• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

Since when is "hipster" an internet meme? Ask your grandparents if they know what a hipster is, and they'll answer you (the application of the term isn't that different).

What would you have put?

What's so bad about 'hipster'? It's basically been around since the 40's.

"Hipster" is a meme now...?

Tales games are known for using modern colloquial language in spite of the "fantasy" setting; there's nothing out of universe about it. There's about a thousand instances in Japanese of words that would feel very "out of universe" in other games but are accepted just fine in Tales, because that's part of what Tales is. But I'm sure you're well aware of that since you're taking this Hipster thing so hard. :p

Anyway, you can't please everyone. I hope you can manage to enjoy the game regardless of this travesty!

Let's ignore the fact that it coincides with the mass popularisation it's had on the internet for the past while, where literally everyone just throws it around to address anything they see fit, I guess. Even then, it still confuses me how you can turn "Dresser" into "Hipster" while trying to use the original meaning of the word considering what you need to do to unlock the title (which I will admit, it makes little sense in the JP version as well).

And to be honest, I'm taking it a bit harder than I was originally because you decided to throw the "weeaboo" term at me as some sort of means to devalue my opinion and get the anti-weeaboo and 8-1 defence force onto me. It's a rather disgusting and underhanded way of arguing back.

Somebody really thinks "hipster" is a meme, lol. Oh gaf, you never dissapoint.

Yeah, with posters like you around, gaf really never does disappoint.

kewlmyc

So for those who are doing the end game subevents,
do you know where Cheria and Malik's exclusive armor are? Theirs are the only ones I can't find.

do you know where Cheria and Malik's exclusive armor are? Theirs are the only ones I can't find.

Malik's is
in a hidden entrance to the left, in the room where you fight Kurt. Go all the way down to where you see a grave, watch the scene, and then the chest pops up after it.

Drawing a blank on Cheria's though. Come forth, Schala!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Aw, don't argue guys. :/

Did you do the Inn Request in Baronia where you get the Tuning Fork (find it in the Seaside Cavern in a new chest) and turn it in? Go back to Cheria's house where you'll find her Amber Vestments (I can't remember how this went; if it was given to you automatically or if you had to check her closet). And Malik's is from where you get his third Blast Caliber--in the Fendel Frost Ruins where Kurt died. On the left of that room, there's a new path. You'll find it after you approach the grave and you'll get his third Blast Caliber (chest with it comes later). It's called the Pitch Black Clothes in the JP version.

Sorry about using the JP names for everything, but I haven't gotten there in the English version.

I've only located Hubert, Pascal, and Sophie's so far myself.
For Asbel's
try checking his room back in Lhant after the last dungeon appears

Drawing a blank on Cheria's though. Come forth, Schala!
But what if I didn't know? :p

john tv

Let's ignore the fact that it coincides with the mass popularisation it's had on the internet for the past while, where literally everyone just throws it around to address anything they see fit, I guess. Even then, it still confuses me how you can turn "Dresser" into "Hipster" while trying to use the original meaning of the word considering what you need to do to unlock the title (which I will admit, it makes little sense in the JP version as well).

And to be honest, I'm taking it a bit harder than I was originally because you decided to throw the "weeaboo" term at me as some sort of means to devalue my opinion and get the anti-weeaboo and 8-1 defence force onto me. It's a rather disgusting and underhanded way of arguing back.
First, just to clear the air, I didn't call -you- a weeaboo. :) And my first comment had a :) on the end of it too. So I think you might be taking things here a bit too seriously. ;p I appreciate that you feel strongly about this stuff, actually, but calling 'emo' and especially 'hipster' "awful" also struck me as a little extreme, especially given the nature of the series. If it were a serious title like Tactics Ogre or something, those words would rip you right out of the experience (and I'd be agreeing with you), but in Tales - a game which has some of the most ridiculous situations, characters and costumes of any JRPG out there, I disagree 100%.

As for Dresser not making much sense in relation to the title, yeah...that sort of thing is ALL over the game. You can't really blame anyone; it's a byproduct of having Japanese people choosing English names using an extremely limited English vocabulary and an even smaller understanding of what those limited words even mean. If we translated all of the titles literally, like half of them would've been nonsensical crap. So we work with the dev team to maintain the image they were shooting for but to come up with stuff that sounds better in English. In the case of this, for whatever reason they were aiming for a title that reflected the character's appearance. "Rainbow-haired Dirtbag" was probably not the best idea (we like Pascal, after all!), so we went with Hipster, which pretty well matches her image and personality. It had nothing to do with internet memes or anything else.

It's easy to nitpick localization choices, and like I said, you can't please everyone, but please don't assume we just threw that in there for a cheap laugh. :)

kewlmyc

Holy crap, the
play at Velanik when you collect all the princess books is pretty damn hilarious. Also Malik is a troll.

RPGCrazied

I'm almost 40 hours, and I haven't hit the F arc yet. Though I think I'm really close to the last dungeon, or maybe I already am. Just doing inn requests right now.

Is Asbel strongest weapon
Excalibur? I just did the quest and got it fixed.

What about the others? Specially Hubert's and Malik? Though I did get a bad ass one for Malik
for fighting a green dragon in Barona.
. I had to use an All-Divide for him. :( The red one seems harder, even with an All-Divide. Got my ass kicked. haha

Goli

I got this the day after release and I've been playing it whenever I find some free time, currently I'm at that part where you
fight Cedric
. I started the game on Hard and I moved on to Evil as soon as I unlocked it and I've not had much trouble except in boss fights where I generally have Asbel and Richard go all out using A artes while Sophie and Cheria heal all the time. While this worked for previous bosses it doesn't seem to work at the this particular boss fight...
Does anyone have tips?
Everyone is around level 30 or so.

scy

Wow, that was really dumb.

Wait until you get elsewhere. They throw SP at you like crazy.

I grind every area for the Soul Orbs. Just don't feel "right" until I've gotten them.

Some of the performances are unusually... flat, especially since the voice actors have done a better job in other games or anime.

The cutscene dialogue

is the worst because

they speak like this.

Or at least Richard did. It's like he was waiting for the subtitles to appear before speaking his line. Most the rest of the cast seems fine, though Asbel does seem a bit bland recently (and Cheria livened up a bit
after her livening up as part of the plot; kind of wished her combat voice did too

"Rainbow-haired Dirtbag" was probably not the best idea (we like Pascal, after all!), so we went with Hipster, which pretty well matches her image and personality. It had nothing to do with internet memes or anything else.

While it wouldn't have fit the rest of the titles, I was a little surprised it wasn't "Airhead" after her Airhead victory celebration dialogue. Odd though that both Sophie and Cheria just have Fashionista for theirs. Maybe the third diverges?

Aeana

No, you could have put some actual effort into your work instead of being half-assed and choosing to appease the "omg epic meme bro XD" people instead. There's nothing "weeaboo" about disliking the use of shitty internet memes in professional localisations, especially when they're out of universe and just don't fit at all. I know you're trying to rally your fans here with a post like that, but the fact is you did a terrible job on that, get over it.

The first appearance of "hipster" is from 1941.
I didn't know they had the internet back then.

Ties

Banned
Don't know about the first one question because I haven't dualized my weapons at all (but I really should considering that I'm playing on Evil).

But for your latter question, I simply turn the difficulty up.

farnham

Banned
whats the recommended level for the boss ?
i just faced lambda and emraude in the cocoon with level 50 and it was hard. I constantly lost to normal enemies too.

Ties

Banned
I'm going to assume you're on Normal then. :p

Definitely high 50s, maybe low 60s if you're having a difficult time with the boss. The boss is not easy at all, so be prepared.

CrazyDude

Is there a way to change the camera so that it is close to my character when in battle? It's too far away from my character and a lot of times I can't see him when he is close to the border of the map.

Ties

Banned
Is there a way to change the camera so that it is close to my character when in battle? It's too far away from my character and a lot of times I can't see him when he is close to the border of the map.
Yes.

Go to Menu, Options, then scroll down to Battle Camera. Then set it to "Target". It should now focus on the player character and the monster s/he is targeting.
I'm so underleveled. I can't even beat
Richard's uncle
on normal.
Have you been leveling your Titles appropriately? And yes, he gave me a fair bit of trouble as well my first time. All you have to do is target his weakness (which should stagger him) then wombo combo him.

Yes.

Go to Menu, Options, then scroll down to Battle Camera. Then set it to "Target". It should now focus on the player character and the monster s/he is targeting.
Have you been leveling your Titles appropriately? And yes, he gave me a fair bit of trouble as well my first time. All you have to do is target his weakness (which should stagger him) then wombo combo him.

Not really. I've been skipping alot of fights. I'm like level 13 or 14. That's probably really low.

Holy crap. That's.... really low. You should at least be in or around level 20 when you're fighting him. If you have any spare Dark Bottles, go out and grind!

What do you mean?

Like when you draw your sword you enter iron stance, and when you shealth it, you get some health back.

scy

Does the quality of the weapons mean anything when you dualize?

The Oily / Cool / etc. quality thing? That determines the stat bonus you gain (e.g., Barbed Quality on weapons is +2 P.ATK / +8 C.ATK / + 3 ACC) from them as well as other traits (Tempering Bonus%, Resale value, etc.). You can check all of those from the Library > User's Guide > Quality menu.

I think I ran across thus far the best post battle quote, it gave me many laughs.

Asbel: Never
Richard: Never
Sophie: Whats Our Motto?!
All: Never Give Up!

Or something like that.

Asbel: We're...
Cheria: Amazing!
Pascal: Unbeatable!
Sophie: Awesome!
Asbel: ...and unable to coordinate.

Probably got the trio's quotes wrong but Asbel's sitting dejected off to the side was so funny. Also a fan of Cheria's "Why can't Asbel be that nice..." one with him in the background victory posing. Don't know why I enjoy that one so much...

Edit:

What kind of gems are best to dualize for each character?

I've basically been doing Rise/Exceed for everyone with the same on the Gem (though with Holy, Absorb, or Reinforce).

Can someone explain weapon/armor dualizing?

A bit confused with how to keep improving a weapon. The game just gives you blocks of text which is pretty annoying. Something about extracting a gem from tempered stuff?

And how does the mixer thing work? What do the % mean?

Ties

Banned
Asbel: We're...
Cheria: Amazing!
Pascal: Unbeatable!
Sophie: Awesome!
Asbel: ...and unable to coordinate.

Probably got the trio's quotes wrong but Asbel's sitting dejected off to the side was so funny. Also a fan of Cheria's "Why can't Asbel be that nice..." one with him in the background victory posing. Don't know why I enjoy that one so much...
I love these win quotes. Cheria is obviously trying to get Asbel to help her up after every battle.

The one that made me laugh the most was the "Royal Crablettes" one. Does anyone get the one where Sophie says "I traveled back in time from last week, can you please stop throwing monsters at us?" I know it's suppose to be a joke, but I just don't get it. *shrug*

A bit confused with how to keep improving a weapon. The game just gives you blocks of text which is pretty annoying. Something about extracting a gem from tempered stuff?

The % from the mixer is the likelihood that something would be produced from the mixer. In regards to the dishes themselves, if you have the "<" or ">" sign and a %, that's when the dish will activate in battle if you have enough eleth in the mixer.

Mr.Fresh

I love these win quotes. Cheria is obviously trying to get Asbel to help her up after every battle.

The one that made me laugh the most was the "Royal Crablettes" one. Does anyone get the one where Sophie says "I traveled back in time from last week, can you please stop throwing monsters at us?" I know it's suppose to be a joke, but I just don't get it. *shrug*
She says that because Malik says " I just knocked you into next week." To the monsters.

scy

Dualizing a Shard onto a Weapon/Armor will give a stat bonus (based on the Quality, my previous post mentions where to check those) and it will give a bonus effect based on the Shard type (e.g., Attack, Mind, Rise, Exceed, etc.). After a few fights, the weapon/armor will become tempered and you'll get a +Damage%/-Damage Taken% bonus and the name will change to yellow.

Now, if you dualize two Tempered pieces of equipment together, you'll combine the two strongest effects* and create a Gem. So, if you dualized an Attack Shard on one weapon and Mind Shard on another, dualizing those two together will give you an ATK-MIND Gem. When you do this, the stat bonuses on the weapon/armor are kept, though the bonus effect is lost. For instance, an Attack [1] Barbed shard gives +2 P.ATK, +8 C.ATK, and +3 ACC with +10 P.ATK effect on it; if you dualize that weapon with something, you'll lose the +10 P.ATK effect but you keep the +2 P.ATK, +8 C.ATK, and +3 ACC bonuses on the weapon.

Sorry if that's confusing. It's a pretty simple thing once you start doing a lot of it. Dualize shard onto equipment -> Get permanent stat bonuses plus an effect -> Dualize two tempered equipment and lose their effects but gain a Gem with those two effects combined -> Repeat.

*Should just be the first listed but I haven't played with this a lot to see if there's something more specific to it than that. This only really matters for equipment that has a natural bonus or when combining two Gems.

After X steps, there's a Y% chance that you create Z item.

The one that made me laugh the most was the "Royal Crablettes" one.

Royal Crablettes, along with other victory celebrations, has endeared me to Sophie. I'll miss the Royal Crablettes scene :(

Mikhal

The Oily / Cool / etc. quality thing? That determines the stat bonus you gain (e.g., Barbed Quality on weapons is +2 P.ATK / +8 C.ATK / + 3 ACC) from them as well as other traits (Tempering Bonus%, Resale value, etc.). You can check all of those from the Library > User's Guide > Quality menu.

Dualizing a Shard onto a Weapon/Armor will give a stat bonus (based on the Quality, my previous post mentions where to check those) and it will give a bonus effect based on the Shard type (e.g., Attack, Mind, Rise, Exceed, etc.). After a few fights, the weapon/armor will become tempered and you'll get a +Damage%/-Damage Taken% bonus and the name will change to yellow.

Now, if you dualize two Tempered pieces of equipment together, you'll combine the two strongest effects* and create a Gem. So, if you dualized an Attack Shard on one weapon and Mind Shard on another, dualizing those two together will give you an ATK-MIND Gem. When you do this, the stat bonuses on the weapon/armor are kept, though the bonus effect is lost. For instance, an Attack [1] Barbed shard gives +2 P.ATK, +8 C.ATK, and +3 ACC with +10 P.ATK effect on it; if you dualize that weapon with something, you'll lose the +10 P.ATK effect but you keep the +2 P.ATK, +8 C.ATK, and +3 ACC bonuses on the weapon.

Sorry if that's confusing. It's a pretty simple thing once you start doing a lot of it. Dualize shard onto equipment -> Get permanent stat bonuses plus an effect -> Dualize two tempered equipment and lose their effects but gain a Gem with those two effects combined -> Repeat.

*Should just be the first listed but I haven't played with this a lot to see if there's something more specific to it than that.

After X steps, there's a Y% chance that you create Z item.

Thanks! I've been spending too much time dualizing random things. You can go pass +24, right? I'm still only on chapter...3?

My favorite battle quote so far:
Sophie: Pascal, what's an airhead?
Pascal: Someone who's so smart, they can control air with their mind!
Sophie: Wow. You're amazing!

What does Min CC mean? Even though my min cc is like 6, i easily get down to 0 by spamming artes. If it just means minimum at the start of a battle, min cc seems far less useful than max cc

Astra

What does Min CC mean? Even though my min cc is like 6, i easily get down to 0 by spamming artes. If it just means minimum at the start of a battle, min cc seems far less useful than max cc

Yeah, it means you start with that amount of CC when the battle starts. Initiating combat by touching an enemy from behind grants you a +1 to CC at the start of battle. There's also several other boosts to CC at the start of battle.

Palom

The banter between characters after battle is so awesome. It's one of the unique things about the Tales franchise that I love so much.

The "traveled through time from next week" thing had me laughing out loud when I first saw it. And Pascal's "peach gel" battle tactic is hilarious.

As an aside, when did they change Lemon Gel to Peach Gel? I've only played the English-localized games (except Vesperia), so Peach Gel is new to me. And why do peaches look like butts?

FSLink

Banned
As an aside, when did they change Lemon Gel to Peach Gel? I've only played the English-localized games (except Vesperia), so Peach Gel is new to me. And why do peaches look like butts?

They didn't change it, it's just an item used in Tales games that don't have TP. Lemon cures 60%, Peach does 50% HP. You get Grape Gels too which cure 70% HP.

Sometimes you get unique shards like the Moist Crystal or the Hyperdense Shard. Instead of making a +1 out of a weapon, these seem to convert them into entirely new weapons.

should I be saving those for endgame until I get the best base weapons / armor in the game? Or is it fine to just put them onto random stuff?

Palom

Sometimes you get unique shards like the Moist Crystal or the Hyperdense Shard. Instead of making a +1 out of a weapon, these seem to convert them into entirely new weapons.

should I be saving those for endgame until I get the best base weapons / armor in the game? Or is it fine to just put them onto random stuff?

I've been putting them on everything; if anything to fill my Collector's Book. I try to keep 2 of each on hand by sticking them in the Mixer. They have a relatively low production rate, but it's enough that I can always keep upgrading weapons.

Top Bottom