• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

Astra

He broke my guard all the time, lol.

Yeah, he would break my guard if he hit me too many times while I was guarding, but he never used any attacks that were impossible to guard against. Those attacks where a "!" shows up just before.
He was also pretty hard to get the side-step/backstep timing down for. He moves so damn quickly.

Beat the main game at 42 hours. I haven't touched F arc yet. I will say that Bathus Citadel and the last dungeon have the most god awful puzzles. The ending was kinda cheesy too. Question about grade shop. I don't see 10x damage, nor do I see
use Richard the whole game.

Dunno about 10x damage but for the second question,
It's more of a roundabout way to do that. In the F arc, you can craft Nairkiri dolls that would give you titles or something that would allow you have that character be someone else. So getting the Richard doll for Asbel can let you play as Richard while replacing Asbel's slot. They do get all the equipment and titles and stuff.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, I'm in the Glacier Ruins, and just fought
Kurt
. Probably the hardest boss so far. The fucker hits hard, is hard to stagger, staggers you easily, has great melee range, attacks a wide area, traps you in a stun lock, and can break out of a stun lock himself. A seriously annoying boss. On the plus side, he has no guard breaking attacks (at least nothing he used while I fought him). This was the first battle in which I had to use an All-Divide.
I usually just backstepped away or around-stepped. I didn't use my all-divides until the EX-dungeon.

...Actually, now that I think about it, I usually tried to evade in general throughout this game rather than simply block, lol. It's easier on a second playthrough or if you grind a lot on the first playthrough and get used to the nuances of the battle system.

RPG Crazied said:
Beat the main game at 42 hours. I haven't touched F arc yet. I will say that Bathus Citadel and the last dungeon have the most god awful puzzles. The ending was kinda cheesy too. Question about grade shop. I don't see 10x damage, nor do I see
use Richard the whole game.
Bathus Citadel is Basith Base, right? I recall not liking that dungeon either.

You get 10x damage by stacking 5x damage and 2x damage to get 10x damage.

Your second question got answered, lol. :)

scy

While you grind, you end up getting Soul Orbs anyway from my experience, lol.

Well, what I meant was that I don't move on until I get all their Soul Orbs. I haven't done too much dragged out grinding sessions due to that. Barring those few times with some enemy that I never see and takes forever (the dragon in the desert took three Dark Bottles, what the hell?).

Cheezed them on Simple difficulty or Normal difficulty for the trophies, reset and redid them on Chaos.

I caved in and did that for the 60 second desert boss fight (the
two ... wyverns, I guess?
). I just couldn't get below 2 minutes on Chaos. Hell, on Normal I barely got it under 60s anyway (51s or so?). Sheesh.

I have a feeling this trend may continue for trophies :(

The best line in the game so far is "Friendship...URRAAAAAAAAAGH!" because it's like a meta-commentary on why Tales games have such shitty dialogue. This one seems better, though!

Astra

I usually just backstepped away or around-stepped. I didn't use my all-divides until the EX-dungeon.

...Actually, now that I think about it, I usually tried to evade in general throughout this game rather than simply block, lol. It's easier on a second playthrough or if you grind a lot on the first playthrough and get used to the nuances of the battle system.

Yeah, I'm not grinding at all, and am no doubt rather under-leveled.
I may just drop the difficulty down and enjoy a more leisurely pace. Have fun with the story, skits, events etc. and save this hair ripping crap for a second playthrough, haha.

What's the best place to farm shards for dualizing? Been waiting for what seems like forever to get more Rise and Exceed Shards. Can't even seem to find Attack shards anymore.

RPGCrazied

Dunno about 10x damage but for the second question,
It's more of a roundabout way to do that. In the F arc, you can craft Nairkiri dolls that would give you titles or something that would allow you have that character be someone else. So getting the Richard doll for Asbel can let you play as Richard while replacing Asbel's slot. They do get all the equipment and titles and stuff.

Bathus Citadel is Basith Base, right? I recall not liking that dungeon either.

You get 10x damage by stacking 5x damage and 2x damage to get 10x damage.

Your second question got answered, lol. :)

Thanks! I don't know the name of it in the Japanese version. You just have sliding blocks to make platforms and stuff.

MechaX

Since dualizing is getting pretty expensive, how should I be doing this?

Should I just be buying the strongest weapons in the equipment shops, dualizing them, and then dualizing two dualized weapons (whoa) to get the crystals that would result, or should I be doing something else?

scy

Edit: Hubert combat style is addictive :( But, damn, 8 - 24 CC? Need some Rise's for this man :/

Since dualizing is getting pretty expensive, how should I be doing this?

Should I just be buying the strongest weapons in the equipment shops, dualizing them, and then dualizing two dualized weapons (whoa) to get the crystals that would result, or should I be doing something else?

Well ... what is your goal? If it's to actually improve equipment, not much more to do than this. I'd find the best Quality for the bonus you want so you can maximize that (e.g., Barbed's +8 C.ATK) and use that for every single dualize step just so you can get the largest bonus for the stat you want in the fewest amount of dualizes.

Edit: Just to add, don't use the shard type that you actually want on the equipment until you're "done" dualizing. If you want +Max CC on it, don't worry about using it every single time. Just put it on at the very end.

If it's for the resulting gem, just use garbage equipment so you can keep the actual dualize cost low by swapping out to a new garbage equipment slot when it starts getting too expensive.

BY2K

Membero Americo
It's getting bad when I'm getting destroyed by random battles in the final dungeon...

I think I'll do more side-quests, first.

Edgeward

Met Pascal and went thru the subsequent dungeon. I can definitely tell I'll like Pascal, it helps that she is also the one VA that seems to exert more effort than the others.

What I've liked about dungeons is that enemies don't spawn as often so whenever I backtrack to go the other path, I never run into another enemy. Even if I go to a new screen. That's really awesome.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Well, I'm in the Glacier Ruins, and just fought
Kurt
. Probably the hardest boss so far. The fucker hits hard, is hard to stagger, staggers you easily, has great melee range, attacks a wide area, traps you in a stun lock, and can break out of a stun lock himself. A seriously annoying boss. On the plus side, he has no guard breaking attacks (at least nothing he used while I fought him). This was the first battle in which I had to use an All-Divide.

I died on this fight a bunch of times. The last time I finally figured out: you have to attack his back. His iron guard is basically unbreakable from the front, he'll hack through anything you throw at you. But if you start a combo from behind him, he'll go into hitstun appropriately.

I'm in the final (pre-f) dungeon now, I think I'm in the last part before the end. Everyone's in the low-50s (edit: no wait, low-60s). I did a bit of title-grinding and weapon-optimizing ahead of time, game-clock around 50 hours. Definitely not getting the commentary on this game being short, I heard 30-40 hour estimates prior to release. Yeesh!

Just tried fighting the
humanoid at the shuttle crash site
. Is there something else I have to do to get a title effect to work? I have Paragon equipped and mastered on Asbel for the 50% reduction on 1200+ damage, but when it explodes everyone still dies anyways.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Just tried fighting the
humanoid at the shuttle crash site
. Is there something else I have to do to get a title effect to work? I have Paragon equipped and mastered on Asbel for the 50% reduction on 1200+ damage, but when it explodes everyone still dies anyways.
Are you blocking, and have everyone on guard at 100%/passive? And are far away from the enemy?

You might have to level up or get better equipment if you're still dying after that.

MechaX

Man... I don't know what it is, but I'm just not liking Asbel's play-style at all. I tried playing as Richard, Sophie, Malik, and Pascal, and I infinitely like their styles more than Asbel's so far. He just seems so... clumsy compared to like Yuri's style. Richard seems to most remind me of Leon from Tales of Destiny, but
too bad I just reached the part where he tries to take over Lhant, so I doubt I'm going to get him back anytime soon.

Well ... what is your goal? If it's to actually improve equipment, not much more to do than this. I'd find the best Quality for the bonus you want so you can maximize that (e.g., Barbed's +8 C.ATK) and use that for every single dualize step just so you can get the largest bonus for the stat you want in the fewest amount of dualizes.

Edit: Just to add, don't use the shard type that you actually want on the equipment until you're "done" dualizing. If you want +Max CC on it, don't worry about using it every single time. Just put it on at the very end.

If it's for the resulting gem, just use garbage equipment so you can keep the actual dualize cost low by swapping out to a new garbage equipment slot when it starts getting too expensive.

I guess my goal is to have decent weapons for Moderate (or Hard whenever I decide to move it up). But I'll definitely keep your advice in mind.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Damn. Trying to fight the Wallbridge boss on Evil is, well, evil! He can instant cast spells which take off most of your health and getting combo'd by him essentially means death. And you can't just focus on him because his two little minions are trained to come to his aid and mess you up. My friend and I are able to stay alive but the AI players keep getting killed by him and the battle quickly turns against us.

I got the feeling that level grinding isn't the answer this time but what? Hmm...

Misterhbk

Man... I don't know what it is, but I'm just not liking Asbel's play-style at all. I tried playing as Richard, Sophie, Malik, and Pascal, and I infinitely like their styles more than Asbel's so far. He just seems so... clumsy compared to like Yuri's style. Richard seems to most remind me of Leon from Tales of Destiny, but
too bad I just reached the part where he tries to take over Lhant, so I doubt I'm going to get him back anytime soon.
I'm the exact opposite. I absolutely LOVE Asbel's play style. I love the speed he fights with and most enemies Ive come across can hardly keep up with him. He's such a beast.

RPGCrazied

Can you do a new game plus mode after the F arc? I only have like 1035 grade. :( Damn skills are 2k. So if I just transfer over titles and not skills, I have to relearn all of those skills?

Can you do a new game plus mode after the F arc? I only have like 1035 grade. :( Damn skills are 2k. So if I just transfer over titles and not skills, I have to relearn all of those skills?

Yep, you can. You probably should since you would want the Accel skills or whatever they are called now.

Still looking for tips on how to increase the acquisition rate of shards for dualizing. I can't really get a consistent supply of them and I burn through them all in a very quick session of dualizing.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Still looking for tips on how to increase the acquisition rate of shards for dualizing. I can't really get a consistent supply of them and I burn through them all in a very quick session of dualizing.
Higher difficulties increase your chances of obtaining shards. The amount of sharts in your inventory also seem to be affecting your chance of getting a new shard.

Shard type and nature are dependent on where you fight enemies on the world map, not what enemy you fight.

So... if you're looking for certain types, you have to go to a certain area to hunt them down. There's a nice list on the Japanese Wiki if you want it.

You can find Attack shards at Grelside road, Fendel Border, Orlen Forest, Wallbridge Underground, etc. You get way better shards in the Zone Cage, though, but that's the EX Dungeon of the game and I don't think you want to wait that long to get them.

Rpgmonkey

Hard Mode got noticeably easier once I finally bothered to use dualizing and gems to make up for each characters' weaknesses. Guess it would've been smart to work on that sooner...

And the cast is really growing on me. They're not annoying (or at least, I'm not at a point where they go through that kind of change), the "quirks" are usually subtle and tasteful instead of being so heavy-handed with it you can almost see the character tropes oozing out of each and every line, the interactions feel natural, and they seem to be fairly rational and smart people.

Hopefully nothing happens that sends it all to crap.

frequency

I said earlier that I would stay out of this thread for fear of spoilers, but I just had to come in here to voice my approval of the VAs. I usually only ever expect high quality VAs for Square and Atlus titles. This is excellent so far.
Like most of the Square and Atlus titles, I prefer this over the Japanese VAs. It's pretty rare for me to. I hope the localization continues to be of this quality. I'm hopeful that it will, seeing 8-4's recent output.

I wish there was a way to change leaders quickly on the field. I like to hear all the characters thoughts when you "Check" things. Doing it from the menu gets pretty annoying.

This game is a very nice change of pace from FFXIII-2 - the last game that I finished. It really reminds me of the range in the JRPG genre.

I guess I'll step out of the thread again now and be back when I finish it in a month or whatever.

Ties

Banned
Almost done with the game and the pacing is great. There weren't any parts in this game where I felt like something was rushed or drawn out.

zulux21

I have a few random questions that if they have been answered in here I missed them.

First early in the adult arc
when you fight hubert, and are supposed to lose, if you beat him does anything different happen or does it just force you to continue as if he beat you. I wasn't powerful enough to beat him on easy but it seemed possible if I grinded for a bit or was playing a new game

with the item creation pot
is there any way to increase the % odds that an item will be created or will stuff like sage that has a 1.1% chance of being created always be at that amount. I ask because while I have gotten the pot up to 7 slots none of my % odds have gone up and some of them I really wish would go up :p

Is there a way to check how many battles you have done on a certain difficulty? I have done a mix of moderate and hard and I am curious how many I have done with each, so I can see how close I am to
the next difficulty level

finally, is there any reason ever given why
Cheria's weapons suck so much... the base stats are like half of every one elses @_@

thanks in advance for any help ^^

scy

I have a few random questions that if they have been answered in here I missed them.

First early in the adult arc
when you fight hubert, and are supposed to lose, if you beat him does anything different happen or does it just force you to continue as if he beat you. I wasn't powerful enough to beat him on easy but it seemed possible if I grinded for a bit or was playing a new game

You're
forced to lose, even if you reduce his HP to 0

finally, is there any reason ever given why
Cheria's weapons suck so much... the base stats are like half of every one elses @_@

thanks in advance for any help ^^

A lot of the characters have pretty bad weapons, at least early on. I've just been dualizing a lot so it's been not as noticeable :x

Just finished chapter 4. Again, really digging this game. Makes me want to keep playing to see things through.

Found the
dragon like things that Richard rode on
to be the most difficult fight I've had yet..... by far. Its not that I had trouble winning, it was just very tedious and
difficult to keep a combo going. I think my highest combo was 11 for that fight? pathetic....

and for records purposes, I'm playing on moderate

Zabuza

Banned
I am now 12 hours in and just finished the
first battle against Richard in Lhant
. My party was around level 27 and the battle was a bit difficult on moderate. This is probably mostly due to my two somewhat unskilled friends playing with me. So far the game is really fun, and I'm interested to find out what happens.

The battle system and upgrading titles are my two favorite things in this game.

I really hope on my second playthrough I'm able to earn the platinum for this too, as I'm pretty sure I'm missing things. Especially for inn requests.

zulux21

You're
forced to lose, even if you reduce his HP to 0

A lot of the characters have pretty bad weapons, at least early on. I've just been dualizing a lot so it's been not as noticeable :x

ah... I am glad I didn't take the time to grind then.

I am hoping I can find some decent ones for her soon, as I feel sad when I look at her attack stats compared to the rest of my party... I suppose her weapons are a little bit behind the curve of the others as well though. I think her's are only plus 5 or so while the others are around plus 8.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
ah... I am glad I didn't take the time to grind then.

I am hoping I can find some decent ones for her soon, as I feel sad when I look at her attack stats compared to the rest of my party... I suppose her weapons are a little bit behind the curve of the others as well though. I think her's are only plus 5 or so while the others are around plus 8.
Buy/sell lots of stuff from/to Lhant in order to level up your stamps to level 5 to buy her Battle Knife for 4700 gald.

Probably been answered before but when leveling up titles, do you retain the stat bonuses as well (eg +1 cc) etc when you change to another title or is it only active when you equip that title only?

Also anyone else kind of underwhelmed by the music? I haven't really heard any tune that really has made me say "awesome" as of yet but i'm only ~20 or so hours in. Aside from that and the terrible dungeon design in
Wallbridge
(or at least I think so anyway) i'm really liking the game so far.

zulux21

Buy/sell lots of stuff from/to Lhant in order to level up your stamps to level 5 to buy her Battle Knife for 4700 gald.

that's actually what her plus 5 weapon is now, I'm
at the point where you get eaten by the rockgagong and haven't found anything better for her. While everyone else has weapons twice as strong

It's not a big deal as her healing still makes her useful enough to keep around, and honestly given she is a healer her stats make sense... it just seems weird that her stats seem to be limited by her weapons instead of her actual base stats thus far.

So I am curious, what characters are people playing as? I am using Sophie as my main, though I would love to main Pascal or Cheria... but I seem to die fast when I am maining those two lol.

Ties

Banned
Probably been answered before but when leveling up titles, do you retain the stat bonuses as well (eg +1 cc) etc when you change to another title or is it only active when you equip that title only?
The first one. Although there are some bonuses that are only applied when you have a certain title equipped.
zulux21 said:
So I am curious, what characters are people playing as? I am using Sophie as my main, though I would love to main Pascal or Cheria... but I seem to die fast when I am maining those two lol.
Surprisingly I main Pascal. Once she learns Cyandine and Bloodflamme she becomes a beast.

zulux21

you keep the stat bonuses that you gain from leveling up but the effects the titles have (second info page on the titles) such as attack plus 4% is only active while the title is on you (and doubles when you master the title)

if you go to status, one of the pages of your status shows you all of the effects that you are granted from your titles. Also from testing I have found that skills like
strike an enemy and gain X exp
stack with the title skills, which is nice as all games don't do it that way.

ah gotcha

thanks to the both of you for answering that. Guess leveling the titles to 5 is more efficient then mastering each one before moving on to the next which I need to stop doing ~_~

zulux21

ah gotcha

thanks to the both of you for answering that. Guess leveling the titles to 5 is more efficient then mastering each one before moving on to the next which I need to stop doing ~_~

I did just up to 5 instead of master from the start, and now I have gotten even worse as I often just get to 4 now before changing them unless 5 is something I care about (which most of the time it isn't lol)

I want the next difficulty to unlock for me so I can get more SP to go through titles faster as some of them take so much SP @_@

Verelios

So, I'm stuck right now, level 28 Asbel, everyone else is like level 24~25 except Sophie who's level 27.

It has just dawned on me, since I usually play with other people, what are the best strategies to use for long bosses (bosses with huge HP).

I ask, because I usually just leave all my parties strategies on default, use equal A and B arte's, attack whoever you want, and clean up the battle from there. Meaning that I neglect them and pretty much Solo the battle myself, while micro-managing from the Item menu whenever one of them dies or gets low on health, etc.

Now, I'm playing with Asbel, and while I can take care of myself just fine, and pretty much swarm all the enemies to me, this isn't working. Everytime I need to heal or revive, that's a frame where I get one shotted or ganged.

So I was thinking something like this:
Sophie on A and B arte's equally~ attack whoever
Cheria on constant guard and heal<75%
Hubert on full agressive and use mainly attack arte's- attack closest
^^That's my current team, but since I've heard good things about Pascal I'm thinking of switching out Hubert for her. First Tales game that I've actually had to set strategies that don't consist of save your arte's, constant heal, etc.

Shizzlee

I just want to say that I've been really enjoying the game so far, the battle system in particular. I haven't been able to play it that much even though I got it day 1, but it's been really great. I started on hard then after
helping Richard beat Cedric to take the throne
I switched over to Evil. The
fight against Richard in Lhant
was kicking my ass because it was the first boss where I actually had to think, but coming up with a strategy to kick his ass with my level 25 team was very rewarding instead of dropping back down to Hard. I hope it gets much more difficult later on so I can test myself even more.

Bladenic

Damn it, I accidentally saved over my save from the end of chapter 3 boss before getting the trophy. The best I got was a minute 5 seconds arghhh

Quick question, does the Eleth Burst gauge reset on a boss? Would love to just go in guns blazing.

Ties

Banned
Damn it, I accidentally saved over my save from the end of chapter 3 boss before getting the trophy. The best I got was a minute 5 seconds arghhh

Quick question, does the Eleth Burst gauge reset on a boss? Would love to just go in guns blazing.
No it doesn't. I actually went ahead and cheesed some bosses for the 60 second trophy once I got Pascal's level 3 Blast Caliber. So good.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Also anyone else kind of underwhelmed by the music? I haven't really heard any tune that really has made me say "awesome" as of yet but i'm only ~20 or so hours in. Aside from that and the terrible dungeon design in
Wallbridge
(or at least I think so anyway) i'm really liking the game so far.
No, the music was sub-par in 2009, and it's still sub-par in 2012.

that's actually what her plus 5 weapon is now, I'm
at the point where you get eaten by the rockgagong and haven't found anything better for her. While everyone else has weapons twice as strong

It's not a big deal as her healing still makes her useful enough to keep around, and honestly given she is a healer her stats make sense... it just seems weird that her stats seem to be limited by her weapons instead of her actual base stats thus far.

Ah, I'm sorry. It isn't really a huge deal, but the idea is that they want you to rack up her chains and combo bonuses from a range, but at that point in the game, her role is more focused on healing and hitting with holy magic. If you want, you could dualize attack shards with her knives, but I usually went for Artes attack (or Cryas attack as they're calling it in the English version).

Cheria has the second-lowest defense in the game, so that's why it's difficult with her. Don't get in the enemy's face when you're using her, basically. She's quick, and her attacks are basically tailored to her throwing and evading enemies. Evasive action seems to be the bigger thing than merely blocking in this game from both times I've played it.

Pascal, she gets better as you level up her titles and get her quicker cast ones. Um. You just shoot, stun, forward step (do not run or free run), and cast the spell quickly. You'll eventually get used to her.

On my first playthrough, I used Asbel and Hubert most of the time. I started using Cheria a lot towards the end and loved using her.
On my second playthrough, I ended up using everyone. Sophie was the last character I warmed up to, and I still feel rather lukewarm towards her since I like Jude and Senel's martial arts movesets a lot more than hers.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
So I beat it. Reloaded the file, a new skit was available at the last save point, and I'm off running errands and fighting random people.

...but there's the Lineage & Legacies stuff. Which I also started up, and which seems to use your save file as a base.

So I guess I'm unclear on how to proceed. In the Lineage & Legacies stuff, can I do the main game's postgame content still? If I save over that file with the Lineage & Legacies file, is that stuff lost forever? Should I stick to the main game, and only start the Lineage & Legacies part when I'm satisfied by my progression in the main file and my character growth therein?

Really just not sure what to do now!

(And I think it's frankly ridiculous that this whole arc is buried in an "Extras" menu, I'd imagine the vast majority of gamers who didn't know about it before they bought the game would never even play it.)

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Gah, I bought SSX and forgot this was even out... -_-

zulux21

Cheria has the second-lowest defense in the game, so that's why it's difficult with her. Don't get in the enemy's face when you're using her, basically. She's quick, and her attacks are basically tailored to her throwing and evading enemies. Evasive action seems to be the bigger thing than merely blocking in this game from both times I've played it.

Pascal, she gets better as you level up her titles and get her quicker cast ones. Um. You just shoot, stun, forward step (do not run or free run), and cast the spell quickly. You'll eventually get used to her.

On my first playthrough, I used Asbel and Hubert most of the time. I started using Cheria a lot towards the end and loved using her.
On my second playthrough, I ended up using everyone. Sophie was the last character I warmed up to, and I still feel rather lukewarm towards her since I like Jude and Senel's martial arts movesets a lot more than hers.

my problem with Cheria isn't so much with her dying as it is I just can't seem to manage to get off a heal spell as any any given time 75% of the enemies are after me thus the rest of the party dies while playing her because I can't get the AI to sophie to play her anything like I do (lots of quick dodging with hits to stun and quick heals)

As for Pascal... really I just need to sit down and figure out how she is played. I like her... but am having problems effectively using her as she just has something off about her (to me) that I haven't figure out yet. In general I tend to use the fighting/healing hybrid characters though, so it's not surprising I landed on sophie as my main. during a second playthough I will likely focus on the other two characters. I don't mind characters like Asbel and hubert but I find them less interesting than the other ones. In general I like playing as any given Tales character... heck despite hating collette in symphonia in general, I still found joy with spamming pow hammer with her lol

Top Bottom