• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

kewlmyc

The only Tales game where I've actually seen people actually kiss (or the illusion of it) is in ToS2. Is there any tales games where the protagonist and his love interest actually do more than awkwardly create sexual tension and hug? Maybe games are not ready for some real ROMANCE IN THEIR LIVES.

Asbel and Cheria accidentally kiss in a play if you collect all the princess books and give it to the guy at the poor village behind the stage.

Infernal Torrent, your go-to ownage Arte for Asbel.

R-Thunderbolt, your go-to ownage Arte for Hubert. Yay!

Infernal Torrent is pretty godly. I recently unlocked Diabolic Rage and that's pretty good too. The juggle mechanics on it are godly.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Off-hand, happen to know when you can get it? Assuming it isn't story related, anyway. I'm Mastering all the B-Artes for Asbel currently and that and the last 4CC A-Arte (-> + X, I believe) are the only two attacks I'm missing for him :/
Some titles you can get it from:
Heroic Swordsman (get this title at lv 80)
High Fencer (title 42, Use Burst artes 15000 times)
Genma Shoureppa Master (Er... Diabolic Rage or something?) (title 142; use Diabolic Rage 720 times)

Apparently it's Incineration Wave.
So instead of hearing "HADOU... MEPPUU...!" over and over, I'll hear INCINERATION WAVE over and over? That's okay.

Aeana

I like watching people flip out about how arte names have been unfaithfully translated or somehow mangled.
It's such total nonsense in Japanese in the first place.

Rpgmonkey

Off-hand, happen to know when you can get it? Assuming it isn't story related, anyway. I'm Mastering all the B-Artes for Asbel currently and that and the last 4CC A-Arte (-> + X, I believe) are the only two attacks I'm missing for him :/

You get Void Sword (last A-Arte) from:
-Combo Master (finish a battle five times with 50+ hits with Asbel)
-Prolific Fighter (Use A-Artes a total of 12,000 times)
-Arms Dealer* (sell a piece of equipment worth 50,000 Gald)

Incineration Wave is from:
-Prolific Fencer (use B-Artes a total of 10,000 times)
-Diabolic Rage Master (Use Diabolic Rage 720 times)
-Level 80 title

*= Don't know the English name

I like watching people flip out about how arte names have been unfaithfully translated or somehow mangled.

I was looking in a JP Wiki to find the above info and it really made it apparent how these names are basically all gibberish, English or Japanese, haha.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The problem is that I don't know what they are in English, it's hard to decide how to write some stuff up. :x

Besides... "FLASHING SEAL ATTACK" sounds stupid. Incineration Wave sounds way better, but given that I don't really like English Asbel's voice, well...

Aeana

The problem is that I don't know what they are in English, it's hard to decide how to write some stuff up. :x

I wasn't talking about you. I was looking up some stuff earlier and I found some posts from people whining about it.
My favorite one was "I hate how in some games, they call majinken demon fang, and sometimes they call it demon fist OMG" not realizing that these two abilities use different kanji in Japanese.

scy

Hah, well thanks on that. Think I'm pretty close to some of them (sans the Level 80 one) though ... I could've sworn I had that Combo title already. Maybe I'm mistaken (or I haven't manually used Asbel since getting it?).

I wasn't talking about you. I was looking up some stuff earlier and I found some posts from people whining about it.
My favorite one was "I hate how in some games, they call majinken demon fang, and sometimes they call it demon fist OMG" not realizing that these two abilities use different kanji in Japanese.

I have to strain to hear Asbel say "Demon Fist" instead of "Demon Fang." In fact, I'm not entirely sure that he does say Demon Fist.

Edit: I do realize this is completely unrelated, just something that was bugging me when I was grinding Demon Fist use count~

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Japanophiles tend to be stupid. They mix a misunderstanding of foreign culture with the classic "they changed it and now it sucks" mentality.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
(Sorry, my mistake! )

I've seen that one before. It's really silly.

I've heard people complain about Asbel's Bestial Roar and Sophie's Beast, and wondering why they don't have the same name. Despite both of them having different names in Japanese, and both of them having different execution anyway.

Did they use a different voice actor for Pascal in certain scenes? Just earlier I was in
Telos Astue
and I got a scene when she slept at the Inn where she was dreaming of
Fourier
and afterwards her voice sounded... off. In a really bad kind of way.

JoeFu

Banned
So is there anyone even attempting an English guide/wiki thing to get all titles and moves? I seem to be missing a few like the diabolic rage and those others you guys kindly pointed out how to get.

barrin87

Hah, well thanks on that. Think I'm pretty close to some of them (sans the Level 80 one) though ... I could've sworn I had that Combo title already. Maybe I'm mistaken (or I haven't manually used Asbel since getting it?).

I have to strain to hear Asbel say "Demon Fist" instead of "Demon Fang." In fact, I'm not entirely sure that he does say Demon Fist.

Edit: I do realize this is completely unrelated, just something that was bugging me when I was grinding Demon Fist use count~

Wait, I thought Asbel does say Demon Fang?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
JoeFu said:
So is there anyone even attempting an English guide/wiki thing to get all titles and moves? I seem to be missing a few like the diabolic rage and those others you guys kindly pointed out how to get.

You can get Diabolic Rage from:
Extreme Swordsman (Lv 100 title)
Skill Master (use CC4 artes 1500 times) (I think it might be called Arte ____ (the third title after Arte Apprentice, Arte Authority, etc) in the English version)
Combo Kaiser (title 49; use 100+ hit combos 3 times)

I wouldn't be surprised if the English Tales wiki had some of the titles translations for Graces since it first came out on Wii. At least for Asbel, probably. I'm not sure.

I am surprised, though, that no one's attempted an English guide for it yet. I would do one but I just don't have the time to spare.

RPGCrazied

Think I'm nearing the end of the F arc. I'm in the Lastila Shaft. I got some cool weapons for Richard, Cheria and Hubert. Does Asbel have something down here? He still is sporting the Radiant Howl.

Aeana

Guide writing is hard work. My half-completed DQ5r PS2 guide sits on GameFAQs and I was just never able to finish it. I've not tried to do one for anything else since. :|

vall03

No, it IS the grade shop upgrade. Having both is the same as having 1.

So basically. Buy the DLC, then use your grade shop points on something else.

I see thanks, I have a couple of dlc that I want to buy and that is exactly what I want to do. I really miss "Blah blah blah, Tidal Wave" :(

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Think I'm nearing the end of the F arc. I'm in the Lastila Shaft. I got some cool weapons for Richard, Cheria and Hubert. Does Asbel have something down here? He still is sporting the Radiant Howl.
For his, you have to destroy all the crystals and get the weapon at 7F in that dungeon. His weapon was called Fact Phantasia or something.

Aeana said:
Guide writing is hard work. My half-completed DQ5r PS2 guide sits on GameFAQs and I was just never able to finish it. I've not tried to do one for anything else since. :|
It really is. I don't think I'd ever have the time to write one up and post it, and I'd probably want to be as thorough and aesthetically-pleasing as possible, meaning it'll take more time. :/

I see thanks, I have a couple of dlc that I want to buy and that is exactly what I want to do. I really miss "Blah blah blah, Tidal Wave" :(

It took me a while to figure out how to use the dlc. Once you download and install it, go into your items menu then go all the way to the right and you have to "use" the items in the list.

For his, you have to destroy all the crystals and get the weapon at 7F in that dungeon. His weapon was called Fact Phantasia or something.

It really is. I don't think I'd ever have the time to write one up and post it, and I'd probably want to be as thorough and aesthetically-pleasing as possible, meaning it'll take more time. :/

I really wish us non-Japanese could just embrace the damn wiki format. I mean when you look at the JP wiki for ToGF, it's so unequivocably superior to the guide format that it's embarrassing. It saddens me that we never get these kinds of amazing wikis for US released games.

Aeana

I really wish us non-Japanese could just embrace the damn wiki format. I mean when you look at the JP wiki for ToGF, it's so unequivocably superior to the guide format that it's embarrassing. It saddens me that we never get these kinds of amazing wikis for US released games.

English dudes would never put that much work into something without getting credit.

So I like long (60+ hours), open, challenging RPGs with lots of replay value and secrets/unlockables. Would I enjoy Tales of Graces? I've never played a Tales game before.

Demon/Dark Souls wikis have been pretty useful, as have the ones for Bethesda games.

It's getting there, slowly but surely.

RPGCrazied

Thanks! :) I'm at the bottom from descending about 6 times, I guess there is more to that dungeon. I'm in a grassy area now.

Duki

Banned
is this better than tales of symphonia

that was the only tales game i enjoyed and it was still kind of embarrassing to listen to and read dialogue and voice acting wise

the artstyle in this one is even worse than symphonia too :(

is it worth playing for me

Aeana

40 is fine. Is there replay value? Any new game+ feature?

Yes, when you beat the game, you can start again with stuff carried over from your last game by spending the grade points you earned in your initial play. Various things you do in the game earn you grade points, and then you spend them in a "grade shop" at the beginning of your next playthrough. You can get stuff like 2x EXP gain, etc. and you can choose to carry over stuff you got on your first play as well.

40 is fine. Is there replay value? Any new game+ feature?

New Game+ gives you a "shop" at which you can purchase various character upgrades. The amount of currency you have to spend in the shop is based on certain accomplishments you made in the game (what % of enemies in the game did you encounter, what % of items did you collect, etc).

There is easily 100 hours if you just want to get the platinum trophy, and if you actually want to fully max out your characters' power it could take up to 200.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
is this better than tales of symphonia

that was the only tales game i enjoyed and it was still kind of embarrassing to listen to and read dialogue and voice acting wise

the artstyle in this one is even worse than symphonia too :(

is it worth playing for me

the battle system and overall gameplay is good enough to overlook the cutesy art style and the cheesy storyline.

Since I got the game at Amazon's discount I figured I could throw some in some extra for useless DLC goodies like costumes or accessories but I can't in good faith support what they're doing with it. The nickel and diming is just too extreme for my liking.

Aeana

Since I got the game at Amazon's discount I figured I could throw some in some extra for useless DLC goodies like costumes or accessories but I can't in good faith support what they're doing with it. The nickel and diming is just too extreme for my liking.

Just get the Malik swimsuit costume.
That's all you need.

Well it's not like they're going to make enough money by box sales alone. Past history has shown that. Do you have any better ideas for how they can support localizing tales games in the future? Personally I bought every single DLC, including the ones that I might not even activate.

Well it's not like they're going to make enough money by box sales alone. Past history has shown that. Do you have any better ideas for how they can support localizing tales games in the future? Personally I bought every single DLC, including the ones that I might not even activate.
$3.99 per costume is beyond ridiculous though, espeically considering how many there will be.

I'd be much more comfortable with $4.99/$5.99 packs, like a formal pack, school outfit pack, etc. I'd be willing to bet they might sell a LOT more following a pattern like that. I can't imagine anybody seeing $3.99 for one in-game title/costume as being anything other than robbery.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
$3.99 per costume is beyond ridiculous though, espeically considering how many there will be.

I'd be much more comfortable with $4.99/$5.99 packs, like a formal pack, school outfit pack, etc. I'd be willing to bet they might sell a LOT more following a pattern like that. I can't imagine anybody seeing $3.99 for one in-game title/costume as being anything other than robbery.
People paid $5 per costume and $1.20 for accessories on the JP store, so I suppose Namco figured the same idea would fly over here too (though it's a little cheaper here, I guess).

JoeFu

Banned
You can get Diabolic Rage from:
Extreme Swordsman (Lv 100 title)
Skill Master (use CC4 artes 1500 times) (I think it might be called Arte ____ (the third title after Arte Apprentice, Arte Authority, etc) in the English version)
Combo Kaiser (title 49; use 100+ hit combos 3 times)

I wouldn't be surprised if the English Tales wiki had some of the titles translations for Graces since it first came out on Wii. At least for Asbel, probably. I'm not sure.

I am surprised, though, that no one's attempted an English guide for it yet. I would do one but I just don't have the time to spare.

Thanks for telling me how to get it!

Really enjoying the combat in this game. I like how there isn't TP, and the blocking/dodge to get CC is pretty fun. Finally towards the endgame I think as I can fast travel now.

Phenomic

So quick question if anyone doesn't mind...

Is there anything missable that is of vital importance potentially before I enter the "F" Arc? That I cannot do afterwards.
I'm talking like important sidequest items (inn requests), turn-ins, cards, titles, books, etc.

Top Bottom