• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

Jeels

So these suits can only be obtained though DLC correct? Don't want to buy something I can earn in game

Suits are definitely DLC only.

Edit: Question - to those following the JPN DLC release schedule, did the school outfits come out a week after the suits?

Pretty tempted to get the costumes. Well, probably Malik's at least.
But knowing me, I'll probably get them all. Partoftheproblem here.

I don't remember but are the attachment DLC only? I know there are some in game, but the ones in stores are DLC only correct?

Pretty tempted to get the costumes. Well, probably Malik's at least.
But knowing me, I'll probably get them all. Partoftheproblem here.

I don't remember but are the attachment DLC only? I know there are some in game, but the ones in stores are DLC only correct?

This, also are the 6 books DLC only or can I get them in game as well?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Graces:
I dunno, that kind of fits the rest of the plot, surely? I could completely understand someone disliking the plot for it, but disliking just the ending for it strikes me as a bit odd.

Xillia: Yeah, I'm still not entirely sure that the two protagonists thing was really worth it, but oh well. They kind of rubbed it in with the whole 'Yeah, a lot happened. Tell you what? Nah, you'll find out in the other route!' skits too. Especially as so much important stuff happened in that giant plot hole. It's definitely a game where you have to do everything to fully stick it all together and appreciate it (I was really surprised how much a few sidequests added to the story too), but it was worth it when I did. But I still wish I'd done Jude's first.
Graces: It does, so I dunno.
I'm guessing that if you didn't like the plot, the ending can feel dissatisfying. Perhaps they might get something out of the f arc? I really liked the f arc ending.

Xillia: They honestly should've made either one the sole protagonist and made the other path an extra or a NG+ sort of thing if they were going to tell the story like that. Ah well. That's my only beef with the storytelling. Everything else, I felt, was fine.

Ahahahaha DLC is up, suit costumes are $4 each, attachments 99 cents.

WHY DO I WANT TO BUY THESE
Might buy Asbel's suit costume, then. Comes with a title, and I liked the design. But that's it.

I liked Xillia's costumes a little more, and the DLC music's better in that game.

ROFL @ all the bitching about dlc prices. Still cheaper than Japan.
The Japanese prices were ridiculous.

This, also are the 6 books DLC only or can I get them in game as well?
You can get them in-game so don't waste your money.

Koroviev

Yeah, and I thought SE was crazy with its $3 costumes. I will buy Haseo and or Flynn's for $4 though. :p Those are the only ones I'll spend that much on.

Yikes. I was in for maybe $2 for a set, but screw $4 for one lousy costume. That's more or less a full-fledged Steam sale game :mad:

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Wondering why some of you are shocked with regards to the pricing.

This is Scamco.

Edit: Question - to those following the JPN DLC release schedule, did the school outfits come out a week after the suits?
With regards to Graces F, they came out on Dec 16. The original JP release came out on Dec 2nd, so... two weeks, I guess?

Each costume cost 400 yen ($5-ish at the time). The attachments were 100 yen ($1.20) too.

Rpgmonkey

Is it possible to get the costumes in a complete set here or is it the same "no choice but to pay for each one" stunt they pulled with the Japanese version?

Not buying them either way, just curious.

And I just fought
Veigue
at Riot Peak. I like how the party has a conversation with him before the fight, all the references put a smile on my face, lol. I don't remember any Tales game really doing it this way aside from a "who the heck was that?!" skit after the fight either, so it was a nice touch.

RPGCrazied

I did get the watermelon and innertube attachment in game though.

And I just fought
Veigue
at Riot Peak. I like how the party has a conversation with him before the fight, all the references put a smile on my face, lol. I don't remember any Tales game really doing it this way aside from a "who the heck was that?!" skit after the fight either, so it was a nice touch.

Would you happen to know where the sword is he is looking for?

I do wonder if tales games will eventually have unique armor piece graphics... but that would ruin their dlc plans!

oh no!

And the unrated ign review... I like the format but I can see people arguing that if people has the time to finish up skyrim or reckoning for review, why can't they for this?

BY2K

Membero Americo
And I just fought
Veigue

I don't think anything beats Yeager's in-battle dialogue for the amount of Tales references in 5 minutes.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I have maybe one other Bamco game and I usually don't buy DLC costumes or the like.
I bought the school costume for Xillia, and that's because I liked the school battle theme so much.

The Kratos "End of a Thought" costume for Xillia was quite tempting but I decided not to get it in the end. The Zelos costume for Graces could've been cool but the Graces f version of Beat the Angel lacks the awesome bells and it's an overall lacklustre theme.

But Namco likes to add overpriced DLC to everything like Ridge Racer, Soul Calibur, Tales, etc... so it isn't really surprising.

Varion

Side quest spoiler:
It's got at the end of a sidequest chain where you bump into a bunch of weirdos in every town throughout the game. Go through them all (starting in Grelesyde or however they spell it) then when you're at the end of the game go to Asbel's home in Lhant and you'll find them again, then you get it.

Yuterald

Wait, did I read awhile back in this thread that people hated the Wallbridge Ruins dungeon? What the fuck!? Don't tell me people were getting lost or aggravated with this place? O_O
That was like the first dungeon in the game where it required you to use an ounce of your brain! These are the exact kind of dungeons I was expecting in a Tales game. Up to this point everything has been an in-the-way-kinda dungeon.

I thought the dungeon was really cute. I love mini dungeon ideas in RPGs, especially in games where the dungeons are clearly not the emphasis. It even had wrap around kind of backtracking towards the end (or what I have personally termed as "Wrap-Around Couches".
I love it in RPGs/games where you can see a part of a dungeon, say at the start, that you cannot access until later.

Grant it, I've made dungeons like this in old RPG Maker projects, lol, so it's definitely not impressive, but that's not the point. Even though clearly this game is all about the battle mechanics I'd like to AT LEAST see the devs try and come up with some interesting dungeon designs. There is really no excuse when other RPGs marriage great battle and progression systems with good exploration and dungeon creativity. The story got a tad bit more interesting down there too. Still enjoying the game in general.

EDIT: Oh, and holy shit does Chaos give you a lot of SP! I average around 330 during most battles! =D

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
RVo8F.jpg

MwXHU.jpg

Oh yeah Schala! Rofl. It was a gift from my brother. Super lucky. Anyway getting back to topic, we probably won't get some of the DLC costumes because they're licensed to different companies. i don't think NB wants to deal with the trouble. That might be why we might not see Miku or Geass.

Rpgmonkey

I was saving most of the requests for a second run, but I looked on a jp wiki and you get it from a sidequest apparently. Basically you go to various inns and talk to a kid named Joe.

-Second floor of Gralesyde's inn
-Second floor of Baronia's inn
-In front of Oul Raye's inn
-Around Sable Izole's inn
-Yu Liberte's inn
-Star marker around Warrior's Roost's inn
-In Velanik's inn
-Zavhert's inn
-Around the Amarcian Enclave inn
-In the guest room of Lhant Manor

You get some titles and other goodies out of it too.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Wait, did I read awhile back in this thread that people hated the Wallbridge Ruins dungeon? What the fuck!? Don't tell me people were getting lost or aggravated with this place? O_O
That was like the first dungeon in the game where it required you to use an ounce of your brain! These are the exact kind of dungeons I was expecting in a Tales game. Up to this point everything has been an in-the-way-kinda dungeon.

I thought the dungeon was really cute. I love mini dungeon ideas in RPGs, especially in games where the dungeons are clearly not the emphasis. It even had wrap around kind of backtracking towards the end (or what I have personally termed as "Wrap-Around Couches".
I love it in RPGs/games where you can see a part of a dungeon, say at the start, that you cannot access until later.

Grant it, I've made dungeons like this in old RPG Maker projects, lol, so it's definitely not impressive, but that's not the point. Even though clearly this game is all about the battle mechanics I'd like to AT LEAST see the devs try and come up with some interesting dungeon designs. There is really no excuse when other RPGs marriage great battle and progression systems with good exploration and dungeon creativity.

I like all dungeon up to the point where I stopped. Also I don't get it when people complained about wallbridge dungeon as well.
Hubert just joined my party. FINALLY. I hate him when I had to fight him after the skit. He is harder than I thought.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

EDIT: Oh, and holy shit does Chaos give you a lot of SP! I average around 330 during most battles! =D
I really disliked it when I played through it in my first playthrough. Second playthrough, not so bad, third playthrough (ie: last night): easy-peasy.

I just really dislike the music and aesthetics of the place.

And doesn't Chaos just spoil you? :3

Oh yeah Schala! Rofl. It was a gift from my brother. Super lucky. Anyway getting back to topic, we probably won't get some of the DLC costumes because they're licensed to different companies. i don't think NB wants to deal with the trouble. That might be why we might not see Miku or Geass.
Lucky! I saw that on Amazon Japan for lots of cash (even if it was discounted!), so your brother's awesome.

Yeah, I doubt the Miku costume'll come over here, but the Geass costumes might be okay since Bandai has the license for that here.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Maaaaaaan. I just got control of the
spaceship
and went exploring and discovered TONS of places. Then I found a crater... And got myself blown up. Needless to say, my last save point was right before the previous two bosses. EFF.

farnham

Banned
so anybody that watched the ending

is that kid at the end the kid of asbel and sophie (he plays with her) or asbel and cheria (hair)

kewlmyc

Eh, I'll wait till all of the DLC costumes are out and then buy them all like the idiot I am. Hopefully the Idolmaster, Geass, and Miku costumes are released here. Those are the only ones that might have problems.

Also, the spell book set that contains the book that cuts damage in half, is that in the game somewhere or is it only DLC? I want it so the final boss can stop kicking my ass.

Bladenic

Bought the Malik suit, now kinda regretting it because 4 bucks for a costume? I hate this gen. Not really. But I hate DLC like this.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
canon or speculation ?
as there is no clear scene in the entire game
Future Arc spoilers:
The Future Arc kind of makes the pairing more obvious, and it implies at the end that they did get married. I can't recall if Sophie discussing with Cheria her dream of playing with Cheria and Asbel's descendants was in the future arc or the main game. Though I suppose I figured it was obvious given the child's features as a hybrid of Cheria and Asbel, wearing a butterfly brooch much like Cheria's.

I sorta recall that this was a bit of an issue during Graces' initial release too, lol. And then there was a bit of a kerfuffle when Graces f was released.

Jeels

Related to the beat boss in 60 seconds trophies: Does the timer keep going while you have pushed the triangle menus open?

Shouta

Xillia: They honestly should've made either one the sole protagonist and made the other path an extra or a NG+ sort of thing if they were going to tell the story like that. Ah well. That's my only beef with the storytelling. Everything else, I felt, was fine.

Jude's path is perfectly fine aside from not getting an explanation for
Milla all of a sudden coming back after what happened
, at least as far as I can remember. It wasn't particularly needed either to maintain the story's progression. I'd assume seeing it from Milla's perspective would have some clues as to what's going on or the writers felt the player had to make a few suppositions as to what was going on. Could've done just one path though but eh, this was more interesting. Suikoden III's version was far too disjointed to me for something that was taken farther.

RPGCrazied

I was saving most of the requests for a second run, but I looked on a jp wiki and you get it from a sidequest apparently. Basically you go to various inns and talk to a kid named Joe.

-Second floor of Gralesyde's inn
-Second floor of Baronia's inn
-In front of Oul Raye's inn
-Around Sable Izole's inn
-Yu Liberte's inn
-Star marker around Warrior's Roost's inn
-In Velanik's inn
-Zavhert's inn
-Around the Amarcian Enclave inn
-In the guest room of Lhant Manor

You get some titles and other goodies out of it too.

Thanks. Man that group is really weird, and had me laughing every time I met em. :p

I just got the trophy for beating it on moderate. Still haven't been to F arc yet. No one answered me about this, but inn requests, I'm seeing a lot of new ones pop up in places where I thought it was done. Do they eventually stop, or not? Is there a trophy for doing all the inn requests? I even did the first level of Zhonecage. My team is around 65.

Also, can you return to
Fodra at all? There is a costume for Malik there and I missed it. :(

scy

Eh, I'll wait till all of the DLC costumes are out and then buy them all like the idiot I am. Hopefully the Idolmaster, Geass, and Miku costumes are released here. Those are the only ones that might have problems..

If they're not in, pre-order canc...wait, shit.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Related to the beat boss in 60 seconds trophies: Does the timer keep going while you have pushed the triangle menus open?
It pauses the action, but I don't think so otherwise I would've seen someone on any JP site mention it by now. I just went in and tried to combo the enemy as quickly as I could (while keeping a combo high to make attacks chain better) without entering menus or pausing.

Jude's path is perfectly fine aside from not getting an explanation for
Milla all of a sudden coming back after what happened
, at least as far as I can remember. It wasn't particularly needed either to maintain the story's progression. I'd assume seeing it from Milla's perspective would have some clues as to what's going on or the writers felt the player had to make a few suppositions as to what was going on. Could've done just one path though but eh, this was more interesting. Suikoden III's version was far too disjointed to me for something that was taken farther.
The dual storytelling was an interesting premise, but the execution wasn't as great as I would've liked it to be. But the overall plot was nice anyway.

Off-topic, but: Suikoden III's method of storytelling probably would've worked better had there being dual protagonists as opposed to a trio
or quartet after finishing the game
to reduce the repetitive play. Though...
I don't think too highly of Suikoden III outside of the narrative and ability growth systems. Love the narrative, but I have issues with the game part of it, which is a shame given that it's my favourite series ever.

Thanks. Man that group is really weird, and had me laughing every time I met em. :p

I just got the trophy for beating it on moderate. Still haven't been to F arc yet. No one answered me about this, but inn requests, I'm seeing a lot of new ones pop up in places where I thought it was done. Do they eventually stop, or not? Is there a trophy for doing all the inn requests? I even did the first level of Zhonecage. My team is around 65.

Also, can you return to
Fodra at all? There is a costume for Malik there and I missed it. :(
Yes and yes. The trophy for doing inn requests is the Gentleman Defeated trophy (or whatever they called it in the English version because I think it has a more elegant title on the NA trophy list).

And yeah, you should be able to.

Koroviev

I bought the school costume for Xillia, and that's because I liked the school battle theme so much.

The Kratos "End of a Thought" costume for Xillia was quite tempting but I decided not to get it in the end. The Zelos costume for Graces could've been cool but the Graces f version of Beat the Angel lacks the awesome bells and it's an overall lacklustre theme.

But Namco likes to add overpriced DLC to everything like Ridge Racer, Soul Calibur, Tales, etc... so it isn't really surprising.

Oh, they're the ones behind the Ridge Racer fiasco? Well, that speaks for itself ._.

And that's a cool theme, so I can't blame you :p

I'm interested in costumes for this game, but I really wish they came in reasonably priced sets....wishful thinking -_-

Verelios

I only have about 30 Carta cards. There are over 70 right?

Dear lord, can someone just point the most hidden ones out to me? Reloading and checking for a drop from a sparkle is not the way to go apparently.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I think my only problem with the Inn Requests are the shards for the weapons. I'm having a hard time upgrading some weapons that require specific shards. Kinda like Frosty Garm's Fang. The only shard that works for it is Hard.

Is it in David Vincent's contract that he must voice
Insane psychopaths?

I am half-expecting a BROOOOTHERRRRR any minute now.

Just beat Wallbridge...got lost a lot.

Well, finished up both the main arc and f arc, now I just have the extra dungeons and some NG+ stuff, then I suppose that's it :(. Definitely think I'm gonna miss all of these characters when I move on to the next thing.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
How? :O Unless you can only do it in F arc. I probably should go ahead and start that.
Use the shuttle, select Telos Astue from the menu and walk from there.

Oh, they're the ones behind the Ridge Racer fiasco? Well, that speaks for itself ._.

And that's a cool theme, so I can't blame you :p

I'm interested in costumes for this game, but I really wish they came in reasonably priced sets....wishful thinking -_-
That's why we call them Scamco. :3

I'm only going to buy a cameo/Tales History costume if it comes with a battle theme I want (to mix up the battle themes while grinding). Otherwise, I don't really care.

I mostly used music from my laptop while I grinded for shards and stuff or went through a few dungeons if I wanted to grind titles.

I think my only problem with the Inn Requests are the shards for the weapons. I'm having a hard time upgrading some weapons that require specific shards. Kinda like Frosty Garm's Fang. The only shard that works for it is Hard.
Yep. I began to really dislike the inn requests when it came to the point when I had to turn weapons in. Some of the fragments and natures I wanted didn't work out so I had to go around and grind for some.

Is it in David Vincent's contract that he must voice
Insane psychopaths?

I am half-expecting a BROOOOTHERRRRR any minute now.
Haha, it's funny you should say that...
if that's retained in the English version, of course.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Oh btw, I haven't completed the inn requests but will it be alright to complete the main arc and continue the inn requests at the future arc?

I'd like to unlock the secret dungeon too though.

This game is so good, it's going to ruin the Tales series for me. I probably won't be buying another Tales game unless it's from the Team Destiny side.

Top Bottom