• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

kewlmyc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX4jCo3bsB0

Dark Schala posted it earlier, sounds like something straight out of Kirby to be honest, rofl. Who has the best costume out of Hubert/Asbel/Pascal/Cheria? I'm thinking Hubert is going to get the costume.

Thanks. It's alright I suppose. Better than the Idolmaster's battle theme (shudders). Will hold me over till I get Fury Sparks or Beat the Angel. I wish there was a way to wear the costumes, but not hear the music. And don't say mute button. :p

Wait, would not releasing the costumes make the titles screen incomplete? So don't they have to release them?

Zabuza

Banned
I was talking about random battle themes. Holy crap though Tales has a bunch of godlike boss themes. Fatalize is definitely my favorite song off of Symphonia's OST though.
Oh I see I see. Tales game's battle themes have always been my favorite for JRPGs. I think it has something to do with the battle systems. I just have to pause and listen when I hear a good one!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Thanks. It's alright I suppose. Better than the Idolmaster's battle theme (shudders). Will hold me over till I get Fury Sparks or Beat the Angel. I wish there was a way to wear the costumes, but not hear the music. And don't say mute button. :p

Wait, would not releasing the costumes make the titles screen incomplete? So don't they have to release them?
The Beat the Angel remix in this game is terrible. No bells = No sale. At least the Radiant Mythology 2 version did it right. Actually, RM2 had a lot of nicely-remixed themes. I really like the Legendia ones: Battle Artist and Seeking Victory.

Well... the titles for the DLC costumes don't count towards the trophy titles, but they are included in the title count when you buy them.

Finally beat the main boss of the main game on Evil. God, so annoying. I can't imagine this on Chaos.
I've done an Asbel Solo Chaos before.

Use Infernal Torrent and [whatever Hadou Meppuu is now because I can't remember] over and over. LOL.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
so shitty about the DLC costumes, I really hate the default costumes but I'm not buying into scamco's strategy here.

kewlmyc

The Beat the Angel remix in this game is terrible. No bells = No sale. At least the Radiant Mythology 2 version did it right.

Actually, RM2 had a lot of nicely-remixed themes. I really like the Legendia ones. Battle Artist and Seeking Victory.

Well... the titles for the DLC costumes don't count towards the trophy titles, but they are included in the title count when you buy them.

No bells? That's sad to know.

Hopefully we still get all the costumes. The Haseo Asbel and Lelouch Richard costumes are classy.

RPGCrazied

The Beat the Angel remix in this game is terrible. No bells = No sale. At least the Radiant Mythology 2 version did it right. Actually, RM2 had a lot of nicely-remixed themes. I really like the Legendia ones: Battle Artist and Seeking Victory.

I've done an Asbel Solo Chaos before.

Use Infernal Torrent and [whatever Hadou Meppuu is now because I can't remember] over and over. LOL.

It was at the end, he just did nothing but spam the falling rocks. I wasted all my items on this fight, 15 of everything lol

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Someone who played the JP version of the game check if the titles for the Geass/Haseo costumes are even in the title grid. If not we'll never see them. It shows their plans of localization anyway.

RPGCrazied

Hey Dark Shala, can you make High-Grade cyrstals? Just wondering, cause if not, it'll will seriously take a long time to get another one. 1.6% chance.

scy

Well, I was going to do a quick example of some dualizing for profit but I apparently burned out most my good 5-letter Shards and basically all of my 6-letter ones :| Barely managed a 100k profit after 4 dualizes (though, would've been higher but I wanted to see if I could recover a massive screw up).

Oh well. Maybe after some grinding for new shards and I'll just do a Haughty -> Solemn -> Magical -> Solemn -> Magical rotation or something. Also, Armor beats Weapons for this if only for the convenience of checking the sell price without unequipping, lol.

That said, I did double-check a few dualizes and dualizing, say, a [3] Attack with a [4] Attack will leave the [3] Attack on the Weapon it was on. So ... there's that, at least.

Hey Dark Shala, can you make High-Grade cyrstals? Just wondering, cause if not, it'll will seriously take a long time to get another one. 1.6% chance.

Off-hand, Lump of Clay + Decaying Sword. I'll double-check in a bit.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Why is
Veigue
's voice so deep.

Needs more Adult Link voice. He sounds so weird here. :|

kayos90 said:
Someone who played the JP version of the game check if the titles for the Geass/Haseo costumes are even in the title grid. If not we'll never see them. It shows their plans of localization anyway.
Haseo was title 159.
Geass for Asbel was 163.

scy said:
Yep, that's right.

RPGCrazied

Well, I was going to do a quick example of some dualizing for profit but I apparently burned out most my good 5-letter Shards and basically all of my 6-letter ones :| Barely managed a 100k profit after 4 dualizes (though, would've been higher but I wanted to see if I could recover a massive screw up).

Oh well. Maybe after some grinding for new shards and I'll just do a Haughty -> Solemn -> Magical -> Solemn -> Magical rotation or something. Also, Armor beats Weapons for this if only for the convenience of checking the sell price without unequipping, lol.

That said, I did double-check a few dualizes and dualizing, say, a [3] Attack with a [4] Attack will leave the [3] Attack on the Weapon it was on. So ... there's that, at least.

That was it, thanks. But I'm out of perilous shards. ;/ I have the Dream Flange now. Where do those shards drop?

scy

That was it, thanks. But I'm out of perilous shards. ;/ I have the Dream Flange now. Where do those shards drop?

Erm, you don't use a Perilous Shard to give it Perilous. If I recall, Dreamer's Flange starts as Epochal so you use Haughty to make it Perilous.

And, as far as I know, Shard Qualities are just random, not really area specific; their type is area specific though, not that it matters for raising the value of the weapon.

Sagitario

Dawn of the New World had such a great battle tunes.
The new arrangements of old songs are better than the originals.

Plus, it had this boss theme:

Person Who Conceives Frenzy:

One of my favorites, along with:
The Man in Red Armor Go Shiina <3

I am really enjoying the ToD2 battle theme in Graces, too bad you have to wear the costume to hear it.

No bells? That's sad to know.
Indeed.
Worst.Arrangement.Ever. :mad:
The bells are what make Beat the Angel so good!

WOW @ Radiant Mythology arrangements... DAT BEAT THE ANGEL... So good! :O
The ones from Legendia too. I am such a nerd for battle themes.

scy

I don't even have that shard. :p

Just to note, Perilous isn't a requirement. It's just the greatest +Value% in one shot. You don't have to use it. If you wanted, you could get it to 200k+ off just 4-letter Qualities.

You can just use one of the 6-letter Qualities (say, Wicked, Barbed, Frosty) to make the 7-letter Qualities leading to Perilous. So, let's work backwards:

What gives you Perilous:
Untamed + Untamed
Untamed + Haughty
Haughty + Sketchy
Haughty + Epochal

What gives you Untamed:
Barbed + Stuffy
Formal + Solemn

What gives you Haughty:
Wicked + Frosty
Barbed + Solemn
Stuffy + Solemn
Solemn + Solemn

What gives you Sketchy:
Barbed + Barbed
Barbed + Frosty
Frosty + Frosty
Frosty + Formal

Though, I wouldn't actually use Sketchy since it has low value mods (x2 Multiplier, +30% Inheritance).

What gives you Epochal:
Wicked + Barbed

Figure out what you have of the 7-letter Qualities and make the Dreamer's Flange the other one. For instance, if you have an Untamed Quality Shard and you have all of the 6-letter Quality Shards, I'd do the following to get the Dreamer's Flange to an Untamed Quality:

Epochal (Dreamer's Flange) + Formal (Shard) => Formal (Dreamer's Flange)
Formal (Dreamer's Flange) + Solemn (Shard) => Untamed (Dreamer's Flange)
Untamed (Dreamer's Flange) + Untamed (Shard) => Perilous (Dreamer's Flange)

Does your CC recover slower on higher difficulties? I just bumped it up to Hard and it seems to be the case, but maybe its just my imagination. Also, is there any reason not to play on Hard on the first play through? Is it that bad at all, or is it relatively easy?

RPGCrazied

Epochal (Dreamer's Flange) + Formal (Shard) => Formal (Dreamer's Flange)
Formal (Dreamer's Flange) + Solemn (Shard) => Untamed (Dreamer's Flange)
Untamed (Dreamer's Flange) + Untamed (Shard) => Perilous (Dreamer's Flange)

Thank you.

I'll try this, been wanting to get into the last couple floors of the Zhonecage for a few days now, lol.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Getting 100 titles is frustrating. Also the maxing the Eleth pot. :|

RPGCrazied

Getting 100 titles is frustrating. Also the maxing the Eleth pot. :|

I know, my Malik is close. Has like 96 or so. If only I'd buy those costumes on the store, that would help, but I won't. My pot is barely 2k. I'm not going to max it on this playthrough, which is still my first. I'm not starting a new one until I beat the game on Chaos, beat Zhonecage, and get 100 titles for everyone.

scy

I'm glad slots aren't required for it. I'm at 5000 Energy but still only 9 slots :/ I do have 100+ Titles for everyone though. Book of Striking really speeds up the Arte use grind and those titles add up.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, I'm up to 2500 and I should be leaving Riot Peak (because of lots of dualization and grinding by using food 2x in battle). Now that I have both the book of satiation, and the Double Consumption book in-hand, levelling the pot up should go faster.

I remember when I originally played the game for the first time and barely levelled the Arles Pot by then... making my 6-8 hours of grinding with Miso Oden and Crab Fried Rice on Lhant Hill with a dark bottle really lengthy to the point of 10ish hours.

scy said:
I'm glad slots aren't required for it. I'm at 5000 Energy but still only 9 slots :/ I do have 100+ Titles for everyone though. Book of Striking really speeds up the Arte use grind and those titles add up.
Yeah, that's what I used for titles towards the end of the first time. Titles aren't really hard to get as long as you know requirements for them or if you grind a little or if you use other characters manually (which is what I ended up doing). I had about 72 or so for Asbel last time I checked.

It's too bad that this game doesn't have a 1-damage skill like in Xillia because that would make obtaining the artes' numbers a little easier.

Also, scy, you haven't failed to impress me with how well you've been using dualization. That's incredible.

Dariso

Neo Member
Man 3.99 for a single costume is way too expensive. Even Capcom wasn't that greedy with their SF costumes. Lol $28 for all the school costumes.

Firestorm

Manual option is under Artes. I think Moderate is the perfect difficulty, but you may have a little trouble if you go out of your way to skip enemies. There was only a couple of bosses that I found really hard on moderate before I moved to Hard. I'd recommend you try a harder difficulty and move down if it's too hard, so start with moderate.
Thanks. Will look at it Artes. And yeah I think Moderate should be good for me. Can always grind if absolutely required but I'm sure I'll find a way to eke out wins!

So I'm hitting the part of the game where I run out of titles to actually learn and I am stuck mastering my old ones for some of my characters. I can spam artes so much game. :[

scy

Yeah, that's what I used for titles towards the end of the first time. Titles aren't really hard to get as long as you know requirements for them or if you grind a little or if you use other characters manually (which is what I ended up doing). I had about 72 or so for Asbel last time I checked.

Whenever I stop to Soul Orb girnd, I disable Artes for everyone except a small handful of one type (typically B as I manually grind their As) and set them to B-Only. Makes it go by faster. I think.

Book of Striking (seriously people, get this before grinding Artes oh god) makes it less of a pain at double "use" per ... well, Arte use. Of course, grinding Turtlez to 9 Stamp Level is another matter...

It's too bad that this game doesn't have a 1-damage skill like in Xillia because that would make obtaining the artes' numbers a little easier.

I was hoping the joke weapons would have that as an effect. Such a pain to grind Arte use when a lot of fights end before two 4CC A-Artes, even on Chaos :(

Also, scy, you haven't failed to impress me with how well you've been using dualization. That's incredible.

lol, thanks~ I remember you mentioning at some point how god awful "leveling" the pot was and how useful learning dualizing would be so I put some effort in figuring them out from the start. Since dualization seems to be the big one that most people are skipping (/not figuring out), I've tried to get my head around it as much as possible.

I stopped getting new titles for Malik and Cheria, this make me want to switch those two character with other character so I can keep leveling their titles, but if I do that, then Malik and Cheria probably won't get more new titles.

any tips to keep getting new titles?

Top Bottom