• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Just wanna say that my niece loves the game coz it's full of flowers, it's cutesy, colorful, and it has Sophie. :p

I'm what I think might be the end of the game.

Beat Richard and then Lambda went inside the woman from that other planet, which was another boss battle
.That boss battle... I used all-divide, got it so close to death, but then lost at the very end. I had a 102 combo, too... So crushed...

I have two options... 1) load my save file, go to the entrance of the dungeon, and buy extra equipment, but I'd have to navigate through the dungeon and
fight Richard again, plus spend lots of money on Mythril stuff
. 2) lower the difficulty from Moderate to Normal.

drakkykun

Just beaten
Cedric
on Evil at around level 30 on my second try. It wasn't all that hard. All you have to do is stagger him with Asbel's B Artes and obviously have both Cheria and Sophie focus on healing.
Also, have everyone equip their paralysisproof title.

Aspiring

So I just finished up
the Malik fight on some bridge
and although I have really enjoyed it, it has not quite grip me like vesperia did. That's not a bad thing though because it is still amazing and it is really starting to get really good now. It just has a slow start. Also the battle system is a lot more complex than vesperia. All in all it's amazing. It's so pretty. I love it, please namco more tales!!!

Jucksalbe

Banned
My copy from Planetaxel finally arrived today. Figures it arrives the same day as Neptunia 2. Now I probably have to fight for the PS3.

It was a mess from the perspective of
oh hey, there are two characters and they have different perspectives of the story, except one of them have a bunch of plotholes in her story so you should really do the boy's story first but lol, why would you want to do a guy's story first?!
That bit felt quite disjointed and I wish they'd handled that better.

Now that I'm making an effort to talk about it, I had a lot of criticisms for Xillia despite enjoying it. :/

Maybe I'm a bit less annoyed about that whole thing because I bought it planning on doing Jude's side followed by Mira's side, and thus when I did Mira's side for the plat run I could appreciate all the stuff that was unique to it while knowing about the gaping plot hole. It's definitely a flaw, and they should have pointed out that you should do Jude's side first, but I know people who ended up doing Mira's first and then Jude's and still thought the narrative was brilliant.

Not trying to say the game's perfect and does no wrong, but some of the criticisms you and kayos give it (some of which I even agree with!) are expressed in ways that make them seem like devastating flaws and is kinda unfair.

I feel like some sort of one man Xillia Defence Force, maybe I should stop haha.

I'm what I think might be the end of the game.

Beat Richard and then Lambda went inside the woman from that other planet, which was another boss battle
.That boss battle... I used all-divide, got it so close to death, but then lost at the very end. I had a 102 combo, too... So crushed...

I have two options... 1) load my save file, go to the entrance of the dungeon, and buy extra equipment, but I'd have to navigate through the dungeon and
fight Richard again, plus spend lots of money on Mythril stuff
. 2) lower the difficulty from Moderate to Normal.

Keep trying! I went into that fight with 7 life bottles on Evil first time round and always used them all about 3/4's into the fight, which ended up in me dying a lot, but after refusing to submit I eventually managed to win. Persistence is the key.

I'm really glad I stuck with this game. Getting though the first act almost made me shelf the game. I'm now 10hr in and very involved with the plot and chanters and having a blast with the fighting system.

I dunno if it will over take Vesperia as my favorite Tales game but its almost a lock for number 2.

Beats

When I say 3ds... it's mainly the production value. It's what I'd expect out of a 3ds or psp title, not out of a $60 game. I know they are all separate teams and that this is technically an HD rerelease, but besides the battle system everything else feels like a regression from Vesperia AND Symphonia 2.

I haven't played Vesperia, but I don't see how the other parts of ToS2 are better than what's in Graces. :\

Chris R

Spent about 2.5 hours playing last night after getting my copy from Amazon. Liking in a whole lot more than ToV so far. Story isn't as bad as some of you were making it out to be, and the combat is as good as promised.

Bladenic

Spent about 2.5 hours playing last night after getting my copy from Amazon. Liking in a whole lot more than ToV so far. Story isn't as bad as some of you were making it out to be, and the combat is as good as promised.

Not to be the bearer of bad news but you might be disappointed later. Of course YMMV. For all the shit some people in this topic have given Vesperia's story, Graces's suffers from the same problems except the first parts are less interesting and the cast is worse.

But dat battle system! Still love the game.

luca1980

Banned
1 hours after first arc...
not bad, not bad.
i still don't understand a thing of the battle system but it's fun: robably i should set combat to semi auto o manual to learn things as the ai and quick battles don't help the process...
i have some problem also with the dodge system, half of the times asbel go in parry mode in place of dodging at ease...

loading could be better, music is ok, far better than the early preview imho.
art design interesting, town design nothing special, dungeon design nothing special.
plot slow but interesting, lol at sophie (kosmos\momo rip off?)

Ravage

IMHO, this game blows Vesperia out of the water in every way. Both great games, this one I just like a whole lot more.

I'm one of those who plays Tales solely for the gameplay (none of the stories in the series did anything to me) so Graces is easily my favourite Tales game to date. By quite a margin too.

Muddimar

1 hours after first arc...
not bad, not bad.
i still don't understand a thing of the battle system but it's fun: robably i should set combat to semi auto o manual to learn things as the ai and quick battles don't help the process...
i have some problem also with the dodge system, half of the times asbel go in parry mode in place of dodging at ease...

loading could be better, music is ok, far better than the early preview imho.
art design interesting, town design nothing special, dungeon design nothing special.
plot slow but interesting, lol at sophie (kosmos\momo rip off?)

I'm in the same boat. I don't fully understand the battle system, but I'm slowly learning little things here and there as I play. I thought Sophie was fucking annoying in the child arc, my friend and I were making fun of her the whole time "Flowers?" "Love?" "Friends?" "Parents?" "Sadness?"...lol

What would people consider to be a high level for the first time reaching Fendel? I need to know if I'm grinding too much or too little lol...

I know it depends on difficulty but just generally speaking..

scy

What would people consider to be a high level for the first time reaching Fendel? I need to know if I'm grinding too much or too little lol...

I know it depends on difficulty but just generally speaking..

Chaos since basically the start of the game and I hit 50 on the way. It's probably overleveled but the fights are still worth a good amount of EXP (1k+ on some of them). Most my "grinding" has just been getting Soul Orbs or respawning an area for shinies for Carta cards.

So beat the main game last night and I have to say I'm a bit disappointed.

Ending Spoilers ENDING SPOILERS!:
Wow was that an unfulfilling ending. It pretty much didn't resolve anything for any of the characters. I understand that there's still lineage & legacies, but damn people must have been pissed at the original release.

Also, damn Lambda's VA was terrible in the ending. It might have been some of the worst I've ever heard. He single handedly ruined that part of the ending.

FSLink

Banned
Mocapped rigs is one.

Better music IMO. Better dungeon/ world design.

Story in symphonia 2 is god awful though, so I'll give that to graces.

Parts of Graces is mocapped as well I thought.
And better music, eh, I did like the new tracks, but a lot of it is remixed Phantasia/Symphonia tracks.

Chaos since basically the start of the game and I hit 50 on the way. It's probably overleveled but the fights are still worth a good amount of EXP (1k+ on some of them). Most my "grinding" has just been getting Soul Orbs or respawning an area for shinies for Carta cards.
ahh that's good to hear then. I haven't even played chaos once and I'm at level 43ish.

Parts of Graces is mocapped as well I thought.
And better music, eh, I did like the new tracks, but a lot of it is remixed Phantasia/Symphonia tracks.

Yeah. I believe when the dialogue does not have the text bubbles = that. But still nothing really happens during those sequences. All the 'action' usually transpires with some out of place anime sequence. And when I mean out of place I mean that the VA sound completely different! Different studio?

MarkusRJR

Just bought Tales of Vesperia (Xbox 360), Tales of the Abyss (3DS), and Tales of Graces f (PS3). So much JRPG goodness.

Say Goodbye to my non-existent social life. :D

Varion

Ending Spoilers ENDING SPOILERS!:
Wow was that an unfulfilling ending. It pretty much didn't resolve anything for any of the characters. I understand that there's still lineage & legacies, but damn people must have been pissed at the original release.

Also, damn Lambda's VA was terrible in the ending. It might have been some of the worst I've ever heard. He single handedly ruined that part of the ending.
Ending spoilers:
They... weren't? In fact this is the first time I've seen someone complaining about the ending specifically. A lot of people said the story was too generic and whatnot, and most people agree it's fairly typical of the genre for better or for worse, but no, you're really the first person I've seen who thought the ending was unsatisfying. Other than that very last scene with the book, which is pretty puzzling before the extra chapter, I liked it personally. Not as much as the postgame chapter's, but I didn't have any issues with the game ending on it in the Wii version.

Though I didn't have to put up with the dub at least. Lambda's voice in Japanese is pretty much spot on. Part of me is curious how bad it can be.

Ending spoilers:
They... weren't? In fact this is the first time I've seen someone complaining about the ending specifically. A lot of people said the story was too generic and whatnot, and most people agree it's fairly typical of the genre for better or for worse, but no, you're really the first person I've seen who thought the ending was unsatisfying. Other than that very last scene with the book, which is pretty puzzling before the extra chapter, I liked it personally. Not as much as the postgame chapter's, but I didn't have any issues with the game ending on it in the Wii version.

Though I didn't have to put up with the dub at least. Lambda's voice in Japanese is pretty much spot on. Part of me is curious how bad it can be.

Well, I just thought it was a very mediocre way to end a relatively mediocre story.

I still love the game to death, but the ending just felt off to me.

luca1980

Banned
Sophie was fucking annoying in the child arc, my friend and I were making fun of her the whole time "Flowers?" "Love?" "Friends?" "Parents?" "Sadness?"...lol
Lol, that's not different at all from the lines in game lol.
Anyway I think the map in the game could be a lot better. I mean world map exploration is similar to ffx before calm lands, seeing the early pics of graces I was hoping for a dq8 like approach

Just beat the main story arc final boss last night on evil with my party at 71, Let me just say that he is a gigantic cheesy douchebag, particularly when he gets low hp.

Playing Carta Card on hard to unlock the costume

*starts game*
*computer grabs first card before I can even think*
*gets on gaf to wait til I lose*
*repeat*

-.-

scy

Playing Carta Card on hard to unlock the costume

*starts game*
*computer grabs first card before I can even think*
*gets on gaf to wait til I lose*
*repeat*

-.-

You can pause the game as soon as the quote is said if you need the time to think / remember what that character looked like.

It's mostly the Swordians that screw me over, I played Destiny PSX but those 5 pictures are from the Remake version, so I don't recognize them at all

LOL Start spam made this a joke thanks

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Can I hope that Haseo comes out today? Omg!!! Also the ending sucks cuz of the voice acting for me. Ugh.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Guess what Schala?!!!!
Did they put another trailer up? -_-

Maybe I'm a bit less annoyed about that whole thing because I bought it planning on doing Jude's side followed by Mira's side, and thus when I did Mira's side for the plat run I could appreciate all the stuff that was unique to it while knowing about the gaping plot hole. It's definitely a flaw, and they should have pointed out that you should do Jude's side first, but I know people who ended up doing Mira's first and then Jude's and still thought the narrative was brilliant.

Not trying to say the game's perfect and does no wrong, but some of the criticisms you and kayos give it (some of which I even agree with!) are expressed in ways that make them seem like devastating flaws and is kinda unfair.

I feel like some sort of one man Xillia Defence Force, maybe I should stop haha.
No, I agree with you with regards to Xillia's narrative flow:
they really should have told the player that you should've done Jude's side first. I did Jude's side first, but I recall a lot of people saying in the OT that since they picked Milla's side first, they had no idea what was going on in the narrative until they picked Jude's side, which is quite unfortunate and somewhat odd storytelling. And then doing Milla's side for myself and seeing that there were plotholes, I just thought they should've had the player do it from the perspective of Jude first and then have Milla's side as an unlockable. If they wanted more than one protagonist, something like the Trinity Sight System from Genso Suikoden III would have been more favourable to the narrative. Instead, the storytelling is a bit of a mess if the player picks the wrong choice.

Either way, they could have picked a better way of telling the story from both perspectives, I guess.

And I'm mostly poking fun at Xillia. Even though I like it, I just don't like some of the things it did with the gameplay (in terms of streamlining or a lack of skills balancing in some parts) or environment design (save for towns). kayos likes Xillia more than I do but he's trying not to show it!

Lambda's voice in the JP version is pretty badass.

I don't know who did it in the English version, but from what I've seen, it kinda... well... it's not as good, to put it lightly.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Did they put another trailer up? -_-

No, I agree with you with regards to Xillia's narrative flow:
they really should have told the player that you should've done Jude's side first. I did Jude's side first, but I recall a lot of people saying in the OT that since they picked Milla's side first, they had no idea what was going on in the narrative until they picked Jude's side, which is quite unfortunate and somewhat odd storytelling. And then doing Milla's side for myself and seeing that there were plotholes, I just thought they should've had the player do it from the perspective of Jude first and then have Milla's side as an unlockable. If they wanted more than one protagonist, something like the Trinity Sight System from Genso Suikoden III would have been more favourable to the narrative. Instead, the storytelling is a bit of a mess if the player picks the wrong choice.

Either way, they could have picked a better way of telling the story from both perspectives, I guess.

And I'm mostly poking fun at Xillia. Even though I like it, I just don't like some of the things it did with the gameplay (in terms of streamlining or a lack of skills balancing in some parts) or environment design (save for towns). kayos likes Xillia more than I do but he's trying not to show it!

In class I'll post when I get back

Varion

Well, I just thought it was a very mediocre way to end a relatively mediocre story.

I still love the game to death, but the ending just felt off to me.
Well naturally I'm not going to tell you the story was anything amazing (for some reason I seem to like it more every time I play through the game, but the first time I played it back on the Wii I was pretty disappointed overall), but I still liked the ending.

Curious, what points did you feel were unresolved?

Ending:
Lambda's voice in the JP version is pretty badass.

I don't know who did it in the English version, but from what I've seen, it kinda... well... it's not as good, to put it lightly.
Ending:
Yeah I looked it up on Youtube and... no. For some reason in my mind I can't help but picture a moustached Disney villain talking. "Work together? REEEEEEALLY?" I loved his Japanese voice.

Also I was one of those people who picked Mira first and really wished there was some kind of 'Recommended for your first time' note on Jude's. But after playing both routes and doing all the subquests I don't really hold it against the game. It was annoying though.

Yuterald

Man, some of the invisible wall/cut off points early in the game are starting to bother me. I've been trying to farm enemies until I earn their Soul Orbs before moving on with the game. There was a moment where I didn't save for awhile and I walked out of a particular dungeon and now I can't go back into it. I'm sure you can explore old areas by the end/post game, but the little speech "I can't go here right now" bubbles are a bit excessive at times.

I understand that you are constantly on the run from the Dukes of Whatever Houses, but why design the fields and flow of the game like this if you are going to have to put up move-location barriers at practically every intersection? At least the battle system continues to be everything it was made out to be.

I just got Pascal too and she is super annoying. Not Feather-Folk SO4 bad, but still unarguably obnoxious. Oh, I do like how a lot of character specific Titles in this game are tied to other game elements like talking to NPCs, finding treasure chests, filling up the monster books. I noticed Pascal has treasure chest related titles and she kind of has that spelunker/treasure thief-kinda look to her. I know previous Tales games have done shit like this before, but it's still a neat idea in general.

Top Bottom