• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

A question... How do you request the computer characters to do artes like First Aid? When I go to the Artes menu, it only shows their physical attacks...

(Also, I really like all the PS1 Tales music... I listen to PS1 Phantasia music a lot more than I should, for instance.)

Played for a few hours. Kind of conflicted on the CC system. Might like the MP style better. Ah well, probably just need a while to get used to it.

Not much to say about the story. It's pretty standard so far. Though Cheria is hella depressing.
"I hope I get to be a grown-up"
0_o

Edgeward

I hear ya, lol. I did buy the Double SP addon. Best $$$ spent.

Argh, I think I'm gonna cave and get that add-on. I'm sorry GAF, but my enthusiasm is just too much and I always hated the grind needed to sate my completionist ways.

This battle system is great, completely surprised how much depth there is too it and yet simplified in controls. It even looks like I could hook up my arcade stick to this since the right stick doesn't seemed to be used for anything.

Double SP add on + zillions of titles being hurled at you with all these great sounding things = genius by scamco.

I wouldn't do it since the grind is half the fun for me, but it's smart.

Double SP add on + zillions of titles being hurled at you with all these great sounding things = genius by scamco.

I wouldn't do it since the grind is half the fun for me, but it's smart.

It would only really be needed for people who aren't that good at the game, if you can bump things up to hard or evil the game throws you SP in such absorbent amounts it's not even funny.

I don't see it... Only the regular strategy stuff.

Similarly, I don't know how to heal while playing as Sophie.

If you are in the child arc you can't heal if you play as Sophie, one you get to the adult arc you'll be able to customize B-artes, that's how you heal with her.

Bladenic

Alright, the UPS finally brought it and I played 5:30 hours straight, terrible decision but oh well. Just fought
the tank boss after Sophie comes back.
Impressions:

Graphics - Quite pretty so far. I was expecting a lot worse. The characters themselves look the worst up close, but backgrounds and battles look great. Impressed, I must say.

Music/VA - The VA is great so far. Laura Bailey is killing it as Cheria, and I love Malik. Music is alright so far, the town themes are good and the battle theme is aight. Nothing special so far though.

Gameplay - Jesus, there is so much to this game! Seriously, there are so many subsystems and so many things you can do it's insane. Despite playing the demo, the battle system still took a bit of adjusting to honestly. Definitely do not miss TP now though. Switching between Moderate and Hard, enemies are cake on Moderate but bosses are quite tough on Hard. Regardless, LOVING it.

Story/Characters - The story is actually pretty interesting and intriguing so far. The start was slow to be sure, but I definitely wanna see what happens and what the explanations are for some of the events. Characters are likable so far. Though none of them compare to Yuri, or Vesperia's cast in general, for me. Doubt they will ever be usurped as my fav Tales crew. I really like Malik so far though, and Cheria and Asbel are good too.

Overall - I've missed this so much. This is the first Tales I've experienced in English since 2008, almost four years ago. It feels really nice to get back to the series (that I can understand) after so long. I'm loving it. Can't wait to play more.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
If you are in the child arc you can't heal if you play as Sophie, one you get to the adult arc you'll be able to customize B-artes, that's how you heal with her.
You can. Hold circle and switch to the appropriate target with the left analog if she's not healing the person you want to heal, then release the button to cast. First Aid is her only B-arte at that point so go wild with it.

How's everyone liking the battle system so far? I'm starting to think kayos was right in going with his choice for the OP title over mine given some of the posts in here. :lol

And uh, you guys know you can raid people's houses for stuff in their cupboards and drawers, right? One of my friends had no idea he could do that until I told him, which was odd.

Thoraxes

You can. Hold circle and switch to the appropriate target with the left analog if she's not healing the person you want to heal, then release the button to cast. First Aid is her only B-arte at that point so go wild with it.

How's everyone liking the battle system so far? I'm starting to think kayos was right in going with his choice for the OP title over mine given some of the posts in here. :lol

And uh, you guys know you can raid people's houses for stuff in their cupboards and drawers, right? One of my friends had no idea he could do that until I told him, which was odd.

Man, you have no idea how many pie crusts i've stolen from old people.

Also, I love this battle system. It's soooooooooo gooooooooood! I hate fighting games because I can't keep up with them and combos and everything, but I can chain like a mofo and just feel like a badass in this with how fluid and approachable everything is.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Just beat
Kurt.
I'm coming along pretty well. Already level 45 and I'm about 19 hours in. So far so good.

Negator

So, are Discoveries missable? I really don't want to miss something important.

I'm missing 15, 22, 25, 26, 28, 37 and I'm up to 48.

I'm just about to
enter Zavhert

Mr.Fresh

I'm missing 15, 22, 25, 26, 28, 37 and I'm up to 48.

I'm just about to
enter Zavhert

Idk if there missable but i know where 25 is. im up to 36 and have them all so far.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
The childhood monster soul orbs missable? I just found out about them and I
sneak into the castle
next

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The discoveries themselves--from what I hear (I didn't miss any since they were sorta... obvious + JP wiki was helpful)--are not missable. The skits associated with them are. You get a title from getting all discoveries.

Just beat
Kurt.
I'm coming along pretty well. Already level 45 and I'm about 19 hours in. So far so good.
Oh, do tell me if Hubert's Blast Calibers sound as cool in English.

On that note, tell me if Asbel's Blast Calibers in English sound as cool as Takahiro Sakurai voicing them in Japanese. :3 (Probably not)

The childhood monster soul orbs missable? I just found out about them and I
sneak into the castle
next
No; you can still encounter childhood enemies afterwards. Soul Orbs are worth grade, btw, while we're on the subject.

Man, you have no idea how many pie crusts i've stolen from old people.

Also, I love this battle system. It's soooooooooo gooooooooood! I hate fighting games because I can't keep up with them and combos and everything, but I can chain like a mofo and just feel like a badass in this with how fluid and approachable everything is.
Pfft. They don't need their pie crusts or their pasta or their eggs. We're on an ADVENTURE.

Also, glad to hear people are enjoying the system. That's one of the things I liked most about it--it was approachable, but it feels a little complex when you dig in a little.

vall03

well, that sucks, I beat him on Hard and even lowered it to Easy just to see if it will be different, *sigh* oh well, theres always a payback time!

Adamm

Videogamesplus have shipped mine this morning & I only ordered it yesterday. Should have ordered from there at the start, i might have already been playing it!

Screw you planetaxel!

All English. Just you will have DLC incompatibility if you ever decide to buy costumes.

I've seen some reports on GameFAQs that the US DLC is compatible with the Asia version. I bought it anyway, was only $49 at mariio128, so in a couple of weeks I'll be sure. The free DLC from US PSN is already installed here.

Synless

I finally got my copy yesterday and got to check it out today. First thing I noticed is that they had some issues deciding on the eye colors of the characters. The front cover has a few different colored sets of eyes than the ones in the instruction book, which has different colors from the anime cutscenes.

Ultratech

Watched a stream of it yesterday. I gotta say, I like the dialouge so far.

Also, Pascal is the best character by far. lol

Anywho, some of the skits in the
Rockgagong
were pretty funny. Epecially the one where they find some treasure, and Pascal goes on about
how the Rockgagong probably ate other treasure, went BRAGGH, and then crapped it out.
And the whole thing about them
trying to escape through the butt and Cheria freaking out. Pascal was way too excited about being eaten.

Also, I had to laugh at some of the references when you meet the guy with the Book of Rare Monsters.

Negator

Holy hell,
Kurt
is just absolutely destroying me, it doesn't even feel like there's a shred of hope with this fight. He just runs away from me and combos one of my characters to death.

Pure insanity. I tried doing it on easy for the 1 minute trophy and it took me three minutes!

Guess I should call it a night. (Been playing through on Moderate)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
uh yeah, I don't even know what's going on with the story anymore, SKIPPING EVERYTHING. :D

Too bad though, the characterization is pretty good in my opinion.

Bladenic

So I just destroyed
Queen Slime on Hard. I was expecting the fight to be much harder, but I had Poison charms on both Sophie and Asbel and Cheria never seemed to get poisoned much. The boss itself was cake, it was the other slimes who were trouble, especially when they all thought it would be fun to gang up on Cheria. But I only had two deaths, one as me as Asbel when the queen slammed on the ground and on Cheria due to the slimes. Pretty easy battle, even on Hard.
Love this game.

Stuck on the Slime Queen on Moderate. It is so easy to get stun-locked in this game, it's ridiculous.
at that time I was playing it on normal and I found that boss to be so easy, not sure what the hoopla was about. I only had one poison charm as well, and it wasn't on asbel or sophie lol.

Maybe I was just a higher level going into it or something. Didn't grind a ton but I definitely did a bit.

MechaX

at that time I was playing it on normal and I found that boss to be so easy, not sure what the hoopla was about. I only had one poison charm as well, and it wasn't on asbel or sophie lol.

Maybe I was just a higher level going into it or something. Didn't grind a ton but I definitely did a bit.

Just beat it. My main problem was Sophie and Cheria just running in and getting themselves killed (even with strategy adjustments). I also did not notice that the little slimes were weak to A-Artes, so getting a lucky Eleth Break towards the end definitely helped.

Top Bottom