• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

I don't understand the joke. (Damn Namco for not offering subtitles for post victory celebrations because i'm deaf so I don't understand what they are saying.)

Also do anyone have full transcript of all post victory because I would like to know what they are saying. I saw few in this page but I would like to have many transcripts as I can.

Edited: I found the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQlE0x363do&feature=related

Do this video have all post victory scene? (I am asking since I just got Pascal in my team)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Any tips for The Three Musketeers trial? I have a ~level 30 party and am getting owned.

Never heard of this, what is this? Is it missable? :p

Jeels

Never heard of this, what is this? Is it missable? :p

It's in the Trial of Graces. It's a fight against
Bryce, Victoria, and Richard's Uncle at once
. It isn't miss able, but considering how low their individual health's are I feel like I should be able to do this. :(

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I don't think there's so much a joke as it is an amusing scene between Richard and Sophie. XD

Yeah, but I don't understand what they are saying because there is no subtitles for deaf people like me. I found the video but the translation is not accurate so I hope that I will find accurate english video soon.

Ugh, a certain battle while traveling up a mountain is kicking my buttocks. It's bad enough one hit could take away 1/2 your health, but then
enemies from around the mountain join the battle, which you'll have to deal with
and it makes the battle so much harder.

I found that the boss is a little easier to deal with if only I'm on the field, since the only target is me and I can dodge efficiently. But I might have to go down a difficulty level for this boss...

Edit: Didn't see the video, but I'm going to assume it's about royal crabcakes. :p

scy

I think I may have to give up for the (Chapter 4) 60 second trophy on Chaos. My first attempt took 3 minutes and I'm not sure if I can cut that down a lot without a lot of effort :(

What does Min CC mean? Even though my min cc is like 6, i easily get down to 0 by spamming artes. If it just means minimum at the start of a battle, min cc seems far less useful than max cc

I prefer Min CC until you get to double digits. It's nice to be able to start fights with a full 4-arte chain. Also helps for finishing fights faster, which is a nice plus for burning down fights (e.g., 60s Trophy fights).

What titles give me Freeze Rain for Cheria? And how do I obtain those titles?

Infinite Wave Adept. I don't know the amount of uses for the title, though.

Yeah, but I don't understand what they are saying because there is no subtitles for deaf people like me. I found the video but the translation is not accurate so I hope that I will find accurate english video soon.

Royal crablettes... Royal crablettes...

I just got my reality checked with
Victoria
. And then right after that with
Richard in the courtyard

Still Evil on normal battles though, only died completely once in
Barona Castle on route to the Throne Room

<3 Game.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

Richard: I heard you like crab omlettes, Sophie.

Sophie: Yes, crablettes.

Pascal: I bet Richard gets to eat special Royal Crablettes!

Sophie: Royal Crablettes?

Richard: I'm afraid there's no such thing...

Sophie: ... royal crablettes...

Richard: Y-Wait, Sophie! Let's all calm down...

I played the japanese version until about halfway through the Adult Arc and I remember something vague about being able to earn a title during the fight against
Malik in Wallbridge Ruins
by having him use a certain ability on you, and there being no other possible way to earn that title. But now I can't find any information about this. Does anyone remember? It's coming up and I don't want to miss it.

FSLink

Banned
I played the japanese version until about halfway through the Adult Arc and I remember something vague about being able to earn a title during the fight against
Malik in Wallbridge Ruins
by having him use a certain ability on you, and there being no other possible way to earn that title. But now I can't find any information about this. Does anyone remember? It's coming up and I don't want to miss it.
That involved
having to get Richard getting the burn status and it being only available in that battle in the Wii version, but in the PS3 version there's other opportunities now.

Finally beat that mountain boss. It was really hard, because near the end of the battle the boss
burrows into the ground
and will randomly attack one character from there.

For two of my characters, that attack was an instant K.O. so I couldn't have them alive at the end of the battle (because every time I'd revive them, the boss would one hit K.O. them) so sadly, no experience for them... I learned I could avoid the attack, though.

Ties

Banned
Finally beat that mountain boss. It was really hard, because near the end of the battle the boss
burrows into the ground

For two of my characters, that attack was an instant K.O. so I couldn't have them alive at the end of the battle (because every time I'd revive them, the boss would one hit K.O. them) so sadly, no experience for them... I learned I could avoid the attack, though.
i hate that pig as well

bubnbob

Banned
The Mystic Arte VAs are really bad. They couldn't have tried?

At least show them the Japanese versions and have them mimic it.

"Dance like the damned."

"Instant Waltz."

So boring.

Edgeward

That
Slime Queen
boss in the seaside cave was a royal pain in the ass. Much more so because of the spawning minions who have about 2/3s the health of the boss for each one. They turned out to be the major problem when 8 were swarming and almost stun locking me to death. Somehow made it out okay.

I'm about 6 hours in but I don't have a problem with the voices at all. I think child Cheria's voice is excellent. In fact, I hope to see her voice in more stuff.

MechaX

I think child Cheria's voice is excellent. In fact, I hope to see her voice in more stuff.

Where have you been for the last three years?

Edit: Laura Bailey (and by proxy, Troy Baker) oversaturation isn't too bad; actors like them have some pretty good range for being everywhere. But with some actors... well, for a fun time, ask Aeana what she things about JYB.

Misterhbk

That
Slime Queen
boss in the seaside cave was a royal pain in the ass. Much more so because of the spawning minions who have about 2/3s the health of the boss for each one. They turned out to be the major problem when 8 were swarming and almost stun locking me to death. Somehow made it out okay.
I can second this. The boss was not an issue at all, but those little fuckers swarmed all over Sophie and continued to kill her.

OceanBlue

I'm sure she is everywhere, but I'm not one to fault anime voice actors for simply being hired alot- unlike some people.

Oh, I actually agree with you. Laura Bailey is probably one of my more-liked gaming voice actors, even if she is everywhere.

Speaking of Laura Bailey and voice acting in future parts of the game, I honestly thought her adult Cheria wasn't that great until later on though. In fact, my initial opinion of the adult arc was that the characters were way too serious, the voice acting was really kinda stiff, and I wasn't actually enjoying the characters as characters, but after certain scenes I'm really glad to see some changes. The post-battle skits are really great as well. I was having fun playing the game for battles and stuff but now I'm having fun watching the characters interact as well.

*facepalm*
Might as well just watch the cut-scenes on YouTube at that point!

I unlocked Chaos mode but haven't dived in yet. I'm enjoying just circling around and leveling everything up on Evil and dreading moving on to sit through another barrage or silly cut-scenes (the start of chapter hour was particularly painful in this regard). The battles are intense without being unfair and the rewards are most excellent. Boss, on the other hand, tend to be a little TOO unfair. Especially any involving multiples things
(Queen Slime and Parasite, for example)

Awesome, awesome, awesome game. I knew it would deliver after playing Destiny R, I just didn't know it would be THIS good. I'm pretty sure it's going to end up my favorite Tales game.

The Mystic Arte VAs are really bad. They couldn't have tried?

At least show them the Japanese versions and have them mimic it.

"Dance like the damned."

"Instant Waltz."

So boring.

Well Ive only seen one Mystic Arte (pascals) and it just looked rather unimpressive, Im hoping the others look good, the first mystic arte in abyss 3d was awesome when I saw it (razing phoenix), why couldnt the first in this game be awesome too.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Wow, that was really dumb.

I grind every area for the Soul Orbs. Just don't feel "right" until I've gotten them.

The cutscene dialogue

is the worst because

they speak like this.

Or at least Richard did. It's like he was waiting for the subtitles to appear before speaking his line. Most the rest of the cast seems fine, though Asbel does seem a bit bland recently (and Cheria livened up a bit
after her livening up as part of the plot; kind of wished her combat voice did too

While it wouldn't have fit the rest of the titles, I was a little surprised it wasn't "Airhead" after her Airhead victory celebration dialogue. Odd though that both Sophie and Cheria just have Fashionista for theirs. Maybe the third diverges?
While you grind, you end up getting Soul Orbs anyway from my experience, lol.

And yeah, some of the dialogue seems stilted, though this may be because of the lip-sync. Otherwise... they still do sound rather... :/

In the original Japanese version, those Sophie and Cheria titles were identical. That's all.

hmmm is Asbel the only one with abilities that trigger when you switch between the 2 stances?
This game's battle engine is called "Style-Shift-Linear Motion Battle System". Thus, all party members have access to two different styles when they use A-Artes and B-Artes. Asbel's is the most obvious, right?

Asbel: Sheathed Blade Artes Style (A-Artes consisting of punches and kicks); Drawn Blade Burst Style (B-Artes consisting of those sword attacks)

Sophie: Martial Arts Style (A-Artes consisting of the obvious); Regenerative Burst Style (B-Artes that generally heal or buff)

Hubert: Double Blade Artes Style (A-Artes made up of those bladed strikes); Twin Pistol Burst Style (B-Artes that... shoot)

Malik: Controlled Blade Artes Style (where he tosses his blade at things); Offensive Burst Style (B-Artes consisting of his spells)

Cheria: Throwing Knife Artes Style (A-Artes consisting of ranged knife throws); Holy Burst Style (heal, attack with holy magic)

Richard: Fencing Blade Artes Style; Offensive Burst Style (His B-Arte spells)

Pascal: Rifle Artes Style (Remember, she wields a staff that doubles as a rifle. Because she's Pascal); Glyph Formation Burst Style (her B-Artes that are spells she casts around herself)

burrows into the ground

Wahahahaha, try fighting that bastard on Chaos like I did! Two playthroughs, and both times, he was a complete nightmare.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Just got the game yesterday (slow Amazon shipping).

I know everyone says the opening is slow, but I am liking the game a lot. The attention to detail in the battle system is amazing. This game will be one of my favorite Tales games of all time, I feel it in my bones.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Pascal is so much work to learn, I wonder if it's worth it, lol.
She gets easier to control as you go on since you get stuff that reduce cast time and equipping the book that increases movement speed makes it better. Just shoot, stagger, forward-step, cast, and it's all cool. You'll get used to her.

Astra

She takes a lot of getting used to, and I didn't think she was worth the effort. For me, Sophie is so much more fun to control. She's so fast, and easy to string combos together with. No problems getting 30, 40 and 50 hit combos when I use her.
My Eleth Mixer is really gaining capacity now.

Bladenic

I feel like a bitch because I had to fight
Kurt
on Moderate. I think I could have tried a few more times for Hard but oh well. Also, after all the events in Fendel, Malik and Pascal are undoubtedly my favorite characters.

And how are other people getting the 1 minutes trophies? I got the one for the boss I just fought, but I tried numerous times for
Richard and the 2 beasts he makes you fight, but I can never get either one
. On Easy too.

And it's hard to really make a sound judgment right now, but Graces is not gonna come close to Vesperia for me, but it's way ahead of Abyss, Legendia, and DotNW. It's still up in the air how it will ultimately stack against Rebirth and Symphonia.

And how are other people getting the 1 minutes trophies? I got the one for the boss I just fought, but I tried numerous times for

I been cheesing those fights by fighting them first on simple or whatever the easiest mode is, get the trophy, load it back up and fight them normally.

Astra

Kurt
on Moderate. I think I could have tried a few more times for Hard but oh well. Also, after all the events in Fendel, Malik and Pascal are undoubtedly my favorite characters.

Did you see the event with Pascal where
you visit the home of her friend after Fendel tower, and Pascal's friend critiques each of the guys?

britt0n

Neo Member
Having never played a Tales game before, would you suggest this over Vesperia? both look pretty fun and the combat seems to be a blast from the vids I've checked out.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Kurt

. On Easy too.
Cheezed them on Simple difficulty or Normal difficulty for the trophies, reset and redid them on Chaos.

Defending and around-stepping/timing are your best friends for life. Getting rid of the enemy's friends will also help you out some. If you want, you could attack the leader and set everyone else to attack targets that you aren't targetting. Usually if you're fighting against
Richard bring Asbel, Sophie, Hubert and Cheria along because they'll dispel the dark aura quickly. The AI seemed reliable enough to get rid of Dark Aura fast.

branny

I ended up restarting the game because I missed a few skits, so now I get to catch up on podcasts while I get back to where I was. <3

The game is a million times less boring if you play on Hard or higher. With some other games that have crazy difficulty modes, you have to break the system in weird ways, placing more emphasis on certain mechanics over others. Hard in Graces seems like an easygoing way of playing the game with a decent amount of challenge (but flexible enough that you don't have to exploit anything in order to survive) while making use of nearly every facet of the battle system. I'm really enjoying how Hard is tuned, but I haven't finished the game yet and don't feel strongly either way about Evil or Chaos as of now.

I love her attack style because she is like the authentic version of a largely unsuccessful "melee" (Efreet-canceling) Sophia I tried to make work in Star Ocean 3.

I'm still deciding on my party setup for this game. Everyone is so fun. :(

Anyone know if it's possible to get Magic Carta No. 1 (the one right otuside of Lhant next to the Cryas Shard discovery) in the adult arc? I tried for probably 30 minutes straight in the child arc, gave up and now have been trying off and on every time I'm in the area for a combined probably 20 attempts in the adult arc and still haven't gotten it. Getting really annoying and frustrating.

TDLink

Having never played a Tales game before, would you suggest this over Vesperia? both look pretty fun and the combat seems to be a blast from the vids I've checked out.

Graces has a much better/more fun battle system. Vesperia is overall the superior game.

Just my opinion though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Anyone know if it's possible to get Magic Carta No. 1 (the one right otuside of Lhant next to the Cryas Shard discovery) in the adult arc? I tried for probably 30 minutes straight in the child arc, gave up and now have been trying off and on every time I'm in the area for a combined probably 20 attempts in the adult arc and still haven't gotten it. Getting really annoying and frustrating.
It is possible. Completely random.

Of course, you could wait until Scamco releases the carta card packs on PSN for ... how much was it on JPSN? $3? I can't remember. I dunno if they would release the packs on US PSN. They probably would. :lol

It is possible. Completely random.

Of course, you could wait until Scamco releases the carta card packs on PSN for ... how much was it on JPSN? $3? I can't remember. I dunno if they would release the packs on US PSN. They probably would. :lol

Well, we are due to getting some sort of DLC this upcoming store update. If it isn't costumes, then it is probably more in-game unlocking stuff.

Astra

Well, I'm in the Glacier Ruins, and just fought
Kurt
. Probably the hardest boss so far. The fucker hits hard, is hard to stagger, staggers you easily, has great melee range, attacks a wide area, traps you in a stun lock, and can break out of a stun lock himself. A seriously annoying boss. On the plus side, he has no guard breaking attacks (at least nothing he used while I fought him). This was the first battle in which I had to use an All-Divide.

Neki

Well, I'm in the Glacier Ruins, and just fought
Kurt
. Probably the hardest boss so far. The fucker hits hard, is hard to stagger, staggers you easily, has great melee range, attacks a wide area, traps you in a stun lock, and can break out of a stun lock himself. A seriously annoying boss. On the plus side, he has no guard breaking attacks (at least nothing he used while I fought him). This was the first battle in which I had to use an All-Divide.

He broke my guard all the time, lol.

RPGCrazied

Beat the main game at 42 hours. I haven't touched F arc yet. I will say that Bathus Citadel and the last dungeon have the most god awful puzzles. The ending was kinda cheesy too. Question about grade shop. I don't see 10x damage, nor do I see
use Richard the whole game.

Top Bottom