• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

scy

I never understood the benefit of playing on harder difficulties in tales games. The only difference is that it takes longer to kill stuff and you get more frustrated when your incompetent AI get's killed for being incompetent.

I've had about zero issues with the AI and I've been on Chaos since I unlocked it (same for Evil). Honestly, Chaos is pretty easy and random fights are still done in under 20 seconds.

Did you play Rebirth?

Rebirth's pretty awesome. Graces, Rebirth, and Destiny Remake are my three favourites. Even if Rebirth has a lame story, the gameplay more than makes up for its shortcomings.
I did, but I never actually got into it or made it very far. I think it felt slower than Eternia and Destiny 2 to me and that threw me off a bit. I do intend to revisit it though, because it's the only Udo Tales game I have yet to really OCD over.

You're all making me sad that none of the other Team Destiny games are out in America (and no translation patches, either). :( I'd love to play Destiny remake and Destiny 2.

My next Tales game will be Legendia. After that, I will have played all of the American released Tales games.

Graces question: Where do you find the Wind thing for Pascal? I have the others, can't find Wind.

I've had about zero issues with the AI and I've been on Chaos since I unlocked it (same for Evil). Honestly, Chaos is pretty easy and random fights are still done in under 20 seconds.

I think it's one of those things where it only works if you start doing it early. I levelled on Normal up until I was around 60% through the game, then I switched to Hard just to see, and I got totally destroyed. It was like fighting
Cedric and Kurt
at the same time. Just boom boom dead. I guess when you start out on it your levels and title skills advance much more rapidly.

But yea, definitely doing it on a NG+.

Aeana

Internet was out all day, so I spent my internet times playing Graces instead. I'm up to the royal sanctuary, and I'm already really happy to be replaying Graces. I think it is my favorite Tales by far. The other ones that I like a lot (ToDr, Rebirth, Vesperia, etc.) all have really major flaws that bring down the experience in some way, but I don't really feel like Graces has any major glaring points that are far below the rest of the package.

scy

Graces question: Where do you find the Wind thing for Pascal? I have the others, can't find Wind.

Leave Gralesyde by the
west exit and talk to the bandit on the path three times
. At least, I assume that's what you're talking about.

I think it's one of those things where it only works if you start doing it early. I levelled on Normal up until I was around 60% through the game, then I switched to Hard just to see, and I got totally destroyed. It was like fighting
Cedric and Kurt
at the same time. Just boom boom dead. I guess when you start out on it your levels and title skills advance much more rapidly.

But yea, definitely doing it on a NG+.

Yeah, probably. You get so much more out of it that it just culminates in such a huge boost to you overall. Going from mid-game Normal straight to Chaos is a bit harsh, I imagine.

You're all making me sad that none of the other Team Destiny games are out in America (and no translation patches, either). :( I'd love to play Destiny remake and Destiny 2.
Import. They're both completely worth it and fairly easy to play if you have little or no Japanese knowledge.

My next Tales game will be Legendia. After that, I will have played all of the American released Tales games.
Well, it's a weak entry but not as bad as people make it out to be. The second half drags the game down though. A lot.

But it's the only Tales game with music that isn't useless. In fact, the soundtrack is almost Nier quality.

Internet was out all day, so I spent my internet times playing Graces instead. I'm up to the royal sanctuary, and I'm already really happy to be replaying Graces. I think it is my favorite Tales by far. The other ones that I like a lot (ToDr, Rebirth, Vesperia, etc.) all have really major flaws that bring down the experience in some way, but I don't really feel like Graces has any major glaring points that are far below the rest of the package.
What do you feel is Destiny R's major flaw?

I'd say the playable cast is too large to feel properly balanced (or that each one gets their fair share), but that was simply a carryover from the original game.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Leave Gralesyde by the
west exit and talk to the bandit on the path three times
. At least, I assume that's what you're talking about.

I actually find Pascal's Level 1 BC to be sort of useless. The best Lvl 1 BC to me are Hubert and Malik.

Rpgmonkey

Finished the main story. Final dungeon is no Dycroft, but it was still a pain to navigate and finish.

Game is pretty awesome. I'm going to dig into it a bit more before I attempt to rank it, but I like it a lot. Gameplay is as good as ever, story was a little boring/lame at times but nothing offensive overall. It's a huge step up from Destiny 2 and Rebirth though, so they're at least improving there. All things considered, I'd say it's one of the most well-rounded games in the series.

If there's any "complaint" I have about Graces' combat system, it's that spell chaining isn't really an inherent and heavily encouraged part of combat. One of the most amazing things about the Destiny Remake is that it even spells could be chained together, you didn't need overlimit or whatever to do it, and you didn't have to worry about burning through a finite pool of energy if you did it. Maybe the characters in Graces lack the arsenal necessary to make it interesting or it's just too broken, but stuff like that is what cemented the Chain Capacity system as a really awesome and versatile idea in my mind, so it's a little disappointing to see that aspect was dropped.

RPGCrazied

getting the 100 title trophies is going to be a bitch. Is that all of them per character? I'm still missing quite a few, but I do have the 50 title trophy for everyone.

john tv

Wait, did I read awhile back in this thread that people hated the Wallbridge Ruins dungeon? What the fuck!? Don't tell me people were getting lost or aggravated with this place? O_O
That was like the first dungeon in the game where it required you to use an ounce of your brain! These are the exact kind of dungeons I was expecting in a Tales game. Up to this point everything has been an in-the-way-kinda dungeon.

I thought the dungeon was really cute. I love mini dungeon ideas in RPGs, especially in games where the dungeons are clearly not the emphasis. It even had wrap around kind of backtracking towards the end (or what I have personally termed as "Wrap-Around Couches".
I love it in RPGs/games where you can see a part of a dungeon, say at the start, that you cannot access until later.

Grant it, I've made dungeons like this in old RPG Maker projects, lol, so it's definitely not impressive, but that's not the point. Even though clearly this game is all about the battle mechanics I'd like to AT LEAST see the devs try and come up with some interesting dungeon designs. There is really no excuse when other RPGs marriage great battle and progression systems with good exploration and dungeon creativity. The story got a tad bit more interesting down there too. Still enjoying the game in general.

EDIT: Oh, and holy shit does Chaos give you a lot of SP! I average around 330 during most battles! =D
Actually, I enjoyed that dungeon - it's one of the better dungeons in the game. It's Wallbridge itself (with all the identical-looking towers and ladders and so on) that everyone complains about (me included). Terrible design IMO.

RPGCrazied

The worst dungeon for me was bathus citadel and the last dungeon of the main game. All those color tiles, and you have to go on them a certain order. Just ew. The moving the blocks all around in bathus was no picnic either.

Yeah currently just playing moderate. The only difficulty level that doesn't seem to have frustrating boss battles.

is there any way to tell your homies to backoff when the baddies burst? Wasting a life bottle due to an AI getting hi ougi'ed seems to be a bit silly.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Which one is the Good Luck Grimoire? I assume Double is the one that produces 2 of each item every time instead of 1. Is the Good Luck one the one that increases the rate of production? If so, yea I haven't gotten that one yet, I believe it's near the end of the game.

When you say synthesizing herbs increased XP, do you mean actually dualizing them from the shop? Or putting a red herb into the eleth mixer and letting it be produced that way? Because if that's the case, then why would one of the red herbs be more advantageous than something else?

Also, any chance you know the English name (or item number) of the Knight of Spring Water? Doesn't translate to anything obvious in game that I can think of, which would cause my eleth to increase more quickly as well.

Also, main reason I wanted more slots (instead of just eleth) is because then I can produce items more quickly. i.e. more chances to get an item produced each time.
Um... what is the Good Luck Grimoire called in English? :x It's the one in Basith Base (or whatever they're calling it now, so you probably haven't gotten there yet). The frequency of creating an item with the Eleth Pot will double if you use it, yeah.

I meant putting a red herb into the Arles Pot and letting it be produced that way. I usually used them to stat boost, and they consume... 350 energy to add to the arles pot energy XP gain, iirc. But I guess you could pick something else.

I wish I knew the English name of Knight of Spring Water. I *think* it's 166 or 167. Just checked. It's 182.

I'm sorry. I'm advancing through the English version really slowly. I don't usually play console games on school/work days, so I'm only at Gralesyde at the moment. I'm just going on my knowledge of the JP version so I end up using JP names for everything. :/

I did, but I never actually got into it or made it very far. I think it felt slower than Eternia and Destiny 2 to me and that threw me off a bit. I do intend to revisit it though, because it's the only Udo Tales game I have yet to really OCD over.
Revisit it after Graces. It's awesome. I like Graces more than Rebirth, though, but Rebirth is up there. Not sure which one out of ToDr or Rebirth have my favourite 2D battle systems since I'd recently went back to ToDr a bit and had a blast.

kayos90 said:
Maou Engekiha is pretty broken as well.
I love this attack and Hadou Meppuu. They're my favourite attacks in the entire game. Mwahahahaha.

In a bind? Maou Engekiha!/Hadou Meppuu!
Wanna get through something quick? Maou Engekiha!/Hadou Meppuu!
Don't care anymore? Maou Engekiha!/Hadou Meppuu!
LOL? Maou Engekiha!/Hadou Meppuu!

Kinda helps that (Japanese) Asbel sounds like a badass when he says Maou Engekiha. :3
Hadou Meppuu is just a damn powerhouse.

Yeah currently just playing moderate. The only difficulty level that doesn't seem to have frustrating boss battles.

is there any way to tell your homies to backoff when the baddies burst? Wasting a life bottle due to an AI getting hi ougi'ed seems to be a bit silly.
I just went into the strategy menu, set them to passive and guard 100%. You can also switch to them to get away from the enemy while the AI is set that way, and switch back to the guy you normally use with the D-pad.

Finally got more than half an hour to play this since it arrived on Saturday.

The combat on Hard is SO GOOD. Direct and purposeful, yet flashy and fast. So damn good.

The narrative and characters are not bad, that was not false praise. They're kinda...comforting, in a way. Not annoying in the slightest.

kayos90

Finally got more than half an hour to play this since it arrived on Saturday.

The combat on Hard is SO GOOD. Direct and purposeful, yet flashy and fast. So damn good.

The narrative and characters are not bad, that was not false praise. They're kinda...comforting, in a way. Not annoying in the slightest.

The best scene I've seen so far is when
Asbel actually gets mad at Sophie as they're escaping World's Eye. He actually says, "Damn you Sophie!"

kewlmyc

The best scene I've seen so far is when
Asbel actually gets mad at Sophie as they're escaping World's Eye. He actually says, "Damn you Sophie!"

That was one of the better acted scenes by Asbel. Too bad
his ending conversation with Lambda sounded like the VA was about to fall asleep

Oh man, just wait until you open up Evil and Chaos.

Yeah, I feel the same way. It's not ground-breaking, but it's also not overly obnoxious. Even if it's just filler for the battle system.

The skits are fantastic though.

scy

Evil/Chaos are mostly rough when you first unlock them (and/or if you're underleveled/under ... title maxing, I guess?) but they're really not so bad. You can combo so much better that the higher HP doesn't really mean much in the end.

Honestly, I don't even know how some of you are getting some of the combo titles on Normal :x I have a hard enough time getting 20+ hit combos on most Chaos enemies since they die so fast. I just recently broke 100+ on a boss (and only dropped it due to enemy Eleth Burst) :(

kayos90

That was one of the better acted scenes by Asbel. Too bad
his ending conversation with Lambda sounded like the VA was about to fall asleep

Yeah.
Lambda
is supposed to be one of the most badass sounding dudes ever but he sounds like absolute s*** in this game. Ugh, ruined the ending.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah.
Lambda
is supposed to be one of the most badass sounding dudes ever but he sounds like absolute s*** in this game. Ugh, ruined the ending.
My boyfriend asked me the other day, "Why does the disco pants guy sound like a wuss in this version?" :lol

How does Maou Engekiha sound in this version anyway? I haven't gotten it yet.

Does it let me go revisit various towns for Inn Requests and such?
You can use the shuttle after you finish the events at Fodra.

kayos90

My boyfriend asked me the other day, "Why does the disco pants guy sound like a wuss in this version?" :lol

They sound okay. And yes, Asbel's VA is nothing to Sakurai. Nothing.

Bladenic

Is the amount of time and level the Eleth Burst activates at completely random every time? Because I want to see some third Mystic Artes but the past few times have all been level 1 and like 6 seconds which is not enough time to do anything.

Posting again since I didn't get an answer, though I'm fairly certain it's random, which is pretty annoying.

And all this Rebirth conversation is making me want to go play it! I played through it two years ago, I think, for the first time and adored it. Couldn't understand anything, but lanyn's youtube channel helped me get a good grasp on what was going on. And the battle system is, without a doubt, one of the series best. And hell, one of the most fun of any RPG ever (though Tales is probably the series I'd call the straight up most fun out of any RPG series). I lost my old memory stick and got a new one, and for some reason, decided I'd pop Rebirth in for a quick sec. Ended up playing it through all the way to the end last Thanksgiving and then started a second (third overall) playthrough to try and do Blue Earth (did not work).

Graces, Rebirth, and Vesperia are undoubtedly at the top for me in Tales series. Vesperia is my overall numero uno but I'm inclined to say Rebirth and Graces might be just a tad better in battle systems. All three are massive amounts of fun though.

And on the topic of voice acting, being at the end of the game I find it overall average. You have some really good ones (Cheria, Pascal, and Malik), some just good ones (Hubert) but then there's Sophie and Asbel. I swear Sophie sounds really different in between battles, cutscenes, and anime scenes. Really weird. Then there's Asbel, who has that whole awkward mid sentence pause and dry reading style delivery. The scene after the penultimate dungeon was his best acted one, and he does fine in skits. I swear all the cast does way better in skits and battle than in the story scenes lol.

Speaking of characters, Asbel is pretty low on my Tales protagonists list. Maybe it's because the last three games I played were Vesperia, Legendia, and Rebirth, so he really can't measure up to any of those main guys (especially Yuri) but he's just so boring and such a wuss.

Koroviev

You're a lady? I have a bad tendency of assuming gender based on avatars. Almost always wrong :x

Aeana

It still kinda blows my mind how dark the end of the childhood arc is. It was really unexpected last time, and I think it took me by surprise again this time.

And I think I'm going to start replaying Rebirth as my portable game, although I think my sister will get angry with me for once again electing to not play ToD2. ToD2 remains the only Tales game I haven't played for more than a couple of hours.

Bladenic

It still kinda blows my mind how dark the end of the childhood arc is. It was really unexpected last time, and I think it took me by surprise again this time.

And I think I'm going to start replaying Rebirth as my portable game, although I think my sister will get angry with me for once again electing to not play ToD2. ToD2 remains the only Tales game I haven't played for more than a couple of hours.

I keep meaning on playing Destiny 2, I planned on getting it soon after I finish Graces. Any reason why you can't play it? Most seem to hold it in fairly high regard?

And wtf at this room in the final dungeon. Swear it seems like I've tried every route but it still teleports me back to the entrance. Ugh.

Aeana

I keep meaning on playing Destiny 2, I planned on getting it soon after I finish Graces. Any reason why you can't play it? Most seem to hold it in fairly high regard?

And wtf at this room in the final dungeon. Swear it seems like I've tried every route but it still teleports me back to the entrance. Ugh.

No, there's no reason, I just always end up playing something else instead.

I've seen a lot of pic drops on various boards, and it never ceases to amaze me what a sausage fest it usually turns out to be lol

There's a fair number of female posters here, myself included.

Posting again since I didn't get an answer, though I'm fairly certain it's random, which is pretty annoying.

IIRC, and I don't remember the specific details, but I believe the length of your Eleth Rise depends on the number of Eleth Rises you had consecutively. So the more Eleth Rises you have in a row, the longer it will be. But, it will revert back to the initial length if you get an Eleth Break. In addition, the length of an Eleth Break would be dependent on how many Eleth Rises you had in a row, so the more Rises you have, the longer the Break will be.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sorry, didn't see it last time.

Eleth Burst time can be increased if you enter into it one Burst after the other without letting the enemy go into Eleth Break (so it gets increased from 9 to 13 to 15 to 20 seconds), and time carries over to the next battle if the enemy doesn't go into Eleth Break/if you don't go to a save point.

I think once you get to 20 seconds, it'll stay there unless the enemy goes into Eleth Break or if you save.

And all this Rebirth conversation is making me want to go play it! I played through it two years ago, I think, for the first time and adored it. Couldn't understand anything, but lanyn's youtube channel helped me get a good grasp on what was going on. And the battle system is, without a doubt, one of the series best. And hell, one of the most fun of any RPG ever (though Tales is probably the series I'd call the straight up most fun out of any RPG series). I lost my old memory stick and got a new one, and for some reason, decided I'd pop Rebirth in for a quick sec. Ended up playing it through all the way to the end last Thanksgiving and then started a second (third overall) playthrough to try and do Blue Earth (did not work).
They probably didn't localize it because the story isn't good. :/

Even then, the system in Rebirth is amazing and ridiculously fun, and hearing Veigue voiced by Link yelling Claire a lot was nice. I liked the character interactions in Rebirth, but I didn't really like the story much.

bubnbob said:
I did that, but it zipped me directly to the next section.
Did you beat the boss in Lambda Cocoon yet? Trophy should've popped marking the end of the chapter and you should've been able to go back wherever you want after that...

Koroviev said:
You're a lady? I have a bad tendency of assuming gender based on avatars. Almost always wrong :x
kayos90 said:
OWNED! Rofl, just kidding. I thought Schala was a dude until I worked with her on the OT. Hahahaha.
Ah, don't worry about it. My avatar really doesn't help matters, lol.

This sort of thing seems to happen quite a bit on GAF since it's likely that there are more guys than girls here. I've seen poor Aeana get mistaken for a guy a lot. :(

Top Bottom