• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

Bladenic

Yeah the music is very weak save for a few. The battle themes are the weakest in the series to me, which is very disappointing. At this rate, Graces might best Hearts as weakest OST.

And one thing this game needed was positioning. Unless I'm missing something you can't position characters, so whomever is your lead will always start in front closest to enemies which sucks. Aggro is a whole other issue, though Vesperia had the same problem too (enemies love going for your character). Though at the same time, I've seen enemies ignore me and just go for my healers. Bosses especially love this.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
hmm I do wonder how well this game sold.

Well, Gamestop did their part by lighting up the site with Tales publicity two months before this sucker was out.

-->Guess I'll have to pre-order from Europe to get the DLC.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So I beat it. Reloaded the file, a new skit was available at the last save point, and I'm off running errands and fighting random people.

...but there's the Lineage & Legacies stuff. Which I also started up, and which seems to use your save file as a base.

So I guess I'm unclear on how to proceed. In the Lineage & Legacies stuff, can I do the main game's postgame content still? If I save over that file with the Lineage & Legacies file, is that stuff lost forever? Should I stick to the main game, and only start the Lineage & Legacies part when I'm satisfied by my progression in the main file and my character growth therein?
You can't do the main game's postgame content in Future Arc. You need to do it with the maingame save.

I'd do Future Arc first because you unlock Accel Mode and new Blast Calibers which you can use back in the main game when you reload the main game file. Just because they help a TON with the EX dungeon. You get the future arc stuff back in the main game.

Keep two separate saves (ex: main game save and future arc save) just in case you're feeling nervous about it or something. If you save after finishing the Future Arc, you'll be taken back to the main game, and not to Future Arc when you reload. If you still want to do things with future arc, make sure you save on a different file.

zulux21 said:
my problem with Cheria isn't so much with her dying as it is I just can't seem to manage to get off a heal spell as any any given time 75% of the enemies are after me thus the rest of the party dies while playing her because I can't get the AI to sophie to play her anything like I do (lots of quick dodging with hits to stun and quick heals)

As for Pascal... really I just need to sit down and figure out how she is played. I like her... but am having problems effectively using her as she just has something off about her (to me) that I haven't figure out yet. In general I tend to use the fighting/healing hybrid characters though, so it's not surprising I landed on sophie as my main. during a second playthough I will likely focus on the other two characters. I don't mind characters like Asbel and hubert but I find them less interesting than the other ones. In general I like playing as any given Tales character... heck despite hating collet in symphonia in general, I still found joy with spamming pow hammer with her lol
The only thing I really dislike about Sophie is her superfluous animations while she's attacking, and her moveset. I just like Jude a lot better because his animations are quick and his moveset is quite reminiscent of Senel's only he moves faster. I don't use too many MA characters in general in Tales but Senel and Jude are probably my favourites.

Regarding Cheria, if you aren't comfortable now, you could try her out later when she learns her cast reduction skills from titles so she'll cast faster. Just get away from the enemies and cast later on in the game. Enemies sure do love to chase her around, though, I've noticed. Sophie casts faster than her, but the disadvantage to Sophie's spells is that she can heal one person, while Cheria can heal multiple targets.

Bladenic

A question about Cheria. What is a title that gives her Nurse and how can I unlock it? I feel like I should definitely have that by now but I don't. I already have Revitalize and I'm in Chapter 6.

zulux21

Regarding Cheria, if you aren't comfortable now, you could try her out later when she learns her cast reduction skills from titles so she'll cast faster. Just get away from the enemies and cast later on in the game. Enemies sure do love to chase her around, though, I've noticed. Sophie casts faster than her, but the disadvantage to Sophie's spells is that she can heal one person, while Cheria can heal multiple targets.

Thanks for the heads up... I will likely just wait until later before I play Cheria and stick with Sophie until then.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
A question about Cheria. What is a title that gives her Nurse and how can I unlock it? I feel like I should definitely have that by now but I don't. I already have Revitalize and I'm in Chapter 6.
You can get it multiple ways. You can wait until she gets her Level 50 title called High-Level Professional Therapy or something, where she'll learn Nurse at Level 1 for that title.

Unsure what it's called in English, but it was called something like "Girl who protects a mother's will", where you can get it from too. You get it from Subevent 39:
In Fendel Mountain tunnel, you'll find a Anmarcian. Speak to him for a shovel, which can be handed over in Belanik's inn. Then he'll say he wants a drill, and you can get one from Anmarcia Village (in Pascal sister's room, which is next to Pascal's). Give him the drill. If you don't have the drill, he won't appear again until you have one.

There are other titles you can get Nurse from, but those are the two easier ways, imo.

Esura said:
Is there any post game content for this game?
Yes. A few Ex Dungeons, arena battles/cameo battles, and a future arc.

zulux21 said:
Thanks for the heads up... I will likely just wait until later before I play Cheria and stick with Sophie until then.
Yeah, Cheria gets her advantages after a while when she gets the cast reduction skills, so don't worry about it for now.

So I just have to say, Ghardia Shaft can fuck right off.

And Jesus Christ I thought I was at the end, please tell me the Depths aren't too long...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I swear I said prior to this game's release that the dungeons and dungeon design aren't anything special.

Regarding the Guardia Shaft, the Middle Layer was my least favourite. :/

Bladenic

Oh okay cool. I'm close to level 50 and also close to doing that sidequest I think haha. Revitalize's cast time is too long and the area isn't great. Raine's Revitalize will never be topped.

Also I've now seen Asbel's, Malik's, Pascal's, and Cheria's second mystic artes (in English). Innocent Garden being changed to Garden of Innocence seems somewhat unnecessary but oh well. I haven't seen Hubert's or Sophie's but currently I'd say:

Malik > Asbel > Cheria > Pascal

Pascal's first and second are fairly unimpressive, but got dayum her third is amazing. Love her.

Bladenic

What's the ideal party make up? I'm in chapter 4.

Either Asbel, Hubert, Sophie and Cheria (this party is best for a tough boss due to all the healing) or Asbel, Hubert, Malik, and Cheria (my personal fave). I love Pascal but I find it hard to use her in boss battles (regular battles she's pretty good). You could probably use Sophie instead of Cheria too.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I usually used Asbel, Cheria, Hubert and Pascal.

Chris25 said:
Innocent Garden being changed to Garden of Innocence seems somewhat unnecessary but oh well.
Innocent Garden rolls off the tongue easily, but Garden of Innocence sounds better in English since it makes a tad more sense given the context.

Bladenic

I usually used Asbel, Cheria, Hubert and Pascal.

Innocent Garden rolls off the tongue easily, but Garden of Innocence sounds better in English since it makes a tad more sense given the context.

True.

And damn, nobody uses Malik? His spells and mystic artes are so awesome.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
True.

I use Malik manually whenever I get the chance, lol. The only thing that I'd consider a knock against him--and if anyone plays Xillia in the future because Rowen is the same way--is that he's a bit of a glass cannon, so you have to be quite cautious when you're using him.

Bladenic

I use Malik manually whenever I get the chance, lol. The only thing that I'd consider a knock against him--and if anyone plays Xillia in the future because Rowen is the same way--is that he's a bit of a glass cannon, so you have to be quite cautious when you're using him.

True, though he does have the highest HP so it's a sort of trade I suppose. His spells are just amazing though, so powerful and large area. Plus he gets one of my favorite Tales spells (Blazing Hearts). And I'm sort of itching to play Xillia next if I can find it for fairly cheap, that or Destiny 2. But in most Xillia videos I've seen, Rowen has pathetically low HP compared to everyone else so if his defenses are also low, yikes.

Unfortunately I have a loaded week but next week is spring break so I will be definitely beating the game by then. Then proceeding to work towards the platinum!

zulux21

True.

I am using Malik, Sophie, Cheria, and Pascal so I am indeed using Malik lol. Malik will likely be changed to hubert when I get him though as it's my wife playing Malik and she will likely want Hubert instead.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
What exactly does Hubert say after his Level 1 MA? lol, my friend kept using it and we keep hearing "Instant balls."
It was called Instant Valse in the Japanese version. It's a waltz.

I heard they'd changed what it's called in the English version yet he still says the Japanese name, though.

True, though he does have the highest HP so it's a sort of trade I suppose. His spells are just amazing though, so powerful and large area. Plus he gets one of my favorite Tales spells (Blazing Hearts). And I'm sort of itching to play Xillia next if I can find it for fairly cheap, that or Destiny 2. But in most Xillia videos I've seen, Rowen has pathetically low HP compared to everyone else so if his defenses are also low, yikes.

Unfortunately I have a loaded week but next week is spring break so I will be definitely beating the game by then. Then proceeding to work towards the platinum!
Lucky. My reading week was in February. I *might* start hacking away at the English version when I get my study break in April, or maybe next weekend, but we'll see.

Yeah, the high HP is a tradeoff and makes him stand against attacks better, but he still boasts a rather low defense. But you can offset that because he has ranged and magic attacks, unless enemies run after him. As for Rowen, yep. His HP is really low... but Links usually try to offset that since your linked member tries to defend you or distract the enemy while you're doing something else.

What is missable exactly if I go to the future arc?
Nothing. After finishing it off you can just go back to the main game with Accel Mode learnd and new Blast Calibers. It makes the EX dungeon and cameo battle easier.

7MKav.jpg

When I read that at first, I thought he was referring to the fight between them, not because of the normal battle lol. Mind was blown for a sec.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just got past the Queen Slime fight. I was expecting it to be hard based on the stuff I read in this thread but it was easy...maybe Moderate isn't cutting it for me. :x

I'm really loving the combat.

I think hard is probably the best balance of difficulty without being frustrating early on, with moving on to evil when / if you feel comfortable. Everything below hard felt a bit to easy for me at least.

Just starting the last main story chapter, 42% of trophies done so far. Moving along kind of quickly now and not looking forward to being done with the game.

Oh boy people're starting to fire up the f side arc. To anyone playing on Evil/Chaos: you best be really prepared for that final boss. Holy christ.

And to anyone wanting to use Pascal but is struggling, make sure to always keep her on manual, and do everything possible to raise her min and/or max CC, because it's absolutely essential that she has enough for you to be able to pull off at least 3 A artes and then combo it into a B art (so about 10 CC is what you want minimum). Once you get spells like Maelstrom and Fearful Storm, the best strategy is to pull off her left/right style A artes 3 times (finishing off on the one where she jumps up, shoots, and then a bullet appears behind the enemy and drags it along to you) and immediately combo into one of those for awesome damage. Of course, some bosses'll just laugh in your face at that strategy, at which point you're best off just spamming her A artes at a distance (make the best use out of comboing the quick, long ranged ones) until you've learned her more deadly B artes. She is tricky to handle at first, but having played the entire game as her, and doing the same on this 2nd run, I found that she's definitely worth it.

Meanwhile I finally got the Vesperia outfits the other day since I missed them in the first playthrough, feels awesome using Sophie's Patty outfit and having 決着の刻.mp3 play in place of the awful regular battle themes that play all the way until the final dungeon (which has an awesome battle theme), makes me look forward to the Vesperia plat run as well.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Vesperia's plat makes me want to destroy the game sometimes.

Major respect to anyone who got the plat/1000G.

Disgaeamad said:
Oh boy people're starting to fire up the f side arc. To anyone playing on Evil/Chaos: you best be really prepared for that final boss. Holy christ.
Mmhmm, especially if you aren't leveled up a lot. Though once you level up a LOT and get some cool titles and get the 'go into battles solo' book, it's a rather interesting boss battle.

Vesperia's plat makes me want to destroy the game sometimes.

Major respect to anyone who got the plat/1000G.

Mmhmm, especially if you aren't leveled up a lot. Though once you level up a LOT and get some cool titles and get the 'go into battles solo' book, it's a rather interesting boss battle.

I've pretty much decided I want to plat every Tales game I can haha, but I'm certainly not looking forward to Vesperia's snowboarding minigame, it's gonna kill me.

And yeah, I've seen a couple of videos of people doing that fight on Chaos solo, and it's pretty amazing how different it is from when you're only paying attention to one character instead of trying to make sure all 4 are alive at all times.

kewlmyc

True.

I use him, then again, I use all the characters and constantly alternate them. A team of Asbel, Cheria, Malik, and Pascal raped a lot of the harder bosses in the game since the bosses couldn't defend against all the spells.

scy

Asbel, Hubert, Cheria, rotation (Malik preference, though). I think this is the first Tales game where I legitimately like every single character; picking my group is rough :(

Asbel, Hubert, Cheria, rotation (Malik preference, though). I think this is the first Tales game where I legitimately like every single character; picking my group is rough :(

Even if I don't like a character (personality or gameplay) I still train/use everyone because you never know when the game is going to drop a "you must use THIS character" or "you can't use THAT character" parts of the game. For bosses I use Asbel, Hubert, Cheria, and Sophie (only way to survive bosses on Evil/Chaos on a first run). For common fights I used Asbel/Hubert, Cheria/Sophie, Malak, and Pascal. They're spells dominate enemy parties.

Torraz

Same here. Graces was the first tales game in which I did not dislike any character. Xillia was the second.

Even if I don't like a character (personality or gameplay) I still train/use everyone because you never know when the game is going to drop a "you must use THIS character" or "you can't use THAT character" parts of the game. For bosses I use Asbel, Hubert, Cheria, and Sophie (only way to survive bosses on Evil/Chaos on a first run). For common fights I used Asbel/Hubert, Cheria/Sophie, Malak, and Pascal. They're spells dominate enemy parties.

Why no Richard?

bubnbob

Banned
I'd say Hubert is at the bottom of my list. When I saw the hi-ougi vids I thought "Man that dude looks awesome"

But his personality in the tween arc is straight douche status. Fuck that guy. Probably the type who saves sex for marriage.

Malik is also low because he is as plain as shit. Sorry Nier, but, you're boring.

My favorite character is probably Pascal because shes the only VA who ACTUALLY PUTS EFFORT INTO HER LINES.

Sophie is cute in that "d'awwwww" way.

Cheria is ok when she finally gets lively. When she starts whinging that she isnt getting any of that Asbel dick, I groan and roll my eyes.

Asbel is pretty standard fare.

Vesperia's cast and VA is miles better.

scy

Even if I don't like a character (personality or gameplay) I still train/use everyone because you never know when the game is going to drop a "you must use THIS character" or "you can't use THAT character" parts of the game.

Yeah but I always did that "just in case." Now, I'm rotating because I actually WANT to use everyone. It is a very nice change of pace.

For bosses I use Asbel, Hubert, Cheria, and Sophie (only way to survive bosses on Evil/Chaos on a first run).

While they'll probably get harder, Chaos hasn't really been that bad so far. Honestly, could really use another difficulty notch above it if things don't get vastly harder again.

...though, I'm a bit sad I doubt I'll get any 60s Trophies on Chaos anymore :(

Bladenic

I'd say Hubert is at the bottom of my list. When I saw the hi-ougi vids I thought "Man that dude looks awesome"

But his personality in the tween arc is straight douche status. Fuck that guy. Probably the type who saves sex for marriage.

Malik is also low because he is as plain as shit. Sorry Nier, but, you're boring.

My favorite character is probably Pascal because shes the only VA who ACTUALLY PUTS EFFORT INTO HER LINES.

Sophie is cute in that "d'awwwww" way.

Cheria is ok when she finally gets lively. When she starts whinging that she isnt getting any of that Asbel dick, I groan and roll my eyes.

Asbel is pretty standard fare.

Vesperia's cast and VA is miles better.

Agreed with the assertion regarding Vesperia, but I still like this cast, particularly Malik and Pascal. I realized that Graces's cast suffers from "not offensive at all yet nothing particularly stands out." Overall, they are pretty plain save for a few. It seems to me like the whole cast is awesome in everything but story scenes (skits, sidequests, victory quotes). In story scenes, most of them are just really boring, Asbel being the worst offender. Call me crazy but I found Asbel to be better as a kid.

Really wish some sidequests/scenes were voiced. The scene where Pascal and her friend discuss the males in the party was amazing.

i've been saving new files after boss fights. i had to do 2 bosses on hard because Evil/Chaos against
Cedric/Richard
can lol. but on hard after lvling up so quick too easy. probably will go back and grind a bit to do those again.

Esura

Banned
Am I the only one who don't like using Malik? Right now I have every one in my party at level 30 but Malik, who is at 25.

Earlier someone mentioned that all shard locations (i.e. the areas where each type could be obtained) are on the jp wiki. Can someone provide a link to the page? I can read enough jp to understand the page, but not enough to find the page on my own without a link

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

This post made me laugh so hard. These are awesome descriptions.

I haven't played the English version since Friday, but I'm inclined to agree with you with regards to some of the VAs. I think Malik ends up being a better character towards the end, though. A lot of the characters get a lot better towards the end.

Earlier someone mentioned that all shard locations (i.e. the areas where each type could be obtained) are on the jp wiki. Can someone provide a link to the page? I can read enough jp to understand the page, but not enough to find the page on my own without a link
Here you go. :)

http://www23.atwiki.jp/talesofgracesf/pages/65.html

Scroll down until you see 入手場所別欠片表. Most of the later ones are in the Zone Cage, but you obviously need them now.

I never really saw it a problem that the VAs are so flat and serious in the beginning of the Adult Arc, mostly cause the characters are supposed to be flat and serious during then. Pascal is just genki all the time so of course her VA would show emotion. They all open up further in the game.

Man, do I hate the enemies some time. Blast through them easily in a few battles on evil and one battle they suddenly get wise and gang up on one person, one after another, till I have to reload from a save point.

scy

Hell, one of the characters being less serious is an actual plot point.

And Cheria's wistfulness to lack of Asbel dick is what endears her to me. I'm part of the problem and I'm okay with that.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Cheria was one of my favourite characters next to Hubert and Pascal, actually. And Malik ended up being pretty cool after Chapter 5.

I haven't gotten to
the part where Cheria bitches at Asbel or when Hubert joins the party
in the English version yet, but if them opening up and the VA (especially in the post-battle dialogue) gets better, that's cool. I do sorta wonder if Cheria's still rather flat during battle after that part, though.

Top Bottom