• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

I think the 8-4 guys have a thing for Lord of The Rings.

IIc4E.jpg
lollllllllllllllllll

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I have Malik's, Cheria's, and Hubert's level 3 mystic artes and I still have yet to see any of them :( granted I haven't played that much today. I hope their's are as awesome as Pascal's level 3. Holy moly does her's rock. Makes up for the lackluster level 1 and simply okay level 2.
If you like Pascal's Lv 3 Blast Caliber, wait until you see her Level 4 one. It's amazing.

Really stupid question. How do you make curry?? I need it for a quest but can only make dry curry which is no good.
Spice Set + Vegetable Set.

Vegetable Set = buy from Turtlez when your stamp card is at Lv 5.
Spice Set = buy from Turtlez when your stamp card is at Lv 6.

zulux21

Vegetable Set = buy from Turtlez when your stamp card is at Lv 5.
Spice Set = buy from Turtlez when your stamp card is at Lv 6.

hmmmmm that would have been good to know before I ran around for an hour with vegetable set and spice set in my mixer hoping they would be made so I could make curry lol.

Yuterald

So I got this today to support further Tales games (namely Xillia) coming to the US. Game's decent so far, but the battle system...

I HATE it.

It's so disjointed and weird, the sidestep thing is lame and isn't precise unless you use the Square button + a direction, I dislike the stupid CC meter, and the fact that all moves are Artes so you basically hit a direction and the attack button for everything (which also seems inaccurate and I've got moves coming out I didn't want).

Say what you want about the Team Symphonia battle systems but I'd take one of theirs any day of the week over this monstrosity. I'm just hoping it gets better or it clicks or...something, because right now battles are the lamest thing in the game by far and I'm basically playing for the story and the characters (both of which I do really like thus far and have for a while, if you notice the Asbel av).

This is CRAZY. The battle system is undeniably the greatest thing about this game. In fact, I think there is TOO much going on with the mechanics. There are layers upon layers upon layers of shit going on with these battles. It's as if the developers blew their loads all over the battle system and were too exhausted afterwards to come up with interesting characters or a decent scenario.

The characters in this game are SOOOOO boring. Someone earlier in this thread said it best when they compared the cast to Star Ocean 4. In fact, I think I prefer Star Ocean 4's cast to a degree because at least it was embarrassingly entertaining. It was such a train wreck that you almost wanted to see the next cut scene. This game is WAY TOO dull. The entire cast in Graces is completely replaceable too. You could take any of these characters and swap them with any other standard issue RPG/Tales game and it wouldn't make a difference. How Grace's scenario/characters appeal to you or ANYONE for that matter is beyond me. Seriously, if you don't mind me putting you on the spot, WHY DO YOU LIKE THESE CHARACTERS? I don't get it. It's so unbelievably stock and interchangeable.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Yeah, I get more tempted to skip the skits because I don't care about the characters or their banters.

If the cast was good there's no way I would be tempted to skip the skits.

Aeana

I'm appreciating the characters and story much more this time through the game. Although the first time, there were points that really resonated with me too.

I like Sophie a lot better in English than Japanese, too.

Bladenic

This is CRAZY. The battle system is undeniably the greatest thing about this game. In fact, I think there is TOO much going on with the mechanics. There are layers upon layers upon layers of shit going on with these battles. It's as if the developers blew their loads all over the battle system and were too exhausted afterwards to come up with interesting characters or a decent scenario.

The characters in this game are SOOOOO boring. Someone earlier in this thread said it best when they compared the cast to Star Ocean 4. In fact, I think I prefer Star Ocean 4's cast to a degree because at least it was embarrassingly entertaining. It was such a train wreck that you almost wanted to see the next cut scene. This game is WAY TOO dull. The entire cast in Graces is completely replaceable too. You could take any of these characters and swap them with any other standard issue RPG/Tales game and it wouldn't make a difference. How Grace's scenario/characters appeal to you or ANYONE for that matter is beyond me. Seriously, if you don't mind me putting you on the spot, WHY DO YOU LIKE THESE CHARACTERS? I don't get it. It's so unbelievably stock and interchangeable.

I know you asked him but I figure I'll chime in lol. I'm actually not a big fan of the cast at all, they are far below Vesperia's IMO. However, I do like Pascal and Malik a lot, and Hubert and Cheria are good too. Ironically I think the leads are the worst off. On the other hand, I think the cast is really good and work very well OUTSIDE of story scenes. Victory quotes, skits, side scenes are really entertaining. But besides Pascal and sometimes Malik, the whole cast is a snooze fest in the story, both in characterization and for some reason the VA delivery. A lot of people described the characters as inoffensive, which I suppose they are, because they are so boring in the story.

That's just my opinion. Overall, I'd say I like the cast, but they are pretty low on the Tales cast rankings.

gahhh this game is so infuriating!

wtf is up with Asbel?

There is a complete lack of urgency in this whole game (so far)!
Richard just effectively killed off the sand country? "What are you doing up there?"

The delivery in VA is like no1 really gives a shit about anything, which is really making it hard for me to get invested =/

I don't seem to mind the cast in this game as much as other people do it seems, sure they are a bit unremarkable at times but they've got their quirks that I really enjoy. I'd probably rank the cast 4th behind Legendia, Vesperia, and Abyss.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
hmmmmm that would have been good to know before I ran around for an hour with vegetable set and spice set in my mixer hoping they would be made so I could make curry lol.

You can make a spice set at Oul Raye and a vegetable set at Sable Izolde.

Well I enjoy ranking things. So since everyones doing it. I'm going to rank the casts out of at least the one's I've played.

Abyss
Graces

Vesperia

Symphonia

Legendia

Bladenic

Abyss? Eh . . .

Preach it. Graces's cast >> Abyss's cast. But I'm sort of an Abyss hater so yeah lol.

And that's another thing about the story, stuff just happens with no immediate sense of urgency or importance. And the entire situation with Richard is ridiculous.
"Oh hey look weird black shit is coming out of Richard, one of his eyes is a different color, his voice is different, he's acting completely crazy and out of character, but is it still Richard? What's wrong with Richard? Why is Richard doing this? Is Richard actually possessed by Lamda? We can still talk to him!!"
I wanted to punch Asbel many a times and then near the end Pascal says
"All this time I thought we were actually facing Richard!
Really? I mean, REALLY? Yeah, any person can just
control invulnerable monsters, siphon energy, shoot black shit from his hands/sword, and form some giant cocoon in the middle of the world.
I was like really Pascal? All of that is very normal behavior.

Bladenic

Richard is their FRIEND. FRIENDS can't be bad.

Yeah there's no way their friend would
try to kill them all about five times, all the while spouting crazy nonsense.
I guess they were thinking
"We made a pact of friendship!!!! Remember?"
Oh damn, I think Asbel actually said that at one point lol.

Jarmel

Banned
I don't seem to mind the cast in this game as much as other people do it seems, sure they are a bit unremarkable at times but they've got their quirks that I really enjoy. I'd probably rank the cast 4th behind Legendia, Vesperia, and Abyss.

I'm mainly curious as to whether the cast is better or worst than Vesperia's. I liked Yuri as a protoganist a lot.

Yeah there's no way their friend would
try to kill them all about five times, all the while spouting crazy nonsense.
I guess they were thinking
"We made a pact of friendship!!!! Remember?"
Oh damn, I think Asbel actually said that at one point lol.

FUCKING ASBEL. It's been a while since I want to strangle away a main character. At least show some pained emotion or something. Why is Sophia expressing more emotion than you???

gahhafdasifhasiofhodh.

Bladenic

I'm mainly curious as to whether the cast is better or worst than Vesperia's. I liked Yuri as a protoganist a lot.

I mean YMMV obviously. But worse IMO.

And the protagonist is way worse than Yuri. Like, don't go in expecting anything like Yuri or you'll probably end up hating Asbel. He does look cool in Yuri's outfit though. Mainly because his outfit kind of sucks.

Is there some surefire way to increase CC mid-combo? It seems to be somewhat random for me unless I'm not fully understanding the rules (which wouldn't be good since I'm 12 hours in).

Jarmel

Banned
I mean YMMV obviously. But worse IMO.

And the protagonist is way worse than Yuri. Like, don't go in expecting anything like Yuri or you'll probably end up hating Asbel. He does look cool in Yuri's outfit though. Mainly because his outfit kind of sucks.

Fuck.

That's definitely what I like least about the characters, their fucking outfits. I mean, I like Inomata's art and the looks of the characters themselves, but god damn those clothes are terrible.

Rebirth and Innocence are pretty much the only ones of hers where everyone managed to get by without some atrocity for an outfit.

Pangya

Just started my new game+ after putting 80ish hours in my first run. I've always had a soft spot for Tales of Symphonia since it was my first tales game, but I must say Tales of Graces is my new favorite tales (also played Abyss, Phantasia, Vesperia).

The other thing that really bothers me is the Inn Requests that require specific qualities on a weapon... so annoying if you don't already have a shard to generate it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

The cast is way worse than Vesperia too me, and nobody comes remotely close to Yuri. I like Pascal a lot though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
FUCKING ASBEL. It's been a while since I want to strangle away a main character. At least show some pained emotion or something. Why is Sophia expressing more emotion than you???

gahhafdasifhasiofhodh.
So his English voice actor doesn't really get better, huh?

As for Sophie, I think I like English Sophie more than JP Sophie.

Aeana said:
Nobody will ever be able to match Troy Baker.
It's just not going to happen.
Crispin Freeman's kinda cool.

Tales-related: I grew up hearing Cam Clarke's voice in almost everything including 1987 TMNT so I'm kinda partial to him too.

I'm honestly perfectly fine with all of the VA in graces, but I really dislike JP voice acting in general so who knows. I really don't like how much they overact and try to put emotion in to every single line that isn't supposed to have that much emotion.

Bladenic

That's definitely what I like least about the characters, their fucking outfits. I mean, I like Inomata's art and the looks of the characters themselves, but god damn those clothes are terrible.

Rebirth and Innocence are pretty much the only ones of hers where everyone managed to get by without some atrocity for an outfit.

I think Asbel, Sophie, and Hubert have horrendous outfits, but Richard, Malik, and Cheria look fine. Pascal's outfit is bad, but it suits her.

And Rebirth was good, even though Mao wore a skirt (or were they short shorts?) and Annie is a 15 year old medic wearing a strange looking tank top/half a shirt. And not just with Rebirth, but why is Inomata so obsessed with breastplates/midriff exposing shirts (on guys nonetheless...)? At least the Rebirth characters had undershirts unlike two certain characters from Destiny 2. But she seems to have gotten over that obsession with Hearts and Graces.

I'm really just finding Asbel to be the weak link in both voice acting and character relvance. But I find the supporting cast makes up for it. None of them are original, deep, or that great. But like I said before their personalities mix and match well with the others, making for a pretty enjoyable cast. Which is really more then I can say for Vesperia. Outside of Yuri and maybe Judith, I wanted the rest of the party to die. They never did and I became bored with the game after Yuri's vigilantism ended. I still think Abyss is the best, because outside of Natalie, the cast is like the Graces cast. They are funny together. And I liked the development of Luke.

zulux21

Overall I liked the Vespera cast better, but it's close for me... granted a large part of that is the vesperia cast includes Karol Capel who I liked about as much as I liked Symphonia's Colette Brunel who, if I had the choice I would have happily let die to (Symphonia plot)
fullfill her duties of the chosen
. In both cases nearly all of my least favorite parts of both of those games involved those two characters. With out Karol Vesperia's cast would hand's down trump Graces's cast though.

Meanwhile Graces doesn't have a character like that which I wish wasn't in the game. The only real stand out for me in Graces is Pascal though, the rest of the Graces cast is rather throw away for me, but I don't have feeling towards them aside from indifference as while Asbel is being stupid... he is no where near as annoying as Luke was in Abyss so it's all good lol.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh man, if Segata were still alive, he would cry.
I mind Clarke a lot less these days, but I'm not much of a fan either.
With that said, when he does his bored voice like with Kratos, it's kinda meh.

Leonardo/Rocksteady, though? Perfectly fine.

burgerdog

Could you get magic cartas from any shiny object in the region? Wondering if it has to be a specific shiny object within the region or not.

Bladenic

Overall I liked the Vespera cast better, but it's close for me... granted a large part of that is the vesperia cast includes Karol Capel who I liked about as much as I liked Symphonia's Colette Brunel who, if I had the choice I would have happily let die to (Symphonia plot)
fullfill her duties of the chosen
. In both cases nearly all of my least favorite parts of both of those games involved those two characters. With out Karol Vesperia's cast would hand's down trump Graces's cast though.

Meanwhile Graces doesn't have a character like that which I wish wasn't in the game. The only real stand out for me in Graces is Pascal though, the rest of the Graces cast is rather throw away for me, but I don't have feeling towards them aside from indifference as while Asbel is being stupid... he is no where near as annoying as Luke was in Abyss so it's all good lol.

I personally don't get the Karol hate. Yes, he's annoying at the beginning. But he develops really well, and is quite the badass by the end (well, battle wise anyway). He's light years ahead of Anise and Genis.

Could you get magic cartas from any shiny object in the region? Wondering if it has to be a specific shiny object within the region or not.

Each field area has 1 carta, and it can be obtained from any shiny point in that area. It does have a random chance though and some can take quite a while to get.

I think i give grandia 2 a free pass on voice acting, just because for some weird reason i just love the game so much. Something about it just clicked when i played it back on dreamcast and i cant help but look back rather fondly on it.

So does Asbel ever becomes a 'character'? So far he does just feel like Code Geass suzaku if he was 2nd rate. Does he ever actually protect anyone?

Now that I think about it... there really hasn't been many tales main characters that I've disliked besides Emil and Innocence guy.

So does Asbel ever becomes a 'character'? So far he does just feel like Code Geass suzaku if he was 2nd rate. Does he ever actually protect anyone?

Now that I think about it... there really hasn't been many tales main characters that I've disliked besides Emil and Innocence guy.

I personally feel like Asbel is worthless. He's a horrible main character. Malik should have been the main character and perhaps the story would have been better if focused on him and his dedication to his hometown.

Malik = Pascal > Cheria = Hubert > Sophie = Richard >>>>>>>Asbel

In terms of how much I liked the characters.

Top Bottom