• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

Speaking of soul orbs i keep seeing people say they farm enemies till they drop but i thought they were just a random drop chance off all enemies? I've gotten multiple of them off the same type of monster quite a bit through my playthrough.

No, I agree with you with regards to Xillia's narrative flow:
they really should have told the player that you should've done Jude's side first. I did Jude's side first, but I recall a lot of people saying in the OT that since they picked Milla's side first, they had no idea what was going on in the narrative until they picked Jude's side, which is quite unfortunate and somewhat odd storytelling. And then doing Milla's side for myself and seeing that there were plotholes, I just thought they should've had the player do it from the perspective of Jude first and then have Milla's side as an unlockable. If they wanted more than one protagonist, something like the Trinity Sight System from Genso Suikoden III would have been more favourable to the narrative. Instead, the storytelling is a bit of a mess if the player picks the wrong choice.

Either way, they could have picked a better way of telling the story from both perspectives, I guess.

And I'm mostly poking fun at Xillia. Even though I like it, I just don't like some of the things it did with the gameplay (in terms of streamlining or a lack of skills balancing in some parts) or environment design (save for towns). kayos likes Xillia more than I do but he's trying not to show it!

Yeah, the lack of balance when in link artes is probably my biggest complaint about the game. Since I main Leia and link with Jude for life, despite the fact that their final link art is godly, only having 5 was pretty disappointing, and it seems like for certain combinations it's even worse. I guess they expected everyone to just play as Jude and Mira cause of the dual protagonists aspect or something.

scy

Speaking of soul orbs i keep seeing people say they farm enemies till they drop but i thought they were just a random drop chance off all enemies? I've gotten multiple of them off the same type of monster quite a bit through my playthrough.

It is one Soul Orb per enemy. The Library > Bestiary shows the ones you've gotten a Soul Orb from (the star lights up).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well naturally I'm not going to tell you the story was anything amazing (for some reason I seem to like it more every time I play through the game, but the first time I played it back on the Wii I was pretty disappointed overall), but I still liked the ending.

Curious, what points did you feel were unresolved?

Ending:
Yeah I looked it up on Youtube and... no. For some reason in my mind I can't help but picture a moustached Disney villain talking. "Work together? REEEEEEALLY?" I loved his Japanese voice.

Also I was one of those people who picked Mira first and really wished there was some kind of 'Recommended for your first time' note on Jude's. But after playing both routes and doing all the subquests I don't really hold it against the game. It was annoying though.
With regards to the ending of Graces:
It's probably the overall saccharine nature of the ending, I think, that are making people dislike it. But oh wow, Lambda's English voice really botched the English ending for me. It wasn't what I was picturing in my head at all.

And you're right with regards to Graces: as I played through it again and again, I ended up liking it much more than I had previously.

As for Xillia,
both stories come together nicely, and I still like the narrative, but the disjointedness of Milla's might throw people off. It's somewhat strange storytelling.

lol, I'll re-emphasize: I like Xillia. I had fun with it--enough fun to do the grindy platinum for it despite some of the issues I had with it. I just don't like it as much as I do Graces. :)

Man, some of the invisible wall/cut off points early in the game are starting to bother me. I've been trying to farm enemies until I earn their Soul Orbs before moving on with the game. There was a moment where I didn't save for awhile and I walked out of a particular dungeon and now I can't go back into it. I'm sure you can explore old areas by the end/post game, but the little speech "I can't go here right now" bubbles are a bit excessive at times.

I understand that you are constantly on the run from the Dukes of Whatever Houses, but why design the fields and flow of the game like this if you are going to have to put up move-location barriers at practically every intersection? At least the battle system continues to be everything it was made out to be.

I just got Pascal too and she is super annoying. Not Feather-Folk SO4 bad, but still unarguably obnoxious. Oh, I do like how a lot of character specific Titles in this game are tied to other game elements like talking to NPCs, finding treasure chests, filling up the monster books. I noticed Pascal has treasure chest related titles and she kind of has that spelunker/treasure thief-kinda look to her. I know previous Tales games have done shit like this before, but it's still a neat idea in general.
Valid arguments, and I didn't like how the game did that either, even if the reasoning made sense.

I got Pascal a few nights ago, but didn't really go through some of her English dialogue until last night, I think. Um. Well, her VA work is better than a few of the English cast's so far, but I kinda prefer the JP version a little more; just because Kana Ueda pulled off her character so damned well: Japanese Pascal.

It's like how I prefer Japanese Asbel (though I like Sakurai's work in general).

Yeah, the lack of balance when in link artes is probably my biggest complaint about the game. Since I main Leia and link with Jude for life, despite the fact that their final link art is godly, only having 5 was pretty disappointing, and it seems like for certain combinations it's even worse. I guess they expected everyone to just play as Jude and Mira cause of the dual protagonists aspect or something.
Yep. That's the same thing that really threw me off about Xillia since I like using characters who aren't the protagonists like Leia. I thought Leia and Jude would have a lot of Link Artes together, but they didn't. Really lame. :|

But they know full well that people use other characters rather than going for the protagonist for Tales games.

It is one Soul Orb per enemy. The Library > Bestiary shows the ones you've gotten a Soul Orb from (the star lights up).

Yeah ive seen that, but i have literally gotten multiple soul orbs from the same exact monster while farming SP and unlocking chaos.

scy

Yeah ive seen that, but i have literally gotten multiple soul orbs from the same exact monster while farming SP and unlocking chaos.

You sure it's not from other enemies in that fight? I've got nearly 2000 battles and a Soul Orb count matching my Bestiary starred count.

You sure it's not from other enemies in that fight? I've got nearly 2000 battles and a Soul Orb count matching my Bestiary starred count.

Yeah, I fought 300 battles on the same respawning monster pack that only had 2 seperate soldier types in it and ended up with about 15-20 soul orbs off that pack alone. I figured it was just the way it worked.

Neki

Whoever was saying that ToS2's dungeon design was better than Grace's, that's because ToS2 recycled 90% of the dungeons from ToS. I do agree the music is still lacking, but Graces is still a fantastic game. And Pascal is awesome, that is all.

Varion

I just got Pascal too and she is super annoying. Not Feather-Folk SO4 bad, but still unarguably obnoxious.
No.

With regards to the ending of Graces:
It's probably the overall saccharine nature of the ending, I think, that are making people dislike it. But oh wow, Lambda's English voice really botched the English ending for me. It wasn't what I was picturing in my head at all.

And you're right with regards to Graces: as I played through it again and again, I ended up liking it much more than I had previously.

As for Xillia,
both stories come together nicely, and I still like the narrative, but the disjointedness of Milla's might throw people off. It's somewhat strange storytelling.

lol, I'll re-emphasize: I like Xillia. I had fun with it--enough fun to do the grindy platinum for it despite some of the issues I had with it. I just don't like it as much as I do Graces. :)
Graces:
I dunno, that kind of fits the rest of the plot, surely? I could completely understand someone disliking the plot for it, but disliking just the ending for it strikes me as a bit odd.

Xillia: Yeah, I'm still not entirely sure that the two protagonists thing was really worth it, but oh well. They kind of rubbed it in with the whole 'Yeah, a lot happened. Tell you what? Nah, you'll find out in the other route!' skits too. Especially as so much important stuff happened in that giant plot hole. It's definitely a game where you have to do everything to fully stick it all together and appreciate it (I was really surprised how much a few sidequests added to the story too), but it was worth it when I did. But I still wish I'd done Jude's first.

Graces:
I dunno, that kind of fits the rest of the plot, surely? I could completely understand someone disliking the plot for it, but disliking just the ending for it strikes me as a bit odd.

I dislike most of the story. The ending was just a capstone of awful.

I honestly can't place quite why I disliked the ending so much. I'll likely have more answers once I think about it for the next few days.

I think it has to do with how it just kind of ends. Once its done everyone goes their separate ways and everything is hunky-dory without another word. There's no resolution good or bad.

Yuterald

What, does she become cool later or something? Is Pascal an assassin or a spy from an enemy nation? I highly doubt it. First impressions of Pascal are "oh no, I'm that comic relief character that dances around and acts like an idiot, watch out for me!". She is probably going to pick on flower seed girl because she's the silent type, etc. I've played enough RPGs to see where this is going. I'd like to be proven wrong, but from everything I've seen so far in this game it's difficult to imagine her becoming a legitimately cool character.

Sorry, these kinds of characters still do it for some people, but not for me. It's not that I dislike lighthearted female characters either. Nanami from Suikoden II for example is more charming and she was a total goofball at times. Lilka from Wild ARMs 2 was the comic relief in a way and she wasn't annoying at all. I don't know, maybe it's the fact that there are voice overs? I think a lot of characters in RPGs nowadays are ruined by voices, but that's probably just me. =/

RPGCrazied

I have that sword so next time I play I'll check (unless someone tells you by then). I do know it's a weapon for Richard you buy in Graylside with a crystal.

I was all over this town, couldn't find it.

Also, some inn requests want weapons, but dualized a certain way? Can't figure that out either. Whats up with new requests poping up, but only things like gels or bottles. Do all inn's stop requesting stuff?

The DLC will be costumes. What else could there be?

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
So, I'm guessing we don't get the Idolm@ster costumes. They came out on the same day this DLC was released in Japan IIRC.

Varion

What, does she become cool later or something? Is Pascal an assassin or a spy from an enemy nation? I highly doubt it. First impressions of Pascal are "oh no, I'm that comic relief character that dances around and acts like an idiot, watch out for me!". She is probably going to pick on flower seed girl because she's the silent type, etc. I've played enough RPGs to see where this is going. I'd like to be proven wrong, but from everything I've seen so far in this game it's difficult to imagine her becoming a legitimately cool character.
Oh I'm not telling you that you have to like her, just arguing with the idea she's "unarguably obnoxious". She's not a pure comic relief character though.

Dammit, it's a bit too tempting to get the suit for Hubert at least, since his other costumes all suck...
Pretty much why I bought his and only his. Can't really say I'm surprised by the price because it's slightly less than the ones on the Japanese store. Not quite as sure as many people will be willing to pay those prices outside Japan though.

Just bought Tales of Vesperia (Xbox 360), Tales of the Abyss (3DS), and Tales of Graces f (PS3). So much JRPG goodness.

Say Goodbye to my non-existent social life. :D

Thats awesome!!! Are you new to Tales? I'm playing Abyss and Graces right now and they're both taking a lot of time which is amazing. Vesperia is considered the best but Graces is a lot more fun to me.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I'm gonna slap whoever is the idiot who designed the final boss of the f Arc.

Final f Boss Spoiler:
My melee fighters can't even hit the fucking bitch because of that fucking flower she's fucking floating on, what the fuck!? EVEN THE MYSTIC ARTS CAN MISS A FEW HITS, FOR FUCK SAKE!

Jucksalbe

Banned
Is there something more associated with these costumes? Like additional skills or anything like that? I actually had to laugh more at the "pay $2 for 5 levels" DLC.

Varion

Is there something more associated with these costumes? Like additional skills or anything like that? I actually had to laugh more at the "pay $2 for 5 levels" DLC.
Generally they come with a couple of stat ups and some extra HP. Most of them (though not the suits that're currently up) also come with terrible extra BGMs you can't turn off.

Top Bottom