• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

scy

Off-topic, but: Suikoden III's method of storytelling probably would've worked better had there being dual protagonists as opposed to a trio
or quartet after finishing the game
to reduce the repetitive play. Though...
I don't think too highly of Suikoden III outside of the narrative and ability growth systems. Love the narrative, but I have issues with the game part of it, which is a same given that it's my favourite series ever.

I really did love everything about Suikoden III besides the game. I think part of that is a disappointment towards Nash after the gaidens and
a soft spot I had for Luc
. I'm a little sad that the narrative structure from SIII hasn't really been replicated; it really did work rather well.

Ties

Banned
This game is so good, it's going to ruin the Tales series for me. I probably won't be buying another Tales game unless it's from the Team Destiny side.
Well apparentally the two teams don't even really exist anymore (I read this somewhere) so we'll probably be seeing more Hearts and Xillia type titles.

Just started the whole Zhonecage side quest...

khHs4.gif

What the fuck is going on?!?!?

Sagitario

Well apparentally the two teams don't even really exist anymore (I read this somewhere) so we'll probably be seeing more Hearts and Xillia type titles.

Heck! Tales Studio doesn't really exists anymore... they were absorbed into Namco or something.

Anyway, got my copy today! FUCK YEAH! ENTHUSIASM! (plus, a second copy of ToV among other goodies)
I won't be able to play it until Friday, though :(

Me second copy should arrive next month, along with Xenoblade :D

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Is there more than Zhonecage?
Did you do the Ruins in the unexplored desert and the cameo battle, and the
Rockgagong fight
yet? Zone Cage is the EX dungeon here.

Oh btw, I haven't completed the inn requests but will it be alright to complete the main arc and continue the inn requests at the future arc?

I'd like to unlock the secret dungeon too though.
You can't do the Inn Requests in Future Arc, but what you can do is do the future arc, get Accel Mode + new Blast Calibers and then load your post-future arc save to get back to the main game at the last save point and you'll have stuff from Future Arc.

Make sure you save before you complete the last request, since the boss will be thrown at you right after completion.

I really did love everything about Suikoden III besides the game. I think part of that is a disappointment towards Nash after the gaidens and
a soft spot I had for Luc
. I'm a little sad that the narrative structure from SIII hasn't really been replicated; it really did work rather well.
I do wish we'd gotten the Suikogaiden games over here prior to Genso Suikoden III. It would've helped to replicate the 'oh wow, awesome; another returning character' feelings that GS2 had. And as for that other character
Suikoden III did a good job using the veteran player's sympathy for Luc after two games with him as your ally, even after what he did. I personally included him in the party in GS1 and GS2, so I don't think he's so awful.
I'm not sure if they could have used a form of TSS for GS4, Rhapsodia or GS5, though, since there was one sole protagonist in each game.

I should really play more of the new PSP game tonight, lol. I haven't had too much time to get through it lately, but I'm liking the story.

scy

I do wish we'd gotten the Suikogaiden games over here prior to Genso Suikoden III. It would've helped to replicate the 'oh wow, awesome; another returning character' feelings that GS2 had. And as for that other character
Suikoden III did a good job using the veteran player's sympathy for Luc after two games with him as your ally, even after what he did. I personally included him in the party in GS1 and GS2, so I don't think he's so awful.
I'm not sure if they could have used a form of TSS for GS4, Rhapsodia or GS5, though, since there was one sole protagonist in each game.

I should really play more of the new PSP game tonight, lol. I haven't had too much time to get through it lately, but I'm liking the story.

I'm really interested in your thoughts on the PSP title as you get more time with it :x

And, I always used
Luc in SI/SII so him in 3 had me a bit conflicted. I liked that feeling, really. Was a nice touch and I think encompasses a lot of what I liked about the series
. As for TSS, I just meant in general, not so much for the rest of the Suikoden games; just feel like that mechanic could've seen more use in other games by now.

Alex

Sold two copies of the game on friends today, go me. Really is a nice game, probably my favorite of the series thus far.

This game is so good, it's going to ruin the Tales series for me. I probably won't be buying another Tales game unless it's from the Team Destiny side.

You'll be glad to know that, while it doesn't quite equal Graces', Xillia's gameplay is fun as hell as well. TP is back unfortunately, but you get to a point pretty early on where you just kind of forget it exists and are constantly laying into enemies and tearing up a storm with link arts. It's pretty awesome.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Did you do the Ruins in the unexplored desert and the cameo battle, and the
Rockgagong fight
yet? Zone Cage is the EX dungeon here.

You can't do the Inn Requests in Future Arc, but what you can do is do the future arc, get Accel Mode + new Blast Calibers and then load your post-future arc save to get back to the main game at the last save point and you'll have stuff from Future Arc.

Make sure you save before you complete the last request, since the boss will be thrown at you right after completion.

What's accel mode? I keep hearing about it, but have no clue what it is.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Sold two copies of the game on friends today, go me. Really is a nice game, probably my favorite of the series thus far.

The game is completely out of stock at my local game store and its other branches, which is really surprising.

I'm pretty curious to see sales of this game. Not expecting anything SIGNIFICANT but I think it'll do better than I originally thought it would.

So how exactly do I get the title that gives me the recovery skill? It's been 60 hours and I just realized that Asbel is the only one who has it....

Should you just go crazy with dualizing in this game? Or do you really have to be careful not to waste ingredients? Can you easily screw yourself over?

It's something you unlock in the f side, which lets you activate special character specific abilities i.e Pascal's involves setting a barrier up, and anyone within it won't flinch at all when hit and will take tiny amounts of damage. When you activate it, you restore a large amount of your CC, and you also get access to a special hi-ougi which can only be used in accel mode, and gets more powerful the more you use it. It somehow makes the game even more fun than it already is.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You'll be glad to know that, while it doesn't quite equal Graces', Xillia's gameplay is fun as hell as well. TP is back unfortunately, but you get to a point pretty early on where you just kind of forget it exists and are constantly laying into enemies and tearing up a storm with link arts. It's pretty awesome.
Jude and Leia's link artes are pretty awesome. It's too bad they don't have more. :(

Plus Jude recovers TP with, like, two punches, lol.

I'm really interested in your thoughts on the PSP title as you get more time with it :x

And, I always used
Luc in SI/SII so him in 3 had me a bit conflicted. I liked that feeling, really. Was a nice touch and I think encompasses a lot of what I liked about the series
. As for TSS, I just meant in general, not so much for the rest of the Suikoden games; just feel like that mechanic could've seen more use in other games by now.
I'll try to play some tonight, then. The music's pretty good too so far, btw.

As for Suikoden III,
I really liked that they made him a villain in the end since I felt the same way too. It was someone you kinda expected, but you never really expected in the end since you thought he was a jerk with a heart of gold?

It's kinda like overlimit, actually, if I were to make a comparison. It's different for everyone (since everyone has different blast calibers associated with it), and you get it in the Future Arc. You have a new meter by the character portrait on the battle UI, and it fills up as you combo more. Once it's filled, you restore CC, and a certain effect will happen (it's different for every character, so... for Asbel, for example, a purple orb surrounds him and does damage to enemies around him.... or for Cheria, it has the same effect as an Hourglass). You can use your Level 4 Blast Caliber in Accel Mode, too.

Beaten by Disgaeamad. :lol

DR2K

Banned
So is this like Vesperia where you can miss a million sidequests forever? I'm so paranoid about progressing in this game.

Big B

So is this like Vesperia where you can miss a million sidequests forever? I'm so paranoid about progressing in this game.

There are a couple of skits in childhood arc and only 1 legit missable quest in adult arc. Or so I'm told.

Did somebody say the final Inn Request item is from the final boss in Zone Cage? So 2nd play through is a must it seems.

scy

I think I can deal with TP systems if it's like that. Hm...

I'll try to play some tonight, then. The music's pretty good too so far, btw.

Excellent! To the music, not to me getting you to play~!

As for Suikoden III,
I really liked that they made him a villain in the end since I felt the same way too. It was someone you kinda expected, but you never really expected in the end since you thought he was a jerk with a heart of gold?

Yeah, I went in wondering
what jerkass thing he was going to do or maybe he'd have "grown up" by now. Completely unexpected on his actual role yet it's not totally out of place either

Any good guide to follow for this game online?

There's this guide you can follow. The only thing I think it misses are Carta card locations but basically every area with a shiny spot will have one as far as I know and the ones in chests aren't really all that hidden.

Should you just go crazy with dualizing in this game? Or do you really have to be careful not to waste ingredients? Can you easily screw yourself over?

I wouldn't worry too much about wasting early materials for it. Just dualize a bit to get a grip on the system itself as it's really not as complex as it seems. The big thing to keep in mind are the qualities of the shards themselves (e.g., Wicked, Barbed, Buff, etc.) as those determine the stat boosts. Just try to dualize qualities that give you stat growths you want. That and I wouldn't use, say, +Min/Max CC (Rise/Exceed) or +HP on Hit (Absorb) or whatever if you're planning to dualize over and over; those bonuses are lost if you dualize again (but the +Stats stay) so it's something to put on equipment when you feel like you're "done" with dualizing. But that's a bit min/max, I suppose.

Really, I'd just do it some to get a hang of the process.

Jude and Leia's link artes are pretty awesome. It's too bad they don't have more. :(

Yeah, they deal some great damage and look cool enough, especially this one, which is just godly against a crowd of enemies (at the cost of killing the framerate, haha) and on bosses. Considering their relationship as well you'd expect them to have a bunch of them, but oh well. :<

Jude's TP recovery rate really is silly haha, but not having to fret over whether you should use arts or not cause you want to keep a supply of TP is great at least.

Bought all the costume DLC, I know "part of the problem" but with Tales I'll make an exception. I'm hoping between software sales and DLC Namco will see there is a market for these games and continue to localize them.

Aeana

Since I finished ME3, I think I'll dive into this tomorrow. I'm looking forward to replaying it and also getting to see the Future part for the first time.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
So, I bought this in my post ME3 depression. Please tell me there is an end to this game! Haven't played a Tales game since Vesperia, but I'm looking forward to some good, old fashioned JRPG goodness.

Hey guys, I'm in Lhant, guess how far in the game I am.

seriously, I'm loving the game, but man it feels like you keep hitting the same places over and over

Man, the battle end talks are so much better when I understand them.

Malik: Right into next week!
Sophie: I travel back into time from next week, please stop throwing monsters into us.
Malik: *stares*
Sophie: *points away*

Also, I gotta say I do like the DLC attachments. Now that I can get DLC, this will make this playthrough more enjoyable if they keep coming at a steady rate and not when I am finish with the game.

Is there something that controls how frequently the Eleth Mixer produces an item? I've had about 4 crystals in there for a total of probably 8 gameplay hours and not a single thing has been produced. I even put some Potatoes in there as a test (58.2% production rate) and it's only proc'ed once in the past 20 minutes. It didn't used to be this way at all. Anyone got any ideas?

I mean on average these crystals have about a 3% production rate, so if the eleth mixer ticks once per 5 minutes (which I believe it's way more frequent than that) then after 2 hours I should have had about a 50% chance to have obtained 1 proc. But there's 4 different crystals in there, so it should have been substantially higher. It's been minimum 8-10 hours since I've seen anything at all

Is there something that controls how frequently the Eleth Mixer produces an item? I've had about 4 crystals in there for a total of probably 8 gameplay hours and not a single thing has been produced. I even put some Potatoes in there as a test (58.2% production rate) and it's only proc'ed once in the past 20 minutes. It didn't used to be this way at all. Anyone got any ideas?

I mean on average these crystals have about a 3% production rate, so if the eleth mixer ticks once per 5 minutes (which I believe it's way more frequent than that) then after 2 hours I should have had about a 50% chance to have obtained 1 proc. But there's 4 different crystals in there, so it should have been substantially higher. It's been minimum 8-10 hours since I've seen anything at all

There is a spell book that doubles eleth mixer item creation rate, forget what area and how far in though.

As for the vesperia costumes, you get one per difficulty of carta cards for a total of 3. think you need like 20 cards total for the second difficulty and 25 for hardest or something like that.

Rarutos

I'm finally in the future arc, and boy have I missed
Richard's surprising silliness
. I love this game so much. It might be my favorite Tales game now. <3

MarkusRJR

Okay... so just to recap an early post, I bought Tales of Vesperia, Tales of the Abyss, and Tales of Graces.

I know they're not connected at all, but which would be the best order to play them in? I was wondering which would be the most accessible for a first timer (easier difficulty, controls, leveling system, etc). I don't wanna get raped with a bunch of information. That's what made me stop playing FFXIII.

Okay... so just to recap an early post, I bought Tales of Vesperia, Tales of the Abyss, and Tales of Graces.

I know they're not connected at all, but which would be the best order to play them in? I was wondering which would be the most accessible for a first timer (easier difficulty, controls, leveling system, etc). I don't wanna get raped with a bunch of information. That's what made me stop playing FFXIII.

Probably Vesperia. I think I like Graces a little better so far, but it has a ton more systems to grasp.

Graces probably has the least amount of technobabble or whatever if that's what you mean with ffxiii, vesperia has the most straight forward gameplay though.

Seda

Vesperia.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
As I said before, I didn't care for Graces' music very much. I definitely didn't think it was one of the Best Soundtracks of 2009 by a long shot. It was mediocre then, and it's mediocre now.

That three-note dungeon theme is the worst.

I think I can deal with TP systems if it's like that. Hm...

Excellent! To the music, not to me getting you to play~!

Yeah, I went in wondering
what jerkass thing he was going to do or maybe he'd have "grown up" by now. Completely unexpected on his actual role yet it's not totally out of place either
Thing about the TP in Xillia is that it becomes less of a worry as you go on through the game, and since the AC counter is in effect, you aren't always prone to wasting TP. It's an interesting way of managing it, I guess.

I dug out my Game Gear just now and started playing Sonic Blast. I didn't like it, so I'm gonna play Suikoden a bit to wash out the aftertaste.

If only they gave us a Suikoden VI to finish up or let the thing they set up in Harmonia progress! :(

Yeah, they deal some great damage and look cool enough, especially this one, which is just godly against a crowd of enemies (at the cost of killing the framerate, haha) and on bosses. Considering their relationship as well you'd expect them to have a bunch of them, but oh well. :<

Jude's TP recovery rate really is silly haha, but not having to fret over whether you should use arts or not cause you want to keep a supply of TP is great at least.
I know, right? I was wondering why I didn't get more artes for Leia and Jude towards the end until I noticed that a lot of the others had the same issue. Oh well. Leia's great.

I was just playing it tonight (trying to get the plat on my NA account this time around; I'm at the canyon), and Jude's just destroying everything and gaining TP back in a speedy fashion, lol.

There is a spell book that doubles eleth mixer item creation rate, forget what area and how far in though.

As for the vesperia costumes, you get one per difficulty of carta cards for a total of 3. think you need like 20 cards total for the second difficulty and 25 for hardest or something like that.
That's right. The grimoire is in the Basith Base (though I think it's called something else now). It was called the "Good Luck Grimoire" in the JP version.

Also right about the Vesperia costumes.

Wait there are costumes on PSN? The Code Geass Costumes? The pre-order costumes?
None of those ones. I think they're just the suit costumes for Asbel, Malik, and Hubert. Kinda weird since they released those with the school costumes and the Idolm@ster set in Japan.

Abyss is more accessible, and it's the one I found the least fun out of the three. Start with that one, work your way up to Vesperia (which evolves on Abyss's system a little; Abyss's system was the FR-LMBS which introduced free run and allowed the player to have more mobility during combat in a 3D space (adds stuff like AD skills and whatnot), and Vesperia's system is the EFR-LMBS which enhanced Abyss's free mobility and let you do aerial combos (along with other additions, and a different way of getting AD skills)), and then work up to Graces.

If you start with either Graces or Vesperia, and go back to Abyss, you might feel like Abyss is child's play.

Abyss is more accessible, and it's the one I found the least fun out of the three. Start with that one, work your way up to Vesperia, and then work up to Graces.

If you start with either Graces or Vesperia, and go back to Abyss, you might feel like Abyss is child's play.

Eh, I say skip Abyss and start straight with Vesperia. Might as well play a better game unless you're absolutely sure you're gonna play all 3.

Sagitario

I think for a first timer, Vesperia would much be easier/better!

The battle system is definitely easier to understand and the characters don't get as much hate.

Top Bottom