• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm guessing I wasn't supposed to fight
the "fire dragon" boss at the valkines in Zahvert
at my current level. Man, that battle took almost half an hour.

What do I do with the item I get from it?
You have to fight all three at each Balkines Cryas to get stuff to unlock the 10th floor of the Zone Cage (the EX Dungeon). I ended up doing this at Lv 150 or so since I'd already done Future Arc and got the Lv 4 Blast Calibers

X Passion = Expiation? I approve! Hubert is such a BA. Man, they really did a great job with everything about him for localization.
I won't be able to play the game more until Friday. And I'm only at Grelside (Chapter 3) in the English version. :|

Still looking forward to hearing more come out of Hubert's mouth. I didn't mind his voice in the little I've heard so far.

Healing without using items, I suppose. But basically just sidequests.
And skits! (sometimes)

Pangya

What's the best place to farm food cooking for raising capacity with the Eleth Mixer? I've been using the 2 enemy spawn with a dark bottle just outside of Orlen Woods since there's a Turtlez to refill there for convenience.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Inns are for refilling your eleth pot without having to deal with annoying merchant dialog.
I felt that refilling at Kaminen Merchants/Shopkeepers is an easy method of getting stamps without purchasing anything.

Disgaeamad said:
Almost died there. Oh 教官, no one will ever call you by your real name anymore.
No one ever called him by his real name.

And some people even call him Manlik now. :lol

Sagitario

You have to fight all three at each Balkines Cryas to get stuff to unlock the 10th floor of the Zone Cage (the EX Dungeon). I ended up doing this at Lv 150 or so since I'd already done Future Arc and got the Lv 4 Blast Calibers

You can go back and forth between the normal game and the future arc?
How does the f arc work?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
but deyz annoyingz
I'll endurez the pain to get some stampz for the Quick Strikez Grimoire.

They're extreeeeemez.

What's the best place to farm food cooking for raising capacity with the Eleth Mixer? I've been using the 2 enemy spawn with a dark bottle just outside of Orlen Woods since there's a Turtlez to refill there for convenience.
Are you doing it in early game?

I ended up doing it in postgame on Lhant Hill with Miso Oden/Cheeseburger, the book that lets you use food twice, and the book that doubles energy consumption when you use two food items. It's way easier there.

You can go back and forth between the normal game and the future arc?
How does the f arc work?
You have to finish the Future Arc in order to get your Future Arc progress/Accel Mode/Lv 4 Blast Calibers imported into your main file. If you load up the finished Future Arc save, you'll be placed back at the last save point in the main game, iirc.

Dresden

Started playing on Hard and I think I'm digging the battle system now.

The biggest hump was the movement for me--sidestepping was good, but just getting around the battle area felt awkward. Once I got used to it though, this is fun stuff.

Started playing on Hard and I think I'm digging the battle system now.

The biggest hump was the movement for me--sidestepping was good, but just getting around the battle area felt awkward. Once I got used to it though, this is fun stuff.

For me, once I really figured out how to use Linked Artes it made a world of difference. It's almost like an n CC arte that is as powerful as an n+1 CC arte. No reason at all not to use them as far as I can tell. They just do more damage and have wider areas of effect and hit more stuff.

Neki

honestly, when I play with Asbel, I always feel like his B artes are way better than his A artes, at least for random battles. They have such a large wide radius it's excellent for taking out multiple enemies and keeping them off of Cheria, who they love attacking, lol. I never know when I should be using his A artes, lol.

Aeana

For me, once I really figured out how to use Linked Artes it made a world of difference. It's almost like an n CC arte that is as powerful as an n+1 CC arte. No reason at all not to use them as far as I can tell. They just do more damage and have wider areas of effect and hit more stuff.

"Linked artes"?

honestly, when I play with Asbel, I always feel like his B artes are way better than his A artes, at least for random battles. They have such a large wide radius it's excellent for taking out multiple enemies and keeping them off of Cheria, who they love attacking, lol. I never know when I should be using his A artes, lol.

Same, unless it's a big monster I'm trying to get a high combo on for the Mixer I'm primarily rocking the B Artes.

My progress:
Just heading off to the Research Place to meet Pascal's sister
... been playing on Chaos since it unlocked on normal battles and usually doing bosses on Hard. Still in love with the game.

scy

Considering the weapon itemization, I think that's the point. Most Asbel's weapons are heavily C.Atk favored.

That said, I prefer his A. Artes, though I've been playing as Hubert a lot recently.

"Linked artes"?

I assume it's the "Hold the button after X CC attack for a new one!" like Demon Fist.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Considering the weapon itemization, I think that's the point. Most Asbel's weapons are heavily C.Atk favored.

That said, I prefer his A. Artes, though I've been playing as Hubert a lot recently.
On my first playthrough, I recall liking his B-Artes a lot more than his A-Artes.

On my second and third playthroughs, though? I began to adore his A-Arte moveset.

scy

Oh. I don't know what those are called in the English version, but I assumed it would be altered arte.

I had to put the description because I flat out forgot what they're called in English. I forgot I even had them for the longest time and only just recently started use grinding some of them :/

On my first playthrough, I recall liking his B-Artes a lot more than his A-Artes.

On my second and third playthroughs, though? I began to adore his A-Arte moveset.

Maybe I'm a terrible player but I can combo so much better with the A-Arte set. I think it's just the fact it's more cost effective and I can build better combos (which, in Chaos, saves lives) due to the amount of hits on some of them.

Aeana

It seems weird to me that one would choose A over B. Especially later in the game, I combo from A into B all the time.

Oh. I don't know what those are called in the English version, but I assumed it would be altered arte.

Yea I'm pretty sure they're called Linked Artes in the English version. But yea, as Asbel hold X during a 2CC A-arte -> Demon Fist. Hold X during a 3 CC A-arte -> Icedragon Flurry.

It is Altered Artes.
Umm, I'm quite certain that the game calls them Linked Artes. I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain I saw this on one of the tooltips

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Maybe I'm a terrible player but I can combo so much better with the A-Arte set. I think it's just the fact it's more cost effective and I can build better combos (which, in Chaos, saves lives) due to the amount of hits on some of them.
Nah, that's why I started to prefer his A artes after a while into my second playthrough. I found that I could build way better combos with them and then I switched into a B-arte every now and then.

But with that said, the B-Artes Maou Engekiha and Hadou Meppuu are the top artes out of Asbel's moveset... because they're broken.

(I think Maou Engekiha = Infernal Torrent; not sure what Hadou Meppuu is)

Yea I'm pretty sure they're called Linked Artes in the English version. But yea, as Asbel hold X during a 2CC A-arte -> Demon Fist. Hold X during a 3 CC A-arte -> Icedragon Flurry.

Umm, I'm quite certain that the game calls them Linked Artes. I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain I saw this on one of the tooltips
They called them Altered Artes in the JP version, hence the confusion.

Link Artes appear in Tales of Xillia, adding to the confusion.

scy

It seems weird to me that one would choose A over B. Especially later in the game, I combo from A into B all the time.

When I'm building a combo count, I prefer A-Artes (though, just on Asbel and Hubert); B-Artes is for damage stacking typically or if I have leftover CC but not enough for another full A-Arte chain.

Things may change when I get closer to 20 CC minimum. And when I play Asbel again. I've been letting the AI handle him on B-Only to grind the Artes I haven't been using~ Need them titles, lol

kayos90

I'll check later but I'm almost certain that the title said it was an Altered Arte.

When I'm building a combo count, I prefer A-Artes (though, just on Asbel and Hubert); B-Artes is for damage stacking typically or if I have leftover CC but not enough for another full A-Arte chain.

Things may change when I get closer to 20 CC minimum. And when I play Asbel again. I've been letting the AI handle him on B-Only to grind the Artes I haven't been using~ Need them titles, lol

I wish there was a title guide so I could see exactly how many usages of each skill are required for each title. Normally what I do for my AI people is turn off every single arte except the ones I need the next title for, but often times I'm not sure exactly where the cutoff is for each title.

scy

Nah, that's why I started to prefer his A artes after a while into my second playthrough. I found that I could build way better combos with them and then I switched into a B-arte every now and then.

But with that said, the B-Artes Maou Engekiha and Hadou Meppuu are the top artes out of Asbel's moveset... because they're broken.

(I think Maou Engekiha = Infernal Torrent; not sure what Hadou Meppuu is)

I think that's the only B-Arte I don't have yet :|

I wish there was a title guide so I could see exactly how many usages of each skill are required for each title. Normally what I do for my AI people is turn off every single arte except the ones I need the next title for, but often times I'm not sure exactly where the cutoff is for each title.

I kind of wish I wrote them down while I was grinding them :/

Off-hand, I think Asbel's A-Arte Masters are 2-CC: 400, 3-CC: 350, and 4-CC: 300. I only have one B-Arte Mastered and it was 800 :/

kayos90

I believe it's 1000 for everything. I could be wrong.

Rpgmonkey

The Accel Mode system is really cool.

I thought everyone was going to have the same ability but it turns out they all have an individual special attack. Adds another cool element to an already really detailed combat system.

I think I'm a lot better comboing with Asbel's A-Arte set; more variety that way too

I like his A-Artes more too.

I've found the combos to be more interesting and larger without needing a buinch of CC to do it. Some of his B-Artes are a little overpowered but making actual combos with them is awkward at times as Asbel does a weird animation that's hard to transition from or the enemy gets knocked beyond your reach unless they're up against a wall or something, so I pretty much only use B Artes for crowd-control or exploiting some weakness.

I think that's the only B-Arte I don't have yet :|

I kind of wish I wrote them down while I was grinding them :/

Off-hand, I think Asbel's A-Arte Masters are 2-CC: 400, 3-CC: 350, and 4-CC: 300. I only have one B-Arte Mastered and it was 800 :/

Are there usage count titles for the Mystic Artes too? That's going to be horribly annoying if so. One of them in particular for Asbel, Lunar something, I can't even figure out how to activate. It just says hold L1 during combo in the middle of an Eleth Burst, but every time I do that it activates Stampede Strike.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Pretty sure the numbers are on the JP wiki if you're interested. Just click the Titles section for each character.

kayos90

Infernal Torrent, your go-to ownage Arte for Asbel.

R-Thunderbolt, your go-to ownage Arte for Hubert. Yay!

Neki

The Accel Mode system is really cool.

I thought everyone was going to have the same ability but it turns out they all have an individual special attack. Adds another cool element to an already really detailed combat system.

I like his A-Artes more too.

I've found the combos to be more interesting and larger without needing a buinch of CC to do it. Some of his B-Artes are a little overpowered but making actual combos with them is awkward at times as Asbel does a weird animation that's hard to transition from or the enemy gets knocked beyond your reach unless they're up against a wall or something, so I pretty much only use B Artes for crowd-control or exploiting some weakness.

but random battles are all about crowd control. :O

Aeana

Well, there are other reasons to switch between them. When you unsheathe your sword, you enter iron stance which can be really beneficial, and when you sheathe your sword again, you get healed based on how many B attacks you used. The synergy between every single aspect of the game is one of the reasons why I love it so much.

Sagitario

ToS2 is DotNW. :p

Oh... I see what you mean.
My point still stands, though :p

I would have loved ToS so much more if skits were voiced because ToS2 spoiled me in that regard when I played it first.

I consider the skits in DotNW the best and the funniest of the series (I am only talking about the western releases, of course), so I agree.

You have to finish the Future Arc in order to get your Future Arc progress/Accel Mode/Lv 4 Blast Calibers imported into your main file. If you load up the finished Future Arc save, you'll be placed back at the last save point in the main game, iirc.

scy

Well, there are other reasons to switch between them. When you unsheathe your sword, you enter iron stance which can be really beneficial, and when you sheathe your sword again, you get healed based on how many B attacks you used. The synergy between every single aspect of the game is one of the reasons why I love it so much.

Yeah, so much of the game just works together and flows nicely. It's amazing.

And don't get me wrong, I use B-Artes a lot. I just prefer A-Artes :x

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You can just solo the final boss with the damage multipliers using only Infernal Torrent and Hadou Meppuu if you really wanted to. That's how awesome (broken) both artes are.

scy said:
And don't get me wrong, I use B-Artes a lot. I just prefer A-Artes :x
I feel the same way.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
what's that move in the english version?

Also I prefer b-artes, no idea why.
That's a good question. :lol

*checks* Seems like it's called Incineration Wave in the English version.

Anyway, it's really powerful since it obliterates nearly any enemy you use it against, and it's much cheaper/easier to use than his Blast Caliber.

kayos90

Anyway, it's really powerful since it obliterates nearly any enemy you use it against, and it's much cheaper/easier to use than his Blast Caliber.

Apparently it's Incineration Wave.

scy

Off-hand, happen to know when you can get it? Assuming it isn't story related, anyway. I'm Mastering all the B-Artes for Asbel currently and that and the last 4CC A-Arte (-> + X, I believe) are the only two attacks I'm missing for him :/

I am now anxious to learn this move asap.

Top Bottom