• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

vall03

1) Dualize shard onto equipment.
2) Fight some battles to temper equipment.
3) Dualize two tempered pieces of equipment.
4) Repeat.

Ive been doing this every time but I didn't know there were negative Quality types, fuck, will I be screwed somehow? I have +4/+5 equipments and I never really focused on the quality...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The last couple of floors I have been doing Easy, I was having a hard time with the GiantEl, it would like 2 shot people, lol, and he is fast. Hardest fight so far down here.

cameo weapon? I've only fought the one at the top of the warrior roost. I didn't get anything. Unless they are somewhere else.
What I mean by "cameo weapon", I mean by weapons that have natures that are the names of certain previous Tales characters. You buy them through stamps, and they're generally the Level 10 reward.

But it's way better to buy a Rare weapon from stamps, dualize it with a good nature, and then hand it over. Dualization is your friend.

scy

Ive been doing this every time but I didn't know there were negative Quality types, fuck, will I be screwed somehow? I have +4/+5 equipments and I never really focused on the quality...

I don't think there's any negative Qualities, actually. Some that adjust the resale value badly, sure, but I don't think there's any actual minus stat ones. I'm not actually through the entire game so I could be wrong.

Incidentally, for those curious as to how the Quality names work, they're in tiers by the number of letters in the quality. These then determine your result:

Two 4-letter Qualities => 5-letter Quality
Two 5-letter Qualities => 6-letter Quality

And so-on. I'm not sure if this charts out perfectly (that is, Oily + Keen always yields X) but I'll look into it when I get to playing/dualizing again. There's some other small things (certain combinations of Quality/Shard type will boost the Shard's value) but, again, playtesting gets you everywhere :x

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't think there's any negative Qualities, actually. Some that adjust the resale value badly, sure, but I don't think there's any actual minus stat ones. I'm not actually through the entire game so I could be wrong.

Incidentally, for those curious as to how the Quality names work, they're in tiers by the number of letters in the quality. These then determine your result:

Two 4-letter Qualities => 5-letter Quality
Two 5-letter Qualities => 6-letter Quality

And so-on. I'm not sure if this charts out perfectly (that is, Oily + Keen always yields X) but I'll look into it when I get to playing/dualizing again. There's some other small things (certain combinations of Quality/Shard type will boost the Shard's value) but, again, playtesting gets you everywhere :x
That's how it worked in the JP version, yeah. I came across a google doc during my lunch break that maps out the qualities in the English version. I'd link the JP wiki, but the quality names are entirely different.

scy

That's how it worked in the JP version, yeah. I came across a google doc during my lunch break that maps out the qualities in the English version. I'd like the JP wiki, but the quality names are entirely different.

I was going to put Oily + Keen = Suave but something in me kept thinking "Wait, was it Rigid?" so I just went with "X." Should've trusted my gut!

Also, damn, this chart saves me a ton of time. I'll double check a few of them when I get the chance but nice find!

ShadiWulf

Beat the main game yesterday, gotta, say, this is going to be one of my most favorite games ever, i really liked the ending, and the credits just made me feel all the better, awesome music.. and awesome art.

I can definitely see how it leaves you wanting more though, so that's why I've started that Lineage option or whatever it's called. Is that what is considered the "future" arc?

Okay I have to ask at this point: is there a concrete way to determine how many stocks you will have when an Eleth Burst happens? Sometimes (read: most times) it's 1 and I'll just try to combo like crazy to fill it to 2 or 3 before one of my party members decides to use their Mystic Arte/BC. Occasionally I'll get 2 or 3 at the start of the burst but have absolutely no idea what I did differently to trigger the additional stocks.

All of the rest of Team Destiny's quirks I've learned to live with (still like TP better than CC) but the Eleth Burst system is flat out stupid, it reminds me in a bad way of Trance Mode in Final Fantasy IX.

bubnbob

Banned
Beat the main game yesterday, gotta, say, this is going to be one of my most favorite games ever, i really liked the ending, and the credits just made me feel all the better, awesome music.. and awesome art.

I can definitely see how it leaves you wanting more though, so that's why I've started that Lineage option or whatever it's called. Is that what is considered the "future" arc?

Yes. And the future arc story and ending take a giant steamer on the entirety of the main arc.

Do you mean that in a good or bad way? now im worried XP

Good way, from what most people say. Bunches of folks say Future Arc is much better.

Beat the Main Arc last night and I'm doing that evil bonus dungeon before going on to Future (since they're retards and you can't do any post-game stuff if you start Future...), I liked the Main Arc ending honestly. I still prefer Abyss/Vesperia style battle systems by a lot though, that stupid CC (derp you run out and you can't attack PERIOD) and the random Trance Mode-like uncontrollable Eleth Bursts are lame.

scy

Chapter 7 60 second boss
Lambda
may be the easiest boss in the game so far :|

Okay I have to ask at this point: is there a concrete way to determine how many stocks you will have when an Eleth Burst happens? Sometimes (read: most times) it's 1 and I'll just try to combo like crazy to fill it to 2 or 3 before one of my party members decides to use their Mystic Arte/BC. Occasionally I'll get 2 or 3 at the start of the burst but have absolutely no idea what I did differently to trigger the additional stocks.

All of the rest of Team Destiny's quirks I've learned to live with (still like TP better than CC) but the Eleth Burst system is flat out stupid, it reminds me in a bad way of Trance Mode in Final Fantasy IX.

Pretty sure it's just stock from before (or perhaps combo hit count?). I just disabled the MAs of the other characters so they don't get used up. Though, I've gotten to just popping MAs outside of Eleth Burst anyway.

(derp you run out and you can't attack PERIOD) and the random Trance Mode-like uncontrollable Eleth Bursts are lame.

Uncontrollable on the Bursts kind of sucks, I suppose, but I haven't actually had one in a boss fight in so long that I'm not sure it's that big of a deal. Just trigger MAs through combo count.

But ... running out of CC isn't that big of a deal. It takes next to no time to refill (especially with Reinforce) and the short time to charge back to Iron Stance off Guard isn't exactly a bad thing.

bubnbob

Banned
Good way, from what most people say. Bunches of folks say Future Arc is much better.

Beat the Main Arc last night and I'm doing that evil bonus dungeon before going on to Future (since they're retards and you can't do any post-game stuff if you start Future...), I liked the Main Arc ending honestly. I still prefer Abyss/Vesperia style battle systems by a lot though, that stupid CC (derp you run out and you can't attack PERIOD) and the random Trance Mode-like uncontrollable Eleth Bursts are lame.

You can do bonus dungeon after Future, it just places you back at the final save again with all your Future gear.

You can do bonus dungeon after Future, it just places you back at the final save again with all your Future gear.

Huh, I was told otherwise. Thanks for letting me know that, I guess I'll give Future a shot then.

But ... running out of CC isn't that big of a deal. It takes next to no time to refill (especially with Reinforce) and the short time to charge back to Iron Stance off Guard isn't exactly a bad thing.

The fact that if it runs out you're basically stuck waiting for it to fill up to do anything that's gonna actually do damage sucks to me. It's like 5 seconds or so of downtime on my characters to go back to full, if I go in early I don't have access to my good moves or a decent string of attacks.

Uncontrollable on the Bursts kind of sucks, I suppose, but I haven't actually had one in a boss fight in so long that I'm not sure it's that big of a deal. Just trigger MAs through combo count.

Brings me to another issue I had, certain characters (read: everyone that isn't Asbel and Sophie) get their easy mode Title that allows Lv. 1 Mystic Arte through a 25-hit combo just by getting enough skills. Asbel and Sophie get completely fucked over and have to do two rather annoying side-quests to get theirs.

What the hell. :/

Varion

Huh, I was told otherwise. Thanks for letting me know that, I guess I'll give Future a shot then.
I think it's the phrasing confusing people. Basically when you start the future arc you can't use that same save file to go back to the main story until you've finished the future arc. If you made a save before starting it then you could go back to that, but once you've started the future arc then you need to finish it to keep any progress you've made to use in the main story. So yeah, when you clear the future arc it puts you back to the final save point of the main story.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Anyone know of a good list of all the discoveries in the game?
I used a Japanese Wiki for those; there are 85 in total (including the Future Arc discoveries). Discoveries are generally kind of obvious, but if you miss them the first time around, the only thing you'll miss is the associated skit (and you'll get titles for Sophie for viewing lots of skits).

I haven't found an English list for the discoveries yet, but you can try to use the Japanese wikis to navigate around.
http://wiki.mmo-station.com/msData/list/ps3togf/5294
http://www23.atwiki.jp/talesofgracesf/pages/73.html

Do you mean that in a good or bad way? now im worried XP
Future Arc has somewhat better writing than the Adolescence arc, and the ending is better than the vanilla ending, imo.

Also, Shadi, was that Sonic 4 podcast with Ken Balough posted? I haven't been keeping up.

Chapter 7 60 second boss
Lambda
may be the easiest boss in the game so far :|
That boss is a complete and utter joke. The other bosses are a little harder, and apparently they're harder than the Wii version counterparts.

scy

The fact that if it runs out you're basically stuck waiting for it to fill up to do anything that's gonna actually do damage sucks to me. It's like 5 seconds or so of downtime on my characters to go back to full, if I go in early I don't have access to my good moves or a decent string of attacks.

At 15-20 CC for most every character, it's hard to run out. Proper combos stagger enemies which leads to a single 1CC hit restoring ~10 CC and proper evading restores around 3. I don't really need to "sit here and do nothing" all that often unless I royally messed up a combo or if it's a boss that pulled the whole "and suddenly, no combo!" maneuver on me.

Running out of CC is pretty rare for me and I vastly prefer always having CC for every fight to "better save my TP!" But, to each their own, I suppose? Xillia, if we get that, is a TP system with the "regen" aspect of CC so probably the best of both worlds for us then.

Brings me to another issue I had, certain characters (read: everyone that isn't Asbel and Sophie) get their easy mode Title that allows Lv. 1 Mystic Arte through a 25-hit combo just by getting enough skills. Asbel and Sophie get completely fucked over and have to do two rather annoying side-quests to get theirs.

What the hell. :/

My experience is definitely beyond the average, I think I have all of them for everyone; hell, I got my Level 3 Mystic Artes for everyone this way long before any of the Level 2 Mystic Artes.

That boss is a complete and utter joke. The other bosses are a little harder, and apparently they're harder than the Wii version counterparts.

Most the 60s bosses have been rough (except Chapter 5's
Kurt
) so I wasn't sure what to expect. Soared through first shot 50 some second kill :| Would've been faster but it Eleth Bursted on me :(

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yus, it was posted up long ago, here is a link

http://segabits.com/blog/2012/03/12/sonic-talk-4-episode-2/

also I'm glad to hear the future arc is good, looking forward to playing through it
Thank you. I'd been looking forward to it, got busy and kinda forgot about it until I saw you post in here. :D

Future Arc gets pretty awesome when you get Accel Mode and Lv 4 Blast Calibers, imo.

scy said:
Running out of CC is pretty rare for me and I vastly prefer always having CC for every fight to "better save my TP!" But, to each their own, I suppose? Xillia, if we get that, is a TP system with the "regen" aspect of CC so probably the best of both worlds for us then.
TP regeneration seems faster in Xillia (seriously, Jude punches 3-4 times and recovers a ton of it), but at the beginning, you might feel a little limited by it, even with an AC counter on-hand.

Pangya

Finally got a platinum on the game! Took me 105 hours and 2 playthroughs, but it was very enjoyable (except those Inn Requests... ugh). I never bothered going for all the achievements in Vesperia, but the battle system keep me going.

That's how it worked in the JP version, yeah. I came across a google doc during my lunch break that maps out the qualities in the English version. I'd link the JP wiki, but the quality names are entirely different.

Do yo happen to have EN <-> JP quality translations? That would be HUGE if so because the JP wiki lists what area to actually find each quality in

Good fucking god, I just got done with the ass beating of a lifetime. I was fighting
Kurt
and just getting wrecked. I couldn't combo, stun, or sustain any real damage. All the while this boss was dealing massive damage and kept respawning these annoying goons. I spent 10 minutes trying to win the fight, exhausting all of my items and every tactic I had. I eventually had to lower the difficulty after a few attempts. It was awful. After I won (lowered the difficulty to Normal), I only got 150 SP out of it lol. I felt like I deserved it for having to lower the difficulty, though

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Finally got a platinum on the game! Took me 105 hours and 2 playthroughs, but it was very enjoyable (except those Inn Requests... ugh). I never bothered going for all the achievements in Vesperia, but the battle system keep me going.
Congrats! :D

My first JP playthrough plat took about 110+ hours on one playthrough and I felt quite relieved when I finished it off. Two playthroughs are recommended if you don't want to tear your hair out, honestly.

I never bothered getting the plat for Vesperia PS3 at all. Xillia's plat is much easier than Graces' and Vesperia's by comparison because it's all grinding stuff.

Do yo happen to have EN <-> JP quality translations? That would be HUGE if so because the JP wiki lists what area to actually find each quality in
I'll try to come up with some based on both graphs. There is a quality list on the Japanese Wiki which corresponds to the Google Doc if you think it might be more helpful, though.

Edit: Here.

There are six ranks of qualities, so I'll organize them that way.

Rank 1
&#12377;&#12427;&#12393;&#12356; -> Keen
&#12363;&#12383;&#12356; -> Hard
&#12363;&#12387;&#12371;&#12356;&#12356; -> Cool
&#12358;&#12388;&#12367;&#12375;&#12356; -> Cute
&#12374;&#12425;&#12374;&#12425; -> Rapt
&#12388;&#12427;&#12388;&#12427; -> Oily
&#12372;&#12388;&#12356; -> Buff
&#12373;&#12431;&#12420;&#12363; -> Cold

Rank 2
&#35946;&#24555; -> Grand
&#20778;&#38597; -> Noble
&#19978;&#21697; -> Suave
&#21476;&#39080; -> Olden
&#28201;&#21402; -> Sunny
&#38929;&#22266; -> Rigid

Rank 3
&#31117;&#12293;&#12375;&#12356; -> Wicked
&#21050;&#12293;&#12375;&#12356; -> Barbed
&#23506;&#12293;&#12375;&#12356; -> Frosty
&#26257;&#33510;&#12375;&#12356; -> Stuffy
&#22533;&#33510;&#12375;&#12356; -> Formal
&#37325;&#12293;&#12375;&#12356; -> Solemn

Rank 4
&#37326;&#24615;&#30340; -> Untamed
&#32051;&#22763;&#30340; -> Gallant
&#23041;&#22311;&#30340; -> Haughty
&#21050;&#28608;&#30340; -> Sketchy
&#31070;&#31192;&#30340; -> Magical
&#30011;&#26399;&#30340; -> Epochal

Rank 5
&#12527;&#12531;&#12480;&#12501;&#12523; -> Fabulous
&#12468;&#12540;&#12472;&#12515;&#12473; -> Dazzling
&#12487;&#12531;&#12472;&#12515;&#12521;&#12473; -> Perilous
&#12477;&#12454;&#12523;&#12501;&#12523; -> Poignant
&#12480;&#12531;&#12487;&#12451; -> Vigorous
&#12495;&#12540;&#12488;&#12501;&#12523; -> Gracious

Rank 6
&#12394;&#12435;&#12391;&#12418;&#12394;&#12356; -> Worthless
&#24179;&#12293;&#20961;&#12293; -> Tolerable
&#27671;&#12395;&#12394;&#12425;&#12394;&#12356; -> Easygoing
&#12393;&#12358;&#12391;&#12418;&#12356;&#12356; -> Diffident
&#28129;&#12293; -> Impartial
&#12405;&#12388;&#12358; -> Competent
&#22320;&#21619; -> Unadorned
&#30446;&#31435;&#12383;&#12394;&#12356; -> Concealed
&#12418;&#12398;&#12383;&#12426;&#12394;&#12356; -> Deficient
&#23384;&#22312;&#12364;&#31354;&#27671; -> Pointless

Esura said:
Could you replay the future arc after you finish it?
You sure can. Just use the clear save from the main arc to start a new one up.

Bladenic

Okay, so Graces definitely has the best Mystic Artes in the series. Everyone's third is amazing, and their fourth is pretty cool too (some are too short though, but Malik's is godly). I couldn't possibly pick a single favorite or even a favorite character based on MA since they all have some awesome ones. Top three would probably be Hubert, Malik, and Cheria, but I love Asbel's, Richard's, and Sophie's too. Pascal probably has my least favorite level 1 and 2 but she more than makes up for it with her level 3. Graces, Rebirth, and Vesperia PS3 have the best MAs for sure.

ShadiWulf

how long do you guys think the future arc would take me? The main game took me about 40 hours, I like to take my time... ;p

Probably not gonna be able to play again till after the semester is over, already falling behind because of this game.

I'll try to come up with some based on both graphs. There is a quality list on the Japanese Wiki which corresponds to the Google Doc if you think it might be more helpful, though.

Perfect, now here's a little spreadsheet of my own.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28452354/Shards.xlsx

Page 1 lists shard types and qualities sorted by location. A few of the locations I wasn't sure how to translate from the JP wiki.

Sneak Institute
Cornell Research Facility
Wind Machine Ruins
Alien Paradise

If anyone knows what these are, I'll fix it up.

Page 2 is the interesting stuff though. This way you can see exactly where the particular quality of shard you are looking for drops rather than looking in every single specific row for the one you want.

If you're looking for a Dazzling quality shard, for example, just go down to row 30 and see that it drops in Zhonecage 2F, Zhonecage 8F, and Sandshroud Ruins.

To keep the width of the page down, I've abbreviated the column headers. However, they appear in the same order as the list on the first page, so you can go back if you want. In the next update I'll add little hover tooltips to each column header.

Also in the next update I'll do the same thing for the shard types (e.g. Attack, Mind, etc). I think this way of organizing is far more useful than listing them grouped by location.

Finally in the next update I'll add shard combinations for each quality.

How do you resell inheritance and resell multiplier work exactly?

In other words, suppose the sell price of an item is X, the resell multiplier is Y, and the resell inheritance is Z. Can I compute the sale price of the item after I dualize it with only these 3 numbers?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Perfect, now here's a little spreadsheet of my own.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28452354/Shards.xlsx

Page 1 lists shard types and qualities sorted by location. A few of the locations I wasn't sure how to translate from the JP wiki.

Sneak Institute
Cornell Research Facility
Wind Machine Ruins
Alien Paradise
Pretty awesome work so far! :D

As for the location names:
Sneak Institute - Fendel Research Laboratory
Cornell Research Facility -
Humanoid Research Center
Wind Machine Ruins - Gustworks Ruins
Alien Paradise - I think they translated this to
"Arcadia Garden"

Perhaps this and that other Google Doc I found should be linked in the OP. This is extremely helpful stuff for those looking for 100% completion/high-powered equipment with high resell value or a platinum.

For page one,
&#12394;&#12435;&#12391;&#12418;&#12394;&#12356; = Worthless (Zonecage 1F)
&#30446;&#31435;&#12383;&#12394;&#12356; = Conspicuous (Zonecage 8F)
&#12418;&#12398;&#12383;&#12426;&#12394;&#12356; = Deficient (Zonecage 9F)

Those rank 6 qualities don't exactly inspire confidence
That's because they decrease the weapon's sell value, lol.

how long do you guys think the future arc would take me? The main game took me about 40 hours, I like to take my time... ;p
Maybe 5-10 hours.

cpp_is_king said:
How do you resell inheritance and resell multiplier work exactly?

In other words, suppose the sell price of an item is X, the resell multiplier is Y, and the resell inheritance is Z. Can I compute the sale price of the item after I dualize it with only these 3 numbers?
I thought the Wiki sorta covered this when I glanced over it. It details five numbers, including those three.

Ok, couple random questions.

1) After beating future arc, the guy who gives you rewards for Magic Carta is gone. Does anyone know if he ever comes back?

2) Also the person in
Telos Astue
who lets you purchase 1 title for each member of the party (price increases each time) seems to be gone. Any idea?

3) Lastly, supposedly you can buy a title for Cheria in Sable Izolle for 100k, but that person is gone too.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You should be able to do all of that stuff when you come back to the main game, especially--for example--since you can find carta in the future arc in the first place.

Did you go back to Lhant after activating the skit in the final dungeon? Or enter the Zone Cage? Seems like generally, stuff is blocked off unless you complete an event.

Firestorm

Ok, about to start now that I'm done Mass Effect 3. Quick questions:

How is Moderate if you normally skip most enemies (unless you run into them) and usually fight bosses underlevelled? I normally play Tales games on Normal. Then again, I only found the bosses in Vesperia to be hard (Wolf, SM17) because I was also trying to get the Secret Mission achievements on them.

Where is the Manual option? I can't seem to find it in options or status... I hate Semi-Auto x.x

Neki

How is Moderate if you normally skip most enemies (unless you run into them) and usually fight bosses underlevelled? I normally play Tales games on Normal. Then again, I only found the bosses in Vesperia to be hard (Wolf, SM17) because I was also trying to get the Secret Mission achievements on them.

Where is the Manual option? I can't seem to find it in options or status... I hate Semi-Auto x.x

Manual option is under Artes. I think Moderate is the perfect difficulty, but you may have a little trouble if you go out of your way to skip enemies. There was only a couple of bosses that I found really hard on moderate before I moved to Hard. I'd recommend you try a harder difficulty and move down if it's too hard, so start with moderate.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp

In the Arte category, should be beside the character portrait.

Well I still can't really figure out a good way to make money, it's quite frustrating. Spend 2 hours in the sandstretch trying to farm Perilous shards and I only got 2 in the entire time. Yippee.

What are other people doing? It's going to cost me close to 700k gald just to go from rank 8 to rank 10 stamp at the Turtlez, not to mention all the other stuff I need to spend money on.

Datschge

If one organizes and times the combos and evading well CC can be earned as quickly as it's used, thus never running short of it. If no CC is left it's the game's way to tell you you're doing it wrong, and there are many ways to correct that.

I really liked my first (and sadly only) Tales - Tales of Symphonia on the Gamecube. How does Graces compare to it when it comes to exploration, cities, quests, etc.? Also is the US version playable on a EU PS3? I somehow don't have faith in the summer 2012 release date for Europe.

If one organizes and times the combos and evading well CC can be earned as quickly as it's used, thus never running short of it. If no CC is left it's the game's way to tell you you're doing it wrong, and there are many ways to correct that.

I'm not getting hit by enemies when I evade but I'm not getting CC back every time I do so. If it's like some Just Frame dodging business to get CC back from it every time guaranteed then that would kind of suck.

Anyway, I'm doing the Future Arc...and I kinda hate it, story wise.
They're WAY too heavy-handed with the stupid romance plots, it's damn near all they talk about. Not to mention the backtracking hell of reusing old dungeons and the cutscenes every 5 minutes. I do really like that Sophie got adopted by Asbel though, as weird as it is that a 19 year old would have a 14 year old daughter. XD

BluWacky

I really liked my first (and sadly only) Tales - Tales of Symphonia on the Gamecube. How does Graces compare to it when it comes to exploration, cities, quests, etc.? Also is the US version playable on a EU PS3? I somehow don't have faith in the summer 2012 release date for Europe.

I can answer the second part - PS3 games are region free, so yes, you can play the US version on an EU machine.

Not that I'd know, since my pre-order still hasn't arrived :( Never ordering from Planet Axel again!

I can answer the second part - PS3 games are region free, so yes, you can play the US version on an EU machine.

Not that I'd know, since my pre-order still hasn't arrived :( Never ordering from Planet Axel again!

Thanks. I have a reliable store which has 3 copies left but for the insane price of 70€ + shipping.

Of course it does depend on the timing...

I know they're both made by Namco, but I didn't think I was playing T6 or SC5 and had to learn JFs. XD

The story of Future Arc has kinda killed any desire in me to play this game. Maybe I'll pick it up again tomorrow or something.

bubnbob

Banned
Yer crazy, AlphaDragoon. Future Arc is exactly what the game needed, considering the game led us on entirely about
Asbel and Cheria, Hubert and Pascal
and even the ENDING of the main arc
with grown up Sophie, because that was impossible and never even brought up once

Top Bottom