit different from Vesperia and Abyss?
Yeah, I can't wait until later when I'm sure things will open up a lot more. There were some really great things with Vesperia's endgame, like those amazing dragoon-esque Judith air combos and that crazy spell-canceling with Rita. This system is totally different, but I have high hopes.

Really enjoying this so far. Only an hour and a half or so into it (because I had to stop to play my Madden league game), but the battle system is nifty so far. I'm sure I am just making a mockery of it at this point, but I'm learning! Typical Tales story so far, no real surprises. But maybe the game will FF7 me with a shocker? I doubt it, but I can hope

The combat tutorials get increasingly detailed, yes? Or should I be reading about how it works outside of the game to get the most out of it?

kewlmyc

God fucking dammit. I've been fighting the
Queen Slime
on hard for an hour now. Anyone have any tips to beat her? I'm about to punch my monitor in rage.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
This game kinda feels like Star Ocean 2 because of the item creation and collecting.

Ah~~~

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
God fucking dammit. I've been fighting the
Queen Slime
on hard for an hour now. Anyone have any tips to beat her? I'm about to punch my monitor in rage.

Kill the first two little then beat the big one. Learn the timing for the dodge so you can keep punishing it. Once it makes 4 then beat the 4 as fast as you can and rinse and repeat. If it seems impossible then level up.

vall03

finally got home and thank god I have nothing to do for the rest of the day! Game is now installing, will eat while waiting.

Top Bottom