• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Question regarding post-game

Do I only get to play as Richard in the future arc?
Well... (Future arc spoilers)
He's a party member in Future Arc, but...

...you can have Richard playable in the main game if you have his Narikiri doll and give it to one of the humanoids at Telos Astue to allow one of your party members or multiple ones to turn into Richard. I believe you can find the Narikiri doll in the final dungeon in a chest (one of the last ones). You can also make one by fusing an Incredible bone + Demon's claw, which you can get as drops in the final dungeon of the f Arc, I believe?

Absoludacrous said:
Eh, I say skip Abyss and start straight with Vesperia. Might as well play a better game unless you're absolutely sure you're gonna play all 3.
LOL, I don't really care for Abyss very much. Just that since he has all three, and probably intends to play all of them, it's probably best to start from the one that's the easiest... and has the least likeable cast.

This game has a bad case of Walk-Out-Of-Dungeon-itis.

I don't care how gamey it is, give me a quickjump option.
You get one later on. The Kamenin Merchants Turtlez give you the option later on, anyway. Nevermind, I can't read. Though they do appear towards the end of the game.

question about dualizing gems. what's the A-B-C mean in gems you got after dualizing 2 tempered equipment? I seems to notice that higher alphabet means better? but then it also have it's own quality modifier to each gem, and I'm not sure how to control the outcome of gem dualization.

for example, after numerous random experimentation, I come with F (or E, I forgot) gem with P. Attack (5) and C. Attack (4). that's a pretty good accessories I can equip, I think adding like +32 P.attack or something.

now what do I need to continue making better gem, I read it can goes up to 9, and wonder how to do that. what gem do I need to dualize it with to make it higher

also, once an equipment is tempered, is there any benefit to continue using that equipment, or is it better to just extract a gem out of it and dualize with another shard again to get that extra stat increase (from swod+1 to sword+2)

question about dualizing gems. what's the A-B-C mean in gems you got after dualizing 2 tempered equipment? I seems to notice that higher alphabet means better? but then it also have it's own quality modifier to each gem, and I'm not sure how to control the outcome of gem dualization.

for example, after numerous random experimentation, I come with F (or E, I forgot) gem with P. Attack (5) and C. Attack (4). that's a pretty good accessories I can equip, I think adding like +32 P.attack or something.

now what do I need to continue making better gem, I read it can goes up to 9, and wonder how to do that.

also, once an equipment is tempered, is there any benefit to continue using that equipment, or is it better to just extract a gem out of it and dualize with shard again to get that extra stat increase (from swod+1 to sword+2)

Not entirely sure about the gem question but equipment gets a bonus once its tempered, like -10% damage taken or +10% damage done for armor and weapons respectively

Not entirely sure about the gem question but equipment gets a bonus once its tempered, like -10% damage taken or +10% damage done for armor and weapons respectively

yeah I understand that, it's just that once it's tempered, and I dualize it to another tempered equipment, the +10% damage effect will be gone, but that also let me to dualize the equipment again with another shard, getting a permanent stat increase and sooner get another bonus effect once that equipment is tempered again.

I just wondered if the bonus effect from tempered weapon can increase, like from +10% damage to +15% damage if I keep using said equipment.

yeah I understand that, it's just that once it's tempered, and I dualize it to another tempered equipment, the +10% damage effect will be gone, but that also let me to dualize the equipment again with another shard, getting a permanent stat increase and sooner get another bonus effect once that equipment is tempered again.

I just wondered if the bonus effect from tempered weapon can increase, like from +10% damage to +15% damage if I keep using said equipment.

Don't think the temper would go up, think its based off the quality of the equipment. only thing that would keep going up is the base stat increase from dualizing.

Coxswain

The cast of this game is so fucking horrible. The combat system is totally rad and everything, but fuck :(

I bought the game on release, but I've been taking two and three day breaks from it just because I need a couple days to forget the pain. Not even Star Ocean 4 bothered me this much.

Do you have to actually be moving in order for the eleth mixer to duplicate items, or can you be standing still? Just wondering if I can leave the game on overnight and come back to a bunch of new items

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
The cast of this game is so fucking horrible. The combat system is totally rad and everything, but fuck :(

I bought the game on release, but I've been taking two and three day breaks from it just because I need a couple days to forget the pain. Not even Star Ocean 4 bothered me this much.
Hey now. I'm not going to defend the cast too much, since there are problems with it, but Star Ocean 4 bad? Its nowhere near Star Ocean 4 bad. At the very least, the better voice acting, lack of fetish character archetypes and Asbel's decisiveness should save the cast from that.

Coxswain

Hey now. I'm not going to defend the cast too much, since there are problems with it, but Star Ocean 4 bad? Its nowhere near Star Ocean 4 bad. At the very least, the better voice acting, lack of fetish character archetypes and Asbel's decisiveness should save the cast from that.

Star Ocean 4 definitely had the more disgusting cast of characters*, but basically once they joined your party they pretty much fucked off and hung out in the background for a few hours until their next awful cutscene - which you could skip, and then you'd get a nice little text summary of what happened in the cutscene so you knew exactly what was going on without having to watch all that shit. In this game, cutscenes usually involve the whole party in more than a token way, plus you get skits where they hide a lot of foreshadowing/exposition, plus you've got more elaborate after-battle bits.

Compared to SO4, what its cast lacks in raw horribleness, it more than makes up for by just being fucking relentless about it. Edit: Also, obviously, if you skip a cutscene, you're just left in the dark about what's actually going on.

*And even then, that's just a numbers game. SO4 had five female characters (plus Welch) to turn your stomach with, where Graces only has three. But Sophie is just Lymle, Cheria is just Reimi, and Pascal is just Welch. There's nothing to their personality beyond the basic (gross, shitty, fetishized) archetype, and Graces doesn't even have better versions of those same archetypes - on the contrary, they're constantly in your party, and they're constantly talking about shit.
Asbel isn't really meaningfully different from Edge, either, at least in the early game. He's actually more of a whiny, inconsistent wuss.

Xenoblade was already a success and whether you buy it now or later won't change a thing regarding more Monolithsoft games. Graces F is the game that needs support right now.

That is absolutely not true. Yes, Tales needs support because we always barely get these games, but Xenoblade Chronicles has a lot more to it. If you buy Tales of Graces f, you show that you are a Tales fan and imply more Tales should be released. Xenoblade seems to be a bigger deal. Tales are usually successful in Japan, and Xenoblade, while critically successfully, didn't set the world on fire with its sales. After Operation Rainfall, Xenoblade shows Nintendo that there are RPG fans, that there is room for RPG budgets in their first-party, and that localizing these games are beneficial. Support both games, but the way I see it, Xenoblade Chronicles is honestly the bigger deal.

Sorry for the derail. I just had to say that. I hope Tales of Graces f and Xenoblade Chronicles sell well!

Was reading on the JP Wiki about how to level up my Eleth Pot.

http://www23.atwiki.jp/talesofgracesf/pages/60.html

Basically this describes the exp system and how much exp is required to level up the pot's # of available slots, and max eleth capacity. Does anyone know how accurate this is (or isn't)? I've been using the Book of Maintenance for probably the last 6 hours without any food in my Mixer at all, so that means it is guaranteed to proc every fight. Also frequently use the Book of Wealth. That should give me +200 slot exp every single fight, and according to this only 2000 exp is required to go from 7 slots to 8 slots. But I haven't seen it happen in over 6 hours.

Edit: Also, dose anyone have a full description of what was in this most recent DLC? Was it just costumes? I thought I saw someone talking about Eleth Pot upgrades and inventory upgrades too.

Noooooooo! Was half way though a dungeon
2nd one on Fodra
and the idiots who were cleaning our air filter blew the fuse box because they plugged their machine into the wrong outlet -.-

Bladenic

Started the final dungeon and it's big and long. Quit after getting stuck at an absolutely huge floor with those activating glyphs, kept screwing up.

RPGCrazied

Man. I'm getting raped at the Eleth dungeon on hard. I was trying to unlock evil mode. Is that 200 consecutive fights to unlock that, or can you do some hard, switch to an easier mode, then go back to hard?

Man. I'm getting raped at the Eleth dungeon on hard. I was trying to unlock evil mode. Is that 200 consecutive fights to unlock that, or can you do some hard, switch to an easier mode, then go back to hard?

Just gotta do 200 fights on hard. I was able to unlock Evil by doing most of the random battles on Hard and lowering it for the bosses. Still haven't been able to unlock Chaos yet though.

RPGCrazied

Just gotta do 200 fights on hard. I was able to unlock Evil by doing most of the random battles on Hard and lowering it for the bosses. Still haven't been able to unlock Chaos yet though.

Ok, thanks. I have to be close then. I've done quite a few fights on hard. I wish you could see your progress.

I trekked through that horrible Bathus Citadel dungeon again. I wanted Maliks formal costume. But I don't see a star there. :( Is it cause I'm in F arc, and haven't beat it yet? Same thing for Zhonecage, it disappeared.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Ok, thanks. I have to be close then. I've done quite a few fights on hard. I wish you could see your progress.

I trekked through that horrible Bathus Citadel dungeon again. I wanted Maliks formal costume. But I don't see a star there. :( Is it cause I'm in F arc, and haven't beat it yet? Same thing for Zhonecage, it disappeared.

You can't do any of the main storyline stuff in future.

It's not consecutive. I dropped it down to easy on the second 60-second trophy fight and put it back to hard and unlocked evil a few battles later.

barrin87

I am not nearly as far as any of you so I don't know anything about what is going on in this thread!

So you have to fight 200 battles on hard to unlock evil. Do you have to do the same thing on evil to unlock chaos?

I am just playing and Moderate right now so I don't know about any of this yet.

scy

I am not nearly as far as any of you so I don't know anything about what is going on in this thread!

So you have to fight 200 battles on hard to unlock evil. Do you have to do the same thing on evil to unlock chaos?

I am just playing and Moderate right now so I don't know about any of this yet.

Hard (200) -> Evil
Evil (300) -> Chaos
Chaos (infinity) -> Still Chaos, sorry.

Bladenic

Is the amount of time and level the Eleth Burst activates at completely random every time? Because I want to see some third Mystic Artes but the past few times have all been level 1 and like 6 seconds which is not enough time to do anything.

barrin87

Hard (200) -> Evil
Evil (300) -> Chaos
Chaos (infinity) -> Still Chaos, sorry.

Great, thanks for the information! I will have to try switching the settings to hard and see if I can manage it.

Does anything know if you could switch the final battle to Chaos and getting the trophy for completing the game on Chaos or do you have to play through the entire game that way?

RPGCrazied

Great, thanks for the information! I will have to try switching the settings to hard and see if I can manage it.

Does anything know if you could switch the final battle to Chaos and getting the trophy for completing the game on Chaos or do you have to play through the entire game that way?

Just the final boss.

when you do evil/chaos. putting Hard on bossu will be too easy since you're way too strong for them. i say just grind while on evil/chaos to beat them even if they are shitty with their artes lol.

I never understood the benefit of playing on harder difficulties in tales games. The only difference is that it takes longer to kill stuff and you get more frustrated when your incompetent AI get's killed for being incompetent.

Er the boss in the Fendel Lab is owning me. I'm like level 33ish. I really don't have many abilities that hits his weakness. Any tips? Am I too low?

I never understood the benefit of playing on harder difficulties in tales games. The only difference is that it takes longer to kill stuff and you get more frustrated when your incompetent AI get's killed for being incompetent.
You're right in most cases, but it is BEAUTIFUL in this game, each level makes the game more and more fun (with the exception of bosses, sadly). And as noted above, you get better experience, SP and item drops for each difficulty you tick up.

Well apparentally the two teams don't even really exist anymore (I read this somewhere) so we'll probably be seeing more Hearts and Xillia type titles.
They didn't really exist in the first place (technically), it was always just Namco Tales Studio and both "teams" had lots of crossover talent.

That said, I will be sure to follow whichever next Tales game had Tatsurou Udo on the battle system design. THAT'S the key you'll want to pay attention to. He's the one that took over as battle system design after Tales of Destiny. So the first time you played Eternia and said OHMIGAWD THIS IS AWESOME; yeah, that was his handiwork.

Er the boss in the Fendel Lab is owning me. I'm like level 33ish. I really don't have many abilities that hits his weakness. Any tips? Am I too low?

Lower the difficulty. That boss is flat out ridiculous.

Also change your party members strategy. Turn off everything that says Aggressive and change it to Balanced, and make sure Guard is set to Regularly

So I tried to play a battle in Abyss 3DS after getting close to finishing Graces. It was sort of painful.

The battle transition/loading was slow, compared to Graces's instant battles. I tried using tons of (b-)artes, but quickly ran out of TP. I tried sidestepping to no avail.

Basically, Graces ruined Tales for me. :p (In reality, I'm just going to have to get re-used to Abyss. I had to get used to Graces when I first played, too.)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Was reading on the JP Wiki about how to level up my Eleth Pot.

http://www23.atwiki.jp/talesofgracesf/pages/60.html

Basically this describes the exp system and how much exp is required to level up the pot's # of available slots, and max eleth capacity. Does anyone know how accurate this is (or isn't)? I've been using the Book of Maintenance for probably the last 6 hours without any food in my Mixer at all, so that means it is guaranteed to proc every fight. Also frequently use the Book of Wealth. That should give me +200 slot exp every single fight, and according to this only 2000 exp is required to go from 7 slots to 8 slots. But I haven't seen it happen in over 6 hours.
Yeah, it took 2000 XP for me to go from 7 to 8 slots the first time I went through the game. So the total XP accumulated is about 3500-3600 XP for the 8 slots. Use the Good Luck Grimoire and Double Grimoire to speed up the growth.

I also found that synthesizing Red Herbs (questionable powder + any herb) increased XP as well. So you could slot Glue and Chalk in there, and Knight of Spring Water.

But I concentrated more on levelling up the energy rather than levelling up the slots. It's easier and faster than levelling the slots up. Plus, the energy bit is required for the trophy. That's about it.

fyi, you can unlock evil be starting a New Game+.
I've always hated some Tales games' approaches to doing this. It works beautifully in this game where you can unlock difficulties by battling it up a lot and the higher difficulties demonstrate how you can combo with synergy with your party members since enemies have higher HP...

But the "unlock higher difficulties than Hard" thing returns in Xillia. I remember grinding up to the 800 battle trophy wondering why I wasn't unlocking a new difficulty until I realized that Xillia exhibited the 'unlock Mania when you finish the game once' syndrome. Kinda sucks because in that game, you can level up shops and give the shops new inventory. So you're busy using higher level weapons against fodder in new areas and you can't really do anything about it even if you're on Hard Mode.

I didn't really have issues with AI in this game, actually. There was one time when Malik wouldn't fight at all until I changed his AI settings a bit. Ah well. It's because the AI settings aren't as... uh, plentiful in this game compared to say, Vesperia or Xillia, I guess.

So I tried to play a battle in Abyss 3DS after getting close to finishing Graces. It was sort of painful.

The battle transition/loading was slow, compared to Graces's instant battles. I tried using tons of (b-)artes, but quickly ran out of TP. I tried sidestepping to no avail.

Basically, Graces ruined Tales for me. :p (In reality, I'm just going to have to get re-used to Abyss. I had to get used to Graces when I first played, too.)
Welcome to the club. :p

I tried playing Xillia last night and ended up trying to around-step half the time when I realized that Jude is the only guy who zero-shift dodges.

Basically, Graces ruined Tales for me.
HA. I said that a couple of pages back.

Although I'm pretty sure I'm done with Tales games that don't have Udo's stamp on them, I'm not going to force myself to get used to a weaker battle system again. I LOVED Destiny R. I am LOVING Graces. I was disappointed to mildly placated with everything that came in-between (except Hearts, which I never played).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
HA. I said that a couple of pages back.

Although I'm pretty sure I'm done with Tales games that don't have Udo's stamp on them, I'm not going to force myself to get used to a weaker battle system again. I LOVED Destiny R. I am LOVING Graces. I was disappointed to mildly placated with everything that came in-between (except Hearts, which I never played).
Did you play Rebirth?

Rebirth's pretty awesome. Graces, Rebirth, and Destiny Remake are my three favourites. Even if Rebirth has a lame story, the gameplay more than makes up for its shortcomings.

Yeah, it took 2000 XP for me to go from 7 to 8 slots the first time I went through the game. So the total XP accumulated is about 3500-3600 XP for the 8 slots. Use the Good Luck Grimoire and Double Grimoire to speed up the growth.

I also found that synthesizing Red Herbs (questionable powder + any herb) increased XP as well. So you could slot Glue and Chalk in there, and Knight of Spring Water.

Which one is the Good Luck Grimoire? I assume Double is the one that produces 2 of each item every time instead of 1. Is the Good Luck one the one that increases the rate of production? If so, yea I haven't gotten that one yet, I believe it's near the end of the game.

When you say synthesizing herbs increased XP, do you mean actually dualizing them from the shop? Or putting a red herb into the eleth mixer and letting it be produced that way? Because if that's the case, then why would one of the red herbs be more advantageous than something else?

Also, any chance you know the English name (or item number) of the Knight of Spring Water? Doesn't translate to anything obvious in game that I can think of, which would cause my eleth to increase more quickly as well.

Also, main reason I wanted more slots (instead of just eleth) is because then I can produce items more quickly. i.e. more chances to get an item produced each time.

Top Bottom