• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

lol

I played for a while today and got to some great moments. First, I
had to rescue Cheria from Strahta dudes. I have to say, Sophie is the best wing-man ever. She even forced Asbel and Cheria to hold hands. I was so proud of her.

Then I made my way to
Rokagong's (sp?) belly and finally got to hear all the butt jokes and such.

It was all really good and I'm enjoying this game more and more. I just need to dualize some more CC into my weapons so I can get flashier combos!

Edgeward

Holy shit, the first boss in the adult arc kicked my ass so bad. Had to bump it down to moderate to beat him. Still grasping how Asbel's b artes work since the first O attack only really draws his sword.

Fission mailed. =(

The store where I buy my games didn't get Graces, just because I didn't import it, now Abyss 3D they got just because I imported
and paid more for it -___-

I want to play Graces again.

I had to turn the dial down to Hard to fight
er, Edward's uncle, can't remember the name,
after a dozen attempts on Evil. I figured I could exploit hitting all of his weaknesses to get my super meter up but Asbel had nothing with the burn attribute. Funny thing, after turning down to Hard I pretty much embarrassed him with a complete owning. Then of course, the next boss
(Hubert)
on Evil went down after about three tries.

I think I need to start looking into dualizing those shards I'm getting onto my weapons and armors if I'm going to continue on this Evil route. I have yet to touch any of that stuff.

Just started Chapter Four.

feels good when you figure out how to beat a bossu
Malik at Wallbridge
. Got lucky since i wasn't being targeted lol.

I am still on Evil. got a little under 80 enemies to go to unlock chaos.

kewlmyc

I liked the story at first but now 2/3 of the way through, it's starting to piss me off.
Asbel is willing to let thousands of people throughout the world die by monsters or the destruction of the world just because he wants to save one person?! What the hell kind of logic is that? It's even more rageworthy that the game wants the player to think Asbel is in the right. Having Sophie die would be sad, but she'd be a hero at least.
I haven't been this disappointed in a story/character ever since... well, Tales of the Abyss. Hopefully the story makes a 180 soon.

Also,
him defending Richard even after he willingly took Lambda back into his body is full retard.

kewlmyc

Late Game Boss Spoiler:
Emeraude
IS ONE BIG BITCH!

What I did was have Asbel, Pascal, Malik, and Cheria. Asbel would go and get in her face and distract while the other three cast spells. Once a spell connected with her, Asbel would go in and continue with combos. I also used a hourglass when she went into Eleth mode if that helps.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I'd forgotten how crappy dungeons and levels were in this game. completely boring and uninspired. Not to mention tedious.

MechaX

Is it just me or there is just something so... bland about the voice acting in this game?

It seems like every non-Pascal actor is just asleep at the wheel, even despite how I have heard every VA do astronomically better in other roles.

BY2K

Membero Americo
What I did was have Asbel, Pascal, Malik, and Cheria. Asbel would go and get in her face and distract while the other three cast spells. Once a spell connected with her, Asbel would go in and continue with combos. I also used a hourglass when she went into Eleth mode if that helps.

Oh I got through it. Asbel, Hubert, Cheria and Pascal.

Anyway, side-quest time! Got the Gothic Lolita costume for Sophie.

And why do I feel like I'm sure I already saw that Dark Turtlez guy? Where is he?

Big B

I looked through a Inn Requests guide for the 5th time and it just dawned on me how much WORK you have to do to get that trophy. It's like 30 giant side quests. wat

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
How do I get the default costumes (swimsuit and formal)?

Neki

Kurt
is such a hard boss, my god. He was one shotting people with that close range attack and I had to equip the 1500 damage or more titles so I could actually survive it. And the constantly respawning enemies didn't help either. He seemed impossible to stagger too, I had to use 15 life Bottles and 10 grape gels, lol.

bubnbob

Banned
Is it normal that I'm not reaching the 60 second trophies on Normal? Also this game jacked up the difficulty once you reach Strahta (weird way of spelling, but).

Also omg

Cyandine instead of Undine

Lucentto

Banned
Just beat the main story. I enjoyed it a lot, definitely one of the better Tales game I have played. Get on Xillia already Namco.

I got an after-battle tooltip saying I could dualize gems if they are the same rank and stat combinations. I just went into my dualize window and I have a couple of gems but it says "Cannot be dualized." when I select it. Can anyone elaborate on the conditions for dualizing gems?

I'm thinking about dropping down from Chaos to Evil, while I can win and do well on Chaos, the enemy AI gangs up on you or your allies and kills really fast. I usually win just fine but I'm getting to the point where I'll be at full health then randomly die to the same group of monsters I just killed and got a no-hit bonus using the exact same strategy.

Im currently playing on normal. If i change the difficulty will I get better exp and sp? Or should I wait till I beat the game?
yeah mann just do what I do. When you wanna grind and level titles up mad fast, just put it to hard (or evil if you got it) and do it, you get tons more SP. Then when you want to continue the game, put it back on normal/moderate if you want.

You can change difficulties on the fly.

Neki

I should start doing that, but I don't want to ruin the difficulty by grinding too much, I always do it in every jRPG, lol.

I should start doing that, but I don't want to ruin the difficulty by grinding too much, I always do it in every jRPG, lol.
it's not my fault they made the levelling mechanics addicting as hell in this game. I always say to myself "one more arte.." or "one more stat boost" etc...

Neki

it's not my fault they made the levelling mechanics addicting as hell in this game. I always say to myself "one more arte.." or "one more stat boost" etc...

I know, the battle system in Tales games has always lended itself to grinding because of how solid it is.

Mine's 80GB non-BC.

I haven't noticed a pattern with it but I know better than to hit the home screen when it's saving. Though loading might be a different issue.

Do the music and sound all stop for you when you hit the PS Button? They do for me and I thought it was odd but not exceptionally so.

Everything stops for me when I use the PS button instead of pausing, and I haven't seen the game freeze, if that helps.

scy

Finally got the 60 second trophy for (Chapter 3)
Richard on Chaos
. And now, grinding in the desert (well,
inside the Rockgagong
). Mmm, 1k SP a fight.

If only I still had titles that needed (non-Master) SP.

Holy shit, the first boss in the adult arc kicked my ass so bad. Had to bump it down to moderate to beat him. Still grasping how Asbel's b artes work since the first O attack only really draws his sword.

I KNOW! Just beat that too!

It's fine for the most part... but when it starts shooting at Cheria/sophia when they are casting.

Fuuu... I guess for now, hard on everything... until bosses lol.

And a little thing I noticed. No clipping when Asbel sits down or picks up stuff! I'd rather have that than better visuals any days ;P

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
How do I get them? Is it from Magna Carta? o_O And what costumes can I get?

Yeah. Spoiler in case people want the surprise.
You beat the guy on easy/normal/hard and you get Yuri (Asbel), Patty (Sophie) and Rita (Cheria) titles/costumes

Rpgmonkey

Wow, right when I was talking about providing a more fluid method of giving the player access to a large number of artes without clunky shortcuts, it turns out several of Asbel's artes can be altered into another one by holding X or circle. So it's possible to have more A artes beyond the stock 15, and a B arte doesn't need to be equipped to a slot just to use it.

They really thought of everything here. :p

As I play this more this game goes higher and higher on my favorite Tales list. Anything about this game that isn't amazing, I at least find to be solid and competently designed. Might replace Rebirth as my #1, but I'm going to finish it once or twice before deciding that.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Finally got the 60 second trophy for (Chapter 3)
Richard on Chaos
. And now, grinding in the desert (well,
inside the Rockgagong
). Mmm, 1k SP a fight.

If only I still had titles that needed (non-Master) SP.
When I used to grind, I used to use other music. Took so long and I didn't want to get tired of the battle themes in the game because I knew I'd be hearing them a long time. By that time, I was getting sick and tired of Blinded by Light in FFXIII, so I figured that since Graces has a lesser soundtrack in comparison, I might as well play some other music to grind.

Wait until you get elsewhere. They throw SP at you like crazy.

I made it a point to feed every cat I came across, and now I'm missing some.

Bleh.
Which ones did you get so far? They're pretty much in every town. There's 10 of them. The one in Lhant shows up after a certain thing happens, though.

Is it just me or there is just something so... bland about the voice acting in this game?

It seems like every non-Pascal actor is just asleep at the wheel, even despite how I have heard every VA do astronomically better in other roles.
Now that I've started on Chapter 3, I think I'm inclined to agree--and it's not just because I'm used to the Japanese voicework either.

Some of the performances are unusually... flat, especially since the voice actors have done a better job in other games or anime. Sophie, Hubert, and Richard seem fine so far, but the others... well... Hm. I want to say that it's because I'm used to Sakurai voicing Asbel's lines that I'm not quite used to the English voice actor doing it, but I don't really like the performance much.

I got an after-battle tooltip saying I could dualize gems if they are the same rank and stat combinations. I just went into my dualize window and I have a couple of gems but it says "Cannot be dualized." when I select it. Can anyone elaborate on the conditions for dualizing gems?
I wouldn't worry about it right now until you get more gems to dualize with. Basically, Dualizing two pieces with the same rank/level (don't have to be the same nature) levels up the rank and ability (so... both should generally try to look the same, increase the same stats, and have the same rank/abilities).

If you want a tutorial with regards to dualization, here: It's time to du-du-du(alize)!

Disgaeamad said:
That's as awful as "emo" being thrown into Vesperia's localisation.
Wait. What?

*has only played the PS3 version*

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just got into this tonight and actually got all the way through the child stuff in one session. I got gripped into it a lot more than I expected right from the start, and I liked the way they ended that.

Sophie was really fun to play, but I noticed she was able to cast healing spells when I was controlling other people. Is there some way to do that when I'm controlling her that I missed?

VA wise, Aston(asbel's dad) stuck out to me as being really bad most of the time. Rest has been alright and seems better after the child arc.

Wait. What?

*has only played the PS3 version*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34k-Q_AQytI#t=9m19s

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Huh, I didn't know the English DLC is available in the US PSN already.

john tv

Please tell me you're joking. That's as awful as "emo" being thrown into Vesperia's localisation.
Should we have gone literal and called it the nonsensical "Dresser" to appease all the weeaboos who can't sleep at night w/o 100% keikaku in their localizations? :)

Should we have gone literal and called it the nonsensical "Dresser" to appease all the weeaboos who can't sleep at night w/o 100% keikaku in their localizations? :)

No, you could have put some actual effort into your work instead of being half-assed and choosing to appease the "omg epic meme bro XD" people instead. There's nothing "weeaboo" about disliking the use of shitty internet memes in professional localisations, especially when they're out of universe and just don't fit at all. I know you're trying to rally your fans here with a post like that, but the fact is you did a terrible job on that, get over it.

BluWacky

No, you could have put some actual effort into your work instead of being half-assed and choosing to appease the "omg epic meme bro XD" people instead. There's nothing "weeaboo" about disliking the use of shitty internet memes in professional localisations, especially when they're out of universe and just don't fit at all. I know you're trying to rally your fans here with a post like that, but the fact is you did a terrible job on that, get over it.

Since when is "hipster" an internet meme? Ask your grandparents if they know what a hipster is, and they'll answer you (the application of the term isn't that different).

What would you have put?

john tv

No, you could have put some actual effort into your work instead of being half-assed and choosing to appease the "omg epic meme bro XD" people instead. There's nothing "weeaboo" about disliking the use of shitty internet memes in professional localisations, especially when they're out of universe and just don't fit at all. I know you're trying to rally your fans here, but the fact is you did a terrible job on that, get over it.
"Hipster" is a meme now...?

Tales games are known for using modern colloquial language in spite of the "fantasy" setting; there's nothing out of universe about it. There's about a thousand instances in Japanese of words that would feel very "out of universe" in other games but are accepted just fine in Tales, because that's part of what Tales is. But I'm sure you're well aware of that since you're taking this Hipster thing so hard. :p

Anyway, you can't please everyone. I hope you can manage to enjoy the game regardless of this travesty!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Ohhhhhh, shit just got real in this thread. :lol

Sophie was really fun to play, but I noticed she was able to cast healing spells when I was controlling other people. Is there some way to do that when I'm controlling her that I missed?

VA wise, Aston(asbel's dad) stuck out to me as being really bad most of the time. Rest has been alright and seems better after the child arc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34k-Q_AQytI#t=9m19s
Sophie's only B-arte in child arc was First Aid. Cast that with O. Hold O and switch targets with the L-stick if you want to heal someone other than who the game is telling you to heal.

Yeah, Aston is kinda inconsistent. Good sometimes, but odd other times.

And oh wow, I haven't seen a lot of English Vesperia footage. Karol, Yuri, and Rita sound great.

Top Bottom