• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
It was a mess from the perspective of
oh hey, there are two characters and they have different perspectives of the story, except one of them have a bunch of plotholes in her story so you should really do the boy's story first but lol, why would you want to do a guy's story first?!
That bit felt quite disjointed and I wish they'd handled that better.

Now that I'm making an effort to talk about it, I had a lot of criticisms for Xillia despite enjoying it. :/

We should probably stop talking about Xillia... rofl. We want to keep a good image in our mind. At least until the masses get to play it. Or until the director's cut comes out. ROFL! It sucks cuz Milla is such an awesome character in looks, gameplay, and character. She got the shafted story!

kewlmyc

I had forgotten how much of a
bitch Emaraude is. Damn. I can dodge the Killing Field fine but it's my stupid teammates and her cheap attacks that keep making me lose. DAMN YOU AI!!!!!

Have 3 casters and using a hourglass during her Eleth burst worked wonders for me on hard.

We should probably stop talking about Xillia... rofl. We want to keep a good image in our mind. At least until the masses get to play it. Or until the director's cut comes out. ROFL! It sucks cuz Milla is such an awesome character in looks, gameplay, and character. She got the shafted story!
People keep mentioning this. Why would there be a director's version? Usually Tales only get re-released on graphically better consoles. Is there a reason for a re-release already?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
1. An In-Depth Explanation of Dualizing

I was busy SP farming with Malik and Asbel today, had a good time. I can't tell if I have a handle on the combat system or not. Sometimes I feel godly in battle, other times I'm getting hit up like crazy by monsters. That's always been normal for me in Tales games, but I feel like the combat system in this game was designed to avoid that. Any tips on what I'm doing wrong?
I'd already posted this in the thread, but here's the link to my post explaining the basics of the basics. I also included a video that I used to learn how to dualize in the JP version too: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36041716&postcount=2139

Dodging and evasion are your best friends. Backstep and step around the enemy to hit its back or regain CC will prove to be your greatest assets in this game.

chickdigger802 said:
For a game that's suppose to be '10th anniversary'... it does feel extremely low budget o_O. Just look at the castle! So much tiles recycling. Easily one of the worst game castles around T_T. Pretty much every single 'dungeon' is like that, which makes it really hard to navigate >.>"
Probably a low-budget Wii game at first. :lol

But Abyss was the 10th Anniversary game. Xillia was the 15th anniversary game.

3Kaze

For a game that's suppose to be '10th anniversary'... it does feel extremely low budget o_O. Just look at the castle! So much tiles recycling. Easily one of the worst game castles around T_T. Pretty much every single 'dungeon' is like that, which makes it really hard to navigate >.>"

And did everyone just bumble their way through the wallbridge 'ruins'? So random...

Pascal is pretty cool though! The only character that doesn't move like a mannequin.

btw: what's the lore behind 'artes' in this game? i don't recall them ever mentioning anything about why people can shoot flashy stuff at each other o_O.
Xillia is the '15th anniversary' title, not Graces F. It's as low budget though!
But yeah, Team Destiny is pretty bad with dungeons. Destiny 2 and Rebirth had decent ones but it somehow got worse since Destiny R.

kewlmyc

I'd already posted this in the thread, but here's the link to my post explaining the basics of the basics. I also included a video that I used to learn how to dualize in the JP version too: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36041716&postcount=2139

Dodging and evasion are your best friends. Backstep and step around the enemy to hit its back or regain CC will prove to be your greatest assets in this game.

Probably a low-budget Wii game at first. :lol

But Abyss was the 10th Anniversary game. Xillia was the 15th anniversary game.

I thought that Vesperia was their big 10th anniversary release though?

kayos90

Have 3 casters and using a hourglass during her Eleth burst worked wonders for me on hard.

People keep mentioning this. Why would there be a director's version? Usually Tales only get re-released on graphically better consoles. Is there a reason for a re-release already?

I don't die from killing field. It's when she gets to the 1/4 life point that she does crazy damage. *sigh* I'll just level once.

There was an interview mentioning quite a bit of cut content. This hints to an eventual director's cut.

scy

Okay guys, just started this up yesterday, loving it so far. The combat system is awesome, but I need help with 3 key things:

1. An In-Depth Explanation of Dualizing

Just what I posted earlier:

Dualizing a Shard onto a Weapon/Armor will give a stat bonus (based on the Quality, my previous post mentions where to check those*) and it will give a bonus effect based on the Shard type (e.g., Attack, Mind, Rise, Exceed, etc.). After a few fights, the weapon/armor will become tempered and you'll get a +Damage%/-Damage Taken% bonus and the name will change to yellow.

Now, if you dualize two Tempered pieces of equipment together, you'll combine the two strongest effects* and create a Gem. So, if you dualized an Attack Shard on one weapon and Mind Shard on another, dualizing those two together will give you an ATK-MIND Gem. When you do this, the stat bonuses on the weapon/armor are kept, though the bonus effect is lost. For instance, an Attack [1] Barbed shard gives +2 P.ATK, +8 C.ATK, and +3 ACC with +10 P.ATK effect on it; if you dualize that weapon with something, you'll lose the +10 P.ATK effect but you keep the +2 P.ATK, +8 C.ATK, and +3 ACC bonuses on the weapon.

Sorry if that's confusing. It's a pretty simple thing once you start doing a lot of it. Dualize shard onto equipment -> Get permanent stat bonuses plus an effect -> Fight battles until equipment becomes tempered -> Dualize two tempered equipment and lose their bonus effects but gain a Gem with those two effects combined -> Repeat.

*Library -> User's Guide -> Quality will list all the Shard Qualities you've seen so far.

**Should just be the first listed but I haven't played with this a lot to see if there's something more specific to it than that. This only really matters for equipment that has a natural bonus or when combining two Gems.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
We should probably stop talking about Xillia... rofl. We want to keep a good image in our mind. At least until the masses get to play it. Or until the director's cut comes out. ROFL! It sucks cuz Milla is such an awesome character in looks, gameplay, and character.
Oh yes. Xillia is great, everyone. GOTY 2011.
Well, it's on the list somewhere.

kewlmyc said:
I thought that Vesperia was their big 10th anniversary release though?
Phantasia was released in 1995, and Abyss came out in 2005 in Japan.

Edit: I was wondering why you said that, so I googled a bit... lol, they called Vesperia the 10th anniversary game here? I guess that'd make sense they released Destiny here in 1998. But Abyss is really the 10th Anniversary title.

pahamrick

I'm working my way through the future arc before hitting up NG+ to start my run to get the platinum, but I've noticed I'm missing a weapon for Asbel.
I've gotten the future arc weapons, at least the ones you get from the first major dungeons, for everyone but him.

Anyone know what area it's in, so I can head back and start searching? I'm scratching my head as I'm pretty sure I hit every chest I saw. Knowing my luck it's something simple I missed.

-Edit-

Found it, can't believe I missed it my first time through.

Datschge

The AI seems pretty terribad when it really matters. I was fighting that
giant slime boss
on moderate and one of my characters constantly stands there, doing nothing. They are set to offensive, all skills enabled, automatic, everything is as it should be, but no, they just stand there. I've been kiting the boss at about 10% life before, with 2 characters who only had passive (dont attack enemies) and their healing skills enabled, and they still just stood there. I love this combat system, and I wish I could win a fight through skill or effort instead of lucking out when the AI decides to take part.

Do you switch the characters during battles? Since that's very fast to do with the dpad it's kind of possible to micromanage the AI in real time if you get the hang of it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Just wondering, what carries over the new game +?

Just what I posted earlier:

Dualizing a Shard onto a Weapon/Armor will give a stat bonus (based on the Quality, my previous post mentions where to check those*) and it will give a bonus effect based on the Shard type (e.g., Attack, Mind, Rise, Exceed, etc.). After a few fights, the weapon/armor will become tempered and you'll get a +Damage%/-Damage Taken% bonus and the name will change to yellow.

Now, if you dualize two Tempered pieces of equipment together, you'll combine the two strongest effects* and create a Gem. So, if you dualized an Attack Shard on one weapon and Mind Shard on another, dualizing those two together will give you an ATK-MIND Gem. When you do this, the stat bonuses on the weapon/armor are kept, though the bonus effect is lost. For instance, an Attack [1] Barbed shard gives +2 P.ATK, +8 C.ATK, and +3 ACC with +10 P.ATK effect on it; if you dualize that weapon with something, you'll lose the +10 P.ATK effect but you keep the +2 P.ATK, +8 C.ATK, and +3 ACC bonuses on the weapon.

Didnt you say on a prev page that if youre going for a final product with some stat X boosted then its only necessary for the last dualize to use a shard of type X? And along the way you just use whatever random shard to get the + level of the item up? I dont get that, if you keep the stat improvements from the dualizization of shard+equip when you extract the gem, why wouldnt you want every single dualize to use an X shard to get it progressively higher each time?

Related question: how useful is defense in this game? Is it worth dualizing for P.Def, C.Def, and EVA? Or should i go all out on P.Atk and C.Atk? And how about ACC?

scy

Didnt you say on a prev page that if youre going for a final product with some stat X boosted then its only necessary for the last dualize to use a shard of type X? And along the way you just use whatever random shard to get the + level of the item up? I dont get that, if you keep the stat improvements from the dualizization of shard+equip when you extract the gem, why wouldnt you want every single dualize to use an X shard to get it progressively higher each time?

I didn't say that, I said that you'll only want to use the shard bonus you're aiming for (e.g., Rise's +Minimum CC, Exceed's +Maximum CC, Reinforce's +CC Recovery, etc.) last. You'll want to use the right QUALITY each time but the shard won't matter until the end. If you're aiming for a +10 weapon with Minimum CC +3, there's no reason to use Rise on +1 to +9. Two shards of the same quality but different type will yield the same stat bonus but only differ in their extra effect. There's no reason to waste rare, powerful shards when any shard of the right quality type will do.

Aeana

Why shouldn't you be honest about the game?

I didn't say that, I said that you'll only want to use the shard bonus you're aiming for (e.g., Rise's +Minimum CC, Exceed's +Maximum CC, Reinforce's +CC Recovery, etc.) last. You'll want to use the right QUALITY each time but the shard won't matter until the end. If you're aiming for a +10 weapon with Minimum CC +3, there's no reason to use Rise on +1 to +9. Two shards of the same quality but different type will yield the same stat bonus but only differ in their extra effect. There's no reason to waste rare, powerful shards when any shard of the right quality type will do.

So basically, if I understand it correctly, at the time you take a piece of tempered equipment and dualize it with another piece of tempered equipment, the equipment has:

1) Effects that are a result of the Quality
2) Effects that are a result of the Shard
3) A bonus that is the result of the tempering

After you dualize the 2 pieces together, the only effects that remain are those that were attributable to #1. Is that right? So like if I put a P.Atk+10 shard on an item, and temper it, and dualize it to extract an ATK-xxx gem, then the P.Atk+10 goes away?

Also, just to confirm, the strength of effects and quality of the gem (A, B, C, etc) depends on both #1 and #2, right?

Also, I've heard anecdotal reports that the drop rate of shards decreases the more shards you have in your inventory. Is there any truth to this? It sounds like a somewhat suspicious mechanic, so I'm not sure I buy it.

kayos90

I'm normally honest and super outspoken about my opinion but I really want to keep Xillia as pure as I can in my mind. I don't know why... It might have to do with the s***** boss battles. Especially my 2 hour final boss fight...... T_T

Wasn't Xillia Japanese only? Did people make some sort of English patch for the game or something? Am I missing something? Or is everyone here billingual?

kayos90

Wasn't Xillia Japanese only? Did people make some sort of English patch for the game or something? Am I missing something? Or is everyone here billingual?

Some of us imported and can understand some japanese if not all. I have some knowledge of it. Plus my friend translated everything I did in the game. Rofl.

scy

So basically, if I understand it correctly, at the time you take a piece of tempered equipment and dualize it with another piece of tempered equipment, the equipment has:

1) Effects that are a result of the Quality
2) Effects that are a result of the Shard
3) A bonus that is the result of the tempering

After you dualize the 2 pieces together, the only effects that remain are those that were attributable to #1. Is that right? So like if I put a P.Atk+10 shard on an item, and temper it, and dualize it to extract an ATK-xxx gem, then the P.Atk+10 goes away?

Also, just to confirm, the strength of effects and quality of the gem (A, B, C, etc) depends on both #1 and #2, right?

Basically. You have those three bonuses: Stats, Effect, and Tempering. Stats are permanent, Effect is there until you extract it, and the Tempering bonus is there after X amount of fights and is lost when you extract the Effect. Quality determines the stats and Tempering bonus and the type and [Value] of the shard determines the Effect.

As far as Gems are concerned, I don't actually think Quality does anything but I haven't really given much thought to the resulting Quality on the Gems.

Also, I've heard anecdotal reports that the drop rate of shards decreases the more shards you have in your inventory. Is there any truth to this? It sounds like a somewhat suspicious mechanic, so I'm not sure I buy it.

Never really paid much attention to it. I have so many shards that it would take forever to remove them all though :(

Wait I know graces was known as tales of 10... 10th mainline game?

I'm enjoying the game fine, but I do feel a bit bummed that I paid $60 for this. This feels like a $40 3ds game or something.

It's baffling that besides the initial battle load, abyss 3ds has better loading times than this.

But from what I hear, the 'directors cut' version of tales games have more features, but perform worse than the original.

Besides the gamebreaking bugs, was the wii version of this any good vs this?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Do you think you'll go back to Xillia when there's a downtime in game releases?

When I started my second plat run, I saw more flaws in the game than when I had initially started playing it. I still like it, but the game has lost a bit of its initial lustre since my first playthrough.

This is correct. More shards you have, drop rate decreases. The game wants you to keep dualizing new equipment, and it's a nice way to somewhat keep your equipment or stats updated in the event you don't have enough money to fully upgrade your equipment.

I'm normally honest and super outspoken about my opinion but I really want to keep Xillia as pure as I can in my mind. I don't know why... It might have to do with the s***** boss battles. Especially my 2 hour final boss fight...... T_T
The final boss didn't take me that long. But I'll say this:
the boss fight was much longer than the "final dungeon" LOL.

Some of us imported it, or some of us live in Japan/Asia. Here's the game's official thread.

Anyone has found a good missable sidequests/titles/items guide yet?
The google doc we linked in the OP is pretty decent, and I referenced it while I was going through the game. The only true missable is the handkerchief quest. GameFAQs probably has a few guides up by now.

Bladenic

Gonna ask again, sorry. How do you activate Malik Beam and why do I not have Hubert's second Mystic Arte yet? I just finished the first chapter 7 dungeon (research facility).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Gonna ask again, sorry. How do you activate Malik Beam and why do I not have Hubert's second Mystic Arte yet? I just finished the first chapter 7 dungeon (research facility).
Manlik's
butt beam
: Use Sonic Buster (might've called this something different) 30 times and obtain the Title for it. Then use Sonic Buster while in Eleth Rise and use L1.

Hubert's second Blast Caliber (Vent Flèche -- is this name changed in the English version, I wonder?): Get it from his 8th title "Dual Pistolwielder of the Light", which is obtained in a story event.

...I should've asked this earlier, but were they still localized as 'Mystic Artes' here? It's consistent, I guess. It's kind of funny that the JP versions have multiple names for hi-ougis throughout the series, though.

Koroviev

I'm enjoying the game fine, but I do feel a bit bummed that I paid $60 for this. This feels like a $40 3ds game or something.

It's baffling that besides the initial battle load, abyss 3ds has better loading times than this.

But from what I hear, the 'directors cut' version of tales games have more features, but perform worse than the original.

I don't think I'd compare 3DS Abyss to Graces. Graces isn't going to win any awards for being a graphical powerhouse, but I think it looks significantly better than Abyss.

Bladenic

Manlik's
butt beam
: Use Sonic Buster (might've called this something different) 30 times and obtain the Title for it. Then use Sonic Buster while in Eleth Rise and use L1.

Hubert's second Blast Caliber (Vent Flèche -- is this name changed in the English version, I wonder?): Get it from his 8th title "Dual Pistolwielder of the Light", which is obtained in a story event.

...I should've asked this earlier, but were they still localized as 'Mystic Artes' here? It's consistent, I guess. It's kind of funny that the JP versions have multiple names for hi-ougis throughout the series, though.

I figured Hubert's was a story event title but everyone else except Sophie has theirs already so it's strange that poor Hubert gets his so much later. And that's what I heard about Malik Beam, just wanted to confirm. Thanks!

kayos90

Manlik's
butt beam

BC sounds so much better but I can see why they put MA. Oh well.

Last one ... since i didn't get an express delivery for graces i remembered i still had a bunch of things and played xillia instead The road to 99 is a total bore-fest ( i just stopped [screw my hours of sleep !!! i'll manage ...i think])

Thank god i've already played the wii version of graces i can wait quietly without feelign anxious and checking my mail box every 2 min....
As for the good image i actually love the game and i'm well aware of the rushed /inconsitant parts
You have to play it to think that way Some things just scream - "oh we cut this because we didn't have enough time" The way the story moves in part 3 & 4 is really weird to the point i questionned several character motives because their actions suddenly weren't making sense to me... And the fact that there is almost nothing to do between lv 80 to 99

i don't understand.. the only fight that could drag that long is the secret hidden boss and i took 19mins ( i still have the screen ) and the final boss was way easier

I really don't understand....

Sorry ... learning the jap language as a hobby ( i know enough to understand and play rpgs ) .. Anyway Given the state of the vesperia translation project , maybe ... well no don't expect anything right now ...

Sorry for the side topic ..it's the last time i promise...

kayos90

Last one ... since i didn't get an express delivery for graces i remembered i still had a bunch of things and played xillia instead The road to 99 is a total bore-fest ( i just stopped [screw my hours of sleep !!! i'll manage ...i think])

Thank god i've already played the wii version of graces i can wait quietly without feelign anxious and checking my mail box every 2 min....
As for the good image i actually love the game and i'm well aware of the rushed /inconsitant parts

You have to play it to think that way Some things just scream - "oh we cut this because we didn't have enough time" The way the story moves in part 3 & 4 is really weird to the point i questionned several character motives because their actions suddenly weren't making sense to me... And the fact that there is almost nothing to do between lv 80 to 99

i don't understand.. the only fight that could drag that long is the secret hidden boss and i took 19mins ( i still have the screen ) and the final boss was way easier

I really don't understand....

Sorry ... learning the jap language as a hobby ( i know enough to understand and play rpgs ) .. Anyway Given the state of the vesperia translation project , maybe ... well no don't expect anything right now ...

Sorry for the side topic ..it's the last time i promise...

The last boss is a pain for anyone who's played the game. Schala knows it's a bitch.

I don't think I'd compare 3DS Abyss to Graces. Graces isn't going to win any awards for being a graphical powerhouse, but I think it looks significantly better than Abyss.

Besides better resolution and some battle effects... At the very least abyss castle looks better xD.

Anyone else find the difference between VA recording gear for the game and the anime cutscenes to be pretty jarring?

And anyone else hate how Asbel does not ask any questions about any of the weird nonsense thats going on?

Oh shit hats! GOTY!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
BC sounds so much better but I can see why they put MA. Oh well.
Consistency!

I'll probably call it Blast Caliber out of habit. Too used to typing and saying it. And I'm lazy. And it's usually called different names in Japanese versions of Tales games anyway.

My copy is on it's way.

Reading through this thread it seems like the systems used in this are quite deep/involved?
Yup, the battle system, especially; particularly when you select higher difficulty modes.

...And the fact that there is almost nothing to do between lv 80 to 99.
And that's why they sold those Level Up packs on JPSN--so you can get the Level 99 trophies for each character easily so you don't have to grind! Namco are geniuses!

The last boss is a pain for anyone who's played the game. Schala knows it's a bitch.
On Unknown especially, but the final boss didn't take me as long as your quoted time. But most of the bosses in Xillia are cheap or poorly-designed. I won't get further into this, but you know what I mean!

R_thanatos has played the game, though.

Speaking of Xillia, I just booted it up right now, and my muscle memory's currently stuck on how to play Graces as opposed to Xillia. :lol

Wait what? You're comparing Graces F to a 3ds game? Not really sure how to respond @.@ In what way do you feel this is even remotely comparable to something you'd expect to see on 3ds?

What kind of loading times are you seeing? Worst I've seen is like 1 second when zoning between areas.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Jude is so easy to use. Just mash normals and it's a faceroll. Rofl.
I forgot how Rowen's spells worked (like, you can tap X to make him fire more fireballs, or rotate L for a spell to rotate, so I forgot about that...). I'm at the Canyon on my playthrough for my NA account, so I just got him and I want to get those two trophies associated with him. I still laugh because he'll still activate the magic barrier even if the spell misses or isn't directed towards the character he's linked to. Oh Rowen, you so crazy.

But Jude's a powerhouse already. Run out of TP? LOL, Jude don't care. Kick and punch and he gets like 50 TP back.

And I've decided to refrain from grinding for the "use Tipo Drain 150 times" trophy this time around since Elise does it normally when I knock the enemy into the air with other characters so it really doesn't matter since she'll get it normally.

I dislike the dungeon design here, btw (but I can say the same about a lot of the environments in this game). Plus the colour palette is a little... ehhhh...

There are a few of us in this thread who have bought this game twice or thrice, lol.

I don't really regret it since I had all sorts of fun with it and that's what counts to me.

Wait what? You're comparing Graces F to a 3ds game? Not really sure how to respond @.@ In what way do you feel this is even remotely comparable to something you'd expect to see on 3ds?

What kind of loading times are you seeing? Worst I've seen is like 1 second when zoning between areas.

When I say 3ds... it's mainly the production value. It's what I'd expect out of a 3ds or psp title, not out of a $60 game. I know they are all separate teams and that this is technically an HD rerelease, but besides the battle system everything else feels like a regression from Vesperia AND Symphonia 2.

And about loading, it's more the frequency really + how every room looks the same!

2 recent examples are Barona Castle and the Wallbridge for me.

And the littlest nitpick. Why do all npcs have like a half second animation before they talk to you?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I am actually lost on Wallbridge and feel like an idiot. I guess a good night sleep will help for now. :p

I've been playing on normal difficulty all this time so I upped it to Moderate and jesus what a difference. I tried Hard at first but got absolutely ransacked. Entire party was dead in like 5 seconds just on a normal trash mob in the field.

I'm not sure if it's me sucking, or the fact that I haven't been playing on harder difficulty levels since the beginning, so I've earned way less SP / EXP compared to someone who is at my point in the story but started on Hard.

Top Bottom