• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

zroid

Banned
Aaaaaaa I just started this game and the combat system is so strange! About an hour in, I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what's happening =_=

Reading the OP makes me think it sounds interesting, but I suppose it'll take some time to get the hang of it.

For some reason I was expecting the game to feel very similar to Symphonia (the last Tales game I played), but it seems I was sorely mistaken.

scy

Finished Chapter 6 last night. All like one hour of it. Such a bizarrely short chapter if not for some Soul Orb grinding.

Mastering Artes (really, just spells) is such a chore though. Who thought it was a good idea for Resurrection to need _200_ uses? Oh well. The things I do for Titles...

Aaaaaaa I just started this game and the combat system is so strange! About an hour in, I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what's happening =_=

Reading the OP makes me think it sounds interesting, but I suppose it'll take some time to get the hang of it.

For some reason I was expecting the game to feel very similar to Symphonia (the last Tales game I played), but it seems I was sorely mistaken.

I like Sophie for the Childhood Arc as she has a more developed A-Arte tree, has a B-Arte (though, just the one), and actually plays like that later; Asbel and Hubert have different childhood fighting styles and some weird trees (multiple directions yielding the same attack, for instance).

But, it will come over time if you just try to learn the system. Takes some more CC to really get into it though since you're rather limited at lower values.

RPGCrazied

So, what kind of item would I need to unlock floor #9 of the Zhonecage? Over 70 hours of play, I don't seem to have anything? Even my best equipped weapon on Asbel isn't enough. Its like a +6 from dualizing. The sword from the F arc dungeon.

My party level is around 85.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So, what kind of item would I need to unlock floor #9 of the Zhonecage? Over 70 hours of play, I don't seem to have anything? Even my best equipped weapon on Asbel isn't enough. Its like a +6 from dualizing. The sword from the F arc dungeon.

My party level is around 85.
Ah. When you reach level 10, you might want to consider switching to Easy mode because of the boss down there. >.>

I had issues with that boss even when I was over level 150.

I'd dualize a Rare weapon and give it a proper quality or offer a cameo weapon (these are weapons with qualities that are names of previous Tales characters) to access Floor 9. There are a few qualities that decrease the item's value but because I don't know the names of all of the qualities in English, I'm not sure what to say here (but the weapon is supposed to be worth 102400 gald). Stuff like Plain, Unsatisfactory, Nothing, Inconspicuous, etc are bad qualities which will cut your item's value in half.

On Floor 10, I dualized a Dream Flange with the Dangerous nature and offered it. Also, make sure you destroy all three valkines cryas dragons.

scy

Easygoing, Tolerable, Diffident, Impartial, Competent, etc. are the half-value Qualities, if I recall; the +all stats equally ones. Barbed, Wicked, Magical, Gallant, etc. are the low-tier easy ones for double to triple value with near 100% inheritance.

They're all listed in the qualities so it's not too hard to figure out, I imagine. Just write down the notable qualities per tier range and get to dualizing.

Maybe it's different in Zhonecage but I've got some good practice in the main game of making equipment for resale purposes :x

bubnbob

Banned
Does anyone know if the skit from Future Arc where Hubert goes apeshit over how horrible Marriage is, is on youtube? I don't know the name of course, but I know it took place in Yu Liberte.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Dammit! The duplication glitch was too good :( ... WHY DID THEY FIX IT? D:

About the bold text:
I figured as much... I am constantly running out of CC to perform longer or better combos (but thankfully CC refills quickly when blocking, side-stepping, etc.), so I guessed that it would be like previous Tales games: usually you get to a point in the game where you get the right character's skill/attribute, better artes and enough TP to actually perform well (or decently enough) in battles.

So, it's a matter of a few things:
1) waiting for other party members
2) get more artes
3) get a bigger CC bar
4) and most importantly, get familiar with the A-artes tree and each branch strengths

Thank you so much for the explanation. I will keep it mind and re-read it when I play tomorrow (well, if I get the chance to play tomorrow :p)

Also, I am surprised by your memory: remembering all the artes names, positions, properties.
Once again, thank you. Your help is greatly appreciated :)
No prob, and the only reason I remember that stuff is because I played through the game a few times before. It isn't really a huge deal, but thanks anyway. :)

It's a lot like other Tales games for sure. The characters generally grow into the various systems through skills and TP/CC management so it's kind of nice. Once you get enough skills to do decent 4-arte chain combos, the battle system really begins to click and become more fun than before.

The nicest thing is that a lot of the characters have nice skillsets and are generally fun to use. Like, there are usually some characters in Tales games I don't really like to use like Regal in Symphonia, Natalia in Abyss, Chaz in SFC ToP, etc.

scy said:
Easygoing, Tolerable, Diffident, Impartial, Competent, etc. are the half-value Qualities, if I recall; the +all stats equally ones. Barbed, Wicked, Magical, Gallant, etc. are the low-tier easy ones for double to triple value with near 100% inheritance.

They're all listed in the qualities so it's not too hard to figure out, I imagine. Just write down the notable qualities per tier range and get to dualizing.

Maybe it's different in Zhonecage but I've got some good practice in the main game of making equipment for resale purposes :x
Thanks. Those are different from the original names for sure. Don't synthesize anything with these if you want to sell your weapons or go through the Zone Cage. (I just grinded in the Uncharted Desert for a while and got my gald, lol.)

And like I said way back in the thread, it's good that you're getting used to dualizing with regards to weapon/item value because you are going to need the practice for Inn Requests/Zone Cage.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Er... Any tips how to increase the eleth pot faster? I'm at 2,250 at 78 hrs. :|

RPGCrazied

Ah. When you reach level 10, you might want to consider switching to Easy mode because of the boss down there. >.>

I had issues with that boss even when I was over level 150.

I'd dualize a Rare weapon and give it a proper quality or offer a cameo weapon to access Floor 9. There are a few qualities that decrease the item's value but because I don't know the names of all of the qualities in English, I'm not sure what to say here (but the weapon is supposed to be worth 102400 gald). Stuff like Plain, Unsatisfactory, Nothing, Inconspicuous, etc are bad qualities which will cut your item's value in half.

On Floor 10, I dualized a Dream Flange with the Dangerous nature and offered it. Also, make sure you destroy all three valkines cryas dragons.

The last couple of floors I have been doing Easy, I was having a hard time with the GiantEl, it would like 2 shot people, lol, and he is fast. Hardest fight so far down here.

cameo weapon? I've only fought the one at the top of the warrior roost. I didn't get anything. Unless they are somewhere else.

burgerdog

So I need to do the hankerchief quest, but none of the ports are allowing me to reach Barona. I just completed the snowshroud ruins. Can someone spoil after what story event am I allowed to freely explore the world again?

scy

Thanks. Those are different from the original names for sure. Don't synthesize anything with these if you want to sell your weapons or go through the Zone Cage. (I just grinded in the Uncharted Desert for a while and got my gald, lol.)

I just found out that the Gald book is one of the first books I should've gotten. I felt pretty dumb about it. Especially since I checked the location after being unable to go get it due to the story. :(

And like I said way back in the thread, it's good that you're getting used to dualizing with regards to weapon/item value because you are going to need the practice for Inn Requests/Zone Cage.

There's some nuances I still don't get like how to get two effects onto equipment. Half my group is outfitted with equipment with two effects and the other half aren't and I'm still not entirely sure how I did it :|

Er... Any tips how to increase the eleth pot faster? I'm at 2,250 at 78 hrs. :|

Book of Potential + Two easy food items in the Mixer. Crab Fried Rice is fairly easy (In-battle: >10 seconds) and then Rice Omelette (Post-battle: >50% Mixer Energy) | Chicken Curry (Post-battle: <50% Mixer Energy) or something easy like Daishi Stew (Post-battle: <20 seconds).

Book of Satiation, I think it is, lets you add a second In-battle food item if you want the extra bonus from that. Book of Restraint also helps in getting more mileage out of your Energy (1/2 cost, 1/4th healing).

Book Locations:
Potential: During the story (
Warrior's Roost "Boss" Fight
)
Satiation: During the story (
Parasite Boss in the Rockgagong
)
Restraint: Sable Izole (Password Chest)

jorgeton

Hrm, discovered this game has free DLC over the weekend.

A free 1000 gald, bonus costumes for the childhood arc, and some eleth mixer materials. Not that useful for where I am right now, but if anyone is just starting the game, you should go and grab those goodies.

So I need to do the hankerchief quest, but none of the ports are allowing me to reach Barona. I just completed the snowshroud ruins. Can someone spoil after what story event am I allowed to freely explore the world again?

Not for awhile, eventually you'll get the space ship before the final dungeon and can do the handkerchief sidequest then

There's some nuances I still don't get like how to get two effects onto equipment. Half my group is outfitted with equipment with two effects and the other half aren't and I'm still not entirely sure how I did it :|
Did the equipment start with an effect on it?

Because I have some people with 2 effects also, and I think that's how that happened

scy

Did the equipment start with an effect on it?

Because I have some people with 2 effects also, and I think that's how that happened

No, I know how those work and is part of the reason why those upgrades are so nice; free base effect means you can get a second one on easily! It's on most my Rare equipment which do not come with an effect. Which I've since taken advantage of and have Rise/Exceed on a lot of.

My best guess is just dualizing together two like quality items with the same bonus will leave one. I've yet to try it out, though.

What's the highest rank that a gem can go? Currently I have one M-ranked gem but it costs 360k to get it polished, so I won't be doing that any time soon. But that suggests that it goes at least to N. Does it go higher?

Second, what happens if you get one of those effects that gives +damage against certain types of enemies? Let's say XBEAST. And then you put 2 of those on the same gem. Like an XBEAST-XBEAST gem. Suppose each of the effects is a 50% bonus. Is the result a 100% bonus?

Lastly, for pure income is the best method to dualize for profit, or just to kill enemies for profit?

Sagitario

Is the pre-order code from GameSpot a PSN code? I thought there was an in-game store :p

Sorry for the silly question, but I am not used to this DLC bussines.

Also, any way to make some quick money? Any tips on dualizing?

Bladenic

Where do you get those?

Future arc dungeons. I've already acquired Richard's, Malik's, Asbel's, and Cheria's. I got those so far from the new dungeon in future arc and the revisit to glacier ruins. Their names are references to Tales games, like Richard's is named Symphonian Scepter, Malik's is Tempest Bringer, Asbel's is Radiant Howl, and Cheria's is Scars of Eternia. Their descriptions are also references to the games. Pretty cool, except they don't seem that great. Cheria's is especially sucky to me.

Bladenic

It's funny how Namco disowned Tempest but ever since they've went out of their way to include Tempest references in like every game lol. This one included.

bubnbob

Banned
Future arc dungeons. I've already acquired Richard's, Malik's, Asbel's, and Cheria's. I got those so far from the new dungeon in future arc and the revisit to glacier ruins. Their names are references to Tales games, like Richard's is named Symphonian Scepter, Malik's is Tempest Bringer, Asbel's is Radiant Howl, and Cheria's is Scars of Eternia. Their descriptions are also references to the games. Pretty cool, except they don't seem that great. Cheria's is especially sucky to me.

Pascal's is something like "Mythology Scepter" (Radiant Mythology?)

And Asbel's Phact Phantasia was the best sword for me.

Bladenic

Alright, how in God's name do I do Malik's fourth MA? I activate his Accel but he just goes into his kicking frenzy, I can't control him, and the accel is over before I can activate the MA. Tried like four times, so annoying.

Edit: Never mind finally got it somehow lol. Was crazy! Anyone know the full name or how to view it?

bubnbob

Banned
Is that Malik Beam or yaddayaddayadda (I dunno the name it's the one with the line of text)?

I just let the AI do their own thing, lol.

Pangya

Shard farming for Inn Requests is such a pain. Does anyone know what quality combines with Magical to make Fabulous? Apparently it is a quality in a shard I don't have... is there a shard quality drop location guide somewhere?

Amir0x

Banned
why do the jRPGs with the best battle systems have to be saddled with the worst storylines? This has to be one of the most insufferable Tales storylines yet, and that is saying something.

At this point I want the option to straight neck snap Sophie and Cherrie and probably also everyone else too to be safe. Actually, especially the main character Asbel. What a goddamn dumbass

scy

why do the jRPGs with the best battle systems have to be saddled with the worst storylines?

Trying to include both causes a temporal rift and something something etc. etc.

Actually, I can't think of the last jRPG with a widely praised combat system AND story. Maybe I'm just blanking on the obvious answer though.

jorgeton

Shard farming for Inn Requests is such a pain. Does anyone know what quality combines with Magical to make Fabulous? Apparently it is a quality in a shard I don't have... is there a shard quality drop location guide somewhere?

Not sure what specific quality, but I had a post-battle hint box pop-up telling me that word length factors into quality. So combining two items with seven-letter word descriptions may create an item with an eight-letter word description.

I love how the game tells me this 35 hours in. Would've been nice if the tip popped up sooner.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Trying to include both causes a temporal rift and something something etc. etc.

Actually, I can't think of the last jRPG with a widely praised combat system AND story. Maybe I'm just blanking on the obvious answer though.

inb4obligatoryxenobladepost. Just saying. It's going to happen.

Labadal

Poor Hubert, lol. That skit before the last battle in the childhood arc got me laughing.

The skit with Ice Cream Stand was also funny, because it was so unexpected.

Combat is getting more fun now that I have a better grasp of things. I'm finally able to do some combos, wich I had a hard time doing at first. I doubt I'll spend less than 60 hours on this. Then there's an obligatory second playthrough.

RPGCrazied

Final boss of the main game on Evil is a bitch. I can get the first part okay, but the second part, specially when he does his burst caliber, it pretty much kills everyone but 1 person. Then he cleans up, lol I guess level 85 isn't enough.

Mr.Fresh

Ok this is pissing me off. I'm playing on normal and never had a problem with any boss at all then I get to the
Final Boss
and die within the first minute. I'm on level 65. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I have
Excalibur
and all the Vestments equipped.

RPGCrazied

Ok this is pissing me off. I'm playing on normal and never had a problem with any boss at all then I get to the
Final Boss
and die within the first minute. I'm on level 65. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I have
Excalibur
and all the Vestments equipped.

Are you dualizing?

Mr.Fresh

The final boss is a serious pain in the ass, i managed to beat it on evil at level 70 but i BARELY pulled it out since it goes batshit crazy when its low hp ;l

Damn. I feel stupid now. I just ran through the boss with no problem. I forgot I had a book equipped that halves all my stats and doubles SP gain.. I feel Soooooo dumb.

zroid

Banned
Well, I'm definitely starting to get the hang of this game -- and now that I am, it's getting pretty fun!

Been so long since I've played a really good JRPG and now I've got two fantastic ones within a month of each other.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I have a fear to use those shards for dualizing. Can anyone educate me how to use those wisely because I don't like to waste the shards and weapons?
I haven't dualizing anything.I am doing all the side-quests before entering the final dungeon.

Second question, What are characters' ultimate weapons since I saw it mentioned.

What is the second JRPG coming out?

Xenoblade, I presumed.

scy

I have a fear to use those shards for dualizing. Can anyone educate me how to use those wisely because I don't like to waste the shards and weapons?
I haven't dualizing anything.I am doing all the side-quests before entering the final dungeon.

I wouldn't fret too much about them. Basically, all shards have two (well, three) components:

1) A Quality type; Cool, Cute, Keen, Hard, Buff, Barbed, Wicked, etc.
2) A Shard type; Attack, Mind, Defense, Resist, Aim, Evade, Rise, Exceed, etc.
3) A value; [1], [2], [3], etc.

When you dualize a shard with a piece of equipment, you'll get two immediate bonuses:

1) A permanent stat boost dependent on the Quality type.
2) A temporary bonus effect dependent on the Shard type and value.

After fighting some battles, the equipment will become tempered (the name turns yellow) and you'll get an extra effect of +Damage% Dealt (Weapons) or -Damage% Taken (Armor). This, like the bonus effect, is temporary.

Now, if you dualize together two tempered pieces of equipment, you'll extract the bonus effect from them and create a Gem with both their effects. The bonus effects from the equipment involved will be lost (as will the tempering bonus, though the Gem doesn't get this bonus) but the stat boosts remain. Now, you return to step 1 and repeat the process.

I'd just try it out to get a hang of it. Take an item you want to dualize and check what your shard qualities give you; the game shows you them when you select them so you won't be doing it blind. There's also a list in the Library > User's Guide > Qualities menu. It's a lot easier than it sounds since it's basically just:

1) Dualize shard onto equipment.
2) Fight some battles to temper equipment.
3) Dualize two tempered pieces of equipment.
4) Repeat.

There's a few other factors since the shards will also adjust the resale value of the equipment but that's something for later.

Edit: I'll try to write down what I was doing the next time I dualize something from start to finish, I guess. I basically just aim for the stats I want boosted (say, C.Atk on Cheria) and always try to dualize Qualities that get me those bonuses. The effect does not matter here. I just keep repeating this to get the bonus stats until I feel like stopping (say, +10 or +15 or whatever). I'll then dualize a specific shard, typically Rise (+Min CC since Cheria has a high max anyway) since I want the effect now, not just the stat boost.

Top Bottom