• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Oh, do tell me if Hubert's Blast Calibers sound as cool in English.

Hubert sounds pretty good. Not as good as Japanese but still pretty good. I've yet to get 2 and 3. 4 sounds really bad though imo. Sakurai is going to beat all the english BCs regardless, rofl. He's just that good. So yeah, English Asbel not as good.

When you finally
get Richard, and the full team to use.

How far am I? I just got to Zevhart Capital.

Pretty far in. I'd say at least the halfway point.

27 hours so far since tuesday and on track for the platinum trophy, about to pick it back up. I just have to say that getting the x boss in 60 seconds while playing on hard is a severe exercise in frustration but I am to stubborn to change it to a lower difficulty for those battles. Seeing 64 seconds so many times makes me want to pull my hair out.

BY2K

Membero Americo
This weak point stuff in the game is confusing, I'm doing something wrong I'm sure. Even when sometimes I hit a boss with his weak point, he just seems to take the whole shot and won't stagger.

But on the other side, CC is SO much better than TP.

kayos90

This weak point stuff in the game is confusing, I'm doing something wrong I'm sure. Even when sometimes I hit a boss with his weak point, he just seems to take the whole shot and won't stagger.

But on the other side, CC is SO much better than TP.

Stagger is based on accuracy and weak points. If you're accuracy isn't good enough it'll hit but not stagger the enemy. This become especially annoying on bosses. When it doubt, charge your critical meter by guarding then combo him.

RPGCrazied

Hubert sounds pretty good. Not as good as Japanese but still pretty good. I've yet to get 2 and 3. 4 sounds really bad though imo. Sakurai is going to beat all the english BCs regardless, rofl. He's just that good. So yeah, English Asbel not as good.

Pretty far in. I'd say at least the halfway point.

Thanks. I figured it was about halfway. I have 21 hours on my clock. Is that with the F arc included or without?

Just beat it. My main problem was Sophie and Cheria just running in and getting themselves killed (even with strategy adjustments). I also did not notice that the little slimes were weak to A-Artes, so getting a lucky Eleth Break towards the end definitely helped.

I'd say "your allies being dumb" is probably what makes this game most difficult for me on evil. They seem to love to run into AOE spell effects
This was especially annoying fighting Richard in Lhant because his Shade Impulse was a OHKO and I watched Sophie and Hubert twice run into the spell after it had cast >_<
My characters in particular seem to like to bunch together whenever a boss gets their ethel burst and get stomped by mystic artes.

RPGCrazied

Without. The future arc isn't even that long. It'll take at most 10 hours. I beat it in 5.

Cool. I'll try to go slower. I probably won't platinum this game, at least not this play-through. I've already switched the difficulty, so beat the game on moderate and evil is out. Unless all that means is beat the final boss at that certain difficulty? Also, the last 2 bosses I couldn't beat in 60secs.

you only have to beat the last boss on each difficulty for those trophys, can just keep a save right at him and beat it once on each one.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Modern JRPGs have destroyed our instinct to explore. :(

Save us, Graces F!
I was honestly shocked to know that this person didn't know he could explore in this game. I guess a lot of games don't let you do that sort of thing anymore?

As long as Instant Valse is still cool. The other BCs need to be cool, though, but I'm not really worried since I like English Hubert's voice.

And yeah... uh, saw some of English Asbel's BCs and he's definitely not as good as Sakurai. I'm sad now. :|

Cool. I'll try to go slower. I probably won't platinum this game, at least not this play-through. I've already switched the difficulty, so beat the game on moderate and evil is out. Unless all that means is beat the final boss at that certain difficulty? Also, the last 2 bosses I couldn't beat in 60secs.
Correct. Just beat the final boss on Moderate/Hard/Evil/Chaos and you'll get the four trophies. That's it. No playthroughs on those difficulties at all.

And yeah, if you want to have an easier go of it, wait until second playthrough and invest in 10x damage and XP multipliers.

How'd you like the main game, btw?

MechaX

Holy shit, I'm liking Richard's play-style a lot more than Asbel's.

I'm not going to keep him for that long, am I?

The game is awesome so far. Just past the Childhood Arc.

One question. Do you get yourself the standard Tales flying machine at some point in the game? It always feels so good when you get to that point...

On a different note, I hope Graces will have two or three planets or areas like in most Tales games.
Inferia-Celestia-Orbus Barrier, Sylvarant-Tethe'alla, Destiny 1 and Abyss's set-ups

Got some more time in, enjoying it more and more... starting to feel the combat system.

Finally had to admit defeat to my first road block on hard though ...
Nova Dog
... turned it down to easy just to finish it. Thought I would run into trouble before this being a Tales virgin. Glad I lasted longer than I thought I would.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Pascal is crazy and awesome.

kayos90

As long as Instant Valse is still cool. The other BCs need to be cool, though, but I'm not really worried since I like English Hubert's voice.

And yeah... uh, saw some of English Asbel's BCs and he's definitely not as good as Sakurai. I'm sad now. :|

Asbel's 4th BC, Divine Conquerer, is the best sounding from what I've heard so far. Hubert's 4 BC is the worst from what I've heard from him.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Still not done. While its not the best Tales, it's still a good one. Vesperia is still #1 in my book. I just like Yuri more than Asbel. I'm having a blast though! Heres hoping we get Xillia.
Glad you're still having fun with it. :D

I think the only one in Xillia you might come to like is Alvin (and Alvin's pretty awesome). While I like him, I don't know if a lot of people would like Jude.

As for Yuri, I liked Asbel's JP voice actor more (bearing in mind that I played Vesperia in Japanese, so my only experience with Yuri is with Kosuke Toriumi; as much as I like Toriumi, I like Sakurai better). Well, I guess I like using Asbel in battle a little more than Yuri, but that may be due to the fact that I much prefer SS-LMBS over EFR-LMBS. >.>

The game is awesome so far. Just past the Childhood Arc.

One question. Do you get yourself the standard Tales flying machine at some point in the game? It always feels so good when you get to that point...
Brief Answer:
___Yes.___

kayos90 said:
Asbel's 4th BC, Divine Conquerer, is the best sounding from what I've heard so far. Hubert's 4 BC is the worst from what I've heard from him.
Wait, Hubert's fourth BC? But it was originally pretty nice. Hm.

Mr. Wonderful said:
Yeah, though I would rank it after Karma and even Ring a Bell, which of course, was awful, but kind of catchy.
White Wishes is probably among my least favourite OP themes in the series, tbh...

scy

How's everyone liking the battle system so far? I'm starting to think kayos was right in going with his choice for the OP title over mine given some of the posts in here. :lol

Always liked the CC approach more than TP (has anyone said otherwise in the history of ever?) and it's nice to finally play one AND understand it. Hooray!

And uh, you guys know you can raid people's houses for stuff in their cupboards and drawers, right? One of my friends had no idea he could do that until I told him, which was odd.

During the childhood arc I entered a house and the elderly couple inside made comments of "What are you doing in here at this hour?" or something. I needed some bread old man! I have cooking to do!

Bladenic

Just beat it. My main problem was Sophie and Cheria just running in and getting themselves killed (even with strategy adjustments). I also did not notice that the little slimes were weak to A-Artes, so getting a lucky Eleth Break towards the end definitely helped.

Definitely pay attention to weaknesses. Also, strange about your Sophie and Cheria. I haven't messed with either of their AI settings, and they both heal extremely well. If not healing, Cheria does nothing but cast Seraphic Bolt.

Anyway currently
at Wallbridge Ruins. The shit that happened so far has been really cool, and I'm really intrigued by the story at this point. Hubert was so badass. I definitely think something's up with Richard though, his eyes seem different and that scene when Sophie touched him hinted that something's wrong with him. Also, Pascal is pretty entertaining right now. Lol at her wanting to touch Sophie.

Also love Richard's MA, though it's sort of strange that you get his before Asbel's.

Can't wait to keep playing. Oh, and SO MANY TITLES!

demonkaze

From people that have ordered from Planetaxel before, how long does it usually take games to arrive (ideally the U.K, but anywhere in the EU is fine) after shipping? My order shipped yesterday and I'm wondering how long it might be before it arrives.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Definitely pay attention to weaknesses. Also, strange about your Sophie and Cheria. I haven't messed with either of their AI settings, and they both heal extremely well. If not healing, Cheria does nothing but cast Seraphic Bolt.

Can't wait to keep playing. Oh, and SO MANY TITLES!
Yeah, I never really had problems with the AI, even when I didn't go into settings and changed what I thought they should do.

And yeah, the game gives you titles like candy in the first few chapters, lol. Especially if you're playing on higher difficulties (since the enemies have more HP, you're using more artes, thus you'll get more titles as a result; or they give your more SP).

Always liked the CC approach more than TP (has anyone said otherwise in the history of ever?) and it's nice to finally play one AND understand it. Hooray!

During the childhood arc I entered a house and the elderly couple inside made comments of "What are you doing in here at this hour?" or something. I needed some bread old man! I have cooking to do!
More people onboard the CC train is my kind of party.

Stealing things from old people. What a throwback, huh? :lol I liked talking to people during Child Arc because they sometimes gave me free ingredients and stuff.

Bladenic

Yeah, I never really had problems with the AI, even when I didn't go into settings and changed what I thought they should do.

And yeah, the game gives you titles like candy in the first few chapters, lol. Especially if you're playing on higher difficulties (since the enemies have more HP, you're using more artes, thus you'll get more titles as a result; or they give your more SP).

Stealing things from old people. What a throwback, huh? :lol I liked talking to people during Child Arc because they sometimes gave me free ingredients and stuff.

I'm playing on Hard, and it's really not difficult at this point. I doubt I'm overleveled since I haven't really grinded or anything. Actually, I need to check and see if I unlocked the next difficulty when I play again.

And I'm loving the CC system. I've played Hearts and Rebirth so I've already been exposes to non TP battle systems, though this one might be my favorite. Really eager to try Xillia now, wonder how the marriage of the two systems feels.

scy

Idle curiosity, what level were most people for the (early Adult arc spoilers)
Queen Slime fight?
By the time I unlock Chaos, I wager Asbel will be around Level 20 and I can't tell if that's over the top of not; the trash enemies in the area on Evil are already slouches at ~18.

CC is honestly the way Tales should be played; TP consumption makes a lot of the trash fights boring since you tend to not want to blow TP (and/or items to restore TP) while going from start to finish. Or maybe that's just me.

CC doesn't really have that cost between fights. So much more fun to always be able to go all out. Gives a better sense of "look, I have better stuff I can do!" since you're able to use it more frequently. Highly rewarding~

"Thanks for the free stuff from the cupboards, do you have anything to give me too?"
"Aren't you precious, here's a Tomato."

Old people, RPGs greatest source of free shit.

Astra

Queen Slime fight?
By the time I unlock Chaos, I wager Asbel will be around Level 20 and I can't tell if that's over the top of not; the trash enemies in the area on Evil are already slouches at ~18.

I haven't unlocked Evil or Chaos, yet, but I was level 16 at that boss fight, and it was very, very easy. I look forward to revisiting that battle on Chaos.

I don't think 20 will be over the top, especially if you're on Chaos. I was reading about others being at level 18 or 19 and still having a tough go of it.

Rarutos

This game seriously has the best victory banter. I find myself giggling every time I see a new one. I love this game so much. <3

BY2K

Membero Americo
Krablets. <3

This game is so goood.

And what the hell, why didn't they used "Prepare to die, Eggbear!" for Yuri's Carta?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Queen Slime fight?

CC is honestly the way Tales should be played; TP consumption makes a lot of the trash fights boring since you tend to not want to blow TP (and/or items to restore TP) while going from start to finish. Or maybe that's just me.

CC doesn't really have that cost between fights. So much more fun to always be able to go all out. Gives a better sense of "look, I have better stuff I can do!" since you're able to use it more frequently. Highly rewarding~

"Thanks for the free stuff from the cupboards, do you have anything to give me too?"
"Aren't you precious, here's a Tomato."

Old people, RPGs greatest source of free shit.
On my first playthrough on Evil, Lv 22 for Asbel. The normal enemies were fodder at that point.

No, you're certainly not alone in your feelings with regards to CC vs TP. I really dislike TP a lot. When I went to Xillia with TP, sometimes I didn't really like it because it forced me to be rather inflexible with my combat as I will outline a little below.

lol, I did my plat run for FFXIII while I started my second Graces playthrough, so having NPCs give you random stuff and raiding their homes was rather refreshing. A nice balance, I guess.

I'm playing on Hard, and it's really not difficult at this point. I doubt I'm overleveled since I haven't really grinded or anything. Actually, I need to check and see if I unlocked the next difficulty when I play again.

And I'm loving the CC system. I've played Hearts and Rebirth so I've already been exposes to non TP battle systems, though this one might be my favorite. Really eager to try Xillia now, wonder how the marriage of the two systems feels.
Xillia feels... hm. Earlier on, I felt like I ran out of TP when it came time for Link Mode sometimes. I really disliked it. It got better as the game went on, but I disliked being shackled to TP since you don't want to blow all your TP when you want to initiate a Link Arte or Link Mode in a battle (because you need to use artes to initiate Link Artes), you know what I mean? Not to mention that I'd been playing non-TP Tales games (including Keroro RPG) for a while before. I feel like TP was holding me back from unleashing the characters' full potentials. Cooking isn't as fun in Xillia either... because there is no cooking. You buy food from a restaurant.

I wrote a small post about Xillia vs Graces here, but the gist of it is that I like Graces' approach to the systems more.

And titles in Xillia suck. They're basically achievements (a few of them give you trophies so essentially the plat run for Xillia is a bunch of grinding) and have no bearing on stats.

Finally coming up for air.

Played the game for 15 hours so far over two days, that's close to a record for me. Needless to say this game is fantastic.

Alright, back to playing :)

Just won my first game of the Carta card game (Pretty cool, by the way) and got the Dark Enforcer title.

Totally didn't know about the music change.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I've found a few of these. Does the game ever give you hints to where these passwords are?
Explore the town, talk to people to gather general info, check bookshelves, learn about the region, etc.

Just won my first game of Carta Card and got the Dark Enforcer title.

Totally didn't know about the music change.
All cameo costumes/crossover costumes/school costumes change music.

The way they stack the cards kind of on top of each other in the second difficulty of the card game is a bit annoying but still managed to get the second costume in a couple try's, not looking forward to the last difficulty though. Need 4 more carta cards to unlock that one.

Bladenic

Why does Duke Dalen's name sound so familiar? Has the name been used in a Tales game before?

And I've only found two cards so far :( am I just having bad luck?

Alot of them are pretty rare drops from the gather points on fields, think there's one card obtainable per field or something like that so alot of it is luck. Aside from that you can get them from random stuff like side quests and talking to npcs or doing inn requests.

The way they stack the cards kind of on top of each other in the second difficulty of the card game is a bit annoying but still managed to get the second costume in a couple try's, not looking forward to the last difficulty though. Need 4 more carta cards to unlock that one.

The last difficulty...

The AI goes isntantly to the card...yep it's hard. DX

Edit: But I had fun doing it.

Top Bottom