• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

Bladenic

I personally feel like Asbel is worthless. He's a horrible main character. Malik should have been the main character and perhaps the story would have been better if focused on him and his dedication to his hometown.

Malik = Pascal > Cheria = Hubert > Sophie = Richard >>>>>>>Asbel

In terms of how much I liked the characters.

Pretty much this, except Asbel = Sophie >>> Richard for me. Though I've yet to beat the main game and do f arc so maybe it will change in regards to those three. But right now, Richard is hardly even a character IMO.

Pretty much this, except Asbel = Sophie >>> Richard for me. Though I've yet to beat the main game and do f arc so maybe it will change in regards to those three. But right now, Richard is hardly even a character IMO.

Ah well, I certainly liked Richard more in F than I did in the main game. In the main game Richard is a terrible "character".

I think pascal was one of the characters in graces I would put at my least favorite for the cast. She felt rather heavyhanded with her personality and there were points i just wished she would either act like a normal person or get less screen time.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Regarding the cast, this is one of the rare Tales casts where I don't really despise anyone, so that's good enough for me. Indifferent? Probably. Despise? No.

This same trend carried on into Xillia, but I'll admit that Jude sometimes tested my patience (clingy), but he's a good guy overall.

Could you get magic cartas from any shiny object in the region? Wondering if it has to be a specific shiny object within the region or not.
Yeah. It's just completely random, that's all. Sometimes it'll take you a while or a few trips to get the carta.

I guess that's what it means to be a "Ge-o-hound."
So bad. :lol

Crispin Freeman is probably my favourite, I guess.

Bladenic

I think pascal was one of the characters in graces I would put at my least favorite for the cast. She felt rather heavyhanded with her personality and there were points i just wished she would either act like a normal person or get less screen time.

Really? I actually don't find her to come off that strongly at all. She's zany yes, but she otherwise knows her stuff and knows when it's time to act more serious (though still in her own way).

I'm surprised more people don't mention the fact that Pascal is basically a glorified plot device. Her reason for joining the party is superfluous, she never get another reason for staying with the party besides just to save the world I guess, and she practically knows everything about anything. Basically, the developers pretty much included her as a scapegoat to divulge information the party doesn't know or for convenient solutions to any known problem in the world the party might face. Since I love Pascal, I have no problem with this.

I was surprised he appeared on the top floor of Riot Tower... And voiced too.

Very poorly.

why does the vesperia costume for Asbel give me the worst possible battle theme. There was 3 of them and they pick the one I don't even remember. :(

Pretty sure that's the
Alexei battle theme
which is a good theme but it got tiring hearing every battle.

Neki

why does the vesperia costume for Asbel give me the worst possible battle theme. There was 3 of them and they pick the one I don't even remember. :(

Really? I actually don't find her to come off that strongly at all. She's zany yes, but she otherwise knows her stuff and knows when it's time to act more serious (though still in her own way).

I'm surprised more people don't mention the fact that Pascal is basically a glorified plot device. Her reason for joining the party is superfluous, she never get another reason for staying with the party besides just to save the world I guess, and she practically knows everything about anything. Basically, the developers pretty much included her as a scapegoat to divulge information the party doesn't know or for convenient solutions to any known problem in the world the party might face. Since I love Pascal, I have no problem with this.

Very poorly.

I dunno, the only times she actually got serious enough that i didn't find it a little offputting were towards the end of the game and didn't last all that long. It's not really even a super strong dislike i have for her, just thought she was the weakest written character which led to me caring for her less then the others.

Very poorly.

What's funniest about this is that the group would have never stood a chance without Pascal. The same cannot be said for Malik/Cheria/Hubert and in some ways Sophie/Asbel. In terms of plot progression Pascal was a living deus ex machina who was pretty much the only reason they succeeded in doing anything.

It was really weird, lol.

zulux21

I personally don't get the Karol hate. Yes, he's annoying at the beginning. But he develops really well, and is quite the badass by the end (well, battle wise anyway). He's light years ahead of Anise and Genis.

Disclaimer: -The following statements are obviously my opinion, because of harsh views against some characters I am writing this to assure you that if you disagree with my opinion that is fine, I just figured I would explain why I had hate in a bit more detail. I am adding this merely because I still don't have a complete grasp on how the community is here and saying such things on some other forums could potentially be seen as fighting words/ cause problems. I think GAF is better than that and understands I am just voicing my views, but I would rather play it safe than cause trouble. -

I found him annoying to start with, didn't like any of his sub plots, didn't enjoy using him in battle and in general didn't feel like he added anything to the main story. His existence just added a few hours of pointless filler that I didn't enjoy doing in general. He had a few moments but nothing I consider worth even having him exist in the game and I feel that the game in general would have been better of had he not existed, though only a little as despite not liking him at all he didn't really ruin the experience for me. I still quite enjoyed Vesperia. That being said... I would take him any day over Colette.

As for Genis I am not a huge fan of him either, but I found Colette to be so much worse that he became a moot point, plus my wife helped me like him by screaming "Genis needs TP, Genis needs TP" in the middle of battle lol

For Anise, I actually didn't mind her. She had moments I really didn't like but she also had moments I really enjoyed. In general I would say it balanced out and I mostly nothing her.

As I have drifted somewhat off topic I will come back and ask an on topic question. Have people in here been doing the Trails of Graces at all, and if so does anyone here have a top 10 score?

Bladenic

What's funniest about this is that the group would have never stood a chance without Pascal. The same cannot be said for Malik/Cheria/Hubert and in some ways Sophie. AND ESPECIALLY ASBEL WHO WAS COMPLETELY USELESS. In terms of plot progression Pascal was a living deus ex machina who was pretty much the only reason they succeeded in doing anything.

It was really weird, lol.

Fixed. Hope you don't mind haha.

And agreed. Pascal is pretty much God in this game.

Disclaimer: -The following statements are obviously my opinion, because of harsh views against some characters I am writing this to assure you that if you disagree with my opinion that is fine, I just figured I would explain why I had hate in a bit more detail. I am adding this merely because I still don't have a complete grasp on how the community is here and saying such things on some other forums could potentially be seen as fighting words/ cause problems. I think GAF is better than that and understands I am just voicing my views, but I would rather play it safe than cause trouble. -

I found him annoying to start with, didn't like any of his sub plots, didn't enjoy using him in battle and in general didn't feel like he added anything to the main story. His existence just added a few hours of pointless filler that I didn't enjoy doing in general. He had a few moments but nothing I consider worth even having him exist in the game and I feel that the game in general would have been better of had he not existed, though only a little as despite not liking him at all he didn't really ruin the experience for me. I still quite enjoyed Vesperia. That being said... I would take him any day over Colette.

As for Genis I am not a huge fan of him either, but I found Colette to be so much worse that he became a moot point, plus my wife helped me like him by screaming "Genis needs TP, Genis needs TP" in the middle of battle lol

For Anise, I actually didn't mind her. She had moments I really didn't like but she also had moments I really enjoyed. In general I would say it balanced out and I mostly nothing her.

Haha no disclaimer necessary. It's your opinion, I don't mind lol.

Your views are completely valid. I agree with Karol being pretty annoying at first, both in battle and story, but I actually liked his progression and he becomes pretty monstrous in battle.

And I hope you don't mind me seeing that I detest Anise (though I'm not a fan of the Abyss cast overall to begin with) and I think Genis is the worst party member in Symphonia (I like Colette).

Very poorly.

Pretty sure that's the
Alexei battle theme
which is a good theme but it got tiring hearing every battle.

oh... so Pascal really never has any backstory or anything? My initial reaction was that she was probably the final boss or something >.>"

Didn't this and the wii version score well in japan? wtf are they seeing that I'm missing here?

Combat is fun... but that's pretty much 2 hours out of my 15hours or so playthrough so far o_O.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
How do I get the Vesperia costumes btw?

Neki

I don't remember the battle music at all, except for maybe the very first battle theme

I would have preferred the 3rd battle theme, that one was the best. :( The battle music is really disappointing, should have pre-ordered so I could at least see what the Destiny battle theme was.

fuck I need fury sparks in my blood right now. If that DLC ever comes out, instantly bought and Hubert never leaves my party. The main boss battle theme for Cheria is also decent, but I really don't like Asbel's or Sophie's.

Bladenic

oh... so Pascal really never has any backstory or anything? My initial reaction was that she was probably the final boss or something >.>"

Didn't this and the wii version score well in japan? wtf are they seeing that I'm missing here?

Combat is fun... but that's pretty much 2 hours out of my 15hours or so playthrough so far o_O.

Sorry, I should have probably spoiler tagged though I didn't really spoil any main events.

And I really enjoy the game, but it's definitely due to the battle system and skits/quotes/etc. and not the story. And don't worry about that. I feel like the story sort of takes second fiddle later in the game lol. As in there are far fewer cutscenes and they are more spread out and shorter in length generally.

Negator

I would have preferred the 3rd battle theme, that one was the best. :( The battle music is really disappointing, should have pre-ordered so I could at least see what the Destiny battle theme was.

fuck I need fury sparks in my blood right now. If that DLC ever comes out, instantly bought and Hubert never leaves my party. The main boss battle theme for Cheria is also decent, but I really don't like Asbel's or Sophie's.

I wanted Furnace of War, but eh. Rita's costume looks really good on Cheria, so it's win/win

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I also disliked Karol at first but grew to like him by the end. I liked/loved everyone else in Vesperia, especially Yuri and Rita.

GODDAMN did I hate Collete in Symphonia. I was so damn glad she spent a portion of the game being unable to speak.

zulux21

And I really enjoy the game, but it's definitely due to the battle system and skits/quotes/etc. and not the story. And don't worry about that. I feel like the story sort of takes second fiddle later in the game lol. As in there are far fewer cutscenes and they are more spread out and shorter in length generally.

I haven't finished the game yet but I can agree with your statement about the game. The battle system is a nice change of pace from normal, and the skits/quotes are great, most of them have me and my wife laughing out loud (the ones that are supposed to be funny at least) Meanwhile the story is passable, not really going to blow anyone way but at the same time not so terrible that the game falls apart.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Very poorly.
Aw. That's a shame.

We're all probably used to hearing Adult Link's voice coming out of his mouth, that's why.

I can't comment on Vesperia since I'm not sure how the localization for some characters went. Sometimes localizations can improve characters or make them less likeable. I've heard that the localization for Vesperia went well, so that's cool. Karol's Japanese voice didn't really help matters, since I didn't really like it much.

Colette sucks. I think a lot of people dislike her. Genis, I'm indifferent towards since my bf started mimicking his "don't bother me don't bother me don't bother me" a lot during multiplayer.

Anise sucks. Actually, I dislike most of Abyss's cast. Asshole Luke, Tear and Jade are the only ones I like. The character interactions in that game tick me off sometimes. Mieu can get thrown off a cliff for all I care.

How do I get the Vesperia costumes btw?
Play Carta Card with the guy who has a smiley face floating above him in Sable Izole.

Neki

I wanted Furnace of War, but eh. Rita's costume looks really good on Cheria, so it's win/win

Bleh, I want the Rita costume but I'll never find enough cards. Fury Sparks is all I need, but I don't know I'll be able to actually get it.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
I also disliked Karol at first but grew to like him by the end. I liked/loved everyone else in Vesperia, especially Yuri and Rita.

GODDAMN did I hate Collete in Symphonia. I was so damn glad she spent a portion of the game being unable to speak.

Yuri and Rita were the best, Judith was pretty cool too. And Raven! Man, thinking about it, it was really that much better. The Vesperia group had better alchemy.

In Graces, it's pretty bad, they are all annoying, except Pascal. Fuck, Karol is better than 3/4 of the cast.

Also i hate the whole omg friends. Also the love relationships are so ridiculously bad. Worse than the worst of animes.

Bladenic

Aw. That's a shame.

We're all probably used to hearing Adult Link's voice coming out of his mouth, that's why.

Maybe that's it. But his VA doesn't sound fitting at all to me. I guess because I did expect the low, somber tone he had in the JP version, but even then, his English VA makes him sound old to me for some reason. Like some gruff middle aged man. I don't know, but I don't like it at all.

I can't comment on Vesperia since I'm not sure how the localization for some characters went. Sometimes localizations can improve characters or make them less likeable. I've heard that the localization for Vesperia went well, so that's cool. Karol's Japanese voice didn't really help matters, since I didn't really like it much.

Colette sucks. I think a lot of people dislike her. Genis, I'm indifferent towards since my bf started mimicking his "don't bother me don't bother me don't bother me" a lot during multiplayer.

Anise sucks. Actually, I dislike most of Abyss's cast. Asshole Luke, Tear and Jade are the only ones I like. The character interactions in that game tick me off sometimes. Mieu can get thrown off a cliff for all I care.

We see completely eye to eye on Abyss's cast. Except I like Guy and as strange as it is, dislike Jade.

Yuri and Rita were the best, Judith was pretty cool too. And Raven! Man, thinking about it, it was really that much better. The Vesperia group had better alchemy.

In Graces, it's pretty bad, they are all annoying, except Pascal. Fuck, Karol is better than 3/4 of the cast.

Also i hate the whole omg friends. Also the love relationships are so ridiculously bad. Worse than the worst of animes.

I LOVED Raven. Second fav character besides Yuri. So much fun to play as too. I loved the whole damn cast. I really liked Estelle even, and Repede was super cool (and oddly cute at times haha).

Negator

Bleh, I want the Rita costume but I'll never find enough cards. Fury Sparks is all I need, but I don't know I'll be able to actually get it.

Don't worry, you'll find enough cards in due time. If anything you can farm for them.

I totally cheesed the hard mode and took a picture with my phone

Gravijah

73~ hours later (84 if i am to believe the activity log) and i'm done with my first playthrough of tota. now i can start this... finally.

Neki

Also the love relationships are so ridiculously bad. Worse than the worst of animes.

The only Tales game where I've actually seen people actually kiss (or the illusion of it) is in ToS2. Is there any tales games where the protagonist and his love interest actually do more than awkwardly create sexual tension and hug? Maybe games are not ready for some real ROMANCE IN THEIR LIVES.

So I went to the shop owner in the 2nd desert town (the one with the scholar tower thing) and the shopkeeper offered to sell me an item for 100,000 Gald. Not wanting to part with my money, I declined, then saved my game, but he isn't offering the item anymore. :(

zulux21

And I hope you don't mind me seeing that I detest Anise (though I'm not a fan of the Abyss cast overall to begin with) and I think Genis is the worst party member in Symphonia (I like Colette).

Not at all, one of my favorite phrases to mutter on other forums is "to each their own" though I can understand how someone could detest Anise, she just somehow didn't even up rubbing me the wrong way even though I expected her to when I first met her.

As for Colette, honestly I don't hate her role in the story or her personality (don't love it either), I just hate her interactions with the rest of the party. Overall I enjoy Lloyd, but god his interactions with Colette are borderline painful at times lol.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
So I went to the shop owner in the 2nd desert town (the one with the scholar tower thing) and the shopkeeper offered to sell me an item for 100,000 Gald. Not wanting to part with my money, I declined, then saved my game, but he isn't offering the item anymore. :(

You actually check the counter behind him for the 100,000 Gald item instead of talking to him.

zulux21

You have 100k Gald... I am like level 35 or so and I don't think I have topped over 20k yet... darn dualizing sucking up all of my money. I am hoping later in the game there is a good place to get money other wise I am going to be broke forever.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Maybe that's it. But his VA doesn't sound fitting at all to me. I guess because I did expect the low, somber tone he had in the JP version, but even then, his English VA makes him sound old to me for some reason. Like some gruff middle aged man. I don't know, but I don't like it at all.
I was curious so I checked a YouTube video.

Oh, uh, wow.

I definitely agree with everything you said about it. It's weird. Naw, it doesn't really fit, imo. Can't imagine that timbre associated with any of these.

We see completely eye to eye on Abyss's cast. Except I like Guy and as strange as it is, dislike Jade.
I don't mind Guy, though he falls into indifference for me despite looking out for the protagonist a lot.
It's a bit of a shame that he doesn't really grow until much later on in the game, and seemed to serve as comic relief or the 'bro' of the party.
But with that said, I mained him in Abyss.

Negator said:
I totally cheesed the hard mode and took a picture with my phone
Why was I not this smart when I did it in the JP version! :/

Gravijah said:
73~ hours later (84 if i am to believe the activity log) and i'm done with my first playthrough of tota. now i can start this... finally.
I'll PM you tomorrow and ask you how TotA went! :D

About the voice acting... The one thing I really disliked is that you could totally tell who's evil or will become evil by their voice.

Specifically
that woman who you meet on the other planet and the President of the desert country (who you can clearly tell never turns evil)
You actually check the counter behind him for the 100,000 Gald item instead of talking to him.

Oh... Huh.
Thanks. :p

Rpgmonkey

That's pretty much why I've lost interest in the "smart" character in Tales games. It's boring when the party conviently has some unparalleled genius engineer hanging out with them because they basically have nothing better to do, and they manage to solve any big problem by themselves if you give them a night or two to think.

I take Pascal for what she is, and she's really good at that, but Jade was the last character of this type where I liked both their character and their role/involvement in the plot.

The only Tales game where I've actually seen people actually kiss (or the illusion of it) is in ToS2. Is there any tales games where the protagonist and his love interest actually do more than awkwardly create sexual tension and hug? Maybe games are not ready for some real ROMANCE IN THEIR LIVES.

I can't remember anything like kissing off the top of my head, but Hearts is pretty blatant about the relationship between Shing and Kohak (Amber). Unlike most Tales games, you could pretty say they're a couple a good while before the game ends.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I forgot that game existed...I just looked up some videos and WOW at the voices. What on earth happened to poor Zelos?

Vesperia handled it best with there only being two romance subplots:

- Karol and Nan
- Occasional sexual tension between Judith and Yuri

That's it

You have 100k Gald... I am like level 35 or so and I don't think I have topped over 20k yet... darn dualizing sucking up all of my money. I am hoping later in the game there is a good place to get money other wise I am going to be broke forever.

I had money problems, too. However, somewhere around the end of exploring the snow country, my income started increasing a lot because the harder enemies drop more money, and before I knew it, I had 100K Gald.

I later found a spell book which increases Gald earned in battle, and now have about 200K Gald. If I only knew of the book beforehand...

Negator

I had money problems, too. However, somewhere around the end of exploring the snow country, my income started increasing a lot because the harder enemies drop more money, and before I knew it, I had 100K Gald.

I later found a spell book which increases Gald earned in battle, and now have about 200K Gald. If I only knew of the book beforehand...

I found that book post game. I was SO PISSED when I found it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It's too bad they didn't keep the accessory glitch in the English version otherwise you guys would've been rolling in cash.

I had, like, 3 million gald or something by the time I got to Yu Liberte when I used the exploit on my second playthrough.

Bladenic

That's pretty much why I've lost interest in the "smart" character in Tales games. It's boring when the party conviently has some unparalleled genius engineer hanging out with them because they basically have nothing better to do, and they manage to solve any big problem by themselves if you give them a night or two to think.

I take Pascal for what she is, and she's really good at that, but Jade was the last character of this type where I liked both their character and their role/involvement in the plot.

See the reason why I like Pascal and didn't like Jade was mainly because while Jade did know how to solve shit and what would happen, he ALWAYS held that to himself until it was already too late. I know I'm like the only non-Jade fan on the planet but I couldn't stand it when he was like "I don't think I should share right now trololol oops now it's too late."

Vesperia handled it best with there only being two romance subplots:

- Karol and Nan
- Occasional sexual tension between Judith and Yuri

That's it

Um, Estelle + Yuri? Granted theirs was very low key and some think it was only a close friend/bro + sis relationship I'd like to think it was romantic. Mainly because I liked the pairing due to the different backgrounds which the game could have explored but never did. Oh well.

Also since some people mentioned victory quotes earlier, my favorite that almost always manages to make me laugh a bit is something to like this:

Hubert: "That would have been perfect if you hadn't botched the finish."
Pascal: "Aww flattery will get you nowhere."
Hubert: "You insufferable woman!"

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Huh, that's weird. I made the final item for the Inn Request at Yu Liberte (Voltekka+1, Dazzling) but it won't accept it.

Dresden

Um, Estelle + Yuri? Granted theirs was very low key and some think it was only a close friend/bro + sis relationship I'd like to think it was romantic. Mainly because I liked the pairing due to the different backgrounds which the game could have explored but never did. Oh well.

Nah, Estelle and Yuri were like, sisbros.

Yuri and Judith clearly wanted to fuck.

Estelle gets paired off with Rita.

I used to make double cheeseburgers and sell them for close to 2000 Gald each. The cost of materials (minced meat from Turtlez, onion from the 1st desert town/port, bread from Barona, and cheese from the 2nd desert town) was cheap.

However, I soon realized that the price for dualizing a double cheeseburger was really expensive, more than 1/2 the price of the regular cheeseburger. (Yes, the cost of putting a hamburger in a cheeseburger is expensive.) It'd just be more worth it for me to fight enemies for Gald...

Bladenic

Nah, Estelle and Yuri were like, sisbros.

Yuri and Judith clearly wanted to fuck.

Estelle gets paired off with Rita.

I wonder if the developers realized how LesYay they made Rita with Estelle. Or rather, I wonder if that was their intention? Though close friends in Japanese media, especially anime stuff, is almost always homoerotic so I shouldn't be surprised.

And Raven gets paired with Karol dude, get it right. Poor Repede has to settle for Patty.

So I'm further into the game now, and while the battle system still sucks in my opinion compared to a Team Symphonia game, at least it isn't detrimental to my fun. I actually love the characters thus far (except that douchebag Hubert), and I'm enjoying the game. And I like Asbel, he hasn't done anything to bug me whatsoever thus far, he didn't whine or cry even though
he had a pretty shitty couple of days at the beginning of the game, with everything basically going wrong for him for no reason other than "the universe wants to screw you over".

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I wonder if the developers realized how LesYay they made Rita with Estelle. Or rather, I wonder if that was their intention? Though close friends in Japanese media, especially anime stuff, is almost always homoerotic so I shouldn't be surprised.
I'm sure they didn't intend for it. They just sucked at writing a female friends subplot. There is a chance though that they played it up more in the PS3 version as a form of fanservice to shippers

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Huh, that's weird. I made the final item for the Inn Request at Yu Liberte (Voltekka+1, Dazzling) but it won't accept it.
That's pretty weird. Tempered or no?

You did it as (I know the JP names aren't the same, but...):
Rare Blade + Fukisusabu crystal = Volcan Tekka (stimulating)
Volcan Tekka (Stimulating) + Fragment (Gentlemanly OR Stimulating OR Breakthrough) = Volcan Tekka (Dazzling)?

I recall it wanting 'gorgeous', but that must be what 'dazzling' is in the English version.

You'll get used to it. The switch from TP to CC is a little big, but you're probably going to end up liking it more than TP after a while. It gets even better and feels more flexible when you get more CC. Give it time to grow.

And that's kinda how you're supposed to use Around-Step. Again, you'll get used to it and appreciate it a little after you move through the game a little more. If you're on higher difficulties, Around-Step is basically your friend if you want to restore CC, get extra CC, etc.

And you hit directions and X/O to execute artes in every other Tales game.. >.>

Around-Step sucks because they tell you "Oh you can just quickly hit a direction and the character will do it", but then they don't. You have to use the Square+direction button.

Hey!!!! I had dibs on the avatar first!!!! : ) yeah yeah slight differences lol!!!

Uh no, I've had this av for like a year plus, well before they put character avs on the OT/hype thread where you claimed yours (I even made a comment saying I had the Asbel av before it was cool lol). :p

Top Bottom