• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
If I get no Haseo then I'll be super sad. It should've been out by now. Maybel I'll get the Butler thing...

So i just picked up the school uniform costumes of Sophie and Cheria (can't believe that I spent $8 on 2 costumes and titles). Anyways, I really like the costumes, but can't stand the new battle music. I don't suppose there is a way to wear the costumes and have the original music, is there?

They can go to hell if they took out the Suzaku outfit. That was awesome and the only cool thing about Suzaku anyway so having it on another character would have rocked.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The final dungeon of the future arc is frustrating as hell. It's so confusing.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Wait the final dungeon in F arc is worse then the already stupidly long final dungeon in the main game D: ?!

It's the worst because you can end up going around in circles for many times.

It makes Wallbridge and Wallbridge Ruins a complete joke.

Bladenic

Anyone know by chance where I can find Sophie's and Hubert's second cameo weapons in the final dungeon? I have everyone else's except theirs.

Rpgmonkey

Not sure of the quickest path to any specific weapon, but there's a route that takes you to every item/weapon. Guess I'll just do up to Sophie and Hubert. It basically guides you from intersection to intersection:

1.) From the starting point, go down, right, right, and down. The chest with Sophie's weapon should be there, then take the nearby lift to Base 3.

2.) From Base 3 take the lift to Base 4. The left path has an item, then take the north path and use the warp point to Base 1.

3.) At Base 1 go up, left, up to the starting point, take the right path, and use the lift to Base 4.

4.) At Base 4 open the chest with a Luminous Core, then use the lift to Base 1. At Base 1 go left, down, and use the lift to Base 3.

5.) At Base 3 go up, use the lift to Base 5, open the chest with Pascal's weapon in the area, then use the warp to Base 1.

6.) At Base 1 go down, take the lift to Base 2, take the lower-right path to get Hubert's weapon.

Varion

So i just picked up the school uniform costumes of Sophie and Cheria (can't believe that I spent $8 on 2 costumes and titles). Anyways, I really like the costumes, but can't stand the new battle music. I don't suppose there is a way to wear the costumes and have the original music, is there?
If only. Nope, costume BGMs can't be turned off. Same is the case in Xillia.

Dariso

Neo Member
So according to that unreliable sales info site, this game sold around 127k in its first week. It would be great if it really sold around that number considering the lol advertising this game had.

kayos90

So according to that unreliable sales info site, this game sold 127,783 in its first week. It would be great if it really sold around that number considering how vesperia sold on X360(first week 49k again according to that site) and the lol advertising this game had.

Dude, just delete that info altogether. I can guess where you can get it from and someone's going to ask where you got that from and the site is banned altogether. That and i don't want anyone getting in trouble.

Anyway, if Haseo is not in by next week. I. Will. Break. My. Disc. In. Half.

Dude, just delete that info altogether. I can guess where you can get it from and someone's going to ask where you got that from and the site is banned altogether. That and i don't want anyone getting in trouble.

is it really that bad that he got it from "there" when he's even saying it's unreliable?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

No you won't. That's a waste of money. And it makes the penny-pincher in me cry.

Whenever I stop to Soul Orb girnd, I disable Artes for everyone except a small handful of one type (typically B as I manually grind their As) and set them to B-Only. Makes it go by faster. I think.

Book of Striking (seriously people, get this before grinding Artes oh god) makes it less of a pain at double "use" per ... well, Arte use. Of course, grinding Turtlez to 9 Stamp Level is another matter...
I usually turn their artes off and give them one or two to use unless I think it'll give me a strategic advantage. Malik's progression has been better so far on this playthrough than my previous two playthroughs, for example.

And yeah, the artes grinding shouldn't really start until you get that book. It's so helpful.

lol, thanks~ I remember you mentioning at some point how god awful "leveling" the pot was and how useful learning dualizing would be so I put some effort in figuring them out from the start. Since dualization seems to be the big one that most people are skipping (/not figuring out), I've tried to get my head around it as much as possible.
How far are you in the game, chapter 7 or 8? The Arles Pot at 5000 at that point is a really good thing, imo.

kayos90

No you won't. That's a waste of money. And it makes the penny-pincher in me cry.

I usually turn their artes off and give them one or two to use unless I think it'll give me a strategic advantage. Malik's progression has been better so far on this playthrough than my previous two playthroughs, for example.

And yeah, the artes grinding shouldn't really start until you get that book. It's so helpful.

How far are you in the game, chapter 7 or 8? The Arles Pot at 5000 at that point is a really good thing, imo.

Yeah I'm not going to break it in half. If I really wanted Haseo I'd play my KR version. *sigh*. I really wanted it.... I WANTED IT SO BAD. It's karma. All I do is complain about bad DLC. Then when there's the one bad DLC I want, they don't give it to me. IT'S KARMA!!!

Well, apparently the best way to make money is simply killing stuff on 3F of Zhonecage. Most fights net 5k gald with Book of Wealth, not to mention 30-60k experience per fight. And they drop Perilous shards, so you can just save up your perilous shards and then slap them on your Rare sword when you get one for maximum inheritance.

I just noticed that one of the food items "Tuna Steak" has the effect "Improves Weapon Ability". Interestingly, the activation condition for this food is post battle. Since it can't possibly have an effect on the current battle, does this actually mean that it permanently powers up your weapon every single time it activates?

Neki

Pascal is really starting to click with me. Using Enflame to make her 1CC A-Arte ranged is so helpful, and so is the pull effect of Sudden Impact. I just spam Fearful Storm on her all day though, not sure what else does good amage lol. I wish I had more buttons though, losing a hotkey for Trinity Bit and Enflame sucks. My problem with her before is I kept trying her like a mage, but she's more like a ranged archer with aoe spells, lol. I also hate not having easy way to break Nova Barriers.

ULTROS!

I like the future arc a lot despite the final dungeon. Plus the ending music is nice (was it by Sakuraba?).

The game has solid characters overall and that's good for me.

scy

Malik's A-Artes were the bane of my use grind. Not because they're bad or anything but because he takes forever to do all the hits and is waaaaay vulnerable during it. Thankfully, they require barely any uses so it wasn't for too long but, man ... it was truly awful.

End of Chapter 7, I think. About to
return to Ephinea / earf
. And, yeah, 5000 is quite a bit (except not really when using Book of Striking; seems to be 20/Arte and damn does that just eat through the pot), especially since I see a lot of people with 2000-ish and having beaten the game. I think I had close to 2000 around Chapter 4?

Rice Omelette is such an early great recipe for the mixer; bonus EXP, good Pot development EXP for the energy cost, and >50% Mixer energy activation? Yeah, that'll basically always work.

I just noticed that one of the food items "Tuna Steak" has the effect "Improves Weapon Ability". Interestingly, the activation condition for this food is post battle. Since it can't possibly have an effect on the current battle, does this actually mean that it permanently powers up your weapon every single time it activates?

It's +1 (randomly) per activation supposedly. I can check later, I guess? There's a <50% Mixer recipe that should be pretty useful then.

Well, apparently the best way to make money is simply killing stuff on 3F of Zhonecage. Most fights net 5k gald with Book of Wealth, not to mention 30-60k experience per fight. And they drop Perilous shards, so you can just save up your perilous shards and then slap them on your Rare sword when you get one for maximum inheritance.

I don't think you can actually use a Perilous Shard to go to Perilous unless you're coming from +Evenly all stats Qualities (i.e., the ones that destroy item value). Since mismatched Qualities will just use the lower quality one (e.g., Barbed Weapon + Perilous Shard => Barbed Weapon; Perilous Weapon + Barbed Shard => Barbed Weapon), Perilous Shards aren't actually all that useful. On top of that, Perilous Weapon + Perilous Shard takes you to those +Evenly all stats ones and that's probably not what you want.

What you want are the 7-letter Qualities like Haughty and Untamed. For instance:

Perilous Weapon + Haughty Shard => Haughty Weapon
Haughty Weapon + Untamed Shard => Perilous Weapon
Perilous Weapon + Haughty Shard => Haughty Weapon
Haughty Weapon + Untamed Shard => Perilous Weapon
... etc. etc.

scy

this is the first time I heard about the Book of Striking, where/when can you get it?

You buy it from the Turtlez vendors at Stamp Level 9. Incidentally, you get Asbel's Rare Sword (131 P.Atk, 262 C.Atk, and I think 66 Accuracy?) from them at Stamp Level 7. Takes some Gald to do it, though, but the vendors are everywhere so it's pretty easy to pump money into them.

Datschge

is it really that bad that he got it from "there" when he's even saying it's unreliable?
It's spreading numbers made from thin air that got the site banned. Spreading such numbers saying it's "unreliable" is not making it any better, if it's unreliable it shouldn't be spread.

Plus the ending music is nice (was it by Sakuraba?).
Except for the few cases where a J-pop piece is used instead the ending music is always by Sakuraba. Usually also the best piece of the whole soundtrack.

scy

ugh... looks like its back to grinding and dualizing... *sigh*

Depending on where you're at in the game, it isn't so bad. Chapter 7 gets you Mythril equipment (starting Quality Barbed) and you get 5-letter and 6-letter Quality Shard drops pretty commonly. 3 or 5 dualizes will get you around 100k value items (e.g., ~8x time return) to sell back and Miso Stew in the Mixer makes it take 2-3 fights per temper. The whole process to make nearly 1M Gald should take maybe 20 minutes?

Just outfit everyone in Mythril equipment (Weapons/Armor) and dualize trying to get to Gallant, Haughty, or Magical and then dualize back to Wicked, Barbed, Frosty, or Solemn so you can repeat. Sell them as one of the 7-letter Qualities for the better return (and do make sure to temper them before selling them).

If you can get to the really good 8-letter Qualities, that might be worth trying as well.

RPGCrazied

Thanks scy and Dark Shala. I finally got the Dream Flange to +3 with Formal, Untamed and Perilous. It's enough for floor 9 and 10. I just did floor nine, and I'm glad I did it on Easy. The boss there has a crap ton of HP. Took 12 minutes.

demonkaze

So today makes it three weeks since my copy shipped from Planetaxel and it's still not here. At this point I'm gonna order another copy from somewhere else and sell this one when it gets here. What's the quickest way to import this to the uk from?

Animekatt

Just wanna say that I'm loving Hubert, and
HubertxPascal. Never thought they would try to make that pairing work. Such opposite ways of thinking, but as they say, opposites attract. The endgame sidequests and skits are just too funny for words. I just got through with the Cheri White play. Malik deserved that best supporting actor award. And I died laughing with Hubert as "The Queen". The beach scene was great as well.

Dariso

Neo Member

yeah I know that site is banned, I'm just saying that it would be great if it really sold something similar to that number. One can only hope for the sake of having xillia here. Obviously disregard the accuracy of those numbers since they are coming from that site.

scy

I can't be the only one who reads "that site" in hushed tones while nervously looking around and with imaginary air quotes around it.

Man, ... that site.

RPGCrazied

Obviously it sold good enough for them to bring over Xillia. Unless those trademarks are false. I guess we might find out next month at their conference.

So what characters have the most potential gameplay wise? Best party, who is good to actually control, etc? Is asbel the only one who plays like a normal tales hero, where the B artes don't have charge times and he's combo heavy?

scy

Only the casters have ... well, cast times. Hubert has I think three offensive B-Artes with a cast time but it's a near instant execution vs Asbel's long windups on certain attacks (Incineration Wave takes a second to start up, for instance). I think all of Sophie's offensive Artes are instant use as well.

I find all but Malik to be fun to play as and he's only "meh" due to how open he is when attacking and the AI's "target player" preference. Asbel, Hubert, and Sophie are closest to what you're asking about, though even the casters approach instant use on their B-Artes when you're comboing.

Bladenic

So what characters have the most potential gameplay wise? Best party, who is good to actually control, etc? Is asbel the only one who plays like a normal tales hero, where the B artes don't have charge times and he's combo heavy?

Every character is good. My favorite party combinations are:
Asbel, Malik, Hubert, and Cheria
Asbel, Cheria, Hubert, Sophie
Asbel, Cheria, Sophie, Malik

Pascal is really strong too.

kewlmyc

Obviously it sold good enough for them to bring over Xillia. Unless those trademarks are false. I guess we might find out next month at their conference.

I learned that trademarks don't mean shit with video companies, especially Namco Bandai. However, if "site that shall not be named" is correct and Graces f sold well, then Xilla will probably come over. Hopefully as a DC version. When is the next Tales Of Festival? That's probably where they'll reveal a DC version.

I don't think you can actually use a Perilous Shard to go to Perilous unless you're coming from +Evenly all stats Qualities (i.e., the ones that destroy item value). Since mismatched Qualities will just use the lower quality one (e.g., Barbed Weapon + Perilous Shard => Barbed Weapon; Perilous Weapon + Barbed Shard => Barbed Weapon), Perilous Shards aren't actually all that useful. On top of that, Perilous Weapon + Perilous Shard takes you to those +Evenly all stats ones and that's probably not what you want.

Umm, correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that wasn't the point. For example, when you look in your dualize book under the entry for Perilous quality, you will see that it has various effects such as adding certain amounts to your C. Atk, P. Atk, Acc, etc. Those values correspond to the shard you're using, not the resulting quality. I would expect the same to be true for resale value.

Now that I think about it, I'm almost sure this is true, because I know for sure that I am constantly using Barbed quality shards for my magic users when dualizing their weapons, since it always gives C. Atk +8 regardless of what quality the weapon ends up being as a result of the combination.

scy

Umm, correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that wasn't the point. For example, when you look in your dualize book under the entry for Perilous quality, you will see that it has various effects such as adding certain amounts to your C. Atk, P. Atk, Acc, etc. Those values correspond to the shard you're using, not the resulting quality. I would expect the same to be true for resale value.

Now that I think about it, I'm almost sure this is true, because I know for sure that I am constantly using Barbed quality shards for my magic users when dualizing their weapons, since it always gives C. Atk +8

I'm about 99% certain that they match the resulting quality and not the shard used otherwise the system wouldn't work the way it does (e.g., there'd be no way to get the +Evenly all stats Qualities until post-game and the same for the special case Qualities that don't exist on regular Shards).

I'm at work so I can't exactly check right now but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

I thought it was the resulting quality for the weapon that the stat boosts was based off of. I'm at work so I can't check, but wouldn't the same shard produce different results on different weapons if the original qualities were different?

bubnbob

Banned
For main game I ended up using Asbel (main), Sophie, Hubert, Malik

For future arc I used Asbel, Sophie, Malik,
Richard since I wanted to see how he handled now that he had all these new abilities

Cheria really is dead weight. I had no use for her. At least on Normal, if I needed some revival or healing for higher difficulties I could see her use.

scy

Cheria really is dead weight. I had no use for her. At least on Normal, if I needed some revival or healing for higher difficulties I could see her use.

Cheria is probably my most broken character on Chaos. Fight starts -> Indignation -> 70k everywhere -> 8s victory. Her ability to heal is pretty much secondary to how ridiculously strong some of her spells are (or just how much hit-stun some of them have that lead right into combo-until-dead bosses).

Sagitario

Got Pascal last night. Kind of funny when she explains how things work.
I can definitely see people getting annoyed by Asbel now.

Well...
4th party member.
Still missing around 5-6 A-artes.
Only have 3 or 4 B-artes.
CC 5-8, IIRC.

I think I am getting better at battling, but I haven't quite grasped the combat system completely yet (I am probably far from doing it, but I got the basics).

Since enemies were dying in less than 10 seconds so frequently, I started battling on hard (even with bosses).

I would love a practice mode or arena because I am still running out of CC (although sometimes a "CC+9" message appears but I have no idea what I did).
The battles are a little chaotic, to the point where I can not distinguish when Asbel finishes an arte and starts the next one until is too late into the combo.
I fancy some practicing but enemies are to scarce and die too fast... one of the reasons I liked Vesperia's skill system so much: activate the minimum damage skill and you got yourself a practice mode.

I believe the game relies in memorization just a bit too much, specially when it comes to A-artes (stuff like their properties and skills) and it doesn't help you can't change their positions or the stick direction to perform them, so I am constantly looking at the artes menu while fighting.

Despite all, I am really enjoying the battles, but I wish I could spend a little more time doing them because I want to get better and just get the combat to the point where I feel like I am good enough and I don't have to worry about CC that much :D

bubnbob

Banned
I would love a practice mode or arena because I am still running out of CC (although sometimes a "CC+9" message appears but I have no idea what I did).

There is an arena that allows solo. You can also equip a book (Book of Solitude) that limits participating members in regular battles to 1

scy

Chances are you hit all the weaknesses on an enemy or hit a stunned enemy with a 1CC A-Arte.

I fancy some practicing but enemies are to scarce and die too fast... one of the reasons I liked Vesperia's skill system so much: activate the minimum damage skill and you got yourself a practice mode.

I hear ya, but more for skill use grinding. That said, use Dark Bottles and grind an area near a Turtlez vendor (or a city, I guess). There's one coming up in
Barona Castle
; there will be a Turtlez vendor in one room and then a hallway with ~3+ spawns you can respawn infinitely with a Dark Bottle.

What's the best way to use the Eleth Mixer and how to raise it quickly? I am currently on chapter 5 and I barely have 1,000.

My preferred method for early game is Fried Rice (Crab Fried Rice if you have it works as well, though I wager you haven't gotten much Crab by Chapter 5) since it activates in combat >10s, which is really easy to get. Rice Omelette is a simple post-battle recipe that activates almost always at >50% Mixer Energy and gives you bonus EXP; Chicken Curry is nice to swap in when your energy gets low since it activates at <50% Mixer Energy.

If you have them, Daishi Stew (post-battle: Fight <20s) or Miso Stew (post-battle: >50% Mixer Energy) are also great. Basically, just look for easy to activate food items with high costs. They're not exactly 1:1 in terms of Energy used -> EXP gained but it's a good enough baseline. Ideally, you want two food items (one in-battle, one post-battle) that will always activate. On top of that, Book of Potential (+Growth), Book of Satiation (Cook an additional food in-battle), and Book of Restraint (Cooking costs half as much but restores one-fourth their normal amount) help.

Edit: Locations might help:

Book Locations:
Potential: During the story
(Warrior's Roost "Boss" Fight)
Satiation: During the story
(Parasite Boss in the Rockgagong)
Restraint: Sable Izole (Password Chest)

Top Bottom