• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

So I got this today to support further Tales games (namely Xillia) coming to the US. Game's decent so far, but the battle system...

I HATE it.

It's so disjointed and weird, the sidestep thing is lame and isn't precise unless you use the Square button + a direction, I dislike the stupid CC meter, and the fact that all moves are Artes so you basically hit a direction and the attack button for everything (which also seems inaccurate and I've got moves coming out I didn't want).

Say what you want about the Team Symphonia battle systems but I'd take one of theirs any day of the week over this monstrosity. I'm just hoping it gets better or it clicks or...something, because right now battles are the lamest thing in the game by far and I'm basically playing for the story and the characters (both of which I do really like thus far and have for a while, if you notice the Asbel av).

So I got this today to support further Tales games (namely Xillia) coming to the US. Game's decent so far, but the battle system...

I HATE it.

It's so disjointed and weird, the sidestep thing is lame and isn't precise unless you use the Square button + a direction, I dislike the stupid CC meter, and the fact that all moves are Artes so you basically hit a direction and the attack button for everything (which also seems inaccurate and I've got moves coming out I didn't want).

Say what you want about the Team Symphonia battle systems but I'd take one of theirs any day of the week over this monstrosity. I'm just hoping it gets better or it clicks or...something, because right now battles are the lamest thing in the game by far and I'm basically playing for the story and the characters (both of which I do really like thus far and have for a while, if you notice the Asbel av).

Wow, pure unadulterated madness. The combat system so far is the one thing that everyone else universally agrees is better than every other Tales game.

I HATE it.

While I haven't played the game, I've been talking to my friend about it and honestly he completely hated the battle system at first and now he absolutely loves it after being in the mid-game.

I think the main problem is that it's drastically different to the Team Symphonia's battle system and you're trying to play the game like that. It opens up a lot more once you start earning skills and titles. I can't say for sure, but he absolutely loves the battle system now but said that it sucked for the child arc and for the beginning of the main arc.

I find the above post pretty ironic.

Well the post above the post above me.

What can I say? I'm really enjoying this game. I mean REAlLY enjoying.

I HATE it.

Give it time to figure it out.

It wasn't until an optional fight at a dried up well that I suddenly understood the battle system and it became the most amazing thing ever.

Aeana

So I got this today to support further Tales games (namely Xillia) coming to the US. Game's decent so far, but the battle system...I HATE it.It's so disjointed and weird, the sidestep thing is lame and isn't precise unless you use the Square button + a direction, I dislike the stupid CC meter, and the fact that all moves are Artes so you basically hit a direction and the attack button for everything (which also seems inaccurate and I've got moves coming out I didn't want).Say what you want about the Team Symphonia battle systems but I'd take one of theirs any day of the week over this monstrosity. I'm just hoping it gets better or it clicks or...something, because right now battles are the lamest thing in the game by far and I'm basically playing for the story and the characters (both of which I do really like thus far and have for a while, if you notice the Asbel av).

Well, that's how you're supposed to use it. The double tap thing is an afterthought.
I'm going to say that you're going to learn to appreciate CC eventually. Everyone does. It's just so much better than TP.

As for "hitting a direction and the attack button for everything," I don't know if you realize this, but the directions modify your regular attack in every single other Tales game too.

Revisit it after Graces. It's awesome. I like Graces more than Rebirth, though, but Rebirth is up there. Not sure which one out of ToDr or Rebirth have my favourite 2D battle systems since I'd recently went back to ToDr a bit and had a blast.
I will, eventually. I have Kid Icarus this weekend and then Xenoblade and The Last Story coming up and a stack of Wii games I've been meaning to get to and so on and so on.

Neki

I HATE it.

you're probably still in the child arc

I tried using the Magic Carta FAQ on Gamefaqs to do this stupid card game but it doesn't have pictures of anything. So I can look at all these cards but have no idea who is who. Does anyone have a link to a site with pictures of all the cards and their names?

I HATE it.

It get's easier later on when your minimum CC rises. If you dualize weapons with CC shards (you'll know which ones), CC won't be too much of a problem for you.

I usually dualize cryas attack and defense boost shards with my healers/supporters (Sophie, Cheria, Pasal, etc), regualar attack boosts with my damage dealers (Malik, Hubert, etc), and CC with Asbel as my main.

Ack. I still haven't dualized my weapons/armors much, it's the one thing about the game I'm not too crazy about. Everything else is so stream-lined and buttery smooth and the whole shards and tempering and crystals stuff feels overly complex and time-consuming.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

I HATE it.

You'll get used to it. The switch from TP to CC is a little big, but you're probably going to end up liking it more than TP after a while. It gets even better and feels more flexible when you get more CC. Give it time to grow.

And that's kinda how you're supposed to use Around-Step. Again, you'll get used to it and appreciate it a little after you move through the game a little more. If you're on higher difficulties, Around-Step is basically your friend if you want to restore CC, get extra CC, etc.

And you hit directions and X/O to execute artes in every other Tales game.. >.>

PixyJunket said:
I will, eventually. I have Kid Icarus this weekend and then Xenoblade and The Last Story coming up and a stack of Wii games I've been meaning to get to and so on and so on.
Oh, I forgot this is coming out this weekend. I was thinking of picking it up since the composer list was announced + it has alternative control schemes so I can at least play it now rather than try to clumsily play it right-handed style.

bubnbob said:
I'm there right now. That's not exactly in
Fodra
so you confused me.
That entire bit is something I associate with
Fodra
, so I'm sorry for the confusion.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The battle system is similar to Star Ocean 4's though.

scy

...and the fact that all moves are Artes so you basically hit a direction and the attack button for everything (which also seems inaccurate and I've got moves coming out I didn't want).

You do realize this is how every Tales game works, right? Except the normals have an Arte name. The real big difference between TP and CC is that CC rewards you for playing better and not being a finite resource shared across battles.

And, well, the dial-a-combo system for A-Artes.

bubnbob

Banned
If you're confused on how the battle system works - know that it's normal to not make those sweet ass combos you see on youtube, which make the battle system look hot as fuck. Those are videos made when people have stuff activated from the Grade Shop, and it's in Eleth Burst mode.

Otherwise, just play like normal and take your time. The battle system is much funner to manage when it's a 1v1 fight, such as at Warrior's Roost.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The battle system is much funner to manage when it's a 1v1 fight, such as at Warrior's Roost.
It really is. When you get the Grimoire that allows you to solo, and you get some of the damage multipliers and start fighting bosses solo in F Arc or towards the end of the main game on Evil/Chaos, it feels pretty great. You have less things to manage like healing allies or something.

Neki

Sigh. I'll bite despite alarms blaring in my head.

Is the story and characters any good?

Most people say that the story and cast is weaker than Vesperia, but no one in the Graces cast sticks out as being very unlikable (except a few vocal people) . The combat system is probably the best system you'll play though. ;)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Generic RPG story but helluva hilarious characters (<3 Pascal <3)

john tv

I HATE it.

Surprised to hear it. TOG's battle system completely destroys that of every other 3D Tales game IMO. Like, just obliterates it. I can't play Vesperia anymore after Graces because the battles are so incredibly dull...

I actually thought the characters were "boring" and serious... In other words, no "comic relief" in any character except Pascal. I was happy that the game was able to bring lots of funny despite that.

Leave Gralesyde by the
west exit and talk to the bandit on the path three times
. At least, I assume that's what you're talking about.

Thanks! I've never actually been down that road throughout the whole game. I finally found
carrots
which was bugging me for a while. :p

Import. They're both completely worth it and fairly easy to play if you have little or no Japanese knowledge.

I have a couple imported Tales games, but it isn't the same. I really like the experience of the story with the game, I guess.

What? No.

Well, there is a scene somewhere (I think
beach resort?
A lot of funny things happened there.) where some of the females choose the people who makes their heart flutter, and Pascal chose
Sophie, take that as you will
... I actually immediately thought of the fan art. lol

Edit @ post above:
- Sophie:
Crashed Shuttle
- Hubert:
Family Vault, if I'm not mistaken
- Malik:
Fire Valkines Cryas
Not sure of others.

I HATE it.

Wow, I didn't think I"d ever hear this. The battle system is easily the best part of the game.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I think the 8-4 guys have a thing for Lord of The Rings.

IIc4E.jpg

DR2K

Banned

So far the sotry is alright. Cheria and Asbel are good, can't really tell where Sophie is heading. So far it's a solid and good jrpg all around, not many alternatives for that.

Bladenic

I have a couple imported Tales games, but it isn't the same. I really like the experience of the story with the game, I guess.

I agree, but Rebirth is so worth it. Trust me. Plus, there's a youtube channel that has every single cutscene translated to English, as well as some very handy gameplay tutorials. The same goes for Destiny 2. So you'd be covered. Yeah it wouldn't be straight from the game but the gameplay in Rebirth is more than worth it. Destiny 2 too I'd imagine.

Aeana

I agree, but Rebirth is so worth it. Trust me. Plus, there's a youtube channel that has every single cutscene translated to English, as well as some very handy gameplay tutorials. The same goes for Destiny 2. So you'd be covered. Yeah it wouldn't be straight from the game but the gameplay in Rebirth is more than worth it. Destiny 2 too I'd imagine.

There's also a completely translated script on GameFAQs that includes skits, if one is so inclined. I took a glance at it and it seems to be of decent quality. The one by lanyn, anyway.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I totally forgot where to get everyone's exclusive armor. Someone want to list them?
Asbel:
Jade Imperial Clothes: go to Asbel's room in Lhant after the last dungeon appears
Sophie:
Silver God Clothes: It's at the crash site. You know, beat the guy who explodes?
Cheria:
Do the inn request in Baronia where you have to find the tuning fork (in the Seaside Cavern), and then you'll get her Amber Vestments
Hubert:
Aqua Imperial Robe: In the Ozwell Treasury (the place where you get Ex Passion) in a treasure chest somewhere there
Pascal:
Scarlet Lotus Robe: I think you get it in Katz village from inn requests. Go to the spa resort, examine the shark floating in the water for a Shark Fin.
Kyokan:
Pitch-Black Clothing: in the Fendel Ice Ruins where the Balkines Cryas is (where Kurtz died), you'll find another opening, and the treasure chest with it appears after you watch the scene at the grave stone and get his third Blast Caliber

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Asbel:
Jade Imperial Clothes: go to Asbel's room in Lhant after the last dungeon appears
Sophie:
Silver God Clothes: It's at the crash site. You know, beat the guy who explodes?
Cheria:
Do the inn request in Baronia where you have to find the tuning fork (in the Seaside Cavern), and then you'll get her Amber Vestments
Hubert:
Aqua Imperial Robe: In the Ozwell Treasury (the place where you get Ex Passion) in a treasure chest somewhere there
Pascal:
Scarlet Lotus Robe: I think you get it in Katz village from inn requests. Go to the spa resort, examine the shark floating in the water for a Shark Fin.
Kyokan:
Pitch-Black Clothing: in the Fendel Ice Ruins where the Balkines Cryas is (where Kurtz died), you'll find another opening, and the treasure chest with it appears after you watch the scene at the grave stone and get his third Blast Caliber

Cuz you do stuff like this for me, I never forget how awesome you are. rofl.

Ties

Banned
Speaking of Malik's third Blast Caliber...
Holy crap the Dragon boss over there is kicking my ass. What level is recommended for someone playing on Hard mode?

So I been playing in the Strategy menu trying to figure out how to make it so that Cheria will actually use her buffing artes? Even if I set her to B artes only and turn off her attacking ones, she'll just stand there till someone needs healing. Is there a magical configuration so she'll do this or I am going to have to spam them manually?

MechaX

Just bumped up the difficulty to hard mode.

After getting nearly annihilated by enemies in the desert (fucking wizards), I think this game's battle system clicked for me completely. Just the fact that now you have to side-step and make sure that you're hitting the enemy with safe moves and not just spam combos (which wasn't so much of a problem in the Team Symphonia games, as the combos were just ridiculously long and/or other enemies didn't bother you, or things like Overlimit made such superfluous). And now knowing when to use A-Artes and B-Artes... Hm.

Man, going back to a Team Symphonia game is going to be quite awkward now.

Aeana

Just bumped up the difficulty to hard mode.

After getting nearly annihilated by enemies in the desert (fucking wizards), I think this game's battle system clicked for me completely. Just the fact that now you have to side-step and make sure that you're hitting the enemy with safe moves and not just spam combos (which wasn't so much of a problem in the Team Symphonia games, as the combos were just ridiculously long and/or other enemies didn't bother you, or things like Overlimit made such superfluous). And now knowing when to use A-Artes and B-Artes... Hm.

Man, going back to a Team Symphonia game is going to be quite awkward now.

Welcome!

Asbel:
Sophie:
Cheria:
Hubert:
Pascal:
Kyokan:

Thanks for this.

You don't need to defeat the enemy to get Sophie's. I have hers, yet don't know how to defeat the enemy.
It's in a treasure chest to the right.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
His name is Malik.
Kyokan!/Captain. :p (kidding, I just ended up calling him that off-hand after a while.)

Cuz you do stuff like this for me, I never forget how awesome you are. rofl.
You knew I was gonna do it anyway. ;)

Holy crap the Dragon boss over there is kicking my ass. What level is recommended for someone playing on Hard mode?
I did the dragon bosses after finishing the Future Arc, so I was over Lv 150 at that point and had access to Accel Mode and Lv 4 Blast Calibers. That particular boss is at Lv 110. The other dragons are at Lv 70 and 90.

So I been playing in the Strategy menu trying to figure out how to make it so that Cheria will actually use her buffing artes? Even if I set her to B artes only and turn off her attacking ones, she'll just stand there till someone needs healing. Is there a magical configuration so she'll do this or I am going to have to spam them manually?
Yeah, she never used them for me until I directed her to. Or unless I controlled her manually. Even when I turned off her healing spells and set her to solely B-Artes, she didn't use them.

Thanks for this.

You don't need to defeat the enemy to get Sophie's. I have hers, yet don't know how to defeat the enemy.
It's in a treasure chest to the right.
I had no idea, lol. I defeated the enemy before getting it when I did the quest. Thanks for the info.

As for the enemy,
equip the titles that reduce damage over 1000 or 1200 on people who have them because he'll explode and 1-shot you if you don't have them equipped. Run away from his reach and block when you notice his HP becomes "unknown".

Bladenic

I think you have to do it at a very high level. I saved right before so it was okay, but my mouth dropped when I saw 950,000 HP on my screen. I may have been on Evil though.

I'm 8 hours in, and I just found out there is DLC to double the SP you earn... WTF

I feel like buying it would be cheating... but I'm tempted... I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!

Aspiring

I HATE it.

Hey!!!! I had dibs on the avatar first!!!! : ) yeah yeah slight differences lol!!!

Anyway trust me I hated the battle system
At first too. All I could do was think of vesperia. Now 20 hours in I'm killing it and it's really fun. The more skills you earn and higher the level the funner it gets. And I'm also now going on hard mode. It's great

Aeana

I'm 8 hours in, and I just found out there is DLC to double the SP you earn... WTF

I feel like buying it would be cheating... but I'm tempted... I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!

If you're not already playing on hard, you can turn it up to that and gain significantly more SP.

Ties

Banned

If you generally dislike grinding then I'd snatch the DLC.

Thanks to Schala and Chris. Had no idea that guy was that high of a level wow.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp

I HATE it.

battle system is the best of all the games I've played in the series (ToS, ToD, ToP, and TotA). CC>TP, you can go all out in any battle with the skills and it eases on the item management. I don't know how you can hate on this battle system, it's the sole reason I'm playing the game. So far I don't care about any of the characters, or the story but the gameplay is badass.

Bladenic

I have Malik's, Cheria's, and Hubert's level 3 mystic artes and I still have yet to see any of them :( granted I haven't played that much today. I hope their's are as awesome as Pascal's level 3. Holy moly does her's rock. Makes up for the lackluster level 1 and simply okay level 2.

The pacing for mystic artes is so strange in this game. Not the overall pacing at which you start getting them, but the individual character pacing. Sophie gets the short end of the stick every single time though haha.

Top Bottom